The Cricket Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by greeneyed »

Another disappointing performance from Australia.

Can’t say I’ve ever seen so many moths in Canberra... outside Bogong season anyway. Guess it’s the wet weather and the vegetation growth.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

2nd day of the Australia A vs India.

On day 1, Pattinson took 3 for, Neser and Head, of all people, took 2 for. India 247/9d.

The "bat off" begun on day 2, and both Pucovski and Burns didn't help their causes, with 1 and 4 respectively.

Harris 35 and Maddinson 23, probably not enough to sway selectors.

Nice to see Paine still in good nic, 44.

Neser 33 presents decent all round contributions.

However, the name on everyone's lips, Cam Green piled on 114. We need to find a way to get him in there.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Day 3, final day, of the A-side duel.

Cant workout if India were "going the tonk" or they just sucked.

Green got both openers in just 4 overs.

Neser also got 2 for, and continues to just nag away as "the next man up".

Skeetee got 5 for.

Saha, saved the Indians with 54*.

The worry is, Pucovski got hit on the helmet by a short ball, and has suffered mild concussion. He retired hurt on 23.

So, after the 1st A game, Green puts his name forward for Test selection.

As mentioned, Neser is the 5th quick in line, but has some bowler all-rounder qualities (Cummins, Hazelwood, Starc, Pattinson then Neser).

The opener position is still unknown.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I watched a lot of Aust A 1st innings. Burns is in horrible form. A long way from his best. Despite being the incumbent I'm not sure they can carry him in the test team with Warner out. Tough call to make there.

Pucovski didn't look comfortable either. Yadav was seaming it around and he struggled to cope. A far cry from the roads he batted on got those big shield scores this year. Might not be ready for test cricket yet. Interesting to see if selectors take the punt on him. His concussion might be a factor.

Harris was unconvincing too. Not sure he's done enough to earn a recall after previously failing at test level.

Cameron Green looked all class. While others battled he was in total control. A genuine test player of the future. It's a matter of when. Opportunity could come sooner than expected.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: December 9, 2020, 8:11 am I watched a lot of Aust A 1st innings. Burns is in horrible form. A long way from his best. Despite being the incumbent I'm not sure they can carry him in the test team with Warner out. Tough call to make there.

Pucovski didn't look comfortable either. Yadav was seaming it around and he struggled to cope. A far cry from the roads he batted on got those big shield scores this year. Might not be ready for test cricket yet. Interesting to see if selectors take the punt on him. His concussion might be a factor.

Harris was unconvincing too. Not sure he's done enough to earn a recall after previously failing at test level.

Cameron Green looked all class. While others battled he was in total control. A genuine test player of the future. It's a matter of when. Opportunity could come sooner than expected.
Pucovski has only moved to the top of the order as of this yr, bit like Maddinson did last yr. Has been a middle order bat til now. So the ball doing a bit more will have an effect. Yes, agree, has played on roads this yr, so that helps. The poor SOB cant catch a break regarding his health though. Yet another setback.

This has been the knock on Burns his whole career though, he has droughts. Being an 'eye' guy, means he will never get rid of this fact either. He has had long enough to correct his technique. Unlike Warner, he never made enough of a readjustment. PS. Seems like Patterson is having the same issue.

Im not a fan of Harris, and Id still prefer to take a punt on Pucovski, but the experience factor might be enough to earn a recall for the 1st Test, then see how he goes.

As for Green, I think you have to pick him. And with the openers being VERY shaky, perhaps we have to do a batting order reshuffle to accomodate that. Options:
1. Shift everyone up 1 - Labu open, Smith 3, etc. (I know thats not Smiths preferred spot and he might call rank)
2. Reshuffle 1 - Labu open, Head 3 (has done this for SA at times), Wade 5, Green 6.
3. Reshuffle 2 - Wade open, rest as they are, Green 6. I know white ball is different to red ball, BUT, didnt Wade move up the order for Tassie before his recall?!? Also, batting at 6, you often see the 2nd new ball, so why not the 1st?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/au ... -MTTbvm8GY

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/cricket ... 07tmtDON4s

Read the 2 articles before you jump down my throat, BUT.... I dont hate either as a band aid til Warner is there.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Honestly I'd throw Maddinson in front of SMarsh or Usi

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

bonehead wrote: December 9, 2020, 12:52 pm Honestly I'd throw Maddinson in front of SMarsh or Usi

WOW! Big call
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I have been a supporter of Burns over the years, but this year he is in horrible form and imo, simply can't be picked. Long term if he is picked and fails then his Test career is in the toilet. Better to let him find some form in Shield Cricket if he can.

Matt Wade is an experienced player and I would go with him as an opener with Warner out of the first test. Green is in such good form it would be a travesty to leave him out. As much as I have panned Marsh in the past, his form means he should be picked.

Wade, Marsh, Labu, Smith, Green, Head, Paine - NSW bowlers.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

RedRaider wrote: December 9, 2020, 1:08 pm I have been a supporter of Burns over the years, but this year he is in horrible form and imo, simply can't be picked. Long term if he is picked and fails then his Test career is in the toilet. Better to let him find some form in Shield Cricket if he can.

Matt Wade is an experienced player and I would go with him as an opener with Warner out of the first test. Green is in such good form it would be a travesty to leave him out. As much as I have panned Marsh in the past, his form means he should be picked.

Id reverse Green and Head, but I dont mind this
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Matt wrote:
bonehead wrote: December 9, 2020, 12:52 pm Honestly I'd throw Maddinson in front of SMarsh or Usi

WOW! Big call
throw a bone, the other 2 have had their chance

Edrick The Entertainer
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I know he’s been put out or pasture but with Warner out Khawaja really has to play.

Burns sucks and Is only in the frame because Warner likes him. Pucovski looks the real deal but the concussion thing is an issue.

+ Whiteman > Harris, Marsh and Burns as well imo. You can pick a stop gap opener (experience while Warner is out). But you can’t pick a makeshift opener imo. It’s test cricket not white ball stuff.

Pucovski (Whiteman though he’s not in contention)
Khawaja until Warner is back
Labuschagne
Smith
Head (if he really cements his spot he is Paine’s successor imo)
Green (had to play)
Paine
Cummins
Starc (Pattinson if not good)
Lyon
Hazlewood

Wade
Pattinson
Neser
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/matthew ... 2020-12-10

Pup seems to think Wadey could do it
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Wade snicks off for fun against a moving ball, middle order or not at all

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Matt wrote: December 9, 2020, 1:18 pm
RedRaider wrote: December 9, 2020, 1:08 pm I have been a supporter of Burns over the years, but this year he is in horrible form and imo, simply can't be picked. Long term if he is picked and fails then his Test career is in the toilet. Better to let him find some form in Shield Cricket if he can.

Matt, I put the possible debutant Green in at 5 so that he has experienced batsmen either side of him in the order. If he gets a start I would want him to have more than our keeper and bowlers at the other end. Head is in good form this year and I reckon he would be a positive for Green to bat with. We will know soon enough.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

RedRaider wrote: December 10, 2020, 10:55 pm
Matt wrote: December 9, 2020, 1:18 pm

Matt, I put the possible debutant Green in at 5 so that he has experienced batsmen either side of him in the order. If he gets a start I would want him to have more than our keeper and bowlers at the other end. Head is in good form this year and I reckon he would be a positive for Green to bat with. We will know soon enough.
fair enough
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Green hit in the head while bowling
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

This is all an elaborate ploy by the Marshes to snipe players so they are the only ones left.

Clever.. if you ask me

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Usi.
He’ll get it done.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pucovski ruled out.
Harris drafted in.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Fair enough. Sets up Burns to get squeezed out. He's in awful form but won't be able to argue he didn't get the chances. Pucovski in for the second Test I assume.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Probably Warner

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

If they pick Burns, we are saying we can beat Indian with 10 men.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Based on how bad Burns has been, I've come around to Wade and Harris opening and Green at 6.

Least Harris has some form behind him, even if he failed today.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Harris didn't take his chance for Australia A. Really hasn't earned a recall after previously failing at Test level. Lack of options likely see him Bradbury into a spot.

Wouldn't surprise to see both him and Burns opening for the 1st test. It's a temporary spot for one or both with Warner set to return for the 2nd test.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Thats why I can live with SMarsh for 1 Test. Coz Pucovski and Warner are vack for Boxing day
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Am I missing something? What's wrong with Khawaja coming in to open given the current injury rut?

If Burns plays, it's a waste of a spot.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Azza wrote: December 14, 2020, 10:54 am Am I missing something? What's wrong with Khawaja coming in to open given the current injury rut?

The 4 options being thrown up are:
1. SMarsh - Langer loves him... no bias there, WA hommies.
2. Uzi - Candice Warner backed him 1st, and a couple of Ex-players have mentioned him.
3. Harris - was drafted in after Pucovski was ruled out
4. Green via Wade/ Labu - is looking more and more likely

Remembering, that we might need 2 openers now, not 1, so might get 2 of these options. TBH, its looking more and more likely we get options 3 and 4.

With neither of the top 2 having been drafted into the squad, I cant see them getting a call up wk of the Test.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Azza wrote: December 14, 2020, 10:54 am Am I missing something? What's wrong with Khawaja coming in to open given the current injury rut?

No idea why Khawaja isn't a walk up starter for the 1st test. For some reason selectors instead felt the need to "rush" Harris back into the squad on the back of a magnificent 26 vs India A.

Maybe they're concerned he'll get runs and they won't be able to drop him again. :lol:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: December 14, 2020, 11:37 am

No idea why Khawaja isn't a walk up starter for the 1st test. For some reason selectors instead felt the need to "rush" Harris back into the squad on the back of a magnificent 26 vs India A.

Maybe they're concerned he'll get runs and they won't be able to drop him again. :lol:
Made 35 in the 1st game :P
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Matt wrote: December 14, 2020, 11:04 am

2. Uzi - Candice Warner backed him 1st, and a couple of Ex-players have mentioned him.

Remembering, that we might need 2 openers now, not 1, so might get 2 of these options. TBH, its looking more and more likely we get options 3 and 4.

With neither of the top 2 having been drafted into the squad, I cant see them getting a call up wk of the Test.
That's ridiculous if the case. To have two relative rookies opening against a strong bowling attack is immediately putting us at a handicap. I'm not a fan of moving Labulicious up the order either, he and Smith have been the rocks of our middle order recently
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: December 14, 2020, 11:49 am
Northern Raider wrote: December 14, 2020, 11:37 am

Made 35 in the 1st game :P
Bradmanesque numbers there
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Azza wrote: December 14, 2020, 11:50 am
Matt wrote: December 14, 2020, 11:04 am

That's ridiculous if the case. To have two relative rookies opening against a strong bowling attack is immediately putting us at a handicap. I'm not a fan of moving Labulicious up the order either, he and Smith have been the rocks of our middle order recently
I agree. Leave Labu, Smith and Head as the middle order. BUT... gotta pick someone.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Oh god, I forgot about Head. I really don't feel that confident about our hopes this summer if Smith/Warner/Labu aren't in prime scoring form, the rest of our batting does not inspire confidence.