The Cricket Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Northern Raider »

-PJ- wrote: November 24, 2019, 5:57 pm I've been watching the fox coverage and will admit that I do miss the ch9 team.

It may take a while to get used to these waynekerrs I spose.

Just like the ch9 coverage, there's blokes I can't stand on Fox cricket as well...
Fox coverage is very much modelled on the Ch9 format. All high profile former players providing expert analysis. Always a situation where some are going to be better than others. They are all a little bland though. Not much material for Billy Birmingham.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

No Ian Healy anywhere so it's all good...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-PJ- wrote: November 24, 2019, 6:26 pm No Ian Healy anywhere so it's all good...
Heals has great knowledge but is a bit of a dribbler. Hard to listen to.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I agree, I don't think either are good. I'm leaning to 7 though.
That said, I was very over the old boys in jokes at 9, which was/is the same issue with league.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: November 24, 2019, 6:41 pm
-PJ- wrote: November 24, 2019, 6:26 pm No Ian Healy anywhere so it's all good...
Heals has great knowledge but is a bit of a dribbler. Hard to listen to.
Agreed. His knowledge and insight is good, but story's and antidotes stink
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

julian87 wrote: November 24, 2019, 5:27 pm
RedRaider wrote: November 24, 2019, 2:47 pm I've been watching the Seven coverage and it has been very good.
I've only seen snippets but my impression is that it is very, very ordinary. I really just can't hack ball by ball callers who are non experts on television cricket coverage. They are a necessity on radio but channel 9 had it right for a long time. You need to be an expert to be in the TV com box because you don't need to describe the action, you need to add expertise in filling in what viewers might not see or understand.
I am the first to admit I have not sat down and watched all 6 hours of coverage each day, but I have seen and heard a fair bit from Damien Fleming, Ricky Ponting, Michael Slater, Glenn McGrath and Jason Gillespie. The one I think hasn't done ok is Simon Katich. Dull as. It's still a fair list of 'been there, done that', expertise. I like Alison Mitchel and Mel McLaughlin as commentators and interviewers. Tim Lane has been good and James Brayshaw imo. To each their own though.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seven has been lots better than Nine. Over at Nine they had calcified.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:Seven has been lots better than Nine. Over at Nine they had calcified.
I’m still not sold on Seven.

Yes channel 9 had lost their way, but I still felt Mark Nicholas was a good anchor and Shane Warne a good expert analyst.

Seven not winning me over.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Back to the match - Well done to Australia. Pakistan won the toss and batted and Australia bowled them out in one day. Australia also bowled them out in a little over one day in their second innings. In between they piled on 580 runs without a Smith dominant innings. Very impressive imo.

An interesting story to come from the match was about 20 or so overstepping No Ball deliveries that were not called by the Umpires. Umpire fatigue may play a part in this. Some years ago there was a plan to rotate the 3 Umpires to give each some 'on ground' time. It may be worth a re-look from a fatigue point of view.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

RedRaider wrote:Back to the match - Well done to Australia. Pakistan won the toss and batted and Australia bowled them out in one day. Australia also bowled them out in a little over one day in their second innings. In between they piled on 580 runs without a Smith dominant innings. Very impressive imo.

An interesting story to come from the match was about 20 or so overstepping No Ball deliveries that were not called by the Umpires. Umpire fatigue may play a part in this. Some years ago there was a plan to rotate the 3 Umpires to give each some 'on ground' time. It may be worth a re-look from a fatigue point of view.
there was a guy on abc commentary that they are developing a Hawkeye style no-ball system that will alert the umpire through a watch/wristband notification

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’m a big supporter of 3 rotating umpires.

Also no ball detection technology would allow the umpires to focus on the delivery and shot themselves
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

3 ump rotation makes so much sense. Not sure why they haven't implemented it already.

They could also use the video umpire to monitor the front foot. He could watch a fixed camera on the front line and send a signal if bowler over steps. No new tech as it's using all the facilities they currently have.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

bonehead wrote:
RedRaider wrote:Back to the match - Well done to Australia. Pakistan won the toss and batted and Australia bowled them out in one day. Australia also bowled them out in a little over one day in their second innings. In between they piled on 580 runs without a Smith dominant innings. Very impressive imo.

there was a guy on abc commentary that they are developing a Hawkeye style no-ball system that will alert the umpire through a watch/wristband notification

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
They have to change the laws for that to work. Otherwise you'd need a million sensors.

It would effectively be like indoor cricket where you can't touch the line at all, which tbh isn't a bad thing

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Leading up to the start of this test I didn't know it was on 7.

I might give them a go next time around.

I suppose on any coverage you're going to get good with shocking.

I find a lot of the technical stuff unnecessary..like FOXCRICKET Lab..really ? don't care.

Anyway, dominate display from AUS back on hard pitches. Look forward to Adelaide.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Northern Raider wrote: November 24, 2019, 8:38 pm 3 ump rotation makes so much sense. Not sure why they haven't implemented it already.

They could also use the video umpire to monitor the front foot. He could watch a fixed camera on the front line and send a signal if bowler over steps. No new tech as it's using all the facilities they currently have.

100% agree with you NR. It was existing technology which picked up the 20 something non-'No Ball' calls. You'd think it would be a relatively simple matter to advise the 'on field' Umpire in close to real time. The bowlers can then adjust to their overstepping and other than the fact the bowler has to bowl another ball, there is little disruption to the game. The advantage is that the rules of the game are being enforced.

I have advocated for similar technology to police the 10 meters in Rugby League but I'm in the wrong thread for that.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

On the no ball discussion. A 3rd or even new 4th umpire should check every ball as it happens and call the no ball themselves.

In this day and age of technology I find it outrageous we’re expexting the top level of umpires to watch the front foot as well as the delivery. It is so unnecessary. And with people in the box they don’t need to spend money on foot fault technology either, just have the human check it.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

julian87 wrote: November 25, 2019, 6:51 am On the no ball discussion. A 3rd or even new 4th umpire should check every ball as it happens and call the no ball themselves.

In this day and age of technology I find it outrageous we’re expexting the top level of umpires to watch the front foot as well as the delivery. It is so unnecessary. And with people in the box they don’t need to spend money on foot fault technology either, just have the human check it.
That tennis line sensor was the theory for so long, but I totally agree. Let the 3rd umpire sit there and watch the foot land. If its a no-ball, tell the on field guy via the ear piece or whatever.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Really staggering how Broad's batting has regressed so much since those hits
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Hopefully Pakistan actually get their team right to give them more of a sniff in Adelaide.

Abbas in for one for one of the right handed bowlers. I'd drop Iftikhar too he looks horrible. I don't think they have another middle order batsman in the squad though. I'd consider Rizwan to 6 and their other spinner in at 7 but I don't think he bats well enough.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

julian87 wrote: November 26, 2019, 8:21 am Hopefully Pakistan actually get their team right to give them more of a sniff in Adelaide.

Abbas in for one for one of the right handed bowlers. I'd drop Iftikhar too he looks horrible. I don't think they have another middle order batsman in the squad though. I'd consider Rizwan to 6 and their other spinner in at 7 but I don't think he bats well enough.
I think thats why they went for Iftikhar.
I like Rizwan, he looks really good. Pocket rocket keeper batsmen.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I think they'd be better with Imam at 3 and dropping Sohail down to 6.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

julian87 wrote: November 26, 2019, 8:53 am I think they'd be better with Imam at 3 and dropping Sohail down to 6.
That might work too
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Iftikhar didn't look up to standard with either bat or ball. They did pick him for a reason though and he got runs against Australia A with the pink ball. They could give him one more chance in Adelaide.

Moving Sohail down the order is a good idea. He's not fired batting at no3 while his record batting 4/5 is very good. He could simply swap with Shafiq. Even drop to 5 and move both Shafiq and Babar up one spot.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: November 26, 2019, 9:56 am Iftikhar didn't look up to standard with either bat or ball. They did pick him for a reason though and he got runs against Australia A with the pink ball. They could give him one more chance in Adelaide.

Moving Sohail down the order is a good idea. He's not fired batting at no3 while his record batting 4/5 is very good. He could simply swap with Shafiq. Even drop to 5 and move both Shafiq and Babar up one spot.
that could work too.

Did Sohail tour here last time? If so, I remember him being a rock for them
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: November 26, 2019, 10:18 am
Northern Raider wrote: November 26, 2019, 9:56 am Iftikhar didn't look up to standard with either bat or ball. They did pick him for a reason though and he got runs against Australia A with the pink ball. They could give him one more chance in Adelaide.

that could work too.

Think he scored a century against us in UAE
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: November 26, 2019, 10:57 am

that could work too.

I thought he might have debuted against us in Australia, or at least been very young?
It could be the UAE im thinking of.

EDIT: Just looked him up, its his 1st time here. I must be thinking of someone else, as I have looked up the last 2 touring parties and no Sohail as a batsmen. Sohail Khan, but he is a quickie.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: November 26, 2019, 11:12 am

that could work too.

I thought he might have debuted against us in Australia, or at least been very young?

EDIT: Just looked him up, its his 1st time here. I must be thinking of someone else, as I have looked up the last 2 touring parties and no Sohail as a batsmen. Sohail Khan, but he is a quickie.
Aamir Sohail

"Hail Ritchie, hail the great man!"
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: November 26, 2019, 11:27 am
Matt wrote: November 26, 2019, 11:12 am

that could work too.

Aamir Sohail

"Hail Ritchie, hail the great man!"
:lol:
Yeah, but thats old skool Sohail
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Shafiq was their best performer last tour.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

julian87 wrote: November 26, 2019, 11:53 am Shafiq was their best performer last tour.
Ali scored a double ton in the 2nd Test
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Matt wrote:
julian87 wrote: November 26, 2019, 11:53 am Shafiq was their best performer last tour.
Ali scored a double ton in the 2nd Test
In one of the worst boxing day tests in memory

**** that game was boring

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Ali was like Cook 2010 last tour. Couldn't get the **** out

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

No surprises for the Aussies tomorrow, they will play unchanged.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

5yrs since Phil Hughes left us.

28th November 2014
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

-PJ- wrote: November 28, 2019, 4:33 pm 5yrs since Phil Hughes left us.

28th November 2014
yep, been all over FB