The Motorsport Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
Sossman
David Furner
Posts: 3620
Joined: August 28, 2006, 4:49 pm
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by Sossman » April 18, 2018, 4:25 pm

Rick wrote:
Sossman wrote:
Rick wrote:There will always be a seat for him in a Mustang at DJRTP Image


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Would rather see Webber make a Bathurst cameo with DJRTP or RBHRT
Haven’t seen something like that since Casey Stoner had a dig, skills didn’t quite transfer.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I reckon Webber would swap better. Jenson Button would be a good candidate for Bathurst co-drive too bow hes in Japanese touring cars...
4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

User avatar
Rick
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6142
Joined: August 11, 2008, 3:56 pm
Favourite Player: Daley
Location: Darwin

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by Rick » April 18, 2018, 4:27 pm

The wildcard entries really open the door for things like this, I’m surprised it’s not happened yet. Would be great marketing and would add an extra element to the weekend.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

User avatar
Sossman
David Furner
Posts: 3620
Joined: August 28, 2006, 4:49 pm
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by Sossman » April 18, 2018, 4:58 pm

Rick wrote:The wildcard entries really open the door for things like this, I’m surprised it’s not happened yet. Would be great marketing and would add an extra element to the weekend.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I'll get on the blower to Roland.

4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Fuifui Bradbrad
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5756
Joined: May 3, 2008, 10:23 pm
Favourite Player: Denan Kemp
Location: Penrith, Sydney, NSW, Australia

The Motorsport Thread

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad » April 18, 2018, 5:09 pm

I would love to see Montoya and Castro Neves in a DJRTP Wildcard entry square off against an Alonso and Andretti WAU Wildcard entry
Last edited by Fuifui Bradbrad on April 18, 2018, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

User avatar
Sossman
David Furner
Posts: 3620
Joined: August 28, 2006, 4:49 pm
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by Sossman » April 18, 2018, 5:10 pm

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:I would love to see Montoya and Castro Neves in a DJRTP Wildcard entry


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
That was be unreal.

Montoya can drive anything. He'd get the hang of Supercars quick. Castro-Neves is a gun but open-wheel specialist. Might struggle to adapt like Bourdais did.
4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Fuifui Bradbrad
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5756
Joined: May 3, 2008, 10:23 pm
Favourite Player: Denan Kemp
Location: Penrith, Sydney, NSW, Australia

The Motorsport Thread

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad » April 18, 2018, 5:16 pm

Sossman wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:I would love to see Montoya and Castro Neves in a DJRTP Wildcard entry


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
That was be unreal.

Montoya can drive anything. He'd get the hang of Supercars quick. Castro-Neves is a gun but open-wheel specialist. Might struggle to adapt like Bourdais did.
Montoya is one of my all time favourite drivers. I was a Target/Chip Ganassi fan during the CART era. Started watching when Zanardi made “That” pass at Laguna Seca. When Montoya replaced him, I just followed his career.

You’re 100% spot on. He would drive the wheels off it, without fear. Reminds me of his Indy 500 debut, he made a comment along the lines of “Its not that hard, it’s just 4 corners.” Drivers then started to warn him not to underestimate the brickyard. He won it on debut.

Good point about Castro Neves. Franchitti would be epic, if he didn’t do his neck in.

Will Power is in the Penske stable, he’d be another awesome alternative
Last edited by Fuifui Bradbrad on April 18, 2018, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Fuifui Bradbrad
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5756
Joined: May 3, 2008, 10:23 pm
Favourite Player: Denan Kemp
Location: Penrith, Sydney, NSW, Australia

The Motorsport Thread

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad » April 18, 2018, 5:18 pm

** Edit ** Double post
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

User avatar
Sossman
David Furner
Posts: 3620
Joined: August 28, 2006, 4:49 pm
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by Sossman » April 18, 2018, 5:20 pm

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Sossman wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:I would love to see Montoya and Castro Neves in a DJRTP Wildcard entry


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
That was be unreal.

Montoya can drive anything. He'd get the hang of Supercars quick. Castro-Neves is a gun but open-wheel specialist. Might struggle to adapt like Bourdais did.
Montoya is one of my all time favourite drivers. I was a Target/Chip Ganassi fan during the CART era. Started watching when Zanardi made “That” pass at Laguna Seca. When Montoya replaced him, I just followed his career.

You’re 100% spot on. He would drive the wheels off it, without fear. Reminds me of his Indy 500 debut, he made a comment along the lines of “Its not that hard, it’s just 4 corners.” Drivers then started to warn him not to underestimate the brickyard. He won it on debut
Had he taken the training and technical set up work more seriously Montoya would have been F1 world champ.

He's lazy as all ****. Career built on pure talent.

I wonder if Will Power will end up back in Aus doing Supercars one day?
4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Fuifui Bradbrad
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5756
Joined: May 3, 2008, 10:23 pm
Favourite Player: Denan Kemp
Location: Penrith, Sydney, NSW, Australia

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad » April 18, 2018, 5:27 pm

He would easily have been champion. He was one of the only drivers not to get intimidated by M. Schumi.

It’d be interesting to see if he’d come back. I remember reading Ricciardo’s stint with Hispania/Marussia/whichever team he debuted with, was his last roll of the dice when it came to F1. He had a V8 Supercar deal lined up, and had he not got into Toro Rosso when he did, he was coming back to Oz.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

User avatar
Sossman
David Furner
Posts: 3620
Joined: August 28, 2006, 4:49 pm
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by Sossman » April 18, 2018, 5:32 pm

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:He would easily have been champion. He was one of the only drivers not to get intimidated by M. Schumi.

It’d be interesting to see if he’d come back. I remember reading Ricciardo’s stint with Hispania/Marussia/whichever team he debuted with, was his last roll of the dice when it came to F1. He had a V8 Supercar deal lined up, and had he not got into Toro Rosso when he did, he was coming back to Oz.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Holy ****! I didn't realise he was so close to missing out on F1 completely.

V8s is full of guys who ran out of money, luck and patronage in Europe. Courtney and Pye being notable returnees.
4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Fuifui Bradbrad
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5756
Joined: May 3, 2008, 10:23 pm
Favourite Player: Denan Kemp
Location: Penrith, Sydney, NSW, Australia

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad » April 18, 2018, 6:18 pm

Yeah, apparently if he didn’t get the TR drive, that was it for him.

Add Blanchard to the list too


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 22542
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by Northern Raider » April 19, 2018, 8:49 am

Been an age old problem for Aussies trying to make it in motorsport. Simply don't have the funds to back them all the way through the grades. To be fair there is no real benefit for Australian corporations to back them either.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 30061
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by -TW- » April 19, 2018, 9:15 am

Probably fits best here

Darryl Eastlake died aged 75

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 22542
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by Northern Raider » April 19, 2018, 10:21 am

Pearce off, Jack. Gibbs on.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 30061
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by -TW- » April 19, 2018, 1:44 pm

Don't tell me to pearce off you **** knuckle

User avatar
Sossman
David Furner
Posts: 3620
Joined: August 28, 2006, 4:49 pm
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by Sossman » April 19, 2018, 1:47 pm

Motorsport thread: intermittent obituaries of motor sport identities who have died.

Jesus.
4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

User avatar
Rick
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6142
Joined: August 11, 2008, 3:56 pm
Favourite Player: Daley
Location: Darwin

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by Rick » April 19, 2018, 6:16 pm

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Yeah, apparently if he didn’t get the TR drive, that was it for him.

Add Blanchard to the list too


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Did not know that about Blanchard and would never have guessed. From his performances in recent years I assumed he was paying for his seat as he does seem to be on a different leave not only to his team mates but to the rest of the field.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

raiderskater
David Furner
Posts: 3084
Joined: July 26, 2015, 8:24 pm
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer
Location: The Land of Lime Green

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by raiderskater » April 19, 2018, 6:48 pm

Northern Raider wrote:
April 19, 2018, 8:49 am
Been an age old problem for Aussies trying to make it in motorsport. Simply don't have the funds to back them all the way through the grades. To be fair there is no real benefit for Australian corporations to back them either.
A bit of ignorance probably doesn't help. One of the most telling quotes came from when Ann Neal was going around trying to get sponsorship for Mark Webber back in the mid-90s, her pitch line was "How would you like to sponsor Australia's next Formula One driver?" And most of them assumed she was linked with Craig Lowndes, as a result.

Whatever else happens, I want Dan out that Red Bull door faster than he took the lead of the Chinese GP. Because the older, more experienced, likeable Aussie against the young, bratty, well-connected Marko protege? Yeah, we have absolutely seen that film before, and I don't want to be sitting through a sequel. Because it doesn't look like Horner and co have learned a damned thing.

PS: Craig Lowndes is the best V8SC driver. :hi
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)

Fuifui Bradbrad
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5756
Joined: May 3, 2008, 10:23 pm
Favourite Player: Denan Kemp
Location: Penrith, Sydney, NSW, Australia

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad » April 19, 2018, 7:17 pm

Lowndes will always be the people’s champ no doubt. Also has Montoya connection, being teammates in F3000.

Amazing to see how their careers branch out from that point


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 30061
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by -TW- » April 19, 2018, 8:46 pm

Lowndesy is by far the most popular driver

So much people have forgotten the Nat saga

User avatar
Sossman
David Furner
Posts: 3620
Joined: August 28, 2006, 4:49 pm
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by Sossman » April 19, 2018, 8:50 pm

-TW- wrote:Lowndesy is by far the most popular driver

So much people have forgotten the Nat saga
The what?

I've always liked Lowndesy but he's never been my #1 driver.

Obviously a Brock fan, then was a Skaife fan, then years off watching it....

Back into V8s for about 4 years now and SVG all the way.
4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 30061
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by -TW- » April 19, 2018, 9:18 pm

When he split up with Natalie and shacked up with his new wife Lara

Fuifui Bradbrad
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5756
Joined: May 3, 2008, 10:23 pm
Favourite Player: Denan Kemp
Location: Penrith, Sydney, NSW, Australia

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad » April 20, 2018, 9:16 am

Sossman wrote:
-TW- wrote:Lowndesy is by far the most popular driver

So much people have forgotten the Nat saga
The what?

I've always liked Lowndesy but he's never been my #1 driver.

Obviously a Brock fan, then was a Skaife fan, then years off watching it....

Back into V8s for about 4 years now and SVG all the way.
Same, I love the aggression in SVG’s driving. Also like McLaughlin. Favourite team has always been GRM since the Tander/Bargwanna years.

Fun Fact: I snuck into the pits when I was 18 when the development series used to race at Goulburn. Wearing my GRM shirt, I just wanted to see how far I could get. Got right up to their pits, then decided to grab a Chamois and start cleaning one of the cars.

About 2 mins into it, Gary Rogers saw me, let out a “Who the F are you?” I just stood there, stammering with the chamois in hand. When he realised I was just cleaning the car he started laughing, got Tander and Bargs to sign my shirt, and said I better get out of there before I got into trouble.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

User avatar
Sid
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6929
Joined: May 15, 2015, 8:47 pm
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd
Location: Darwin, N.T.

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by Sid » April 20, 2018, 9:30 am

**** Fui :roflmao that's gold
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

User avatar
Sossman
David Furner
Posts: 3620
Joined: August 28, 2006, 4:49 pm
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by Sossman » April 20, 2018, 9:44 am

LOL Fui that's mad.

Too good.
4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

User avatar
bonehead
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13153
Joined: March 1, 2005, 5:29 am
Location: Smelling The Shiraz

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by bonehead » April 20, 2018, 2:03 pm

I'm with Fui, GRM fan but also BJR. Obviously ad raiders fan I love the battlers.
3 favourite drivers were Scotty Mac, SVG and Fabio Coultard but all 3 now in big teams so they can go to hell.
Never been high on Lowndes, stoked to have Tander back at GRM and a bit of a Percat fan this year.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer

User avatar
Sossman
David Furner
Posts: 3620
Joined: August 28, 2006, 4:49 pm
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by Sossman » April 20, 2018, 2:13 pm

bonehead wrote:I'm with Fui, GRM fan but also BJR. Obviously ad raiders fan I love the battlers.
3 favourite drivers were Scotty Mac, SVG and Fabio Coultard but all 3 now in big teams so they can go to hell.
Never been high on Lowndes, stoked to have Tander back at GRM and a bit of a Percat fan this year.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Big fan of Percat. Would love to see him at RBHRT when Whincup 'retires' to race GT3 in Europe.
4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

User avatar
bonehead
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13153
Joined: March 1, 2005, 5:29 am
Location: Smelling The Shiraz

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by bonehead » April 20, 2018, 2:16 pm

um, no

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer

User avatar
Sossman
David Furner
Posts: 3620
Joined: August 28, 2006, 4:49 pm
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by Sossman » April 20, 2018, 2:20 pm

bonehead wrote:um, no

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
You don't want to see him as a title contender?
4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

User avatar
bonehead
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13153
Joined: March 1, 2005, 5:29 am
Location: Smelling The Shiraz

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by bonehead » April 20, 2018, 2:24 pm

Sossman wrote:
bonehead wrote:um, no

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
You don't want to see him as a title contender?
I want to see rbhrt and djrp put some development into their own setup instead of just pilfering

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer

User avatar
Sossman
David Furner
Posts: 3620
Joined: August 28, 2006, 4:49 pm
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by Sossman » April 20, 2018, 2:28 pm

bonehead wrote:
Sossman wrote:
bonehead wrote:um, no

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
You don't want to see him as a title contender?
I want to see rbhrt and djrp put some development into their own setup instead of just pilfering

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Maybe BJR would benefit on reigning its junior category participation to focus more on the main game. Maybe they're stretched too think.

Tekno has basically basically become the RBHRT 'Haas' junior team to evaluate junior drivers.

Nothing wrong is poaching drivers. Motorsport outside of the RB and Porsche junior programs in europe don't really have feeder systems within a team.
4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

User avatar
bonehead
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13153
Joined: March 1, 2005, 5:29 am
Location: Smelling The Shiraz

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by bonehead » April 20, 2018, 2:36 pm

I like what prodrive does as well as GRM and BJR, pathway racing is the aussie way.
It will be interesting to see how Walkinshaw trend and how they effect the landscape of RBHRT vs DJRP

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer

User avatar
Sossman
David Furner
Posts: 3620
Joined: August 28, 2006, 4:49 pm
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by Sossman » April 20, 2018, 2:38 pm

bonehead wrote:I like what prodrive does as well as GRM and BJR, pathway racing is the aussie way.
It will be interesting to see how Walkinshaw trend and how they effect the landscape of RBHRT vs DJRP

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Doesn't RBHRT unofficially back Dumbrell's team on Super2?
4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

User avatar
bonehead
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13153
Joined: March 1, 2005, 5:29 am
Location: Smelling The Shiraz

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by bonehead » April 20, 2018, 2:41 pm

egglestone is stand alone I believe but dumbrell is a part owner of 888

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer

User avatar
Sossman
David Furner
Posts: 3620
Joined: August 28, 2006, 4:49 pm
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by Sossman » April 20, 2018, 2:55 pm

bonehead wrote:egglestone is stand alone I believe but dumbrell is a part owner of 888

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
All the EMS cara are ex-Triple 8 chassis. I'm sure there is a tech sharing and support 'understanding' in place that keeps Dumbrell in a drive and match-fit for the Enduros.

To be fair... most holden based chassis getting around have some level of Triple 8 DNA.

Love or (most likely) hate Roland Dane... bloke knows how to motorsport.
4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Post Reply