From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Matt »

gergreg wrote: December 9, 2018, 2:37 pm
Matt wrote:Finch saved by DRS, and TBH, probably should have been out given the call in the 1st innings.

It was called overstepping, and given the line ball call in the 1st innings which was called fine, im surprised this wasnt too.

He should have been LBW to Sharma. Another inswinging delivery.
They showed a quick collection of Sharma's bowling and he appeared to be overstepping every ball just about.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Yep
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Finch out.
Caught behind.
Looped up off the pad and glove.
TBH im not sure it flicked the glove. Id love to see the hotspot
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

No balls shouldn’t be up to the standing umpires at this level imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Just seeing DRS.
Didn't touch the glove.
Finch didnt think he touched it.
Harris told him to go.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Harris out.
Caught behind.
Poor shot
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Khawaja looking very dicey
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Like I said. Not justifying his role as a senior player in this team
Last edited by Azza on December 9, 2018, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Awful awful awful shot by Uzi.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I haven't watched cricket live for 4 years. Our batting is horrendous. No patience and flawed technique everywhere.
Pretty poor crowd too. A reflection of the current state of the game I guess.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I wouldn't be surprised if AUS are 5 or 6 wickets down at stumps.

Uzis dismissal was plain embarrassing.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Handcombe with a mistimed pull shot straight to midwicket
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Coastalraider wrote: Well Matt you’ve obviously put a lot more thought into that than I have, I guess I was just making a general comment that relative to everyone else we have been less competitive that’s the other major players. For a few years I would say we have been less competitive than usual, and a massive part in that is the skill level of our batsmen to play a ball that moves or spins - is that down to bad technique from playing short forms (which should effect everyone) or general lack of talent? It’s not as though we just got weak this year with the loss of Warner and Smith, we have battled away from home for a while now.
Maybe because in Australia we typically set up wickets with limited spin/movement it exacerbates the emphasis on flat track T20 bullies. So while everyone else is shifting, we shift even further.

Plus we have a relatively small population to draw from. For years in sport we’ve been ahead because of our prioritisation of it as part of our nation’s identity. These days I’d say that advantage of investment in training/facilities/technology has been overcome by larger countries. Another factor in the smaller population is that it weeds out less of the impatient/instant gratification millennials who need to really have patience and drive to get to the top against millions of others with the same dream in other countries.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I would have thought the dressing room conversation would have been about preserving wickets and having a crack at about 250 tomorrow. But some of the shots looked like T20 not Test cricket. Hopefully they learn what's required to win at Test level. They don't have the correct mindset at present.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

dreadful batting

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

It's terrible isn't it ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

RedRaider wrote:I would have thought the dressing room conversation would have been about preserving wickets and having a crack at about 250 tomorrow. But some of the shots looked like T20 not Test cricket. Hopefully they learn what's required to win at Test level. They don't have the correct mindset at present.
You would think so however I think this has been brought up in just about every game in the last year. They are not learning!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gangrenous wrote: December 9, 2018, 5:16 pm
Coastalraider wrote: Well Matt you’ve obviously put a lot more thought into that than I have, I guess I was just making a general comment that relative to everyone else we have been less competitive that’s the other major players. For a few years I would say we have been less competitive than usual, and a massive part in that is the skill level of our batsmen to play a ball that moves or spins - is that down to bad technique from playing short forms (which should effect everyone) or general lack of talent? It’s not as though we just got weak this year with the loss of Warner and Smith, we have battled away from home for a while now.
Maybe because in Australia we typically set up wickets with limited spin/movement it exacerbates the emphasis on flat track T20 bullies. So while everyone else is shifting, we shift even further.

Plus we have a relatively small population to draw from. For years in sport we’ve been ahead because of our prioritisation of it as part of our nation’s identity. These days I’d say that advantage of investment in training/facilities/technology has been overcome by larger countries. Another factor in the smaller population is that it weeds out less of the impatient/instant gratification millennials who need to really have patience and drive to get to the top against millions of others with the same dream in other countries.
Yes, there is some pitch related difficulties. However, with the new wicket rating systems, they cant afford to be dead non-results. I also agree with the generational things.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

It's going back to the foundation we are laying. In the junior ranks the kids are being taught to play with strong hands hitting through the line. This is great for pounding the fences but also great for hitting catches.

Even at the very early ages kids get to bat for their allotted time. Placing value of their wicket is getting lost. Those of us who had our grounding in the back yard learned the hard way that if you get out you don't get to bat any more. Our games were often based survival ahead of scoring runs. Its the opposite now. That kind of learning sticks in your brain.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

The biggest change in junior club cricket in the last 3 years has been an introduction of retiring after a certain number of balls faces rather than runs. I don’t like it tbh. It means the strong kids just hit out. When it was based on runs those kids would often have to adapt and lengthen their innings, building partnerships to make their time in the middle go further to winning. That taught those kids something and in turn those kids taught their less talented team mates something too. I’m obviously in the minority here because it was put into place after an extensive review.

Just on a personal note I run a premier league side on the North Coast of NSW. In regional cricket you need to get more out of your cricketers early as they inevitably move on at school leaving age. I’ve noticed a huge, huge difference in how juniors (14-18) bat over the past 5 years especially. Fewer batters play with the patience and respect to the opposition required. Those who do are the ones who’ve excelled at that level.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I HATE the retirement rule, except at the younger age groups. I understand why its done, but the wrong skills are being taught.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:It's going back to the foundation we are laying. In the junior ranks the kids are being taught to play with strong hands hitting through the line. This is great for pounding the fences but also great for hitting catches.

Even at the very early ages kids get to bat for their allotted time. Placing value of their wicket is getting lost. Those of us who had our grounding in the back yard learned the hard way that if you get out you don't get to bat any more. Our games were often based survival ahead of scoring runs. Its the opposite now. That kind of learning sticks in your brain.
The main thing I learnt from backyard cricket was if you hit a nice cover drive down to near the plum tree you had to swerve and duck when coming back for a second run, otherwise you copped a plum between the shoulder blades.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gergreg wrote: December 10, 2018, 9:46 am
Northern Raider wrote:It's going back to the foundation we are laying. In the junior ranks the kids are being taught to play with strong hands hitting through the line. This is great for pounding the fences but also great for hitting catches.

The main thing I learnt from backyard cricket was if you hit a nice cover drive down to near the plum tree you had to swerve and duck when coming back for a second run, otherwise you copped a plum between the shoulder blades.

Thats whats missing in the Australian cricket now. Understanding of the environment you play in. Stick a plum tree on the field now and our national team would fall apart.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Northern Raider wrote: December 10, 2018, 9:53 am
gergreg wrote: December 10, 2018, 9:46 am

Thats whats missing in the Australian cricket now. Understanding of the environment you play in. Stick a plum tree on the field now and our national team would fall apart.
a few other countries would already be used to playing with a tree on the ground

https://sport360.com/article/cricket/en ... the-ground
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

julian87 wrote: December 10, 2018, 8:37 am The biggest change in junior club cricket in the last 3 years has been an introduction of retiring after a certain number of balls faces rather than runs. I don’t like it tbh. It means the strong kids just hit out. When it was based on runs those kids would often have to adapt and lengthen their innings, building partnerships to make their time in the middle go further to winning. That taught those kids something and in turn those kids taught their less talented team mates something too. I’m obviously in the minority here because it was put into place after an extensive review.

Just on a personal note I run a premier league side on the North Coast of NSW. In regional cricket you need to get more out of your cricketers early as they inevitably move on at school leaving age. I’ve noticed a huge, huge difference in how juniors (14-18) bat over the past 5 years especially. Fewer batters play with the patience and respect to the opposition required. Those who do are the ones who’ve excelled at that level.
Its like many things these days. In an effort to give everybody a go we are watering down the learning curve. I can appreciate giving all kids a fair chance but that only encourages involvement to the detriment of achievement. Success is not properly rewarded until much later in the development cycle. By that stage its often too late as the motivation has been eroded.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

It's dumb, everyone will get a go at everything at one time or another anyway

There's always games in juniors where a team is 6 or 7 for nothing
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: December 10, 2018, 8:07 am It's going back to the foundation we are laying. In the junior ranks the kids are being taught to play with strong hands hitting through the line. This is great for pounding the fences but also great for hitting catches.

Agreed
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

T_R wrote: December 10, 2018, 8:51 am I HATE the retirement rule, except at the younger age groups. I understand why its done, but the wrong skills are being taught.
It was brought in to 'give everyone a go'. This has a place, but it breeds the wrong mindset.

In fact, this same process has crept into schools, and its the same issue.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: December 10, 2018, 10:00 am
julian87 wrote: December 10, 2018, 8:37 am The biggest change in junior club cricket in the last 3 years has been an introduction of retiring after a certain number of balls faces rather than runs. I don’t like it tbh. It means the strong kids just hit out. When it was based on runs those kids would often have to adapt and lengthen their innings, building partnerships to make their time in the middle go further to winning. That taught those kids something and in turn those kids taught their less talented team mates something too. I’m obviously in the minority here because it was put into place after an extensive review.

Its like many things these days. In an effort to give everybody a go we are watering down the learning curve. I can appreciate giving all kids a fair chance but that only encourages involvement to the detriment of achievement. Success is not properly rewarded until much later in the development cycle. By that stage its often too late as the motivation has been eroded.
A much better way of phrasing it than i did.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Game over. Thanks Warner.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Watching our bowlers apply themselves with the bat is makes watching our batsmen swing like barn doors even more infuriating. They are putting up a really stubborn battle. Kudos to the fast bowling cartel and GOAT.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Agreed. Khawaja and finch have been awful
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Australia need 40 to win with one wicket in hand.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

India win by 31 runs.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It's a real what could have been match. To go so close to winning with the way some of the top order batted? They need a good kick up the ****.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If only the batsmen had batted as well as the bowlers batted.