The Motorsport Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: The Formula 1 / MotoGP / WRC Thread

Post by greeneyed »

Motor racing is a race between the best motors, it isn't a sport. Swimming, that is pure sport. Even golf, though I couldn't be bothered with it, is sport.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote:Motor racing is a race between the best motors, it isn't a sport. Swimming, that is pure sport. Even golf, though I couldn't be bothered with it, is sport.
The motor is a small aspect of Motor Racing. But there are other factors in Racing including the designers, mechanics, pit crew and the Driver. I believe that sport is anything that requires skill, stamina and strength and Motor Racing has all of that.
Using your arguement, you could say that modern day swimming is now a race between who has the best swimsuits, since they have become such a factor in the sport. Michael Phelps proved that no matter how good a swimmer you are, you can't beat someone in a suit unless you have one as well.

As I said, walking around hitting a stationary ball is, in my opinion, a pastime. Hell, in Golf you don't even need to walk around.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Swimming has banned those suits, as it was obvious it was an unsporting advantage to swim in them. It was an example of the equipment taking out the sport.

Rugby league. It is players and a ball and a field. That's it. Pure sport.

Motor racing, it depends on the machines, the pit crew, the tyres etc etc etc. That's why it isn't sport. Whoever has the best machines win. It may be a competition, but it cannot be considered "sport".
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

^
Agreed.

Obviously it takes some degree of skill and stamina to drive a F1 car, however, the team spending the most cash on development/engineers etc will finish close to top. Even the drivers (athletes) need financial support/sponsors and luck to score a ride with a half decent team. Takes skill to drive, though this is not what really determines who the champion will be. Not a true “sporting” event.
beetlejuice
David Furner
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by beetlejuice »

greeneyed wrote:Swimming has banned those suits, as it was obvious it was an unsporting advantage to swim in them. It was an example of the equipment taking out the sport.

Rugby league. It is players and a ball and a field. That's it. Pure sport.

Motor racing, it depends on the machines, the pit crew, the tyres etc etc etc. That's why it isn't sport. Whoever has the best machines win. It may be a competition, but it cannot be considered "sport".
Your full of BS there, i can give you a list of drivers who won on Talent alone without having the best car.
Love the Raiders, Hate The NRL.
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

In 1967 the Lotus 49 was considered the greatest car ever designed and built, yet the title went to Denny Hulme in the Brabham.

1976, the Ferrari was the top car. Yet the title went to James Hunt in the Mclaren

1981, Williams. But the title went to Brabham.

1982, Ferrari, yet the title went to Keke Rosberg in the most competitive season ever seen in F1.

1983, Renault. But the title went to Nelson Piquet in the Brabham.

1986, Williams. Title went to Alain Prost in the Mclaren.

1994, Williams with their Newey V10 Renault was the better car, yet Schumacher won in the Benetton V8 ford.

1999 Ferrari was the best in the field, But Mclarens Mika hakkinen won his second title.

2007 Mclaren was far quicker then the Ferrari, yet Kimi Raikkonen won.

Then there are the seasons where the driver that almost won the title was in a weaker car.

1985, 1990, 1993, 1997, 1998.

a good car can get you a shot at the title, but only a driver with talent can do something with it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

So Webber was wrong to complain about not having the best car this year? ;)
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Formula 1 / MotoGP / WRC Thread

You're right Beetlejuice, not always the best cars win championships. And while some drivers pay their way to get into F1, you will notice they rarely succeed or last long in the sport.

Ok so if it's down to the best motor, tires etc, what about series such as NASCAR, A1, Formula Renault and to an extent V8's where all cars are designed to run equal? The only thing separating 1 team from another is their drivers? There's a class in Australia called the "Aussie Racing Series" where they have 1 pit crew working on all 30 cars then they lease them to the teams.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:You're right Beetlejuice, not always the best cars win championships. And while some drivers pay their way to get into F1, you will notice they rarely succeed or last long in the sport.
And i didnt even get to the untalented drivers driving the best cars and doing nothing with them! :lol:

clearly money talks in F1. if your not a wonder kid, you'll need it to get there. but it's what you do there once you have arrived. Webber and Alonso started in a Minardi and took it off the back of the grid for some races. Villeneuve and Hamilton while they did start in the best car's, justified it by almost winning the title in their first seasons, before winning it in the next.

talent takes you all the way in this sport, not the cars.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article. ... 2667&FS=F1

Looks like we may see Senna in a Renault powered Lotus again :cmon

Nickman's love of NSW
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:http://www.motorsport.com/news/article. ... 2667&FS=F1

Looks like we may see Senna in a Renault powered Lotus again :cmon
Now thats a old school connection!!! All that will be missing will be the Johnny Player Special sponsorship!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

beetlejuice wrote:Now thats a old school connection!!! All that will be missing will be the Johnny Player Special sponsorship!
They can't get the sponsorship, but they're going to be using the Black and Gold livery again

Black and gold will return for Lotus
Thursday 11th November 2010

Black and gold will return for Lotus

Lotus Racing is to return to its iconic black and gold livery for the 2011 season.

The team employed the colours predominantly from 1972 through to 1986 when they were sponsored by cigarette manufacturer JPS.

For Lotus, currently running in their renowned green and yellow for their debut season which comes to a conclusion this weekend in Abu Dhabi, the move represents another return to their heritage.

However, it has been decided any new scheme will be designed by a fan, with the winner to join Lotus at their maiden test next year when the car will run for the first time.

Lotus Racing chief executive Riad Asmat said: "When we first unveiled our 2010 car there was unanimous praise for our decision to bring the historic green and yellow livery back to the grid.

"I know the return to the track of the legendary black and gold will be met with even more universal support as it strikes such an emotional chord with fans around the world.

"Giving those fans the chance to help us bring it back to the contemporary grid is true to our core belief of putting our supporters right at the heart of Lotus Racing

How good is this. Going back to the Black and Gold, powered by Renault and possibly driven by a Senna. Lotus is officially my new favourite team!

Nickman's love of NSW
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

God bless Lotus!!! ill miss the green and yellow, but am really looking forward to the black and gold.

having Senna driving for them will be good PR spin.

so FuiFui Bradbrad, who's your pick for the title (and race) on sunday???
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Looks like Webber is going to struggle to win the Championship, he qualified 5th with Alonso 3rd and Vettel has pole position. I wonder if Red Bull bosses will give orders now that the golden boy is up front :hmmm
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

Vettel is going to romp off into the distance for the race. the team wont have orders to issue to webber apart from "overtake Alonso".

all webber needs to do is overtake the Mclarens and Alonso at the start of the race. He can do it, he will also be far enough back that if there is contact between Vettel/Hamilton/Alonso he could avoid it.

going to be one hell of a race! best title fight in years!
Millsy
Gary Belcher

Post by Millsy »

Fairly dud race so far, pity Alonzo didn't crash with that mistake, would of made this interesting, Webber has no chance of winning, he's done a great job this year, but i think it might of been his only chance at winning the World Title, if Seb doesn't make stupid mistakes next year, he will **** it in.
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

fuifui the lotus will look something like this with a senna in it.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Sorry, been offline over the weekend.
What a Championship. Shame Webber didn't get the gong. I would've even preferred Alonso over Vettel. I don't think he's ready just yet.

Can't wait to see the Lotus next season. I expect them to move to the Midfield next season. The Black and Gold livery will look awesome and I'm praying they decide to replace the Trulli Train with Senna. I'm interested to see how he goes in a faster car.

Bring on 2011

Nickman's love of NSW
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

:lol: @ Webber
shame he didnt complete his attempt with a DNF, that would have been a fitting end to a championship tilt
freddo
John Ferguson

Post by freddo »

ah well theres always next year for webber. but next year is the year of the "schu"
Truth Beauty and The Freddo Way
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders congratulate Mark Webber

The Canberra Raiders would like to take the opportunity to congratulate Mark Webber on securing third in the F1 World Championship.

Webber went into the final race of the season at Abu Dhabi with a chance to secure the title with a win, however some troubles during the race saw him finish in eighth place.

Webber's Red Bull team mate Sebastian Vettel won the Grand Prix and secured the title of World Champion.

Vettel ended up with 256 points to take the title ahead of Fernando Alonso on 252, Webber on 242, and Lewis Hamilton on 240.

The Raiders are proud to be associated with Mark and wish him all the best and once again congratulate him on a fine effort for the season.

www.raiders.com.au
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

freddo wrote:ah well theres always next year for webber. but next year is the year of the "schu"
we are no longer friends freddo :nooo
Priory
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Priory »

I wonder how many races it will take next year till Red Bull change their mantra on letting their drivers race? Unfortunately Webber will be no.2 driver for sure, while I love F1, the last race show cased everything that is wrong with F1, you **** can't overtake :thumbsdown
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

Priory wrote:I wonder how many races it will take next year till Red Bull change their mantra on letting their drivers race? Unfortunately Webber will be no.2 driver for sure, while I love F1, the last race show cased everything that is wrong with F1, you **** can't overtake :thumbsdown
I Disagree with that, overtaking in F1 this season has been pretty good. But that last race was joke!!! the track design doesnt allow for much overtaking. sad thing is it's such a "spectacular event" that they wont leave the track for many many years.

money has always talked in F1, but its gone to far with these "new tracks"
freddo
John Ferguson

Post by freddo »

beetlejuice wrote:
freddo wrote:ah well theres always next year for webber. but next year is the year of the "schu"
we are no longer friends freddo :nooo

aww come on wheres the love.

lol

im still gonna stand by the year of the schu. personally i think Bruno Senna is the man to watch but he just needs better team support, in fact maybe a better team to start
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

freddo wrote:Personally i think Bruno Senna is the man to watch but he just needs better team support, in fact maybe a better team to start
I agree, I think he did good considering the car he was given. If the rumours of him going ot Lotus are true, I expect him to give the Midfielders Sally up the Orchid next season.

Just read that Toyota have pulled out of their deal with HRT next season. Toyota were going to give HRT the designs for their last car, as well as use of their Cologne testing facility and use of staff, but HRT have fallen behind in payments. They have also made a deal with Williams to use their Gearbox assembly next season. I expect them to be the next team to be bought out tbh.

So with Lotus confirming an Engine deal with Renault and a Gearbox and suspension deal with Red Bull, and HRT negotiating with Williams, makes Virgin seem pretty quiet about what they're doing next season...

Nickman's love of NSW
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
freddo wrote:Personally i think Bruno Senna is the man to watch but he just needs better team support, in fact maybe a better team to start
I agree, I think he did good considering the car he was given. If the rumours of him going ot Lotus are true, I expect him to give the Midfielders Sally up the Orchid next season.

Just read that Toyota have pulled out of their deal with HRT next season. Toyota were going to give HRT the designs for their last car, as well as use of their Cologne testing facility and use of staff, but HRT have fallen behind in payments. They have also made a deal with Williams to use their Gearbox assembly next season. I expect them to be the next team to be bought out tbh.

So with Lotus confirming an Engine deal with Renault and a Gearbox and suspension deal with Red Bull, and HRT negotiating with Williams, makes Virgin seem pretty quiet about what they're doing next season...
Yeah, Virgins been quite quiet over their 2011 season. could keep them at the back of the pack for a few more seasons.

Freddo, "the schu" is nothing more then a cheating German Bastard! I hate him so so very much! It was ironic though that through his spin on sunday night, i was able to win my F1 tipping comp!!!! :thumbsup
freddo
John Ferguson

Post by freddo »

the cheating german bastard or when he was at ferrari "The Real Red Barron"
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

Only cause Rubans was his bitch, if Mika Hakkinen or JPM had been driving for ferrari, he would have been bitch slapped up and down the track.
Priory
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Priory »

Good to see young Daniel Ricciardo top the young drivers test in a Red Bull, would love to see him take over from Webber when he retires, could even get a drive with Torro Rosso next year :thumbsup
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Priory wrote:Good to see young Daniel Ricciardo top the young drivers test in a Red Bull, would love to see him take over from Webber when he retires, could even get a drive with Torro Rosso next year :thumbsup
Yeah they were saying his time would have been good for Pole at Abu Dhabi.

Nickman's love of NSW
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Priory wrote:Good to see young Daniel Ricciardo top the young drivers test in a Red Bull, would love to see him take over from Webber when he retires, could even get a drive with Torro Rosso next year :thumbsup
Yeah they were saying his time would have been good for Pole at Abu Dhabi.
If thats the case, Red Bull need to keep an eye on him , cause another team will snap him up! It will be good to see 2 aussies racing around in the championship!!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Daniel Ricciardo outpaces Mark Webber in testing

Daniel Ricciardo in action during testing at the Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi.

YOUNG Australian Daniel Ricciardo declared he's ready for grand prix racing after topping the first day of Formula One testing in a blistering performance.

Ricciardo was more than a second quicker than any of the other 13 potential F1 drivers on the Abu Dhabi track where the world championship was decided two days earlier.

His fastest lap time of 1min 39.616sec would have put him third on the grid - ahead of countryman Mark Webber - for last Sunday's grand prix.

The 21-year-old was driving a Red Bull RB6 car like that in which Sebastian Vettel clinched the world title and Webber claimed third place in the championship.

Ricciardo is already Red Bull's reserve driver but it was only his fourth proper day in a Formula One car and came almost a year after he topped a three-day test for potential GP drivers at Jerez in Spain.

"Realistically, I knew I could do a decent job but I really wasn't sure how close I could get to the big boys' times, so it was quite cool," Ricciardo said.

The Australian's program for 2011 is yet to be finalised but Red Bull have an embarrassment of driver riches with Vettel and Webber contracted again for next year.

Nickman's love of NSW
freddo
John Ferguson

Post by freddo »

top stuff by the young lad. nathan tinkler seems to like wasting money how bout he buy his own Formula 1 Team and call it team australia and have both daniel and mark as drivers
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

freddo wrote:top stuff by the young lad. nathan tinkler seems to like wasting money how bout he buy his own Formula 1 Team and call it team australia and have both daniel and mark as drivers
id be in favour in bringing back Paul stoddard!