The Cricket Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

julian87
Laurie Daley

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by julian87 »

Makaveli wrote: August 16, 2019, 7:14 am Does Warner ever make runs outside of Aus

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Yes he does. He’s had a problem with being tucked up his whole career though. Broad is doing well there.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Makaveli wrote: August 16, 2019, 7:14 am Does Warner ever make runs outside of Aus
Assume you mean in Test cricket. Leading run scorer in the World Cup.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Warner really struggled in India as well. Definitely not very adaptable with his game.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Warner's Test average is 59 in Australia and 36 overseas. Quite a big gap given the length of his career.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

I don’t see it happen but is there a case for him to be batting lower down the order? Particularly in England
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote: August 16, 2019, 10:15 am I don’t see it happen but is there a case for him to be batting lower down the order? Particularly in England
How would you juggle the batting line up to accommodate that? It would mean dropping one of the current middle order batsmen and bringing in another opener. That's really only Head or Wade and both have been scoring runs.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Northern Raider wrote: August 16, 2019, 10:20 am
yeh raiders wrote: August 16, 2019, 10:15 am I don’t see it happen but is there a case for him to be batting lower down the order? Particularly in England
How would you juggle the batting line up to accommodate that? It would mean dropping one of the current middle order batsmen and bringing in another opener. That's really only Head or Wade and both have been scoring runs.
Usman and Bancroft to open.

Smith to 3 and Warner 4.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote: August 16, 2019, 10:30 am
Northern Raider wrote: August 16, 2019, 10:20 am
Usman and Bancroft to open.

Smith to 3 and Warner 4.
Smith is the best no4 in Test cricket. Can't agree with moving him to no3 for the intention of improving Warner's form overseas.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Very Fair. In any case, Warner’s under less pressure than Bancroft or Usman I think.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Leave Usman alone
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Great 1st days cricket.
To bowl them out for 258, and be 30/1 at stumps is a good day.
Shock horror, Big Wood caused them headaches, and didnt give them 'hit me' balls.
I feel a little sorry for Sidz, with 2 dropped catches, but a the same time, he shouldnt be there.

As for Warner, he will turn a game at some stage in this series by going ballistic. Big movement, be it swing, seam or spin have always been his issue, as he plays with hard hands.

Bancroft... WOW. That was the best short leg grab I've ever seen. Not the most important or significant one Ive seen, but that is an absolute blinder!
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

yeh raiders wrote: August 16, 2019, 11:04 am Very Fair. In any case, Warner’s under less pressure than Bancroft or Usman I think.
Why would Khawaja be under pressure? Just because that’s the thing we’re used to now?
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I was having a laugh at the edging just now and the evident frustration on the Poms' faces, but those last two fours from Khawaja were just divine.

Love to see him go on and get a big one.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Bancroft is a matter of time.. he looks scratchy as all hell

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Oh look Bancroft failed again. Keep picking him

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

GDI, Uzi, you needed to go on with that.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That was trash from Khawaja

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Typical.
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Oh, it's raining?

raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Be interesting to see what they do for a keeper if Bairstow's thumb is really broken - let alone them losing a batsman.

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Jos Butler is their one day keeper already in the side
Edrick The Entertainer
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Here we go again with these useless numpties
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Azza wrote:Here we go again with these useless numpties
That was the most plumb LB I've ever seen given not out

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

You're referring to the umpires? Fair enough but I'm referring to the batsmen
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

This is woeful! Why am I not surprised
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

T_R wrote:
Azza wrote:Here we go again with these useless numpties
That was the most plumb LB I've ever seen given not out

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
People tried to defend him by saying it looked like he hit it, bat wasn't even close

raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Just as the Adelaide replay on Day 1 made me suddenly aware of how much I missed Damien Martyn, so I'm having a surprising amount of sadness for Shane Watson and Chris Rogers right now.

Especially Watto. I feel like the Marshes are our punishment for not appreciating Watto enough when we had him.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Having a keeper who could actually hit one off the square was nice

raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Clarke robbing Harris of his ton, tsk tsk

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

-TW- wrote: August 16, 2019, 8:32 pm Bancroft is a matter of time.. he looks scratchy as all hell

Yep, while its a good idea to get on the front foot in England - unless you've got an eye like Steve Smith - just plonking his left foot straight down the pitch and not to the line of the ball is going to see him undone early and often. Pretty much anything on middle and leg he has to play around his pad with his eyeline outside the ball line. He's playing catch up with the ball. Also after that front foot lunge he doesn't seem to be able to weight transfer to the back foot which is going to limit him against the short ball. He has done very well with his close in catching but he is in the side to score runs or at least take the shine off the new ball. I hope they pick Harris for the 3rd test.

Day 3 and rain washed out most of the days play. Australia in a precarious spot at 4 - 80 but have the two first test century makers at the crease. Two days to go and more rain predicted. A draw seems the likely outcome. With Australia already one Test up, that's not a bad outcome for us.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

raiderskater wrote:Just as the Adelaide replay on Day 1 made me suddenly aware of how much I missed Damien Martyn, so I'm having a surprising amount of sadness for Shane Watson and Chris Rogers right now.

Especially Watto. I feel like the Marshes are our punishment for not appreciating Watto enough when we had him.
Agreed skater. We should all "review' our opinions of Watto.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Not sure anyone cares after that Raiders win, but the cricket's on :D
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Wade just got out, so I'm watching the rabbits game now

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Can we get a message to the AUS dressing sheds at Lords ?

Let Usi and Gary know the Raiders got up...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

-PJ- wrote: August 17, 2019, 8:56 pm Can we get a message to the AUS dressing sheds at Lords ?

Let Usi and Gary know the Raiders got up...
:thumbsup