Soccer blows...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Re: The Soccer/Football Thread

Post by Notaroboticfish »

Also, it’s ridiculous Australia is anywhere near this competition after their “performances” in qualifying before the playoff matches
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

did someone say "success" and "a league" in the same sentence?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Edrick The Entertainer
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

bonehead wrote:did someone say "success" and "a league" in the same sentence?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Relative to what preceeded it yes it is a success. It has also created a path for young people playing the sport to forge a career in it, they dont have to ve a tim cahill or a mark viduka to make a living from the sport.

So in that respect, yes it is a success. Its not the epl or the bundesliga and it never will be, but its miles ahead of the old NSL and is a viable national competition in its own right.

Sent from Tapatalk
I found a moon rock in my nose....
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

-PJ- wrote:Soccer blows...
I remember when Australia qualified for the 2017 Rugby League World Cup! Boy was that a good time
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Notaroboticfish wrote:Barely any of them deserve qualification though. I can name at least 5 teams that didn't qualify from outside Africa that ate better than ones that did from Africa

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Deserve it on what basis?

The beauty of the biggest and greatest sporting competition in the world is that we see 32 nations from all round the world, not just the top 32 footballing nations. The best stories out of the wonderful tournaments are often out of those teams that you think don't deserve to be there. Roger Milla scoring 4 goals at a world cup as a 38 year old, Australia in 06 and NZ being the only undefeated team in a tournament is sports gold for nerds.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Soccer is rubbish. PJ is right.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Woodgers wrote:
Notaroboticfish wrote:Barely any of them deserve qualification though. I can name at least 5 teams that didn't qualify from outside Africa that ate better than ones that did from Africa

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
If you did it the way you're suggesting then it would be virtually a Europe vs South America tournament every time with maybe a Mexico, Japan, Australia, Korea thrown in for good measure. Because every nation competes in it, they can make it a true World Cup.
Why would that be a problem? From a quality of football POV?

A World Cup is surely about putting the best of the best against each other. There is no question that isn’t what happens here.
Monopoly’s are derided in sports and I’ve never figured out why

Even as an Aussie id rather watch Chile do their thing than us. Objectively it’s better, more skilled and more entertaining football

And there is honestly no point answering because none of this matters because a 48 team World Cup is coming, for revenue purposes, and none of this will be a problem by 2030 haha
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Well you've more or less hit the nail on the head Pigman, it's a money grab in the most part. The confederation that Australia eventually played to get through is very poor and has 3.5 spots to ensure USA get through, it would be impossible to gauge how pissed off FIFA are with them right now. Asia is a bit the same with the 4.5 spots as well, although it could be argued that Asia has 3 competitive teams that can run with the lower ranked European and South American teams that qualify.

The game has the option to pick and choose what it wants, because everyone plays it. Every nation on earth wants to be at the World Cup. FIFA's growth method is to ensure teams from virtually every continent are included, to spark interest in every region (and make money). If it was the top 32 teams only then they restrict their reach and perhaps you get less interest in say Africa and the Middle East.

Chile had every chance to make it. A much better chance than say New Zealand who had the old Australian path of poor Oceania teams that offer little resistance and then 180 minutes against a South American team that will win at all costs and do anything to do so (to disgraceful levels as evidenced in their recent trip to Peru). It's an absolute lottery in every sense and their entire 4 year cycle rests on this whereas Chile got much more chances to get it right or wrong. Chile got 18 games and just had to finish in the top 4 in the confederation to guarantee qualification, or 5th to get the relatively easy play off against Oceania. They didn't. They also didn't beat Australia less than 6 months ago in the Confederations Cup, and we're in a real difficult period at the moment so that says something. That's not to say we're better than Chile, we're not, but it's not as vast between Europe/South America and the rest of the world as some people will have you believe. With the rise of professional players and leagues, there is not a massive gap between the about 24 or so teams at the World Cup. It's a low scoring sport after all.

To put it in a Rugby League context though, you could say that if the NSWRL never expanded outside Sydney, you could have had the best of the best every week because all the best players would have ended up there squeezed into those teams. Just 8 or 10 Sydney clubs choc full of the best players, no Clay Priest's or Tim Grant's and just a 10 team comp of the absolute best of the best. No Raiders because that's an extra club that doesn't add much and takes away from the much superior Roosters vs Manly because they've always had the best players. In your words, that would be better from a quality of football POV.

I have no idea why you'd advocate monopoly's in sport, I think it just promotes the 'haves' and 'have nots'. That's the worst thing about soccer/football as the thread is called, generally the team with the most money wins. There are so many competitions in the world that actually aren't competitions. It's absurd. Third party agreements are ruining league but I think trying to even things out isn't a bad thing and promotes better contests across the board.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Botman
Mal Meninga

The Soccer/Football Thread

Post by Botman »

I promote monopoly’s because I’ve watch enough sport to know that parity is the death of good sports

I loathe it as a fan of many sides that need parity to survive, but parity just means there is no really good teams... as fan of the teams I’m all about parity... I want parity in the nrl.. because we can’t do it any other way

But as a fan of the sport, there is no doubt that the best product, the best version of any sport is having juggernauts do what they do.

You want to watch RL at its best? Watch the storm (y’all can send your wrestle Bull replies elsewhere, I ain’t in on that ****. As the kids say, don’t @ me)

You want to watch the best sokkka, watch Real Madrid or Barca.

You want to watch the best nrl, watch the pats

You want to watch the best basketball, watch the warriors.

And the ratings numbers support this. Much as we complain, and this why the nrl don’t do **** about TPA’s... as far as the things that matter, having dominant quality teams, rather than a competition of 16 really average teams

Juggernauts are good for business

Chile and their ilk, who are objectively better, more skilled, more entertaining than us makes for a better product

No one wants to see Australia in this play football in this current iteration. We are boring, unimaginative, and droll
We’ll probably account ourselves reasonable well and play out some tough 1-2 goal losses but we’re a 50+ ranked team playing a World Cup of 32

That’s not a meritocracy. Christ, god helps us when Tim Cahill retires haha

I love the World Cup, and I just want to see the best of the best.. this format does not deliver it, for entirely financial reasons

When they move to 48, all these problems probably sort themselves out
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

We differ in one respect. I'd definitely prefer to watch a legitimate contest where the outcome has an element of surprise than watching say a Real Madrid starting a match at $1.10 and crushing some $21 no hoper. In some of those leagues where you have the monopoly teams, you don't get many good games involving them because they are so far in front. But each to their own, I can see your point of view.

Just on the Socceroos, I don't know if you've been following them closely but I think you've gotten the wrong end of the stick. The reason why we are ranked so low is because of the attacking game plan we employ. The coach is totally delusional about the ability of our playing pool and takes on every team like we're ranked #1 and the opposition has no right to be on the same pitch as us. When we played Germany and Chile at the Confederations Cup, both their coaches commented in the press conference after the game that our style of attacking football was very bold and quite different to what they normally expect from opposition teams at that level. I wouldn't for a second say we're unimaginative and boring, I would however say that we're predictable as we set up the same way virtually every single game and have no element of surprise, and the quality of players we're producing is not as it was a decade or so ago.

Just as a side topic, the strongest rationale for why we're not producing the quality of players we used to is the emergence of easy money and contracts for Australian players in the Middle East and Asia. Back in the day our players had to go and fight for contracts in Europe in competitive leagues and take the knocks and setbacks but keep pushing to forge a career. Nowadays you can be an above average player in the A League and some bodgy club in the United Arab Emirates or China swoops in and pays you handsomely. Meanwhile they don't develop and grow as players in those leagues. The stronger players in the Australian team are guys like Sainsbury who had a stint with Inter Milan in the last year, Mooy who is at Huddesfield and playing the EPL and Rogic who plays for the biggest club in Scotland. I'm not entirely sure how the FFA fix the problem, if you're some bloke at Brisbane Roar getting $250k a year and if an Asian Club comes knocking and offers 3 or 4 times that, these blokes are hardly going to decline and hold out for the chance to maybe one day catch the eye of a scout for a decent club. Like all big sports, most the scouts barely look at you if you're over 21 anyway.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Dibbers »

Woodgers wrote:We differ in one respect. I'd definitely prefer to watch a legitimate contest where the outcome has an element of surprise than watching say a Real Madrid starting a match at $1.10 and crushing some $21 no hoper. In some of those leagues where you have the monopoly teams, you don't get many good games involving them because they are so far in front. But each to their own, I can see your point of view....
While this is the case most of the time, without the so called "Minnows" playing in big tournaments, you wouldn't have had Australia's run in the 2006 world cup, or Iceland in the Euro's just gone, or Tonga knocking NZ out of the RLWC (although i think Tonga is a better team than some give them credit for). As much as the bigger teams normally spank the minnows, some of the most exciting sport you'll see is when an underdog beats the odds.. Its what made the mighty ducks movies so good when i was a kid!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I've watched all the qualifying stuff and i guess unimaginative isnt the right word... but boring is. As you say, they are trying to play a really expansive and entertaining style but it just ends up a dogs **** breakfast most of the time because as you rightly point out, the quality just isn't there for that style

Good managers make the style suit the squad, not the other way around. I dont follow the off the field stuff closely enough to know what the general vibe of Ange is, but i can't say im particularly impressed. Limping through qualification like this is pretty poor. We were a post away from going down to Assad's boys

Regarding your last paragraph, i've been saying it for YEARS that having an a-league competition like this actually HURTS the national team, for those very reasons. Guys can just live out a good, well payed career here now... if Harry Kewell came through the system now, instead of being put on a jet to Europe for expert coaching from the age of 15, and being taught the finer points of the game by the best in the business, that guy is just sticking around in australia and going through the Glory/Mariners/whoever system and never get that level of coaching.

Without being an expert, it's clear which guys in the Socceroo's team have managed to get that level of coaching and it's the guys you cite. The difference in quality is night and day. I dont doubt we have players talented enough to make us a good team, but we need to get them into situations where they get the best coaching and development and that's not in australia

It's absolutely no a coincidence and it's going to be an issue. The A-League or FFA, whoever, need to address this. They need to identify the super talented kids and make sure they find their way to the best youth set ups in Europe and not just trying to develop that talent ourselves, otherwise short of talent on the level of Pulisic or a young Neymar or something, where it's impossible to screw it up, we just aren't going to get another Cahill
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

Your 2nd paragraph is bang on, the good Managers do play to suit the squad and not the other way around. That is the criticism of Ange that he can't take, he believes he is some footballing pioneer changing the style and direction of the sport in the entire country, when that isn't his job, that is the job of the Technical Director and the FFA's curriculum. During the game Ange doesn't coach what is happening in front of him which is his biggest downfall. Because of the way that the sport has different formations and styles, it is critical that the coaches at International level react to what is happening in front of them. Ange has been really poor and inflexible in this regard and I honestly believe we'd be better off if he left now and we got someone in with better balance because we're in for a disaster of a WC (still might be regardless).

The FFA isn't very good at identifying the young talent and we're now in the precarious position that we're not even qualifying for the junior World Cups when we used to be competitive. The most solid example of this is Tom Rogic. He was playing ACT Premier League for ANU when he went on a reality TV show on Foxtel and did well so the Mariners gave him a chance. Had that show not come along, he could still be running around Kambah Oval turning old pricks like me and sitting in a dilapidated toilet block come change room instead of Celtic Park! Just crazy.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Wow. That’s as damning as it can get on the FFA. You have to wonder how many other Rogic’s are out there
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I was reading an opinion piece that was basically saying the issue with the A League and other Asian leagues is having that having an internationalmarquee player allowance is killing the development of strikers.

They made the point that in all the Asian leagues (including A League) only 2 leagues have top goal scorers from the same nationality. When you get money to splash on an international marquee, 99% of clubs go for attackers, and ignoring the development of local talent.

I think there’s some truth to that. Explains why we’re lacking in the striker department

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Man city and Bayern Munich running away with their league's, Real Madrid smashing Juventus in champions league. Barcelona will probably win Spanish League pretty easy.

**** all of those clubs though, as a Raiders fan I find success offensive.

P.s. Go Bolton!
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Schifty wrote:Man city and Bayern Munich running away with their league's, Real Madrid smashing Juventus in champions league. Barcelona will probably win Spanish League pretty easy.

**** all of those clubs though, as a Raiders fan I find success offensive.

P.s. Go Bolton!
City won't progress any further in the champions league

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

I’m heading back to England for a wedding in a couple of weeks as the misses is a matron of honour.

The only Fulham home game is on the afternoon that o get there so I will be getting straight off the plane and heading straight to Putney to visit all my old favourite bars before the walk to Craven Cottage!

Spending a fortune to go to a wedding and all I am planning is how I pull this off!
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

RTW wrote: April 4, 2018, 6:52 pm I’m heading back to England for a wedding in a couple of weeks as the misses is a matron of honour.

The only Fulham home game is on the afternoon that o get there so I will be getting straight off the plane and heading straight to Putney to visit all my old favourite bars before the walk to Craven Cottage!

Spending a fortune to go to a wedding and all I am planning is how I pull this off!
Mitrovic is literally on fire for Fulham :o
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

Schifty wrote:
RTW wrote: April 4, 2018, 6:52 pm I’m heading back to England for a wedding in a couple of weeks as the misses is a matron of honour.

Yeah they are playing good football. Unfortunately dropped to many points early on in the season so I can’t see them getting automatic qualification but attempting to earn promotion through the play offs will be fun for the fans!
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

RTW wrote: April 4, 2018, 8:05 pm
Schifty wrote:

Yeah they are playing good football. Unfortunately dropped to many points early on in the season so I can’t see them getting automatic qualification but attempting to earn promotion through the play offs will be fun for the fans!
Margin now down to 2 points.

Cardiff game in hand but next opponents are Villa.

Mitrovic 9 goals in 9..
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

Schifty wrote:
RTW wrote: April 4, 2018, 8:05 pm
Schifty wrote:

Margin now down to 2 points.

Cardiff game in hand but next opponents are Villa.

Mitrovic 9 goals in 9..

Yeah, it is getting interesting. Last night I logged onto my old ticketing account to buy tickets for the Sunderland match and realised the game is being played on the Friday night. I arrive 7:00am Saturday morning!
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

I think I found the club that has put in an offer for Papalii.
:hmmm

EFL tells Accrington owner he must buy his players burgers even if they lose

The Accrington owner Andy Holt has been told by the English Football League that he can continue to treat his players to post-match McDonald’s meals but only if he does so when they lose as well. Holt revealed his unusual incentive scheme via Twitter last month, prompting the league to check if the League Two club had declared it in their “bonus schedule” at the start of the season, as required under regulation 61.6.

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... rs-if-lose
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Roma may have just knocked out Barcelona but surely the massive news has to be that Millwall are currently occupying one of the promotion play off spots..

Millwall in Premier League is an English FA nightmare :lol:
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

Schifty wrote:Roma may have just knocked out Barcelona but surely the massive news has to be that Millwall are currently occupying one of the promotion play off spots..

Millwall in Premier League is an English FA nightmare :lol:

And that Villa beat Cardiff! Fulham in second by 1 but Cardiff have a game in hand!

I just figured out to soften the blow of not getting to see Fulham whilst I am England that Toronto Wolfpack have a game in London whilst I am their!
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Fulham have a superior goal difference so Cardiff now have to win as well..

Meanwhe Bolton lost again... But it seems the sides below are even worse so might be able to avoid relegation.

Championship has always been more interesting than PL, Sunderland look fairly doomed.. They might end up with the biggest stadium in League 1 history?
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

@Schifty check out Mitro’s finish against Sheffield. Absolutely brilliant first touch.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

RTW wrote: April 13, 2018, 2:07 pm @Schifty check out Mitro’s finish against Sheffield. Absolutely brilliant first touch.
Actually didn't see that before :o

I came in here to post about what a mess Sunderland is, back to back relegation and Jack Rodwell will be there next season earning 44,000 pounds a week AFTER his paycut.

Apparently in his last 50 matches he has only had one win...
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

I thought the RIley McGree scored the most insane goal you'll ever see..

Then Terry Antonis stepped up..

Melbourne Victory score 4 goals but match still goes to extra time.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Bolton have the possibility to secure safety from relegation with a win over Burton Albion tonight..

Meanwhile Mitrovic scored again for Fulham and pressure is now back of Cardiff to get a win or Fulham will be in the automatic promotion spot going into the final round.

Millwall and Middlesborough also meet tonight which will have a big impact on the play off spots.

Championship is way more exciting than premier league.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Sunderland been sold with all debt paid off days after being relegated? :| (Believe it was 110 MIllion?)

Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Dibbers »

optus have the EPL rights for another 3 years AND exclusive 2018 world cup rights...

glad i have optus sports

https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 4zclv.html
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Absolute **** scenes in the Championship.

Bolton needing a win and hope neither Burton or Barnsley win find themselves 2-1 down with 5 to go.

Barnsley getting beaten and Preston down to 10 men against Burton Albion.

Preston score and then this happens..

Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Bolton's season..

First 11 games - 2 points.
Next 27 games - 37 points
Next 6 games - 1 point.

Last game - 88th minute winner to avoid relegation..