Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Azza »

I've run out of things to say about our openers so I'm not going to bother
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

2 for **** all. Labuschagne and Smith at the crease. I’ve seen this movie before.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

So Sick of starting every innings 2 down !
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

It's like Warner is not picking up the ball at all. I wonder if he needs his eyes tested. So many play and miss before he was out. 3 for at Lunch and Smith and Wade trying to put some respect into the score. Nothing much wrong with the pitch and weather conditions don't get much better for batting. C'mon Aussies.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Azza wrote:Warner will be lucky to get 10. He is hopeless.
So close

He averages 26 in England, vs 60 in Australia

Ultimate flat track bully

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

RedRaider wrote: September 15, 2019, 10:12 pm It's like Warner is not picking up the ball at all. I wonder if he needs his eyes tested. So many play and miss before he was out. 3 for at Lunch and Smith and Wade trying to put some respect into the score. Nothing much wrong with the pitch and weather conditions don't get much better for batting. C'mon Aussies.
Forget it. We're toast
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Well... Smith is human, sub 50 for him.
Wade scores his 2nd 100 of the series.

Awful batting on the whole
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Tim Paine will hopefully have learned his lesson. When you win the toss, bat. If this was about protecting his openers then that defensive mindset is wrong from the start. Dropping of Uzi was not rewarded. He had twice the average of both the retained openers. Still, a 2 all drawn series means the Ashes are retained.

Positives were Smith, Labuschange, Wade and most of the bowlers. Cummins and Hazelwood produced wickets time after time and at low cost per wicket. GOAT was probably a little down on form. Starc only given one chance. Marsh, a last test all rounder inclusion, came up with wickets but not runs. Siddle, the selectors favourite, averaged more than 40 per wicket the worst of all the Aussie bowlers. I have come to the conclusion that it was not his fault. Rather it was the selectors who kept putting a pie chucker net bowler into an Ashes series when a player like Starc is available. It simply put pressure on the rest of the side. Hohns is Hagar the Horrible without Humour. A dud selector.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Fox Sports player ratings - https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/au ... KTS4S1-Fl8

Ok, lets look at this...

Our openers were dreadful!
Warner 1 - yep, he was awful, 1 score all series.
Harris 1 - that drop of Denly was probably more costly than his poor batting.
Bancroft 1.5 - If the half a point for that classic catch, ill allow it.

Middle order
Khawaja 3 - typical sort of series by him, he is a bang or bust kinda batsmen. When your in at 1 for single digits every innings it hardly helps, esp in bowler friendly conditions. A couple of starts without doing more, 3 seems right.
Labuschagne 8.5 - TBH, not sure what else he could have done to get more. Scoring a 100 would be about it.
***Smith 10 - Best since Bradman. Moving on.***
Head 5 - this series was very similar to Khawaja really, but did register a 50. Not sure that 1 score and an avg 7 runs higher, when its still sub 30, is worth 2 more points though. He was dropped too, so you cant give him a pass mark, meaning you give him a 4.
Wade 7.5 - did score 2x 100s, so kudos to him, but both were at a time where they didnt matter. The 2nd one was more important than the 1st, but had little support. I think 7.5 is a bit high, maybe 7.
Marsh - I dont think anyone has every questioned his ability to play a supporting role with the ball, and as it turns out he starred in this game with it. Its always been his batting, and yet again he was found wanting. An allrounder has 2 jobs, he only did 1. Again, I think 6 is too high, so a 5 IMO.

Keeper/ Capt
Paine 7 - this is a dead set gee up. His glovework was pretty good during the series, but he did have a couple of really bad sessions in the series. His captaincy of the 3rd Test was terrible with 1 wicket to get, though it was evened up a little in 4th Test. His DRS referrals were also pretty awful - though really poor umpiring really didnt help. Only made 1 score. I know he is honest and a nice bloke, and he has been captain in a really tough situation of Australian cricket, BUT, no sympathy exists in pro sport, his series is not worth a 7, no way, its a 5, 6 if Im feeling generous.

Bowlers
Cummins 9.5 - agreed, move on.
Hazelwood 8 - bit quiet in the last Test, should have been there all series IMO. 7.5-8 seems fair.
Siddle 5.5 - his biggest contribution to this side was with the bat in the 1st Test, getting Smith to his 140. 7 @ 42 for a front line bowler is poor, I dont care what his economy rate was. He was our worst bowler in the series, 2.5-3 IMO.
Pattinson 6 - patchy is how id describe his involvement in the series. Was good an bad at times. His 47 was a great knock too. 5-6 seems fair.
Starc 5.5 - only got one game, looked rusty because of it. That ball to get Bairstow is why he should have played in the first 2 Tests while conditions were bowler friendly. cant argue his score.
Lyon 7 - that finger hampered him in the last couple of Tests, and brought his score down IMO. Was probably better than a 7 otherwise.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Those rating are fairly close but agree on those couple you have pointed out .

Wade at 7.5 is too high. For no5/6 bat you need them to score more consitently and he failed too often when we needed him. His century in the 1st test was classic flat track bully stuff as the Poms only had Broad, Woakes, Stokes as bowlers after losing Anderson after 5 overs. Also no Archer to contend with. Credit for his ton last night because he was the only one to stand up under pressure. I'd give him 6.5 max.

Paine - 7. Yeah, must have been his mum doing the ratings. He was a passenger most of the series. Glovework was only fair and well below his normal high standard. Batting was garbage. Captaincy not great and was totally lost when he didn't have Smith to (unoffically) assist on the field.

Marsh - 6. Pretty hard to mark him. As a bowler he was an 8 or 9. As a no6 bat he was a 3. I guess you can average that out to a 6.

Siddle - 5.5 is a bit generous. Really didn't provide much with the ball. Did put in a couple of handy tail-end efforts at the right time with the bat.

At least with Wade getting a few runs we now have 3 batsmen who should have secured their spot for the next series. What happens with Marsh? His performance has created more questions than its answered. Showed he can be a real contributor with the ball but if he's batting at 6 he has to get runs. The problem is made worse with our no7 struggling, otherwise you could simply elevate him. Do you pick Marsh as your 3rd seamer? He's a better option than Siddle at least. Labuschagne can be your 5th bowler.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Matt wrote: September 16, 2019, 11:21 am Fox Sports player ratings - https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/au ... KTS4S1-Fl8

Ok, lets look at this...

Middle order
Khawaja 3 - typical sort of series by him, he is a bang or bust kinda batsmen. When your in at 1 for single digits every innings it hardly helps, esp in bowler friendly conditions. A couple of starts without doing more, 3 seems right.
Labuschagne 8.5 - TBH, not sure what else he could have done to get more. Scoring a 100 would be about it.
Head 5 - this series was very similar to Khawaja really, but did register a 50. Not sure that 1 score and an avg 7 runs higher, when its still sub 30, is worth 2 more points though. He was dropped too, so you cant give him a pass mark, meaning you give him a 4.
Wade 7.5 - did score 2x 100s, so kudos to him, but both were at a time where they didnt matter. The 2nd one was more important than the 1st, but had little support. I think 7.5 is a bit high, maybe 7.
Marsh - I dont think anyone has every questioned his ability to play a supporting role with the ball, and as it turns out he starred in this game with it. Its always been his batting, and yet again he was found wanting. An allrounder has 2 jobs, he only did 1. Again, I think 6 is too high, so a 5 IMO.

Keeper/ Capt
Paine 7 - this is a dead set gee up. His glovework was pretty good during the series, but he did have a couple of really bad sessions in the series. His captaincy of the 3rd Test was terrible with 1 wicket to get, though it was evened up a little in 4th Test. His DRS referrals were also pretty awful - though really poor umpiring really didnt help. Only made 1 score. I know he is honest and a nice bloke, and he has been captain in a really tough situation of Australian cricket, BUT, no sympathy exists in pro sport, his series is not worth a 7, no way, its a 5, 6 if Im feeling generous.

Bowlers
Hazelwood 8 - bit quiet in the last Test, should have been there all series IMO. 7.5-8 seems fair.
Siddle 5.5 - his biggest contribution to this side was with the bat in the 1st Test, getting Smith to his 140. 7 @ 42 for a front line bowler is poor, I dont care what his economy rate was. He was our worst bowler in the series, 2.5-3 IMO.
Pattinson 6 - patchy is how id describe his involvement in the series. Was good an bad at times. His 47 was a great knock too. 5-6 seems fair.
Starc 5.5 - only got one game, looked rusty because of it. That ball to get Bairstow is why he should have played in the first 2 Tests while conditions were bowler friendly. cant argue his score.
Lyon 7 - that finger hampered him in the last couple of Tests, and brought his score down IMO. Was probably better than a 7 otherwise.
You've always been well known for your generosity Matt. Your rating is about double what I thought Siddle should get. The selectors picked Siddle as a front line fast bowler. In the two matches Australia won: 1st test he took 2 wickets in the first innings but no wickets in the second innings as we drove for the win. In the second win for the Aussies in the 4th Test he did not play. So if Australian Test selectors WANT Australia to win then Siddle should not play. Why then did he get 4 Tests? In 2019 he is a net bowler or someone who can fill in against Bangladesh, Holland or Zimbabwe. The only people pushing for a lower rating would be Warner, Harris and Hohns.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Red, those ratings are from Fox Sports link he provided. Matt agrees with you and gave him a 2.5
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

RedRaider wrote: September 16, 2019, 1:07 pm
Matt wrote: September 16, 2019, 11:21 am Fox Sports player ratings - https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/au ... KTS4S1-Fl8

Ok, lets look at this...

Middle order

Keeper/ Capt

Bowlers
You've always been well known for your generosity Matt. Your rating is about double what I thought Siddle should get. The selectors picked Siddle as a front line fast bowler. In the two matches Australia won: 1st test he took 2 wickets in the first innings but no wickets in the second innings as we drove for the win. In the second win for the Aussies in the 4th Test he did not play. So if Australian Test selectors WANT Australia to win then Siddle should not play. Why then did he get 4 Tests? In 2019 he is a net bowler or someone who can fill in against Bangladesh, Holland or Zimbabwe. The only people pushing for a lower rating would be Warner, Harris and Hohns.
Fox gave him 5.5, I said 2.5-3, are you suggesting a 1.5 like Bancroft?
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Should some of us GH cricket boys form a possy for the prelim and meet up? We can mourn the loss of quality in our batting line up while cheering the vikings on. :woot:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Matt wrote: September 16, 2019, 1:56 pm
RedRaider wrote: September 16, 2019, 1:07 pm

Ok, lets look at this...

Middle order

Keeper/ Capt

Bowlers
Fox gave him 5.5, I said 2.5-3, are you suggesting a 1.5 like Bancroft?
Yep. A bowlers role is take wickets. He was missing in our wins. He was missing in our losses. He is not a Test quality bowler any more imo. His average was more akin to a batsman who sometimes roles the arm over while the real bowlers are waiting for the next new ball.
When I said you were being generous Matt I meant that 2.5-3 was generous. There is zero justification for the Fox rating imo. I think you are a real gentleman Matt. Your rating of Siddle (2.5-3) proves it. Imo, Siddle is no longer that good.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

@RedRaider, so you were suggesting a 1.5. Brutal... but fair enough
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

https://www.foxsports.com.au/news/ashes ... 974a79dab6

Hard to disagree with most of this:

In the firing line:
Harris, Bancroft, Khawaja, Marsh, Siddle Neser (harsh given he didn't play, though he probably shouldn't have been there, his spot needed to be Burns or Patterson).

50/50
Warner (probably should be in the firing line), Head, Wade (2x 100, harsh!), Starc, Pattinson

Locks
Labu, Smith, Paine (March can't come soon enough), Cummins, Hazelwood, Lyon
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Right now, I'd go with:
Warner (mostly coz options are thin, but has the class and numbers at home)
Burns (those who beat him to the Ashes failed)
Labu
Smith
Head/Patterson (if they believe Head has to earn it back, bring Patto back)
Wade
Paine (March... Just gotta get to March)
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazelwood
Pattinson 12th

If there was another captaincy option I'd play Wade as the keeper and both Head and Patterson
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Muppets.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Matt wrote:Right now, I'd go with:
Warner (mostly coz options are thin, but has the class and numbers at home)
Burns (those who beat him to the Ashes failed)
Labu
Smith
Head/Patterson (if they believe Head has to earn it back, bring Patto back)
Wade
Paine (March... Just gotta get to March)
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazelwood
Pattinson 12th

If there was another captaincy option I'd play Wade as the keeper and both Head and Patterson
Warner can go back to Shield and make a million before he's even in the discussion

He made 34 runs at an average of 3.8 outside of his 61. That's a disgrace.

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Matt wrote: September 16, 2019, 9:46 pm https://www.foxsports.com.au/news/ashes ... 974a79dab6

In the firing line:
Harris, Bancroft, Khawaja, Marsh, Siddle Neser (harsh given he didn't play, though he probably shouldn't have been there, his spot needed to be Burns or Patterson).

50/50
Warner (probably should be in the firing line), Head, Wade (2x 100, harsh!), Starc, Pattinson

Locks
:roflmao According to this writer Siddle was 'an inspired selection'. He bowls straight short of a length out side the off stump almost every delivery. No swing, no seam, no change up faster ball, no back of the hand slower ball, no 'fingers split' across the seam slower ball - match after match he allowed even this England batting line up to get comfortable. His nickname should be 'the valve' because he releases the pressure.

I would have only one spot up for grabs and it would be the No.6.

Uzi, Burns, Labu, Smith, Wade, ???, Paine, Cummins, Starc, Lyon, Hazelwood.

Uzi has a better average as an opener than he does down the list. Why not pick him where he performs best? The No.6 spot could go to an all rounder if the selectors are looking after the main strike bowlers. Early Shield form could determine the spot. Not really a fan of either Marsh or Stoinis so hopefully a young bloke puts his hand up.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

RedRaider wrote: September 17, 2019, 5:52 am
Matt wrote: September 16, 2019, 9:46 pm https://www.foxsports.com.au/news/ashes ... 974a79dab6

In the firing line:

50/50

Locks
:roflmao According to this writer Siddle was 'an inspired selection'. He bowls straight short of a length out side the off stump almost every delivery. No swing, no seam, no change up faster ball, no back of the hand slower ball, no 'fingers split' across the seam slower ball - match after match he allowed even this England batting line up to get comfortable. His nickname should be 'the valve' because he releases the pressure.

I would have only one spot up for grabs and it would be the No.6.

Uzi, Burns, Labu, Smith, Wade, ???, Paine, Cummins, Starc, Lyon, Hazelwood.

Uzi has a better average as an opener than he does down the list. Why not pick him where he performs best? The No.6 spot could go to an all rounder if the selectors are looking after the main strike bowlers. Early Shield form could determine the spot. Not really a fan of either Marsh or Stoinis so hopefully a young bloke puts his hand up.
I giggled at that too
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

I just saw on the CricInfo FB page that Paine made 13 DRS reviews in the Ashes, he was unsuccessful 12 times. Thats AWFUL AWFUL stuff
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

He's not making them in a vacuum. Awful from the bowlers and the close in fielders as well.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: September 17, 2019, 10:52 am He's not making them in a vacuum. Awful from the bowlers and the close in fielders as well.
Yes, but he also turned a few down when there was a lot of interest, and got those wrong by not reviewing.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

There doesn't appear to be anyone with a Mark Waugh eye who can assist with the decisions. Bowlers think everything is out. It has to be a slip fielder or Paine has to get tougher in knocking back the bowlers. He is in a great position for the quicks so has to learn 'yeh.....Nah'
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Bumrah has succumb to stress fractures in his back... no surprises with the ugliest bowling action in world cricket. He should get straight on to whoever fixed Pat Cummins action.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I remember commentators talking about that action and how he was headed for back injuries. You'd think if they can notice it after first seeing him the technical guys in the team would have made some tweaks by now.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Yeah that was only a matter of time

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I reckon he will need to change his entire action to save his back. Maybe go to Dennis Lillee or Michael Holding
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

If he changes his action will he be as effective?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: September 26, 2019, 1:27 pm If he changes his action will he be as effective?
probably not
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

I see the 'Smith comparisons' are going to become a thing now.
Phillipe, the young keeper batsmen from WA got a tag this week. The only thing I see is a big, back and across, movement prior to delivery. He is much more traditionally technical otherwise, and strikes the ball much better than Smith - not to be confused with timing and placement, which is Smiths go.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I'm interested in this Phillipe, he looked handy in the big bash last year
Edrick The Entertainer
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

bonehead wrote: September 27, 2019, 5:45 am I'm interested in this Phillipe, he looked handy in the big bash last year
yep. looks a decent prospect