The Cricket Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Northern Raider »

Indians keep trying to get out and Aussies won't take the chances. I'm calling shenanigans. Check the betting records!!!
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Brewdle wrote:India 1/25, every time I hear Shikhar Dhawan I think of the start of https://youtu.be/hX9E44mClKs

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
I’m always drawn to a thinking of a certain movie genre’s typical soundtrack - boom Shikar Dhawan
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Richardson gets Kohli behind, 3/113

Brewdle
Brett Mullins

The Cricket Thread

Post by Brewdle »

No one appealed for a caught behind on Dohni when he edged it, or they were half hearted appeals the ump didn’t take seriously and no one bothered reviewing #dollarsonindia it was clearly out on hot spot

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Cricket Thread

Post by gangrenous »

Looks like both teams trying to lose
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Siddle is junk, sooner he retires the better
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Who’s idea was it for Siddle and stoines to bowl slow full tosses Image

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Peter Siddle hasn’t been the same since he went vegan: fact.

Fair dinkum embarrassing picking him.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I can remember a lower time for Australian cricket, when Kerry Packer demanded control over cricket and Bob Simpson was brought out of retirement to captain Australia. But I don't think there has been a worse time in my memory.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

greeneyed wrote:I can remember a lower time for Australian cricket, when Kerry Packer demanded control over cricket and Bob Simpson was brought out of retirement to captain Australia. But I don't think there has been a worse time in my memory.
Calm down. Our two best batters are on a short self induced ban and we rested our top three bowlers. A couple of small tweaks and some momentum and it all turns around.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Dominated..

That's all.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Hazlewood out of the Sri Lanka Test series with a back injury. J. Richardson into the squad...

Siddle will probably play

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

siddle lbw early against one of the openers showed the failings of drs, struck in line ball hitting top of middle but given not out only half the ball hitting stumps. dhoni edge half hearted appeal frustrating.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

wbbl super over coming up on 7, amazing finish

Edrick The Entertainer
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

marry me Elyse Perry

Edrick The Entertainer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Dusty wrote:Hazlewood out of the Sri Lanka Test series with a back injury. J. Richardson into the squad...

Siddle will probably play Image

He's not quick enough, and after his pie slinging efforts last night he should be banished forever

He'll get pumped at Manuka
Brewdle
Brett Mullins

Post by Brewdle »

Yeah that was terrible Boney, should have been out, DRS needs tinkering with, too much benefit to the batsman

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

So... the Test side for Sri Lanka...
Its down a Hazelwood, so in comes Jhye Richardson. Ummm... Im not a fan of this, even more so if that upgrades Sidz from 12th man to starting XI. Tremain and Boland must feel as gutted as Maxy TBH.

Patterson scores twin tons in the Sri Lanka bat off. Is rushed into the team, and TBH, has probably just booked himself a Baggy Green cap. So, Kudos! He is one of the guys who has been there or thereabouts for a couple of seasons now. IMO, he should have debuted over Maddinson last yr.

In that game, the other 'bat off' players, Renshaw failed twice, Burns basically failed twice (22 isnt good), Labu made a 50 in the 2nd dig and picked up 2 wickets in Sri Lankas 1st innings, and Pucovski was 33 not out in the 2nd dig after making 23 in the 1st.

So, IMO, that has done little for me as far as selecting at XI for the Gabba, but Im going to go with:
Harris
Burns
Khawaja
Head
Labuchagne
Patterson*
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Siddle/ Richardson*

*Test debut.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I like the Patterson inclusion. What more could he have done? It is a concern that he makes too many scores between 30-85 though. Much like Travis Head but not as bad or loose as him.

Disagree on Richardson though. Tremain should’ve been picked against Pakistan. But Richardson has dominated everyone es played this season and deserved to be picked for mine.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

11 at Brisbane from the current squad for me would be

Burns
Harris
Khawaja
Patterson
Pucovski
Head
Paine
Cummins
Lyon
Richardson
Hazlewood

Renshaw misses out due to less runs than Burns of late. Harris is locked in for this series.

Labuschagne misses out because he’s the worst bat of the lot and his bowling should not be needed in Brisbane under lights.

Siddle misses out because he’s cooked.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

julian87 wrote: January 21, 2019, 10:58 am 11 at Brisbane from the current squad for me would be

Burns
Harris
Khawaja
Patterson
Pucovski
Head
Paine
Cummins
Lyon
Richardson
Hazlewood

Renshaw misses out due to less runs than Burns of late. Harris is locked in for this series.

Labuschagne misses out because he’s the worst bat of the lot and his bowling should not be needed in Brisbane under lights.

Siddle misses out because he’s cooked.
Hazelwood has already been ruled out as injured.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

This is the Fox article, and they have a similar XI to you @julian87.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/au ... ET8XkFf6y4

PREDICTED AUSTRALIA XI

Marcus Harris
Joe Burns
Usman Khawaja
Kurtis Patterson
Will Pucovski
Travis Head
Tim Paine (c)
Pat Cummins
Mitchell Starc
Jhye Richardson
Nathan Lyon

The unlucky ones: Marnus Labuschagne, Matthew Renshaw, Peter Siddle
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Hope so.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

My bad I had Starc and Hazelwood mixed up re; the injury
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Matt wrote:This is the Fox article, and they have a similar XI to you @julian87.

PREDICTED AUSTRALIA XI

Marcus Harris
Joe Burns
Usman Khawaja
Kurtis Patterson
Will Pucovski
Travis Head
Tim Paine (c)
Pat Cummins
Mitchell Starc
Jhye Richardson
Nathan Lyon

Siddle.. unlucky.. ha
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

-TW- wrote: January 21, 2019, 12:03 pm
Matt wrote:This is the Fox article, and they have a similar XI to you @julian87.

PREDICTED AUSTRALIA XI

Marcus Harris
Joe Burns
Usman Khawaja
Kurtis Patterson
Will Pucovski
Travis Head
Tim Paine (c)
Pat Cummins
Mitchell Starc
Jhye Richardson
Nathan Lyon

Siddle.. unlucky.. ha
I reckon! He is lucky to be considered the 12th best player available.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Yep, thats the likely XI for Brisbane. About the only option would be Marnus being retained ahead of Pucovski. The latter could benefit simply from being part of the squad. Should give Labuschagne a fair shot at securing a spot. He did get some runs in the tour match at least and batted OK in the Sydney test.

The biggest issue for CA is what do they do if these new players fail. Do you persist or move on?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 21, 2019, 2:38 pm Yep, thats the likely XI for Brisbane. About the only option would be Marnus being retained ahead of Pucovski. The latter could benefit simply from being part of the squad. Should give Labuschagne a fair shot at securing a spot. He did get some runs in the tour match at least and batted OK in the Sydney test.

The biggest issue for CA is what do they do if these new players fail. Do you persist or move on?
He is also a QLDer and thus playing on his home deck.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Guys like Labuschagne are really just holding a spot until Smith et al. return so you'd probably get more long term benefit from giving someone like Pucovski a taste.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: January 21, 2019, 2:41 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 21, 2019, 2:38 pm Yep, thats the likely XI for Brisbane. About the only option would be Marnus being retained ahead of Pucovski. The latter could benefit simply from being part of the squad. Should give Labuschagne a fair shot at securing a spot. He did get some runs in the tour match at least and batted OK in the Sydney test.

He is also a QLDer and thus playing on his home deck.
Marnus is only 24 and while I was initially surprised at his call up for the Pakistan series I think he should at least get a reasonable chance to show what he offer before being cast aside for the next prodigy. This is my point about including all these young guys. Its unreasonable to expect them to come into a struggling batting line up and perform at a top level immediately. If you bring them in you need to give them a few tests to show whether they are up to it or not.

After this series we don't play another test till the Ashes starting in August. By that stage there should be plenty of exposed form with the back end of the Shield season plus those that go on to play County Cricket. You would assume that all test contenders who aren't involved in the World Cup will be over there playing.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

I know Maxwell has signed up to play county cricket this yr. Though I think he said he only has 2 games before the Ashes squad is announced? He will play some white and pink ball stuff too though.

I agree with you @Northern Raider, if you pick a young guy, give him a run. So, as much as I dont think Labu is up to it, CA persisted with MMarsh for 30 Tests to figure out he was rubbish. I think you can give him half a dozen/ at least until Smith is back, as @zim said.

Mind you, Im not adverse to giving Pucovski a go. He played better than Renshaw, Burns and Labu in the CA game. Im very much in favor of a batsmen who is willing to apply himself no matter the situation. Something our current crop dont seem to do.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: January 21, 2019, 3:07 pm I know Maxwell has signed up to play county cricket this yr. Though I think he said he only has 2 games before the Ashes squad is announced? He will play some white and pink ball stuff too though.

I agree with you @Northern Raider, if you pick a young guy, give him a run. So, as much as I dont think Labu is up to it, CA persisted with MMarsh for 30 Tests to figure out he was rubbish. I think you can give him half a dozen/ at least until Smith is back, as @zim said.

Mind you, Im not adverse to giving Pucovski a go. He played better than Renshaw, Burns and Labu in the CA game. Im very much in favor of a batsmen who is willing to apply himself no matter the situation. Something our current crop dont seem to do.
Thats the thing. Dumping Marnus after a couple of tests to give Pucovski a go. What if he doesn't get any scores in this 2 test series? Does he get dumped like Marnus did?

The debate about the opening spot could be moot anyway if Warner returns. Harris should have done enough to secure his Ashes spot without setting the world on fire. As for the extended squad I think Burns provides the best cover as he can bat anywhere in the order.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 21, 2019, 3:15 pm
Matt wrote: January 21, 2019, 3:07 pm I know Maxwell has signed up to play county cricket this yr. Though I think he said he only has 2 games before the Ashes squad is announced? He will play some white and pink ball stuff too though.

Thats the thing. Dumping Marnus after a couple of tests to give Pucovski a go. What if he doesn't get any scores in this 2 test series? Does he get dumped like Marnus did?

The debate about the opening spot could be moot anyway if Warner returns. Harris should have done enough to secure his Ashes spot without setting the world on fire. As for the extended squad I think Burns provides the best cover as he can bat anywhere in the order.
Yeah, dropping Labu for Puco seems harsh.
TBH, Labu has batted everywhere in the 1,2,3,4 and 6 for QLD. Id say thats pretty versatile. And, he is apparently our spin option allrounder.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

With national sides, normally you pick the guys who have proven track records of excellence.
OR
They have been so dominant in a certain season that you cant not pick them.
Injuries and suspensions stuffs this up a little, but usually the 2 above rules apply to the next in line.
Basically its perfomance based, and how it should be.

However, we havent been in this position in a few Aussie sports for a while - Cricket and Union being the 2 that spring to mind.

So, the alternative theories come up. Usually the 1st one is a youth policy. It applies to all sport. 'Who is the new face on the block making a name for themselves?'.

In cricket terms, esp under Chappell, this was his thing. As far as batting goes, bar Michael Clarke and Dave Warner, it was basically a busted theory. We saw flashes of players like Hughes, but not consistency. TBF, its fraught with failure. It usually takes the 2nd coming to see the best of these guys - Smith esp. but Khawaja is another one I can think of. Its worth noting that at least 2 of our current quicks were successfully found under this policy, but it is easier with bowlers.

Anyway, this sort of stuff leads to selections like Cartwright, Labuschagne, and Maddinson, at the expense of players like Burns or Maxwell, aka 'next cab off the rank'. Im in the boat that these 2 should be there by now. However, the fact that these 2 have been passed up already leads me to the next philosophy.

Now, if we look at cricket and union in the late 80s, they were in a similar dilemma to the one we are in now, and thats a lack of proven talent/ exceptional talent. We have all heard names like Phil Kearns and Mark Taylor, players pulled from 2nd Div into the national squad on playing style alone. Renshaw was this sort of selection, even Bancroft to a lesser extent, however they were also in reasonable form at the time. Lyon is one of these, as was the dire straits of our spin stocks, and so was Tim Paine - in his defense, he was good enough once upon a time.

Neither have a good strike rate, but they are popular selection alternatives. Which is better and why? Then, if you have gone with a certain policy, at which point do you change? And should you change players selected under previous policies without a strong reason?

Which brings us to the current squad.
Performance:
Harris
Patterson
Head (though it feels 'next cab off the rank')
Burns

Youth:
Pucovski (style of play argument too)
Labuschagne
Khawaja (proof the 2nd coming sometimes works)
Richardson (there is a performance 'next cab off the rank' arguement here too)
Cummins
Starc

Style of play:
Renshaw (youth arguement too)
Siddle
Paine
Lyon

Im sure when I started writing this I had a point. I know this post stems from my conversation with NR, but not sure what I was going to say. I guess it was something to do with does/ should the incumbent get benefit of the doubt?

IMO, if this the route you are going to take, CA have already overlooked Burns and Renshaw for Labuschagne at #3, meaning Khawaja moved up to open.

So, with both the openers failing in "the bat off", while Labuschagne posted a 50 in the 2nd dig, after having looked ok in the last Test vs India, surely he holds his spot.

Meaning the XI should be:
Harris
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Patterson
Head
Pucovski (though Id rather a senior batsmen between him and Paine)
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Siddle
Lyon

The obvious problem with this is Siddle. Despite being an incumbent, he should not be there at all. In which case you would need something else to override it. @Julian87 believes Richardsons form is good enough to be a performance based selection, so Im happy to run with it (I would have gone Tremain or Boland TBH).

Anyway, kinda feels like a pick your poison. No right answer, just personal preference.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt, I don't have the attention span to read your entire post so looked at the first couple of lines then the last one.

Yes, there's no clear right answer. What I find amusing is the selectors couldn't even manage the "pick your poison" bit. They went for a squad then changed their mind anyway and added Patterson at the last minute.