The Cricket Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Matt »

This wont be surprising to most, but Starc has dismantled Tassie, taking 5 for in both innings.
Smith a 100, then 2 in the 2nd innings.
Warner not many, then not many, but not out.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Did you see the last wicket in the SAF vs India series?!?!
Talk about knowing when things arent going your way...
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Matt wrote: October 23, 2019, 8:07 am Did you see the last wicket in the SAF vs India series?!?!
Talk about knowing when things arent going your way...
Yeah I saw that..

Unlucky I reckon.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

We are about a month away from back to back Tests vs the Paki's. The 1st is at the Gabba on the 21st of Nov and the 2nd is the Night Test at Adelaide on the 29th.

Its a very mixed schedule between now and then, with Intl T20s vs SL (PMs XI is on tonight in Canberra, and I knew nothing about it), and 2 more rounds of both the Shield and 1-Dayers.

So...
We are at the halfway point of local red ball cricket, as far as proving your worth for selection, who you got? This little summary isnt too bad.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id ... 9RWg5b2tg4

My 2 cents on the squad:
1. Warner
2. Harris
3. Labuschange
4. Smith
5. Wade
6. Stoinis
7. Paine
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazelwood
12. Pattinson
13. Pucovski

Legend:
On shaky ground, but holds spot
Locked in
New/ sensible selection

So, since the Ashes, our openers are still a worry.
I think Warner will be there, but since coming home he has scores of 125, 0, 1, 15* and 4 in the 1-Dayer the other night.
Harris, who will probably hold his spot, has 5, 0, 61* in the first few 1-Dayers, then 116, 69, 8 in the Shield, with 1 in the 1-Dayer the other night.

Burns has 54*, 65*, 14 and 7 in the first few 1-Dayers, then 13, 52, 39, 22 in the Shield, with 0 in the 1-Dayer the other night.
Bancroft has 78, 35, 11, and 1 in the first few 1-Dayers, then 30, 0, 10, 6* in the Shield, with a match winning 76 in the 1-Dayer the other night.
Khawaja has 138 and 112 in the first few 1-Dayers, then 1, 24, 2, 0 (TBF, last 2 were rough), with a 5 in the 1-Dayer the other night.

IMO, none of those guys are putting their hands up. Burns has been consistent without going big. Harris has red ball runs. Uzi and Bangers have short form runs.

Other options:
Renshaw has 22, 52*, 1 and 66 in the first few 1-Dayers, then 19, 12, 18 and 24 in the Shield, with 0 in the 1-Dayer the other night.
Maddinson has 87, 10 and 0 in the first few 1-Dayers, then 224 (on that salt flat of a pitch), 37, and 37 in the Shield, with 28 in the 1-Dayer the other night.
SMarsh has 8, 42, 82 and 33 in the first few 1-Dayers, then 9, 85, 214, and 0* in the Shield, with 30 in the 1-Dayer the other night.

Ill throw out a rookie bolter, who is no hope in hell:
Caleb Jewell from Tassie, opens in the short stuff, but middle order in the longer stuff, 6, 45, 64 and 104, in the first few 1-Dayers, then 52, 10 and 14 in the Shield, with 24 in the 1-Dayer the other night.

TBF, the middle order hasnt been much better than the openers since the Ashes.
***MMarsh breaking his hand will open a spot up, but here are his numbers, 14, 30 and 0, then 41 and 53 in the Shield (2 for).
Wade should hold his spot with two 100s in the Ashes, but, only has 20 and 3 n the first few 1-Dayers, 40, 20 and 40 in the Shield.
Head has 1, 80* and 51 the first few 1-Dayers, then 51, 0 and 12 in the Shield, with 3 in the 1-Dayer the other night.
Patterson has been injured, so that doesnt help but has 23 and 9 the first few 1-Dayers, then 16* in the Shield win.
Pucovski has 34, 10, and 2 the first few 1-Dayers, then 123 (on that salt flat of a pitch), 64 and 2 in the Shield, with 0 in the 1-Dayer the other night.

Other options:
Stoinis is my obvious replacement for MMarsh off this season so far, with 101*, 16, 19 and 1 the first few 1-Dayers, then 61, 57 and 56 in the Shield (has 1 for, 0 for and 3 for in his 3 bowls), with 45 in the 1-Dayer the other night.
Maxwell has 51, 34 and 10 the first few 1-Dayers, then 43 (on that salt flat of a pitch), 1 and 57 in the Shield, with 2 in the 1-Dayer the other night.
SMarsh has 8, 42, 82 and 33 in the first few 1-Dayers, then 9, 85, 214, and 0* in the Shield, with 30 in the 1-Dayer the other night.

Keeper...
Paine got his 2nd 100 in 4500+ days, he will hold his spot, but I still think his days are numbered.

IMO, no one is putting their hand up.
Carey's numbers are ok, but its short form really, with 29, 36, 5 and 80* in the first few 1-Dayers, then 117 (on that salt flat of a pitch), 14 and 20 in the Shield, with 79 in the 1-Dayer the other night.
Nevill has 26, 40, 1 and 11* in the first few 1-Dayers, then 27, 31* and 0 in the Shield, with 56 in the 1-Dayer the other night.
Pierson has done nothing for QLD.
Harper nothing for Vic.
Phillipe isnt keeping in long form, but is batting ok for WA.
Inglis has 42, 40 and 58, which is consistent, playing for WA, actually a bolter option giving the lack there of.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

WARNIES XI
Warner
Khawaja
Labu
Smith
Wade
Pucovski
Paine
Pattinson
Cummins
Lyon
Hazelwood
Starc 12th (caveted by 'conditions pending')
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Wade isn't on shaky ground, he's the only guy in the last 12 months outside of Smith with multiple centuries

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

This summer of cricket doesn't particularly excite me.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Azza wrote: October 24, 2019, 4:08 pm This summer of cricket doesn't particularly excite me.
Until the woft of freshly cut grass enters the nostrils and the sound of leather on willow eh Azza !!!

Then it's...

I LOVE THA ?>£€¥=+*#% CRICKET !!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Azza wrote:This summer of cricket doesn't particularly excite me.
More exciting than India, who I might add are here again next summer

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

-TW- wrote: October 24, 2019, 5:11 pm

The Kiwis are coming right ?

About time..sick of seeing that smirk on Kohli and his mates...
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

-TW- wrote: October 24, 2019, 5:11 pm

I'm not a big fan of the Indian team either, but we have a strong rivalry with them which does make the summer interesting. Having said this, them coming next summer is pretty quick isn't it? Given they were here last summer.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Yeah, it's due to the overlap of the old FTP and the test championship

But twice in 3 summers is a bit much

Keen to see the Kiwis on boxing day though

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The Kiwis haven't played in a Boxing Day test since 1987.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-PJ- wrote: October 24, 2019, 5:38 pm The Kiwis haven't played in a Boxing Day test since 1987.
Wow, that's actually quite sad. Shows a lack of respect for our closest test neighbours IMO.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: October 24, 2019, 6:03 pm
-PJ- wrote: October 24, 2019, 5:38 pm The Kiwis haven't played in a Boxing Day test since 1987.
Wow, that's actually quite sad. Shows a lack of respect for our closest test neighbours IMO.
Yep..
MCG Boxing Day tests since 1987.

87- NZ
88- WI
89- ??no game
90- ENG
91- IND
92- WI
93- SA
94- ENG
95- SRI
96- WI
97- SA
98- ENG
99- IND
00- WI
01- SA
02- ENG
03- IND
04- PAK
05- SA
06- ENG
07- IND
08- SA
09- PAK
10- ENG
11- IND
12- SRI
13- ENG
14- IND
15- WI
16- PAK
17- ENG
18- IND
19- NZ
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

That's a lot of India and England in recent times
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Get that India..
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I suspect it's all commercial reasons. Kiwis don't draw as big a crowd, so the $$ for a boxing day test aren't as attractive.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Matt wrote: October 24, 2019, 10:42 am We are about a month away from back to back Tests vs the Paki's. The 1st is at the Gabba on the 21st of Nov and the 2nd is the Night Test at Adelaide on the 29th.

Its a very mixed schedule between now and then, with Intl T20s vs SL (PMs XI is on tonight in Canberra, and I knew nothing about it), and 2 more rounds of both the Shield and 1-Dayers.

So...
We are at the halfway point of local red ball cricket, as far as proving your worth for selection, who you got? This little summary isnt too bad.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id ... 9RWg5b2tg4

My 2 cents on the squad:
1. Warner
2. Harris
3. Labuschange
4. Smith
5. Wade
6. Stoinis
7. Paine
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazelwood
12. Pattinson
13. Pucovski

My thoughts on your squad.. I can deal with most of it but not Stoinis. IMO the closest test you can get for test cricket outisde of top class First Class cricket is a world cup. It tests you in pressure filled games and moments and often a world cup 50 over game plays into the hands of patient and clutch cricketers rather than jack in the box assy performances. Under pressure at the world cup Marcus Stoinis crumbled. It was so bad that I doubt he'll play much more cricket even in the 50 over format given he's 30. He's 30, has scored 4 first class centuries and takes 1 wicket a match in his shield career. He might be able to score a few runs on our flat decks batting at 6 but he's not close to being a test player. It'd be Finch #2 without having any decent international white ball cricket form behind him. He's really not an all rounder either in red ball cricket he's a mediocre batsman who bowls a little bit. Just FWIW I think Hilton Cartwright is still a better player despite a lean patch of late.

100% better off picking Pucovski who averages 10 more with the bat, has the same amount of centuries in a dozen games and is only 21. Labuschagne, Smith and Wade can provide you 15-20 overs in a long day and ir probably wouldn't be any worse than Stoinis' straight mediums.

I think Harris has done his dash. Burns should have been picked in England and I'd have him straight back in to the squad. Khawaja is better than all of them though and I'd have him straight back in opening with Warner.

Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Wade
Pucovski
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

Pattinson
Burns

Moving forward I'd have a fit Kurtis Patterson pressuring Matthew Wade and Alex Carey breathing down Paine's neck. Tim Paine ultimately probably deserves this summer but you get the feeling a lack of genuine captaincy options is what's saving him. I've not rated Carey as high as most for the last couple of years but that world cup 'rule' i talked about with Stoinis rings true with him too. On the highest stage he has ever played he took it to another level. His batting has improved out of sight. I think it's time for him to play test cricket now tbh. And sadly for Paine I think the team would be stronger with Carey in it batting at 7 as well.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The talk has been this will be Paine's last summer

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Warner back to being a flat track bully in Adelaide

Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Ah yes David Warner the minnow bashing domestic bully

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Maxy teed off as well..
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Absolute hiding this has turned out to be

Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

I was at that game in Bay 13 watching as Whitney and McDermott held out against Hadlee with the new ball late on the final day. They had to survive to prevent a drawn series. It was superb, beer ad stuff.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Warner is a lot better than being given credit for here. I’m England he faced some of the best bowling I’ve ever seen. Yes he’s a lot better at home.

But being a genuine gun at home doesn’t happen for people who can’t play.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

julian87 wrote: October 27, 2019, 5:14 pm Warner is a lot better than being given credit for here. I’m England he faced some of the best bowling I’ve ever seen. Yes he’s a lot better at home.

But being a genuine gun at home doesn’t happen for people who can’t play.
I agree. Absolutely no question, he should be one of the first picked for the next test series at home
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Warner would have been under pressure if he'd failed in the early season games at home. He's scored runs which gives selectors every reason to retain him.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

VERY interesting squad for the 3 day warmup game vs Paki's...

Carey (c)
Harris
Burns
Uzi
Pucovski
Head
Maddinson
Neser
Jhye Richardson
Abbott
Meredith

For once, this looks like a trial squad. Keeper in waitign, 3 bats vying for the opening spot, 3 bats vying for the #5/6 slot (depending on which one Wade bats), and I suspect the extra quick in the squad too. Surely Siddles days are over, and its Starc, Big Wood, Cummins and Pattinson, with 1 more of these guys. Jhye and Meredith are my picks. I dont see what they do in Neser.

Id say the lineup like this:
Burns
Harris
Uzi
Head
Pucovski
Maddinson
Carey (c)
Abbott
Neser
Meredith
Richardson
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Haha disagree again. Neser is the best bowler of that lot imo. He should be in and around squads as the best current swing bowler in the country.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

julian87 wrote: October 29, 2019, 10:40 am Haha disagree again. Neser is the best bowler of that lot imo. He should be in and around squads as the best current swing bowler in the country.
Better than Starc?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: October 29, 2019, 10:49 am
julian87 wrote: October 29, 2019, 10:40 am Haha disagree again. Neser is the best bowler of that lot imo. He should be in and around squads as the best current swing bowler in the country.
Better than Starc?
Different types. With Neser he's a true swing bowler i.e. swing is his weapon. With Starc he's got pace as part of his arsenal. Doesn't just rely on swing.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: October 29, 2019, 3:26 pm
Better than Starc?
Different types. With Neser he's a true swing bowler i.e. swing is his weapon. With Starc he's got pace as part of his arsenal. Doesn't just rely on swing.
So your saying Neser is Flemmo? :lol:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: October 29, 2019, 3:27 pm
Northern Raider wrote: October 29, 2019, 3:26 pm
Better than Starc?
So your saying Neser is Flemmo? :lol:
He's probably the closest comparison. Neser not as good though. :)
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I would love the bowlologist to take him under his wing.