The Cricket Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
Azza
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5519
Joined: February 16, 2005, 10:12 am

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Azza » December 6, 2018, 3:59 pm

My bet is India will scramble their way to 300 which is an under par score on that pitch, and then australia get skittled for 130 odd. Has happened far too often recently.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 30661
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Matt » December 6, 2018, 7:15 pm

I cant stand the theory of letting the set batsman off strike to target the tail. Doesn't matter how you get 10 wickets, but dont leave 1 off the list on purpose. It suggests that you are out of ideas. We 'gifted' Pujara a 100, by giving him a cruisy 20-25 runs. Which in turn, added 40 odd to their total.

That said...

Having India 9/250 on day 1, having been sent into the field, is a massive advantage. This game is there for the taking. It just requires 2 days of good batting, and setting a 150+ run lead.

User avatar
-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Posts: 15861
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Joseph Tapine
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by -PJ- » December 7, 2018, 7:46 am

How about PCummins run out late yesterday.

40deg, bowled 19 overs, had every right to be on his heels but oh no..

The fielding effort has been sensational. Let's wrap this tail up early this morning and focus on batting deep.

We get a 150 run lead and we're driving the bus..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
20/7/18 Shark Park - a dark day in rugby league.

User avatar
Azza
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5519
Joined: February 16, 2005, 10:12 am

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Azza » December 7, 2018, 8:46 am

Yes we have the opportunity. But I just can't feel any confidence in this batting line up, so many bad collapses recently.

User avatar
-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Posts: 15861
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Joseph Tapine
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by -PJ- » December 7, 2018, 9:02 am

I agree Azza.

The bowling/fielding has us in a good spot.

Soon..our batters need to produce.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
20/7/18 Shark Park - a dark day in rugby league.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 30661
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Matt » December 7, 2018, 9:47 am

-PJ- wrote:
December 7, 2018, 7:46 am
How about PCummins run out late yesterday.

40deg, bowled 19 overs, had every right to be on his heels but oh no..

The fielding effort has been sensational. Let's wrap this tail up early this morning and focus on batting deep.

We get a 150 run lead and we're driving the bus..
:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

User avatar
-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Posts: 15861
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Joseph Tapine
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by -PJ- » December 7, 2018, 9:56 am

Day 2 about to start.

Hot again in Adelaide today.

IND to resume at 9/250
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
20/7/18 Shark Park - a dark day in rugby league.

User avatar
-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Posts: 15861
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Joseph Tapine
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by -PJ- » December 7, 2018, 10:00 am

The Raiders got a mention on fox cricket.

Cummins and Lyon were playing a game of "would you rather"

Cummins - Whould you rather see the Canberra Raiders win the 2019 GF or score a test hundred in India ?

Lyon - Test hundred for sure, Raiders won't win so test hundred.

Boooooooooooooooo to you Gazza.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
20/7/18 Shark Park - a dark day in rugby league.

User avatar
-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Posts: 15861
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Joseph Tapine
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by -PJ- » December 7, 2018, 10:01 am

IND all out first ball of the day.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
20/7/18 Shark Park - a dark day in rugby league.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 30661
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Matt » December 7, 2018, 10:01 am

Jeez... that took forever :lol:
India all out for 250.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 30661
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Matt » December 7, 2018, 10:02 am

-PJ- wrote:
December 7, 2018, 10:00 am
The Raiders got a mention on fox cricket.

Cummins and Lyon were playing a game of "would you rather"

Cummins - Whould you rather see the Canberra Raiders win the 2019 GF or score a test hundred in India ?

Lyon - Test hundred for sure, Raiders won't win so test hundred.

Boooooooooooooooo to you Gazza.
At least he is realistic

User avatar
-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Posts: 15861
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Joseph Tapine
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by -PJ- » December 7, 2018, 10:05 am

Matt wrote:
December 7, 2018, 10:02 am
-PJ- wrote:
December 7, 2018, 10:00 am
The Raiders got a mention on fox cricket.

Cummins and Lyon were playing a game of "would you rather"

Cummins - Whould you rather see the Canberra Raiders win the 2019 GF or score a test hundred in India ?

Lyon - Test hundred for sure, Raiders won't win so test hundred.

Boooooooooooooooo to you Gazza.
At least he is realistic
Usi would have went with the Raiders...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
20/7/18 Shark Park - a dark day in rugby league.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 30661
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Matt » December 7, 2018, 10:13 am

Finch knocked over by an inswinging delivery.
Exactly what people were worried about.

User avatar
-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Posts: 15861
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Joseph Tapine
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by -PJ- » December 7, 2018, 10:19 am

Finch😱
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
20/7/18 Shark Park - a dark day in rugby league.

User avatar
-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Posts: 15861
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Joseph Tapine
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by -PJ- » December 7, 2018, 11:26 am

Every Indian has a beard.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
20/7/18 Shark Park - a dark day in rugby league.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 30661
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Matt » December 7, 2018, 12:46 pm

Marsh out for 2

User avatar
Azza
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5519
Joined: February 16, 2005, 10:12 am

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Azza » December 7, 2018, 12:57 pm

The curse of Darsh. Finch and he played ridiculous shots.

User avatar
julian87
Laurie Daley
Posts: 10820
Joined: October 20, 2005, 3:35 pm

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by julian87 » December 7, 2018, 1:04 pm

Such a horrible yet predictable shot by Finch.

Still hard to fathom how a bloke who hasn’t been an opener for his state for 5 years due to technical issues is opening the batting in test cricket.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.

User avatar
Sid
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5802
Joined: May 15, 2015, 8:47 pm
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd
Location: Darwin, N.T.

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Sid » December 7, 2018, 1:06 pm

I haven't been keeping up to date with state cricket.. how are guys like Renshaw, Boourns and others going?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

User avatar
Azza
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5519
Joined: February 16, 2005, 10:12 am

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Azza » December 7, 2018, 1:08 pm

I'd expect Renshaw and Burns to be seriously looked at after we get pasted in this test

User avatar
Azza
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5519
Joined: February 16, 2005, 10:12 am

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Azza » December 7, 2018, 3:16 pm

Handscomb looked like he was hitting slips practice to the Indians. lol.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 30661
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Matt » December 7, 2018, 3:28 pm

Sid wrote:
December 7, 2018, 1:06 pm
I haven't been keeping up to date with state cricket.. how are guys like Renshaw, Boourns and others going?
Renshaw scored 300 in a 1st grade game last wk.
Booourns has been ok this yr.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 30661
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Matt » December 7, 2018, 3:29 pm

It must be really hard to be Cummins, Starc, Hazelwood and Lyon ATM. Bowl the #1 Test side out for 250 in 40 degree heat, only to watch their top 7 totally spaz out with the bat.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 30661
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Matt » December 7, 2018, 3:44 pm

Azza wrote:
December 6, 2018, 3:59 pm
My bet is India will scramble their way to 300 which is an under par score on that pitch, and then australia get skittled for 130 odd. Has happened far too often recently.
130 is a little harsh, but looking far closer than a 150 lead.

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20070
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Northern Raider » December 7, 2018, 4:02 pm

Azza wrote:
December 7, 2018, 1:08 pm
I'd expect Renshaw and Burns to be seriously looked at after we get pasted in this test
Both out cheaply vs Tassie today. will have to wait till 2nd innings to stake a claim. Anything better than Smarsh right now.
Since his last hundred back in January against the poms he had 13 innings for 160 runs at 12.5. Thats about as bad a run as you can get while keeping your spot, particularly when his career average is less than 35.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
Sid
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5802
Joined: May 15, 2015, 8:47 pm
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd
Location: Darwin, N.T.

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Sid » December 7, 2018, 4:07 pm

Northern Raider wrote:
December 7, 2018, 4:02 pm
Azza wrote:
December 7, 2018, 1:08 pm
I'd expect Renshaw and Burns to be seriously looked at after we get pasted in this test
Both out cheaply vs Tassie today. will have to wait till 2nd innings to stake a claim. Anything better than Smarsh right now.
Since his last hundred back in January against the poms he had 13 innings for 160 runs at 12.5. Thats about as bad a run as you can get while keeping your spot, particularly when his career average is less than 35.
I guess they're looking to develop for the future though..
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20070
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Northern Raider » December 7, 2018, 4:11 pm

Sid wrote:
December 7, 2018, 4:07 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
December 7, 2018, 4:02 pm
Azza wrote:
December 7, 2018, 1:08 pm
I'd expect Renshaw and Burns to be seriously looked at after we get pasted in this test
Both out cheaply vs Tassie today. will have to wait till 2nd innings to stake a claim. Anything better than Smarsh right now.
Since his last hundred back in January against the poms he had 13 innings for 160 runs at 12.5. Thats about as bad a run as you can get while keeping your spot, particularly when his career average is less than 35.
I guess they're looking to develop for the future though..
Players should avoid being 'developed' by CA. They managed to completely trash the confidence of guys like Handscomb and Renshaw who were performing OK at Test level.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 30661
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Matt » December 7, 2018, 4:19 pm

Northern Raider wrote:
December 7, 2018, 4:11 pm
Sid wrote:
December 7, 2018, 4:07 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
December 7, 2018, 4:02 pm
Azza wrote:
December 7, 2018, 1:08 pm
I'd expect Renshaw and Burns to be seriously looked at after we get pasted in this test
Both out cheaply vs Tassie today. will have to wait till 2nd innings to stake a claim. Anything better than Smarsh right now.
Since his last hundred back in January against the poms he had 13 innings for 160 runs at 12.5. Thats about as bad a run as you can get while keeping your spot, particularly when his career average is less than 35.
I guess they're looking to develop for the future though..
Players should avoid being 'developed' by CA. They managed to completely trash the confidence of guys like Handscomb and Renshaw who were performing OK at Test level.
Handscomb was going through a Marsh like trot when dropped.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 30661
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Matt » December 7, 2018, 4:24 pm

Head made it to 50.
Congratz to the home boy

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20070
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Northern Raider » December 7, 2018, 4:29 pm

Matt wrote:
December 7, 2018, 4:19 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
December 7, 2018, 4:11 pm
Sid wrote:
December 7, 2018, 4:07 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
December 7, 2018, 4:02 pm
Azza wrote:
December 7, 2018, 1:08 pm
I'd expect Renshaw and Burns to be seriously looked at after we get pasted in this test
Both out cheaply vs Tassie today. will have to wait till 2nd innings to stake a claim. Anything better than Smarsh right now.
Since his last hundred back in January against the poms he had 13 innings for 160 runs at 12.5. Thats about as bad a run as you can get while keeping your spot, particularly when his career average is less than 35.
I guess they're looking to develop for the future though..
Players should avoid being 'developed' by CA. They managed to completely trash the confidence of guys like Handscomb and Renshaw who were performing OK at Test level.
Handscomb was going through a Marsh like trot when dropped.
Not exactly. From the start of the Indian tour till after the 2nd Ashes test when he got dropped he had 15 innings 406 runs at 31. SMarsh can only dream of test figures like that at the moment.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 120920
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by greeneyed » December 7, 2018, 4:30 pm

I guess Azza was right.
Image

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20070
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Northern Raider » December 7, 2018, 4:31 pm

Matt wrote:
December 7, 2018, 4:24 pm
Head made it to 50.
Congratz to the home boy
Even though there's some contention about his spot he's still a better option at no6 than MMarsh.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 30661
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Matt » December 7, 2018, 5:36 pm

Lets review the batting...

Wickets:
1st to go was Finch. Well, its a very Finch shot. Its exactly what the worry was with Finch and the red ball game. A little bit of movement, mixed with a ODI/ T20 openers drive, 2 stumps go cartwheeling. Awful start.

2nd was Harris. Well he looked positive. Started to like the look of Ashwin. Then found out the hard way, that even the slightest lack of technique or concentration can mean your wicket at this level. Decent start to a Test career, but got a start and should have done better.

3rd was SMarsh. He looked awful from the second he stepped out there. He looks like a guy short of runs; very edgy. Plays an expansive drive, and like the Indians yesterday, lost his wicket. He better be 1 innings away from being dropped. 12 months of garbage batting must end.

4th was Khawaja. He put a high price on his wicket. BUT, he went to sleep at the crease. There was an hour there where he didnt score a run. In the end, he got a pretty good ball, that only got the faintest of touches to his glove to remove him. Again, a batsman who did the hard work, got a start, didnt go on.

5th was Handscomb. He looked great when he first came to the crease. Was positive and looked pretty safe. Then then got bogged down just a little and played an awful shot.

6th was Paine. Well, TBF, that was a pretty good nut. Moved just enough. Kept him on the crease. Nicking off.

7th was Cummins... Oh dear. Use your bat you mug.

Still batting:
Head. He has actually looked ok. The home town hero delivered. 61*. We need him to post a 100 badly.

Starc. Well, he can hit a long drop. He has a good enough technique, but does he have the temperament? We need a 30+ from here to reach parody. If he scores a 50+, we should have a lead.

User avatar
Azza
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5519
Joined: February 16, 2005, 10:12 am

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Azza » December 7, 2018, 6:55 pm

Yeah I really feel for the Aussie bowlers. It's one of the best attacks in the world, but it is demoralising when the batsmen consistently fail to do the job and give them absolutely nothing to bowl at.

Khawaja - all the talent but rarely shows authority at the crease.

S Marsh - what a waste of space. The cycle of 10 poor matches saved by the odd gleaming hundred has to end - he just isn't reliable enough. Indeed if the batting stocks weren't so thin you'd think his papers would have been stamped long ago.

User avatar
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Posts: 16189
Joined: March 14, 2010, 4:00 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Schifty » December 7, 2018, 7:48 pm

"Shaun Marsh with 6 single figure scores in a row at test level. The first Australian batting in the top 5 to do that since 1888" Andrew Samson

Post Reply