The Cricket Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Posts: 19380
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by -PJ- »

That test match had it all.

Of course there was Laxman and Dravid but there was plenty more..

Adam Gilchrist became the first AUS batsman to get a king pair. 2 first ball ducks. His 2nd innings dismissal was lbw to Tendulkar..Tendulkar took another wicket as well. Matthew Hayden made scores of 97 and 67. Steve Waugh made a first innings century, our good mate Harbhajan Singh took 13 wickets for the match including a hat trick.

I still remember it well, what a game of test cricket.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:

User avatar
-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Posts: 19380
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by -PJ- »

Geez I need to keep up to speed on what's happening.

I've just found out this first AUS v NZ test from Perth is a day/night get together..wow.

Us poor souls on the east coast are in for some late nights.

First ball at 4pm in Sydney.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:

User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 31741
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by -TW- »

I love cricket being on at 11pm at night

I'm a huge fan of day/night test cricket, and soon it will have to be the new norm if the game wants to survive

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk


User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 33596
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Matt »

-PJ- wrote:
December 6, 2019, 11:28 am
Geez I need to keep up to speed on what's happening.

I've just found out this first AUS v NZ test from Perth is a day/night get together..wow.

Us poor souls on the east coast are in for some late nights.

First ball at 4pm in Sydney.
yup, midnight finishes will be tough

User avatar
Azza
Steve Walters
Posts: 7260
Joined: February 16, 2005, 10:12 am

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Azza »

Calcutta 2001... amazing test match and series. The reason to this day the aussies (and most teams) are generally reluctant to enforce the follow on. The Chennai test that followed was also a cracker. Mark Waugh almost stole it for us with an amazing catch at the death

It was also the series where Hayden made his name. He single handedly kept us in the series with his batting. Ponting had a shocker of a series at no 6. Gilchrist got a king pair (some dodgy umpiring) following on from an amazing 100 in the first test.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 33596
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Matt »

QLD knocked over for 240. Conway with 5 for, AND, a 4 wicket maiden. W,0,W,W,0,W. Nice 6 balls. Double WOW.

Tassie knocked over for 254. Milenko 100 at 7.

WA vs Vic is going to be abandoned for a dangerous pitch.

julian87
Laurie Daley
Posts: 12069
Joined: October 20, 2005, 3:35 pm

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by julian87 »

-PJ- wrote:
December 6, 2019, 11:17 am
That test match had it all.

Of course there was Laxman and Dravid but there was plenty more..

Adam Gilchrist became the first AUS batsman to get a king pair. 2 first ball ducks. His 2nd innings dismissal was lbw to Tendulkar..Tendulkar took another wicket as well. Matthew Hayden made scores of 97 and 67. Steve Waugh made a first innings century, our good mate Harbhajan Singh took 13 wickets for the match including a hat trick.

I still remember it well, what a game of test cricket.
That hat trick is a joke btw.

The Indian umpire triggered Gilchrist. Harbhajan bowling over the wicket to a left hander pitched it 6 inches outside leg stump and he inside edged it😂
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.

User avatar
Azza
Steve Walters
Posts: 7260
Joined: February 16, 2005, 10:12 am

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Azza »

julian87 wrote:
December 7, 2019, 7:34 pm
-PJ- wrote:
December 6, 2019, 11:17 am
That test match had it all.

Of course there was Laxman and Dravid but there was plenty more..

Adam Gilchrist became the first AUS batsman to get a king pair. 2 first ball ducks. His 2nd innings dismissal was lbw to Tendulkar..Tendulkar took another wicket as well. Matthew Hayden made scores of 97 and 67. Steve Waugh made a first innings century, our good mate Harbhajan Singh took 13 wickets for the match including a hat trick.

I still remember it well, what a game of test cricket.
That hat trick is a joke btw.

The Indian umpire triggered Gilchrist. Harbhajan bowling over the wicket to a left hander pitched it 6 inches outside leg stump and he inside edged it😂
Let's not forget Shane Warne hit a bump ball into the ground and got given out. :lol:

User avatar
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Posts: 16101
Joined: June 21, 2008, 3:04 pm
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton
Location: Sydney

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by yeh raiders »

No surprises the umpire in that test match was also Indian.

He was celebrating each time he put the finger up, like literally beaming with joy.

User avatar
Azza
Steve Walters
Posts: 7260
Joined: February 16, 2005, 10:12 am

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Azza »

I don't think he knew the LBW law to be honest. Pretty much hit the pad --> out.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 33596
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Matt »

This should get you pumped up for the Aussie vs Kiwi Test series.
Some great statistical matchups.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/au ... jsYj23lUBQ

User avatar
-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Posts: 19380
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by -PJ- »

I'm hearing Trent Boult has been ruled out..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 33596
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Matt »

-PJ- wrote:
December 12, 2019, 11:04 am
I'm hearing Trent Boult has been ruled out..
Good news for us.

Fox article suggests as much: https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/au ... fef8c4a538

User avatar
Makaveli
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6534
Joined: January 16, 2005, 9:49 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Makaveli »

It would be awesome if our players knew how to review

How come every time we get someone out LB, they review, and now Burns doesnt and he wasnt out

Idiots

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25726
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Northern Raider »

Makaveli wrote:
December 12, 2019, 4:15 pm
It would be awesome if our players knew how to review

How come every time we get someone out LB, they review, and now Burns doesnt and he wasnt out

Idiots
Watching live it looked plumb. Not so much on replay. I can understand both umpire giving it and Burns not reviewing. Both were still wrong.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 33596
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote:
December 12, 2019, 5:20 pm
Makaveli wrote:
December 12, 2019, 4:15 pm
It would be awesome if our players knew how to review

How come every time we get someone out LB, they review, and now Burns doesnt and he wasnt out

Idiots
Watching live it looked plumb. Not so much on replay. I can understand both umpire giving it and Burns not reviewing. Both were still wrong.
Yup. Looked plum live. I had my finger up

User avatar
Makaveli
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6534
Joined: January 16, 2005, 9:49 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Makaveli »

Why is the run rate so s***

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk


User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 31741
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by -TW- »

New Zealand have bowled real well

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk


User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25726
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Northern Raider »

Steve Smith in his element here. He thrives when the game is played in the trenches. He'll back his own patience to outlast the bowlers.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 31741
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by -TW- »

Yes Marney

Get in son

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk


User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25726
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Northern Raider »

Unbelievable stuff from Labuschagne. He Bradbury'd his way into the team during the Ashes and not looked back since.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25726
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Northern Raider »

Northern Raider wrote:
December 12, 2019, 8:43 pm
Steve Smith in his element here. He thrives when the game is played in the trenches. He'll back his own patience to outlast the bowlers.
Ok that ones on me
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 31741
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by -TW- »

Northern Raider wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
December 12, 2019, 8:43 pm
Steve Smith in his element here. He thrives when the game is played in the trenches. He'll back his own patience to outlast the bowlers.
Ok that ones on me
Couldn't get going, very scratchy 40 odd

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk


User avatar
Makaveli
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6534
Joined: January 16, 2005, 9:49 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Makaveli »

Drop Smith

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk


User avatar
Azza
Steve Walters
Posts: 7260
Joined: February 16, 2005, 10:12 am

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Azza »

Still give the day to the aussies I think, largely thanks to Labulicious.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 33596
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Matt »

Aussies:

Burns unlucky on review, but looked plum live.
Warner found a way to chip a full toss back to Wagner, after looking very comfortable.
Smith actually fell for a trap, which was weird to watch. As was watching how scratchy he looked at the crease.
Wade left one that hooped 3 feet into his off stump. Whats worse, it swung from the hand, so was easy to pickup.

Labu looked a million buck from ball 1. Feet moving, bat flowing through the ball. Barely a false shot (did have a couple late, where he didnt pickup the ball, and heat fatigue would have been setting in).

Head looks like a bloke that hasnt batted for a while. Very scratchy, but typical of him. Will hit one clean as, then flirt with one outside off stump that he definitely shouldn't have. Ok, some of that comes down to the pink ball too. But thats how he plays.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 33596
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Matt »

Kiwis:

Ferguson, took an over or 2 to get to top speed. TBH, didnt think he looked that threatening. Then got a calf injury and didnt return.
Southee, like Jimmy Anderson last he was here, looks at least a yard slower, maybe more. Bowled tight, but didnt look threatening til the last hour.
Wagner, this bloke bustles in, and is all effort. I wanna say he has a bit of Merv about him... as long as you remember he isnt a big guy, nor an imposing mo, and despite a few facial reactions, doesnt look a talker or eye baller. Does love the short stuff though, which was Mervs go.
De Grandhomme, well, when you only bowl 120km/hr, you better bowl perfect line and length. He did a good job of it. Bowled very tight, but didnt threaten, even if he did get Burns. A very Kiwi bits and pieces allrounder.
Santer, well, looks an avg spinner IMO. Not a lot of turn, but looks like he can bowl long tight spells. Another Kiwi dibbily dobbler allrounder.

julian87
Laurie Daley
Posts: 12069
Joined: October 20, 2005, 3:35 pm

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by julian87 »

De Grandhomme and Wagner have been my favorite 2 players for some time now. Was good to see them perform well over here tbh. CDG will have to shoulder Ferguson’s load now. They need to knock us over for less than 400 and go big first innings to big to be a shot here.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25726
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Northern Raider »

julian87 wrote:
December 13, 2019, 9:31 am
De Grandhomme and Wagner have been my favorite 2 players for some time now. Was good to see them perform well over here tbh. CDG will have to shoulder Ferguson’s load now. They need to knock us over for less than 400 and go big first innings to big to be a shot here.
I think CDG will revel in the added responsibility. Kiwis can cover the loss of Ferguson far better than the Poms were able to cover losing Anderson in the 1st Ashes test.

The match is well and truly in the balance now, although Aussies have a slight advantage. A couple of early wickets will tip it the other way. 1st hour will be critical for both teams.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 33596
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote:
December 13, 2019, 11:37 am
julian87 wrote:
December 13, 2019, 9:31 am
De Grandhomme and Wagner have been my favorite 2 players for some time now. Was good to see them perform well over here tbh. CDG will have to shoulder Ferguson’s load now. They need to knock us over for less than 400 and go big first innings to big to be a shot here.
I think CDG will revel in the added responsibility. Kiwis can cover the loss of Ferguson far better than the Poms were able to cover losing Anderson in the 1st Ashes test.

The match is well and truly in the balance now, although Aussies have a slight advantage. A couple of early wickets will tip it the other way. 1st hour will be critical for both teams.
Not sure they can cover Ferguson strike, even if they can cover his overs. Those are 2 different things. Both CDG and Wagner are workhorse type bowlers. They will run in all day without complaint. TBH, it might not affect Wagner, at least not til very late in the day. However, CDG isnt getting more dangerous with overs. The more they bowl in that heat though, eventually it will take an effect.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 33596
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Matt »

Its official, Ferguson has a calf tendon strain that will prevent him from bowling. He can bat though.

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25726
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Northern Raider »

Matt wrote:
December 13, 2019, 12:00 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
December 13, 2019, 11:37 am
julian87 wrote:
December 13, 2019, 9:31 am
De Grandhomme and Wagner have been my favorite 2 players for some time now. Was good to see them perform well over here tbh. CDG will have to shoulder Ferguson’s load now. They need to knock us over for less than 400 and go big first innings to big to be a shot here.
I think CDG will revel in the added responsibility. Kiwis can cover the loss of Ferguson far better than the Poms were able to cover losing Anderson in the 1st Ashes test.

The match is well and truly in the balance now, although Aussies have a slight advantage. A couple of early wickets will tip it the other way. 1st hour will be critical for both teams.
Not sure they can cover Ferguson strike, even if they can cover his overs. Those are 2 different things. Both CDG and Wagner are workhorse type bowlers. They will run in all day without complaint. TBH, it might not affect Wagner, at least not til very late in the day. However, CDG isnt getting more dangerous with overs. The more they bowl in that heat though, eventually it will take an effect.
Any time you lose a front line bowler you're attack is weakened. That's a captain obvious situation. It comes back to how much impact that loss has.

Look at it this way. If you had to lose one of Southee, Ferguson and Wagner which would you choose?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25726
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Northern Raider »

Marnus out for 143. This is following Warner for 43 and Smith for 43. Head currently on 40 would love to hit a boundary right now.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
Makaveli
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6534
Joined: January 16, 2005, 9:49 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Makaveli »

Is it just me or does Head always seem to make a 30 or 40 and then get out

Not a fan of him in the team

User avatar
Makaveli
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6534
Joined: January 16, 2005, 9:49 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Makaveli »

Whats worse, giving Raval his first test wicket or waste 80 balls doing so

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk


Post Reply