The Cricket Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

julian87
Laurie Daley

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by julian87 »

Funnily enough I think Marnus is worth a shout with the ball on this pitch.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

raiderskater wrote: August 18, 2019, 9:21 pm Big news that Smith woke up with a headache and feeling dizzy - that's bad. Australia are applying for a concussion sub. Laubuschagne(sp?) will be the one to bat if approved.
Big news. with the next test match only 3 days away we may not have him back, and we know how terrible our batting line-up is without him
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

julian87 wrote: August 18, 2019, 10:11 pm Funnily enough I think Marnus is worth a shout with the ball on this pitch.
Absolutely. He could be tricky on this deck hitting those foot marks.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

It's all ok, our #4 stood up in the 4th innings too. Oh wait... 59 from Labu. Hmmmm....
Yep shot ducks.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Super sub Labuschange!

No surprises a failure from Usman again. He’ll score a ton.... when we least require it.... and lock himself in for another 2-3 series.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

There’s something about Labuschagne. His record isn’t out of this world. But given what he’s been doing in county cricket this season I think he probably should be in the 11.

He looks a test cricketer.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

What's Warner doin ?

What's he averaging over 4 innings ?

Is Mrs Warner and the sprogs in ENG ?

Is there a distraction that's stopping him from slapping runs ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

More failures for our awesome openers, keep picking them
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Makaveli wrote: August 19, 2019, 7:22 am More failures for our awesome openers, keep picking them
Top order is useless.

Bancroft is gone, Usman -I said after the last test he drove me nuts and you can see why just doesn't contribute enough.

Surely they have to pick marnus, showed guts

Always hated Jeffrey Archer's novels
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Some Aussie series averages so far.

Warner 4.50
Bancroft 11.00
Paine 16.50
Khawaja 22.75

All going poorly and need to perform next test. Bancroft may not even get that chance.

Wade on 29.50 is a conundrum. One big score and 3 failures. Next test could reveal more about his position. Either solidify it make it look shakey.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Warner 4.50 avg.

Is it the Duke ball ?
The ENG pitches ?
His wife shopping all day ?
Is he still in WC mode ?
Impatient ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Paine sucking is nothing new. Looking forward to this summer with his continued contributions of 16 (70) every game
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

-PJ- wrote: August 19, 2019, 8:29 am Warner 4.50 avg.

Is it the Duke ball ?
The ENG pitches ?
Is he still in WC mode ?
Impatient ?
The ball he got from Archer last night was pretty good. Just did enough to get the edge.
Broad has owned him in his career, esp over there. Id say it has a lot to do with the pitch/ ball.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

OK...
The Smith conundrum isnt solvable, it just isnt, he is too good. BUT, at least Labu has put his hand up for bat at 4 should Smith not be right, and shows some fighting qualities.

If I were selecting the XI for Headingely, from the squad available, Id go:
Harris - Bancroft had his chance, and bar a blinder at bat pad, has done very little.
Warner - Form is terrible, both bat and catching, which is a worry, but class is forever.
Khawaja - Only has a couple of decent starts in the series (40 in the 1st Test and a 36 in the 2nd). Needs a 50+ soon, or he will be on shaky ground again.
Smith - BPB (Best post Bradman - BSB is already taken) - Labu should he not be right
Head - scores of 35, 51, (109* vs Worcester) and 42*. He has been solid and reliable.
Wade - Needs another score, but a 100 in the 1st Test will give him a bit of latitude in the series Id say, esp with Paine not scoring. Again, Labu must be breathing down his neck here.

Paine - His last 50 in Test cricket was 16 innings ago. He was 45* vs Sri Lanka in Canberra in Feb, which is 5 Test innings ago. I know he is our best gloveman, and the captain, but how long is this going to last? I realize its unlikely that he loses his job this series, but I really hope come our summer that Carey has been training the house down, and getting some runs under his belt.

Cummins - Easy pick. A pair of 3 for's, and a very handy 80 ball 20 in the 1st innings.
Hazelwood - Was miserly, and picked up 3 for in the 1st innings. Id take him over Siddle, as the 'accurate workhorse'.
Lyon - GOAT

Im torn on Pattinson and Starc. Might be nice to fight fire with fire, Starc vs Archer. Starc is the best swing bowler we have, and he has all sorts of wicket records for his country, so in swinging conditions hard to look past. With a fragile batting lineup, I can see why Starc's high econ rate is being used as the issue, so you go Pattinson, and his 47 proves his lower order runs could be invaluable.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Even if Smith plays, Labu should be in there based on that one innings alone. Harris in for Bancroft who has no idea.

Khawaja is useless but not really any better options are there.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Makaveli wrote:Paine sucking is nothing new. Looking forward to this summer with his continued contributions of 16 (70) every game
You know he'll score a "gritty" 60 or 70 in the 5th test that will cement his spot

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

in fairness to siddle he had burns out 3 times in 2 innings, should have taken 3 for and 2 for.
Edrick The Entertainer
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Is it the Duke ball ?
The ENG pitches ?
Is he still in WC mode ?
Impatient ?
I wouldn't mind some WC mode Warner right now. Wasn't he top scorer? (he actually played test mode in WC, very cautious starts).

He's too nicey nicey smiling all the time now. Must be exhausting putting on that act.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

julian87 wrote: August 19, 2019, 7:02 am There’s something about Labuschagne. His record isn’t out of this world. But given what he’s been doing in county cricket this season I think he probably should be in the 11.

Australia's version of James Vince. Looks the part at the crease but scores don't reflect the same quality.

Labuschagne still young so plenty of time to build his career. Steve Smith originally came in as a batting all-rounder and had a similar record at the same stage. In fact Smith took 12 tests before cracking his first ton and was averaging 29.00 up until that point. Will now go down as one of the best ever.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BadnMean wrote: August 19, 2019, 12:32 pm

Is it the Duke ball ?
The ENG pitches ?
Is he still in WC mode ?
Impatient ?
I wouldn't mind some WC mode Warner right now. Wasn't he top scorer? (he actually played test mode in WC, very cautious starts).

He's too nicey nicey smiling all the time now. Must be exhausting putting on that act.
A bit hesitant maybe and finds himself fending at balls he should either leave or smash. Come from lack of time at the crease in red ball cricket. I think he's one innings away from regaining confidence in this format.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: August 19, 2019, 12:32 pm

Is it the Duke ball ?
The ENG pitches ?
Is he still in WC mode ?
Impatient ?

He was, yes.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

World Cup Warner didn’t have to face a Dukes ball on seaming wickets.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Flat track bully at his best

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I have to hand it to Marnus. Going from 12th man to suddenly not only playing but needing to score runs on the very last day of a Test, and doing so without hesitation!, is an incredible testament to his professionalism and grit. Five stars, and a well-deserved pick for the next Test as Smith's replacement if required, IMO.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Marnus didn’t perform well enough in the first innings for my liking.

I’ve seen better drinks service at a Mormon wedding.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: August 19, 2019, 12:33 pm
julian87 wrote: August 19, 2019, 7:02 am There’s something about Labuschagne. His record isn’t out of this world. But given what he’s been doing in county cricket this season I think he probably should be in the 11.

Australia's version of James Vince. Looks the part at the crease but scores don't reflect the same quality.

Labuschagne still young so plenty of time to build his career. Steve Smith originally came in as a batting all-rounder and had a similar record at the same stage. In fact Smith took 12 tests before cracking his first ton and was averaging 29.00 up until that point. Will now go down as one of the best ever.
While we are on comparisions...

Is Steve Smith our Brian Lara? (Which would make Warner either Carl Hooper or Jimmy Adams.)

A mercurial, once in a generation player, who could score against anyone, and go big. However, if they failed their team was likely skittled. Such is the reliance on the 1 batsmen.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: August 19, 2019, 2:16 pm

Is Steve Smith our Brian Lara? (Which would make Warner either Carl Hooper or Jimmy Adams.)

A mercurial, once in a generation player, who could score against anyone, and go big. However, if they failed their team was likely skittled. Such is the reliance on the 1 batsmen.
Other than being the stand out batsman in the team I don't see much comparison between Smith and Lara. Smith is one of the most dominating batsmen we've seen in a long time. He puts a high price on his wicket, occupies the crease for long periods and consistently builds scores. Lara was a guy who would destroy any attacked when he got going but you always felt like a chance of getting him early as he was a bit streaky. I'd put Lara alonside guys like Ponting and Waugh. Smith is on a whole other level.

I should add that Lara had some very solid guys supporting him like Chanderpaul and Sarwan
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Lara was one of my favourite batsmen to watch when he got going. Flamboyant backlift and aggressive style of play - probably not as consistent as Tendulkar but played some amazing innings (he single handedly dragged the windies back into a test series against Australia in 1999 from memory - Steve Waugh's first as captain).
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Azza wrote: August 19, 2019, 4:07 pm Lara was one of my favourite batsmen to watch when he got going. Flamboyant backlift and aggressive style of play - probably not as consistent as Tendulkar but played some amazing innings (he single handedly dragged the windies back into a test series against Australia in 1999 from memory - Steve Waugh's first as captain).
He was the danger man and most prized wicket when playing the Windies. Chanderpaul was their rock.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Good points NR, I agree Smith is on another level above Ponting/Waugh at the moment.

Unlike those 2 players, Smith hasnt got the benefit of a gun batting line-up around him, making his performances all the more incredible.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: August 19, 2019, 3:43 pm
Matt wrote: August 19, 2019, 2:16 pm

Other than being the stand out batsman in the team I don't see much comparison between Smith and Lara. Smith is one of the most dominating batsmen we've seen in a long time. He puts a high price on his wicket, occupies the crease for long periods and consistently builds scores. Lara was a guy who would destroy any attacked when he got going but you always felt like a chance of getting him early as he was a bit streaky. I'd put Lara alonside guys like Ponting and Waugh. Smith is on a whole other level.

I should add that Lara had some very solid guys supporting him like Chanderpaul and Sarwan
Sarwan was ok.
Chanderpaul was very good.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

yeh raiders wrote: August 19, 2019, 4:42 pm Good points NR, I agree Smith is on another level above Ponting/Waugh at the moment.

Unlike those 2 players, Smith hasnt got the benefit of a gun batting line-up around him, making his performances all the more incredible.
This was really the point I was trying to make. Not a huge supporting cast
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

yeh raiders wrote: August 19, 2019, 4:42 pm Good points NR, I agree Smith is on another level above Ponting/Waugh at the moment.

As an Englishman, I'd still rather see Smith walking to the wicket than Waugh.

I take your point that Waugh was often coming to the wicket when the opposition were already demoralised, but I also think he played in a era with better bowlers.

There are no Ambrose and Walsh, Wasim and Waqar or Donald and Pollack equivalents today. Even the likes of Kumble and Mushtaq are probably unmatched as test bowlers today.

If Smith's form holds, he'll be catching Waugh up pretty quickly.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

My memories of S Waugh was that he often scored runs when the team most needed them. I recall him pulling Australia out of the **** on many occasions and putting on long partnerships with the tail.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I've been frustrated by the hate Smith has copped over sand paper gate, he was the captain who didn't stop them not his idea and not the perpetrator - he's been unfairly punished imo. Maybe one day we'll find out more.
Edrick The Entertainer