The Cricket Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by -PJ- »

Cameron White should be elevated above Turnip...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

-PJ- wrote: January 20, 2020, 5:02 pm Cameron White should be elevated above Turnip...
turnip = turner?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Matt wrote: January 21, 2020, 8:37 am
-PJ- wrote: January 20, 2020, 5:02 pm Cameron White should be elevated above Turnip...
turnip = turner?
Yep
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Kiwis needed 2 from 4 in the third T20 v India, managed 1 from 4 and lost the Super over defending 17
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I just watched a very entertaining game of cricket on fox.

Womens T20 AUS V ENG from Manuka.

ENG 4/156
AUS 8/156

The Aussies looked gone. They needed 40 from 18 balls and Annabelle Sutherland( on debut) smashed 22 from 10 balls to force a tie.

ENG won in a super over hitting the 9 runs required..good game !!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

In other cricket news...

boney made a 50 today in terrible heat..

The bloke is a machine.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:In other cricket news...

boney made a 50 today in terrible heat..

The bloke is a machine.
haha half dead, won't get any call ups batted 20 overs lots of walking not much running

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

A turnaround in the BBL final, 3 wickets and 3 runs in the last 13 balls, Strikers looked like they’d get home Easy
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Lost 6/20odd

Absolute bed ****

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Sid wrote: February 1, 2020, 9:44 pm A turnaround in the BBL final, 3 wickets and 3 runs in the last 13 balls, Strikers looked like they’d get home Easy
Carey run out was a massive turning point. They didn't look close to getting him out and Strikers were cruising home.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

NZ batsmen Ross Taylor and Tim Seifert just smashed 34 runs in an over..

5th T20 international on now.

NZ v IND.

A front foot no ball went for 6, and the free hit went further..
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/austral ... 7q_YBf_pg8

An interesting squad here. Ill group them the way I see them.

Has beens:
Moses Henriques - I dont see it. He is a good, possibly great, state player. However, I cant see him playing for Australia again, esp as he seems to have given bowling away.

Jackson Bird - Our fast bowling depth is too good. We cant fit Starc, Hazelwood, Cummins and Pattinson in as it is. Richardson is beck from injury, even if he is doing the 'Courtney Walsh' boundary throws. They seem to like Neser over Bird too.

Ego strokers (keep player happy that they are 'in consideration):
Khawaja - I like him, he has the talent, but he just didnt do it consistently enough, esp overseas, to hold his spot. They dont like his lackadaisical approach either.

Harris - I feel a little harsh putting him in this list, but I cant see him getting another crack.

Rookie Testing:
Josh Inglis (wk) - has had a really good yr in BBL, and a decent yr in Shield. They are obviously seeing if its a purple patch or actual ability.

Steketee - He bowls quick enough that he may in fact jump Neser. In the sub continent and here, you have to bowl 140+ or you are pretty useless.

Actual contenders:
Pucovski - Kid has to get his head right on 2 counts - mental health and concussion. I just have a feeling he will never make it because of these issues though, which is very sad.

Neser - CA like him as a bowling allrounder, and I think he is 'in contention', but as per the above, cant see how he forces his way in. Looks a permanent squad guy.

Kurtis Patterson - Didnt put a foot wrong in national colours. Still not sure how he wasnt on tour in the Ashes.

Stoinis - They really want him to be the allrounder MMarsh couldnt be/ isnt. Not sure he will ever be that in the longer format, but I hope he finds a way. (BTW, really surprised Cam Green isnt on this tour for this reason too).

Swepson - We need a backup spinner for the longer format. Hopes were high for him a few years ago. Hasnt really kicked on, but hasnt gone away either. This is another area of Aussie cricket that needs fixing.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Matt wrote:https://www.cricket.com.au/news/austral ... 7q_YBf_pg8

An interesting squad here. Ill group them the way I see them.

Has beens:
Moses Henriques - I dont see it. He is a good, possibly great, state player. However, I cant see him playing for Australia again, esp as he seems to have given bowling away.

Jackson Bird - Our fast bowling depth is too good. We cant fit Starc, Hazelwood, Cummins and Pattinson in as it is. Richardson is beck from injury, even if he is doing the 'Courtney Walsh' boundary throws. They seem to like Neser over Bird too.

Ego strokers (keep player happy that they are 'in consideration):
Khawaja - I like him, he has the talent, but he just didnt do it consistently enough, esp overseas, to hold his spot. They dont like his lackadaisical approach either.

Harris - I feel a little harsh putting him in this list, but I cant see him getting another crack.

Rookie Testing:
Josh Inglis (wk) - has had a really good yr in BBL, and a decent yr in Shield. They are obviously seeing if its a purple patch or actual ability.

Steketee - He bowls quick enough that he may in fact jump Neser. In the sub continent and here, you have to bowl 140+ or you are pretty useless.

Actual contenders:
Pucovski - Kid has to get his head right on 2 counts - mental health and concussion. I just have a feeling he will never make it because of these issues though, which is very sad.

Neser - CA like him as a bowling allrounder, and I think he is 'in contention', but as per the above, cant see how he forces his way in. Looks a permanent squad guy.

Kurtis Patterson - Didnt put a foot wrong in national colours. Still not sure how he wasnt on tour in the Ashes.

Stoinis - They really want him to be the allrounder MMarsh couldnt be/ isnt. Not sure he will ever be that in the longer format, but I hope he finds a way. (BTW, really surprised Cam Green isnt on this tour for this reason too).

Swepson - We need a backup spinner for the longer format. Hopes were high for him a few years ago. Hasnt really kicked on, but hasnt gone away either. This is another area of Aussie cricket that needs fixing.
Patterson was injured

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Patterson was not injured for the Ashes tour.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

It’s a good team besides Stoinis imo.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

There's a few test contenders in the Australian limited overs squad. Otherwise the likes of Carey and Jye Richardson would be there ahead of Bird and Inglis.

Khawaja is currently next in line for a test spot so has to be included. Patterson after him. The door is still ajar for Harris. Bancroft appears to have dropped of the list completely.

Swepo was in the squad for Sydney test and has had a decent start to the Sheffield Shield. He's the obvious choice as back up spinner.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: February 5, 2020, 1:16 pm There's a few test contenders in the Australian limited overs squad. Otherwise the likes of Carey and Jye Richardson would be there ahead of Bird and Inglis.

Khawaja is currently next in line for a test spot so has to be included. Patterson after him. The door is still ajar for Harris. Bancroft appears to have dropped of the list completely.

Swepo was in the squad for Sydney test and has had a decent start to the Sheffield Shield. He's the obvious choice as back up spinner.
Carey is definitely in the box seat for the gloves. However, Ive been impressed with Inglis. So who knows?!?

Opener is very tricky. Options appear thin. I think that is the only way back for Uzi. Bancroft needs to be black listed. Harris needs another 1000 run season. Renshaw was surprisingly good in the BBL, but cant make a run for QLD.

Patterson and Richardson should be the next cabs IMO.

Just because Swepson was pulled in for Syd, doesnt mean a hell of a lot, as they always have 2 spin options for Syd. My memory is bad, but I think its been a while since we played 2 genuine spinners in Syd (did Agar or SOK play last yr?). We lack quality spinners ATM, and he is arguably the best of a bad-ish bunch.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt, how can you say Swepo coming into the squad for the Sydney test doesn't mean a lot? Surely means he's the no2 spinner in the eyes of selectors.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Matt wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: February 5, 2020, 1:16 pm There's a few test contenders in the Australian limited overs squad. Otherwise the likes of Carey and Jye Richardson would be there ahead of Bird and Inglis.

Carey is definitely in the box seat for the gloves. However, Ive been impressed with Inglis. So who knows?!?

Opener is very tricky. Options appear thin. I think that is the only way back for Uzi. Bancroft needs to be black listed. Harris needs another 1000 run season. Renshaw was surprisingly good in the BBL, but cant make a run for QLD.

Patterson and Richardson should be the next cabs IMO.

Just because Swepson was pulled in for Syd, doesnt mean a hell of a lot, as they always have 2 spin options for Syd. My memory is bad, but I think its been a while since we played 2 genuine spinners in Syd (did Agar or SOK play last yr?). We lack quality spinners ATM, and he is arguably the best of a bad-ish bunch.
Labuschagne was the "2nd spinner" last year

Last genuine 2nd spinner was SoK in 17

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

SOK should still be the 2nd spinner imo.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

julian87 wrote: February 5, 2020, 9:01 pm SOK should still be the 2nd spinner imo.
Was actually unlucky not to be given a decent go way back before the settled on Lyon. His performance has always outweighed the selectors opinion of him.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Northern Raider wrote:
julian87 wrote: February 5, 2020, 9:01 pm SOK should still be the 2nd spinner imo.
Was actually unlucky not to be given a decent go way back before the settled on Lyon. His performance has always outweighed the selectors opinion of him.
SOK can’t actually spin the ball. He gets found out by good players.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: February 5, 2020, 4:34 pm Matt, how can you say Swepo coming into the squad for the Sydney test doesn't mean a lot? Surely means he's the no2 spinner in the eyes of selectors.
Because of the 4 posts above this 1
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: February 6, 2020, 5:56 am
Northern Raider wrote: February 5, 2020, 4:34 pm Matt, how can you say Swepo coming into the squad for the Sydney test doesn't mean a lot? Surely means he's the no2 spinner in the eyes of selectors.
Huh? :?
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

BJ wrote: February 5, 2020, 9:47 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
He’s got a first class bowling average of 24 and test average of 29 so that’s a bit of a myth imo.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: February 6, 2020, 8:08 am
SOK was/ is the #2 spinner in the country and he doesnt spin it.
Zampa is our short form guy, and he doesnt spin it.
We have been using Labu as our 2nd spin option for a couple of years. Its how he played in the sub continent.
Swepson is there almost by default in squad selection. 'You have to take 2 spinners to Syd', so he was the bum in the seat. I dont want that to completely dismiss his ability, but he isnt where CA hoped he would be by now.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Swepson is #2 atm but with Marnus Locked in I think he’s surplus to requirements atm.

I still think O’Keefe would be a better pick when next in the sub continent giving us both varieties of finger spin + Marnus’ leggies.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Matt wrote: February 6, 2020, 8:19 am
We have been using Labu as our 2nd spin option for a couple of years. Its how he played in the sub continent.
Swepson is there almost by default in squad selection. 'You have to take 2 spinners to Syd', so he was the bum in the seat. I dont want that to completely dismiss his ability, but he isnt where CA hoped he would be by now.
I think you’re downplaying his last 12 months of cricket. He’s coming along nicely atm there’s just not a spot for him.

SOK should but won’t be picked again.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

julian87 wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
He’s got a first class bowling average of 24 and test average of 29 so that’s a bit of a myth imo.
Taking bulk wickets in India should have kept him in the frame, but I think his indiscretion soured things a bit

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

-TW- wrote: February 6, 2020, 11:08 am
julian87 wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
Taking bulk wickets in India should have kept him in the frame, but I think his indiscretion soured things a bit

What did he actually do?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Where exactly did they want him to be by now? Lyon isn't getting dropped any time soon so I doubt they're chasing a replacement. They need somebody in reserve in case Lyon breaks a finger on his bowling hand or something. By including Swepo in the squad for Sydney sends a clear message that right now he's their guy if that happens.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Matt wrote:
-TW- wrote: February 6, 2020, 11:08 am
julian87 wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: Was actually unlucky not to be given a decent go way back before the settled on Lyon. His performance has always outweighed the selectors opinion of him.

What did he actually do?
Got hammered at a Preso night and made a dick of himself

https://www.google.com/amp/s/coupler.fo ... fc7a576a49

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: February 6, 2020, 2:15 pm
Where exactly did they want him to be by now? Lyon isn't getting dropped any time soon so I doubt they're chasing a replacement. They need somebody in reserve in case Lyon breaks a finger on his bowling hand or something. By including Swepo in the squad for Sydney sends a clear message that right now he's their guy if that happens.
They expected a poor mans Warnie. Which I dont think he is.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: February 7, 2020, 7:38 am

Interesting take. He's only 26 and not even played a test yet. Has had no opportunity to show whether he's a poor man's Warnie, the next Warnie or the next Steve Smith (as a bowler). I'm not sure what you're basing your assessment on. Fact is he's currently been positioned as the next choice specialist spin bowler by the simple fact that he's the only one included in the extended test squad this season. Surely you can see that.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: February 7, 2020, 12:32 pm
Matt wrote: February 7, 2020, 7:38 am
Interesting take. He's only 26 and not even played a test yet. Has had no opportunity to show whether he's a poor man's Warnie, the next Warnie or the next Steve Smith (as a bowler). I'm not sure what you're basing your assessment on. Fact is he's currently been positioned as the next choice specialist spin bowler by the simple fact that he's the only one included in the extended test squad this season. Surely you can see that.
Swepson's 1st class avg is 35 and a bit.

Here are a few random spinners I can think of being here in recent times.
Ashwin 26.
Shah 28.
Santner 46 - WOW!
Moeen Ali - 38

SOK's is 24.5.
Agar - 41.19
Zampa - 48.26
Holland - 32.86
Lyon - 33.94
Warnie - 26

They might have him as the 2nd best spinner in the country ATM, but looking at his numbers and the ones above, where do you place him?
Im trying to say, our spin options arent good here ATM.