The Cricket Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Matt »

Patterson is the only Shield player to feature in the top 10 runs scorers in the past 3 seasons. Yet only debuting today. WOW!

Im happy for Labu. Yo score 80 is a damn good effort. But IMO, he looks out of place at this level.

Lets be honest, Sri Lanka are only marginally better than a State side ATM. They dont have a top 10 bowler. Their best player went home from NZ injured. Mendis scored heaps of runs last yr, but he is young and, up til then, known for brain fades.

I still believe Head and Harris are marginal at this level. The reason is temperament and mental strength. They both are prone to brain fades, and they both chase wide deliveries. Head as an Aussie VC is scary for the state of our cricket.

Khawaja has been poor this summer. Would love to know how much of an effect his brothers situation has had on his mental strength/ capacity. He hasnt looked himself much this yr.

With the strange County rules, i suspect Pucovski plays here in Canberra. If Burns fails again, its a coin toss between him and Uzi for being dropped in the next Test.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Khawaja has been poor for quite some time, it's only been highlighted by the fact Smith and Warner are out of the side.

There's no coin toss, whatever is happening outside doesn't hide the fact he has just been dismissed 3 balls in a row from the Sri Lankan spinner. That shows he is not up to test level and your criticism of others is unwarranted given we don't have a decent sample size.
WorkChoice
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Lakmal on a hat trick.

Aus 7-272
WorkChoice
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I reckon it's almost worth having a tonk and declaring tonight
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

I mentioned brain fades.
Head is out.
Hmmm...
There is a big reason he only avgs 36 at state level. Brain fades is it.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Talk about the kiss of death, my 2 picks to move up the order out for ducks.

Nice try Matt, top score yet has a brain fade because he gets out lbw.

Your referring to his dismisalls at W.A which he seems to have learnt from.

He is young and obviously someone I have confidence Justin Langer will be able to work with, Usmin is a lost cause.
WorkChoice
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

LP Raider wrote: January 25, 2019, 6:43 pm Khawaja has been poor for quite some time, it's only been highlighted by the fact Smith and Warner are out of the side.

There's no coin toss, whatever is happening outside doesn't hide the fact he has just been dismissed 3 balls in a row from the Sri Lankan spinner. That shows he is not up to test level and your criticism of others is unwarranted given we don't have a decent sample size.
6 innings since passing 50. Which was that 70 odd vs India.

10 innings since his last 100.

Last 20 innings he has scored 2x 100s and 4x 50s.

Not great, not awful either.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

LP Raider wrote: January 25, 2019, 7:22 pm Talk about the kiss of death, my 2 picks to move up the order out for ducks.

He is young and obviously someone I have confidence Justin Langer will be able to work with, Usmin is a lost cause.
Head had a life on 20 odd today.

As i mentioned earlier, Sri Lanka arent exactly good.

Then referred what looked like a Watto effort live. TBH, the Hawkeye made his referral look better than it was.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Matt wrote: January 25, 2019, 6:26 pm Patterson is the only Shield player to feature in the top 10 runs scorers in the past 3 seasons. Yet only debuting today. WOW!

Im happy for Labu. Yo score 80 is a damn good effort. But IMO, he looks out of place at this level.

Lets be honest, Sri Lanka are only marginally better than a State side ATM. They dont have a top 10 bowler. Their best player went home from NZ injured. Mendis scored heaps of runs last yr, but he is young and, up til then, known for brain fades.

I still believe Head and Harris are marginal at this level. The reason is temperament and mental strength. They both are prone to brain fades, and they both chase wide deliveries. Head as an Aussie VC is scary for the state of our cricket.

Khawaja has been poor this summer. Would love to know how much of an effect his brothers situation has had on his mental strength/ capacity. He hasnt looked himself much this yr.

With the strange County rules, i suspect Pucovski plays here in Canberra. If Burns fails again, its a coin toss between him and Uzi for being dropped in the next Test.
The Sri Lankan bowling attack is not better than any shield attack tbh
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

LP Raider wrote: January 25, 2019, 6:43 pm Khawaja has been poor for quite some time, it's only been highlighted by the fact Smith and Warner are out of the side.

Nah he hasn’t. He was our best bat last year. He was tremendous before India. Dropping Khawaja would be suicide.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Matt wrote: January 25, 2019, 7:29 pm
LP Raider wrote: January 25, 2019, 7:22 pm Talk about the kiss of death, my 2 picks to move up the order out for ducks.

Head had a life on 20 odd today.

As i mentioned earlier, Sri Lanka arent exactly good.

Then referred what looked like a Watto effort live. TBH, the Hawkeye made his referral look better than it was.
I know why Patterson reviewed that, but thats a Watto review too.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Regulation missed chance in the slips from the first slips man.
WorkChoice
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

LP Raider wrote: January 25, 2019, 8:26 pm Regulation missed chance in the slips from the first slips man.
Should’ve been caught but definitely not regulation.

The slips cordon is a shocker atm without Warner, Smith, Handscomb and Marsh.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Patrick Cummins!
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Wheres Bill Lawry when u need him?!?!

"Last ball of the day, can you believe that?!?"

I can still hear you Bill.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

julian87 wrote: January 25, 2019, 7:38 pm

Nah he hasn’t. He was our best bat last year. He was tremendous before India. Dropping Khawaja would be suicide.
I'd go as far as saying Usi is our only genuine test class batsman. Currently not in his best form but still no justification to drop him.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

julian87 wrote: January 25, 2019, 8:28 pm
LP Raider wrote: January 25, 2019, 8:26 pm Regulation missed chance in the slips from the first slips man.

Marnus was pretty good at 3rd slip yesterday.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

julian87 wrote: January 25, 2019, 8:28 pm

Its infuriating from Uzi. How good was that catch at gully to take Kohli in the 1st Test of the summer?!? Then doesnt even get a finger on that.

Burns and Labuschagne look like they have good hands.

Renshaw is a slipper too isnt he?
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

He averages 42 in tests and 32 in ODI, it's hardly suicide.

He was hardly tremendous, he had one good game against Pakistan which has inflated his stats.

Bog against Sri Lanka at home which everyone here acknowledges are weaker than a state side, the mind truely boggles.
WorkChoice
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

LP Raider wrote: January 25, 2019, 8:43 pm

He was hardly tremendous, he had one good game against Pakistan which has inflated his stats.

Bog against Sri Lanka at home which everyone here acknowledges are weaker than a state side, the mind truely boggles.
It would be nice if we had another batsman who averaged over 40 in tests. You only drop somebody if you have a better option. Right now we don't
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

LP Raider wrote: January 25, 2019, 8:43 pm

Not suicide yet no one in th country does as well at state level as he does at international level.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

WBBL Final on now..

Sixers V Heat

Sixers batting.

Marry me Elise Perry.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Only 2 days gone but a some observations on a few of our new players.

Harris - Making a habit of getting a start and not going on with it. Looks a test batsman on talent but not temperament (yet). Some guidance from the coach on the mental aspect of being a test opener is what's needed here. Its a case of whether Langer can teach that part of the game, which he excelled in.

Labuschagne - I'm still on the fence about him. Don't think he'd earned a test cap to begin with but now he's got one he needs to be given a chance. Decent knock against India followed by a well crafted 81 here suggested he's taking his opportunity. Impressed with his patience and shot selection in the early part of his innings and his 50 was excellent. Concentration started to wobble after that and got a bit loose. Like Harris its a matter of improving the mental aspect.

Head - Top scorer with 84 although should have been out earlier except for some poor keeping and slips placement. He's been our top scorer this summer which should cement his spot for the immediate term. Technique wise he's still a concern for me. Fends at a lot of balls outside off stump and I get the feeling he'll struggle in the Ashes.

Patterson - Really impressed with what I saw in his debut knock. Good footwork, plays through the line nicely and shows the full face of the bat. Admittedly he's had a real good look at this bowling attack with his time at the crease in Hobart. Might not get another chance this test but a decent score in the next could secure his spot for the Ashes.

Richardson - Really come along nicely as a bowler this past 18 months. If he continues he should establish himself as our 4th quick. I think he's a must for the Ashes and maybe even take a starting spot at the expense of one of the big 3. Reminds me a lot of Ben Hilfenhaus. Fast/medium swing bowlers often do well with the Duke on the English decks and he's the perfect type.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

With Smith and Warner to return all those players above are fighting for basically 4 spots.

And you can add Handscomb, SMarsh MMarsh as well.

Head has done enough this summer for Ashes selection I reckon and Koala will be selected.

That's 4 batsmen which leaves the rest fighting for 2 spots..
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

And the Sydney Sixers have finished with 7/131 from their 20 overs..

Heat to bat shortly..
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Brisbane Heat win the WBBL final.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 26, 2019, 9:47 am Only 2 days gone but a some observations on a few of our new players.

Harris - Making a habit of getting a start and not going on with it. Looks a test batsman on talent but not temperament (yet). Some guidance from the coach on the mental aspect of being a test opener is what's needed here. Its a case of whether Langer can teach that part of the game, which he excelled in.

Labuschagne - I'm still on the fence about him. Don't think he'd earned a test cap to begin with but now he's got one he needs to be given a chance. Decent knock against India followed by a well crafted 81 here suggested he's taking his opportunity. Impressed with his patience and shot selection in the early part of his innings and his 50 was excellent. Concentration started to wobble after that and got a bit loose. Like Harris its a matter of improving the mental aspect.

Head - Top scorer with 84 although should have been out earlier except for some poor keeping and slips placement. He's been our top scorer this summer which should cement his spot for the immediate term. Technique wise he's still a concern for me. Fends at a lot of balls outside off stump and I get the feeling he'll struggle in the Ashes.

Patterson - Really impressed with what I saw in his debut knock. Good footwork, plays through the line nicely and shows the full face of the bat. Admittedly he's had a real good look at this bowling attack with his time at the crease in Hobart. Might not get another chance this test but a decent score in the next could secure his spot for the Ashes.

Richardson - Really come along nicely as a bowler this past 18 months. If he continues he should establish himself as our 4th quick. I think he's a must for the Ashes and maybe even take a starting spot at the expense of one of the big 3. Reminds me a lot of Ben Hilfenhaus. Fast/medium swing bowlers often do well with the Duke on the English decks and he's the perfect type.
A good post, and really good assessment. I agree.

Last night the commentators were saying Patterson has a bit of Alistar Cook about him. The more I watched, the more I agreed. I can see some similarities in his technique/batting mannerisms.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Skull loves a tall tail, chewing the fat, and clowning around, BUT, he actually knows his stuff. I really miss him on the radio.

This is a good read, and a little uplifting as far as Aussie cricket goes.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/au ... 629299d5c2
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Pretty sure that was Nickman on the Fox coverage.

You at the cricket Nickman.
WorkChoice
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Yeah that’s what I thought, the boxing kangaroo

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This probably won't last three days...
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Brewdle wrote: January 26, 2019, 4:15 pm Yeah that’s what I thought, the boxing kangaroo

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Has to be him, looked liked he's a had few.
WorkChoice
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He is at the cricket and he appears to be wearing boxing gloves.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

What a catch! Cummins 10 wickets.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That's a spanking

Innings loss in 2 3/4 days