The Cricket Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Postman Pat »

Stokes should a be no brained for New Zealander of the year now.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Matt wrote: August 26, 2019, 10:11 am Amazing innings from Stokes. Full credit to him.

We lost that game before lunch yesterday, coz our quicks bowled rubbish to Stokes and Bairstow. (yes there were 4 other blunders, incl a umpiring howler - but, TBF, that has been consistent in the series).

I think this is the kind of loss that will cost us the series. Had they lost, despite us being without Smith, it would have crushed them. Same now, they just won the unwinnable match. The Poms will be jumping out of their skin to get at us, and we have to pick up the pieces.
It has the feel of Edgbaston 2005 tbh.

The difference between 1-1 and 2-0 is massive.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

julian87 wrote: August 26, 2019, 7:39 am I’d be dropping Paine for Smith and Pattinson for Starc tbh.

The easy selection is to drop Khawaja. But I think Khawaja’s potential with the bat outweighs Paine’s keeping over Wade’s.
I'd agree that's what should happen. It's not what will happen however.

Paine has become baggage. Not really contributing in any aspect. I'm no fan of Wade as a keeper but Paine has dropped off in that regard too. Giving Wade the gloves right now is relatively low risk IMO. He's already in the team and if it doesn't work out then Carey takes over for the next series.

Biggest question is who captains? Smith is banned from taking an official position till April I think. Khawaja would be next in line but his own spot is under scrutiny. None of the other bats are really established enough. We're really only left with the bowlers then. If they want to keep 'resting' the quicks then that precludes them. Leaves us with Lyon. Probably has enough on his plate already but at least he has Smith and Warner for support (unofficially).

I'd like to see CA lift this ban on Smith. He's served his time. No need to extend it further.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Head and Cummins are vice captains I think, so they would be the next logical choice. Khawaja shows none of the qualities of a good leader, and his place in the team is on very thin ice.

We need to do it, we are playing with 10 men out there and it is really hurting us.

With that said, I agree it won't happen. And the ban on Smith won't be lifted.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Why can't Starc get a game?
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Azza wrote: August 26, 2019, 10:33 am
Matt wrote: August 26, 2019, 10:11 am Amazing innings from Stokes. Full credit to him.

We lost that game before lunch yesterday, coz our quicks bowled rubbish to Stokes and Bairstow. (yes there were 4 other blunders, incl a umpiring howler - but, TBF, that has been consistent in the series).

I think this is the kind of loss that will cost us the series. Had they lost, despite us being without Smith, it would have crushed them. Same now, they just won the unwinnable match. The Poms will be jumping out of their skin to get at us, and we have to pick up the pieces.
It has the feel of Edgbaston 2005 tbh.

The difference between 1-1 and 2-0 is massive.
100%
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Yeah, I did consider Head but once again I don't think he's truly established in the side. He's got a great average and been quite solid in his career so far. Lack of big scores is the concern. Only been fair this series and a couple more low could see the spotlight shift on him. Remembering we have Patterson in the wings.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: August 26, 2019, 10:59 am
julian87 wrote: August 26, 2019, 7:39 am I’d be dropping Paine for Smith and Pattinson for Starc tbh.

The easy selection is to drop Khawaja. But I think Khawaja’s potential with the bat outweighs Paine’s keeping over Wade’s.
I'd agree that's what should happen. It's not what will happen however.

Paine has become baggage. Not really contributing in any aspect. I'm no fan of Wade as a keeper but Paine has dropped off in that regard too. Giving Wade the gloves right now is relatively low risk IMO. He's already in the team and if it doesn't work out then Carey takes over for the next series.

Biggest question is who captains? Smith is banned from taking an official position till April I think. Khawaja would be next in line but his own spot is under scrutiny. None of the other bats are really established enough. We're really only left with the bowlers then. If they want to keep 'resting' the quicks then that precludes them. Leaves us with Lyon. Probably has enough on his plate already but at least he has Smith and Warner for support (unofficially).

I'd like to see CA lift this ban on Smith. He's served his time. No need to extend it further.
Azza wrote: August 26, 2019, 11:04 am Head and Cummins are vice captains I think, so they would be the next logical choice. Khawaja shows none of the qualities of a good leader, and his place in the team is on very thin ice.

We need to do it, we are playing with 10 men out there and it is really hurting us.

With that said, I agree it won't happen. And the ban on Smith won't be lifted.
It would be in safer hands with Cummins - due to his position not being in question - , but like Lyon, its too much on his plate, and there seems to be a avoidance to captaincy with bowlers.

Head would be fine as a captain, as he captains his state after all. BUT, he has 11 Tests to his name.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Makaveli wrote: August 26, 2019, 11:18 am Why can't Starc get a game?
Starc in for Pattinson I reckon. Would be the first time we have our best 4 bowlers in the side.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I believe SSmith will never captain the AUS side again.

My opinion.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I think Smith will captain again, only if for no other reason than there aren't really many other great options are there.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Do we all agree its Pattinson for Starc and Uzi for Smith?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: August 26, 2019, 4:20 pm Do we all agree its Pattinson for Starc and Uzi for Smith?
That's the most logical option so no, it won't happen.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: August 26, 2019, 4:34 pm
Matt wrote: August 26, 2019, 4:20 pm Do we all agree its Pattinson for Starc and Uzi for Smith?
That's the most logical option so no, it won't happen.
:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Yep, definitely.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Whoever they come in for, we have two World Class players (Starc and Smith) to throw into the next Test match. However if Siddle is selected again it will mean someone within the Aussie selection panel is backing England at long odds. Starc is such a great bowler at any time and in particular against the tail. Please explain Hohns you Numpty.

I would retain Paine as the skipper with some better quality in the side. Sure he needs to work on his batting but he is not on his own there. I would definitely send Hohns home. He is as welcome as a face full of pustules on a first date in the Australian dressing room. Having left the selection panel in 2006, the human white ant returned in 2015. He is a negative influence imo. An egomaniac career junketeer if ever there was one. I remember him as working as the Captain of selectors only to pass the baton onto his business partner Andrew Hilditch. In Geof Toovey's words 'there has to be an investigation' as to how he got his snout back into the trough. Pick Starc you boofhead.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Agree re hohns. Never been much of a fan.

I think there is a good chance khawaja will move up to open, Harris will be dropped and Smith comes in, along with Starc for Pattinson. Our 'death' bowling yesterday was woeful. Anyone ever heard of bowling yorkers to tailenders?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Azza wrote: August 26, 2019, 10:07 pm Agree re hohns. Never been much of a fan.

I think there is a good chance khawaja will move up to open, Harris will be dropped and Smith comes in, along with Starc for Pattinson. Our 'death' bowling yesterday was woeful. Anyone ever heard of bowling yorkers to tailenders?
More I think about it, the more I think Harris will go too. Khawaja has a 40, 30 and 20 this series. He is getting starts, so a score is around the corner. Also, he has proven Test pedigree, even if it's as infuriatingly inconsistent.

And yes, attack the stumps, esp for #11
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Quite possible but I disagree with the notion of recalling Harris then dropping him after one match. Just like Bancroft, if they think he's the guy then give him a chance to show it. Should at least be given one more match. Unfortunately it feels like the selectors have fallen back into their old habit of guessing and 2nd guessing selections.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

The selectors are numpties, pure and simple. If we win the ashes it will be inspite of them rather than because of them.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Azza wrote: August 27, 2019, 1:59 pm The selectors are numpties, pure and simple. If we win the ashes it will be inspite of them rather than because of them.
At least they give us plenty to talk about between tests. Remember those dull old days when we put our best XI on the field every game?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: August 27, 2019, 2:33 pm
Azza wrote: August 27, 2019, 1:59 pm The selectors are numpties, pure and simple. If we win the ashes it will be inspite of them rather than because of them.
At least they give us plenty to talk about between tests. Remember those dull old days when we put our best XI on the field every game?
:lol:
TBF, it was also much much easier to do that
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: August 27, 2019, 10:55 am

Quite possible but I disagree with the notion of recalling Harris then dropping him after one match. Just like Bancroft, if they think he's the guy then give him a chance to show it. Should at least be given one more match. Unfortunately it feels like the selectors have fallen back into their old habit of guessing and 2nd guessing selections.
This argument is flawed, but the argument is, 'We were only going to drop Bancroft, but Smith was ruled out due to concussion. This meant we had to pick two batsmen from the ones we had available.'

I'm sure they would get pressed, so the answer would be 'Labu filled in for Smith so well, we had to make space for him, but with Smith also out, we needed another top order player. Harris blah blah blah, did a good job during the summer, blah blah blah. With Smith coming back, someone misses out, and Labu took his three chances with three 50+ scores.'
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: August 27, 2019, 2:48 pm
Northern Raider wrote: August 27, 2019, 10:55 am

This argument is flawed, but the argument is, 'We were only going to drop Bancroft, but Smith was ruled out due to concussion. This meant we had to pick two batsmen from the ones we had available.'

I'm sure they would get pressed, so the answer would be 'Labu filled in for Smith so well, we had to make space for him, but with Smith also out, we needed another top order player. Harris blah blah blah, did a good job during the summer, blah blah blah. With Smith coming back, someone misses out, and Labu took his three chances with three 50+ scores.'
Yeah that's reasonable enough. For all the frustrations of Khawaja he's still out performed Harris.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Umpires from Leeds Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles have been dropped for the rest of the series

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Umpire Wilson was terrible. It's sad that one of his wrong decisions occurred at such a crucial time in the last test match.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Azza wrote: August 28, 2019, 11:28 am Umpire Wilson was terrible. It's sad that one of his wrong decisions occurred at such a crucial time in the last test match.
10, 10 changed decisions in 1 game for Wilson alone
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Gaffney had 7

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

-TW- wrote: August 28, 2019, 11:37 am Gaffney had 7

wooooooooooow
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Just watched a little snippet from Punter on the CA FB page about Lyon getting his 1st Test.
He was the one that said you need to pick this guy. Didnt know that.
Then of course, Lyon got Kumar Sangakara with this 1st ball in Tests. Not a bad start!
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/be ... 52lbo.html

Interesting article and vision showing that Lyon didn't have Stokes LBW and a clear flaw in the ball tracking... food for thought.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Yeah I noticed that, that it tracks the deflection not the path after impact.

Its clipping leg at best

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BadnMean wrote: August 28, 2019, 1:32 pm https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/be ... 52lbo.html

Interesting article and vision showing that Lyon didn't have Stokes LBW and a clear flaw in the ball tracking... food for thought.
This is what I said at the time. I thought hawkeye had got it wrong. The technology as a review system is flawed because of the anomolies that creep in.

Of course this is moot as a review by Australia would have overturned the decision.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: August 28, 2019, 2:11 pm WHo remembers this one? :lol:

https://twitter.com/i/status/742915440540680192
gold!