Moderator: GH Moderators

Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Re: Horse Racing

Post by Nick »

Nerkbrudda wrote:
RobbyM wrote:ohhh yeaaa

Had $20 on Viewed by complete accident!! My mate sent me the tip for 11 and I thought it was 10.
Dumb mistake made me $800!! :D
Ive never even come close to picking a melbourne cup.
How the hell do you do it.
before last year's cup, i was on a 12 year cup streak
had picked the winner and had money on it for 12 years straight, used to get my old man to put my pocket money on for me, then when i started working, gave him my own cash... the last 2 years i've out layed $75 for a duck egg in return :cry: the dream and my streak are well and truely over :lol:
RobbyM
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by RobbyM »

Nerkbrudda wrote:
RobbyM wrote:ohhh yeaaa

Had $20 on Viewed by complete accident!! My mate sent me the tip for 11 and I thought it was 10.
Dumb mistake made me $800!! :D
Ive never even come close to picking a melbourne cup.
How the hell do you do it.
It's easy mate - dumb luck :)

Mind you, that's the first time I've ever won on the Cup. Got 2nd in the office sweep too!!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I don't bet on group races generally, too many good horses.

Looks like I may buy a Canberra horse for my next Syndicate
Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

*bump*

In the countdown to the Golden Slipper. Current market is:

More Joyous 4.60
Real Saga 6.00
Rostova (nn) 9.00
Melito 9.00
Manhattan Rain 11.00
Reward For Effort 15.00
Wanted 17.00
Sunday Rose 17.00
Delago Bolt 17.00
Tickets 17.00
Headway 26.00
The Mikado 31.00
Horizons 34.00
Our Joan Of Arc 34.00
Shadow Assassin 34.00
Phelan Ready 34.00
Pirouette 34.00
Purdey 34.00
Lovemelikearock 34.00
Country Club 41.00
Readyor 41.00
Essaouira 41.00

I think we have a false favourite in More Joyous. Won well at here only start but it was an average field in an average time. Melito has much better credentials and is twice the price. Put a line through the Blue Diamon horses as that race rarely stacks up for form. Certianly value on Phelan Ready at $34. Magic Millions has proven to be a nice prep for the slipper and he can come from off the pace which also helps. He got beaten by More Joyous in a barrier trial last week by half a length after racing 4 wide. It was a conditioning run for him so expect improvement.

A couple of important lead up races this week so the picture could become a bit clearer.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Lol does anyone actually think horse racing is a sport? Cant see how with all the fuss about pokies and gambling the government keeps pouring money into racing, is there any other sport/activity that relies entirely on gambling, without it horse racing would die
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

manbush wrote:Lol does anyone actually think horse racing is a sport? Cant see how with all the fuss about pokies and gambling the government keeps pouring money into racing, is there any other sport/activity that relies entirely on gambling, without it horse racing would die
Sport of Kings, bee-otch. :lol:

Been around far longer and has a much greater following than rugby league.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Northern Raider wrote:
manbush wrote:Lol does anyone actually think horse racing is a sport? Cant see how with all the fuss about pokies and gambling the government keeps pouring money into racing, is there any other sport/activity that relies entirely on gambling, without it horse racing would die
Sport of Kings, bee-otch. :lol:

Been around far longer and has a much greater following than rugby league.
Its not a sport its a way of life.

Nice tipping of Phelan Ready NR, I had a little piece of him myself :) was ridiculous value.

I have a few going around over the next week.

Gunnedah on Friday - Bolognaise in race 9.

Muswellbrook on Sunday - Cash Reserve, wide barrier dunno thought she would be right in with a chance.

Taree on Tuesday - Wild Borneo, Race 2 barrier 3 big chance

Also have been following Greg Bennett, 20% winners plus 36% placegetters last 100 runners. Not bad for a bloke who takes on anything and everything! Best known for pre-training and breaking in Makybe Diva he's a bit of a legend in NSW horse racing.

Greg has 2 in at Gunnedah

Runners for Greg Bennett Friday, 7 August 2009
GENERAL MAZERATTI Gunnedah Race 7 - No. 1 Patrick Ferris 5th
LADY NORTH Gunnedah Race 9 - No. 2 Patrick Ferris 4th
Edrick The Entertainer
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Grrhhhhhh :rant HSC exam either side of the Melbourne Cup - wont have time for an eeny meeny miny mo :P + will only get to go fishing with my horse breeder relative after the Cup :rant
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Money on Sister Madly in this avo's SCHWEPPES THOUSAND GUINEAS 1600m . Caulfield Race 6
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

yeh raiders wrote:Grrhhhhhh :rant HSC exam either side of the Melbourne Cup - wont have time for an eeny meeny miny mo :P + will only get to go fishing with my horse breeder relative after the Cup :rant
i have one the day after...

so im set :lol: :lol:
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Oh.... um if anyone put their money on Sister Madly.... i apologise
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Tim W wrote:
yeh raiders wrote:Grrhhhhhh :rant HSC exam either side of the Melbourne Cup - wont have time for an eeny meeny miny mo :P + will only get to go fishing with my horse breeder relative after the Cup :rant

lol Bloody HSC. U going to schoolies?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

yeh raiders wrote:
Tim W wrote:

hell no..

to broke for that crap :lol:
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Tim W wrote:
yeh raiders wrote:
Tim W wrote:

hell no..

to broke for that crap :lol:
It is rather expensive, but im willing to pay hahah
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote:Oh.... um if anyone put their money on Sister Madly.... i apologise
Didn't go much better on Miss With Attitude. Haven't seen the sectionals but they didn't appear to be going very hard. the sprint home suited Irish Lights perfectly. Most of the others just maintained their margins. That race will prove a poor form line for the Oaks. Better off waiting till after the Wakeful to work that one out.

Caulfield Cup this weekend. My tips are Daffodil and Cima de Triomphe and both dew well. Lirklees is a quality horse but can't work out why he has more weight than multiple G1 performers such as Fuimicino and Master O'Reilly. Red Ruler coudl run big race with blinkers being added. Awkward gat doesn't help him though. Baughurst is also good value at $41 if he gets a run. He's been racing very well in the top company and is now up to his best distance under handicap conditions. I'd expect him to go forward so the barrier isn't too much of a concern. Of course you'd prefer not to be drawn out in the parpark.

Got a fair bit riding on Daffodil after taking her in the double with Star Spnagledbanner last week. Also got her coupled with a few in the Melbourne Cup. Just need to get something on Efficient in that race. He looks a special right now.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

c'est la guerre was the horse that i got the parents to put some money on in the cup last year and it ran 3rd...

so i won like $15 which was good :D

barrier 3 for the caufield cup... id back it in $17 win, $5 for a place...

few $$ each way i say
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Northern Raider wrote:
yeh raiders wrote:Oh.... um if anyone put their money on Sister Madly.... i apologise
Didn't go much better on Miss With Attitude. Haven't seen the sectionals but they didn't appear to be going very hard. the sprint home suited Irish Lights perfectly. Most of the others just maintained their margins. That race will prove a poor form line for the Oaks. Better off waiting till after the Wakeful to work that one out.

Caulfield Cup this weekend. My tips are Daffodil and Cima de Triomphe and both dew well. Lirklees is a quality horse but can't work out why he has more weight than multiple G1 performers such as Fuimicino and Master O'Reilly. Red Ruler coudl run big race with blinkers being added. Awkward gat doesn't help him though. Baughurst is also good value at $41 if he gets a run. He's been racing very well in the top company and is now up to his best distance under handicap conditions. I'd expect him to go forward so the barrier isn't too much of a concern. Of course you'd prefer not to be drawn out in the parpark.

Got a fair bit riding on Daffodil after taking her in the double with Star Spnagledbanner last week. Also got her coupled with a few in the Melbourne Cup. Just need to get something on Efficient in that race. He looks a special right now.
*nods and agrees * ...... i know nothing about Horse Racing. Next year though i will start going to races at Rosehill and Randwick :D
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Tim W wrote:c'est la guerre was the horse that i got the parents to put some money on in the cup last year and it ran 3rd...

few $$ each way i say
You can do a lot worse than that. He's had two runs at 2400m or further and both at G1 level. Result is a win and a third. I'm just not sure he has the zip to win the caulfield cup but Melbourne Cup is a different story. Wouldn't be surprised if Lloyd Williams got he quinella in that.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

*nods and agrees * ...... i know nothing about Horse Racing. Next year though i will start going to races at Rosehill and Randwick :D
You'll get a better insight watching TVN or Sky Racing. Too many distractions at the track i.e. Boobies. :thumbsup
GreenGuy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by GreenGuy »

I'm heading to Caulfield tomorrow, hopefuly the weather holds up. I'm backing number 10 in the cup apparently.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Northern Raider wrote:
Tim W wrote:c'est la guerre was the horse that i got the parents to put some money on in the cup last year and it ran 3rd...

few $$ each way i say
You can do a lot worse than that. He's had two runs at 2400m or further and both at G1 level. Result is a win and a third. I'm just not sure he has the zip to win the caulfield cup but Melbourne Cup is a different story. Wouldn't be surprised if Lloyd Williams got he quinella in that.
ran 3rd last...

sorry if you punted on that :lol:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I had Daffodil going for a fair bit. Looked like a winner coming round the corner but didn't really finish off. Very disappointing. :cry:
Lurch
John Ferguson

Post by Lurch »

GreenGuy wrote:I'm heading to Caulfield tomorrow, hopefuly the weather holds up. I'm backing number 10 in the cup apparently.
I was there, and for a good period I was the green guy, or "kermit" the ladies called me. Wearing a lime green tie, I managed to convince the bloke in the green suit to lend me his jacket. The attention that came my way was awesome ;)

And for the record, I won nothing all day.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

My tips for tomorrow.

Melb R4 no4 all american e/w.
Cox plate I am hitting Vision and power e/w.

I hate Moonee valley no straight, it is the worst track on the Australian racing ciruit.

Adelaide Race? Blue Maggich ,I Cant remember what race or number.
This place is woke.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Sorry Q, they didn't like the barrier draw and scratched it last night, they had Chris Munce on board and thought they were a chance.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

No worries Macca.

Ok, so lets see.

Blue Maggich won and paid $5.00 for the win.

All american ran 3rd and you get your money back.

Now for the big one?????
This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

****, I hate the valley.

I WILL BE BACK.
This place is woke.
Stringer
John Ferguson

Post by Stringer »

Bart Cummings gets another one :doubt: So you think won the plate and Zipping who i had $ on ran third. What can i do to get a race right?
A big thanks to Fistinz for the signature
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Nerkster wrote:Bart Cummings gets another one :doubt: So you think won the plate and Zipping who i had $ on ran third. What can i do to get a race right?

Use more darts :)
This place is woke.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Zipping would have turned a profit for an each way bet. I had a saver on him but was disappointed with Whobegotyou's performance. Never really got in the race.

Had a decent go on Apache Cat which cheered me up. :)

Anyway its Derby day next with a whole swag of G1 and G2 races to keep us happy. Gotta wait and see the barrier draw but I like Monaco Consul in the Derby at this stage. Don't think much will happen on the day to affect the Melbourne Cup betting. Viewed and Efficient will still head the betting and are definitely the ones to beat.

Another to keep an eye on for the Cup is Warringah. He's currently at $41 but you may get even better on the tote on the day. His run in the Ebor was huge carrying top weight. He did all the work up front and kicked clear 2 furlongs out only to get swamped in the last 50m to finish 5th. That race has always been a good pointer for the Melbourne Cup and he drops from 61kg to 52.5kg. He's also a gelding who tend to handle the travel much better than the stallions. Catch is he needs a firm track as his performances on rain affected ground are pretty ordinary.

If the track is soft then have couple each way on Crime Scene too. He was travelling like a winner in the Geelong Cup but really ran about when under pressure in the straight. This suggests he was feeling the hard ground a bit. All his best runs in UK were right handed tracks with the sting out. Its a bit of a spec but if he gets a soft track in the Melbourne Cup he could give you a sight at 100-1 or better.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Northern Raider - i'm putting my hard earned $$$ on whateva horse you recon will win the cup :)
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Have a little lash at Miss Zahra at Muswellbrook on Monday before the cup to get some punting money together for the Cup day bonanza. She won well on debut at Broadmeadow and has improved since her 1st run up.

Also Supreme Eddie at Goulburn on Friday, very impressive debut win also.

I will also have 1 of mine saddled up at Broadmeadow Saturday after the cup. I will let youse know a little closer.

I also picked up 2 new fillies in the last week to sell off so looking forward to the selling. NR I ended taking both the Dubleo and the Freeze as the Dubleo's owner decided to retain half :D

Now have on my books:

2yo Dubawi colt with Guy Walter, half filled
2yo Dubleo filly with Rod Ollerton, half filled
3yo Freeze filly with Rod Ollerton, half filled
2 x 3yo fillies - See You Next Time and Medowie Angel with Barry Lawrence.

Also involved with
Darneasy, Blue Chiffon and 2yo Danasinga filly with Greg Bennett
Regal Smile with Kris Lees, 2yo Lonhro filly undecided on trainer probably Lees
2yo Shamardal filly undecided on trainer.
Cash Reserve with Steve Gleeson
Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote:Northern Raider - i'm putting my hard earned $$$ on whateva horse you recon will win the cup :)
I will put up my full Melbourne Cup preview on Monday. ;)
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BSB Raiderman wrote:Have a little lash at Miss Zahra at Muswellbrook on Monday before the cup to get some punting money together for the Cup day bonanza. She won well on debut at Broadmeadow and has improved since her 1st run up.

I will also have 1 of mine saddled up at Broadmeadow Saturday after the cup. I will let youse know a little closer.

I also picked up 2 new fillies in the last week to sell off so looking forward to the selling. NR I ended taking both the Dubleo and the Freeze as the Dubleo's owner decided to retain half :D

Now have on my books:

Also involved with
Got some inside info on those runners hey. Don't they say never to take a tip from an owner? They always think they can win :D

I checked out the Dubawi colt on the last e-mail newsletter. He's a real nice type and I think the stallion has huge potential. I was very interested in one at the Magic Millions earlier this year but he was withdrawn from the sale. Has this one broken in yet or are you waiting to fill the partnership? If anybody on here is interested in a race horse investment that one is certainly worth a look.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Northern Raider wrote:
BSB Raiderman wrote:Have a little lash at Miss Zahra at Muswellbrook on Monday before the cup to get some punting money together for the Cup day bonanza. She won well on debut at Broadmeadow and has improved since her 1st run up.

Now have on my books:

Also involved with
Got some inside info on those runners hey. Don't they say never to take a tip from an owner? They always think they can win :D

I checked out the Dubawi colt on the last e-mail newsletter. He's a real nice type and I think the stallion has huge potential. I was very interested in one at the Magic Millions earlier this year but he was withdrawn from the sale. Has this one broken in yet or are you waiting to fill the partnership? If anybody on here is interested in a race horse investment that one is certainly worth a look.
Thanks NR, he's a real cracker. At the breakers now, 2 months off then heading to Guy after xmas. Dubawi has something like 130 individual nth hemisphere winners already he's flying. We have paid solid coin for this colt and I'm basically banking my business on his success.

Zahra copped 60kg at Muswellbrook :(
Edrick The Entertainer