The Film Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

T_R
Don Furner

Re: The Film Thread

Post by T_R »

gangrenous wrote:
Don't get too carried away. T_R's got poor form in recognising great art. Particularly if it comes in non-traditional-form-Raiders-centric-Haiku...
Philistine

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Well look I wasn't going to call you that, but I guess it's the right word
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Finally got around to watching "The Red Pill" doco last night and seeing what all the fuss was about, no wonder the far left tried to stop it showing in Australia, was very interesting.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watched Denial.

Excellent film.

More films like this please. Less films like Thor III.
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

Love Josh Brolin and reckon he will be perfect for this roll
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Worst movie of the year, hands down is mother! The exclamation point in the title is for how terrible it is
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Anyone else excited about the possibility of a Flash Point movie? I reckon Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Batman would be epic!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Watched Blade Runner 2049 last night. It's been a long, long time since I saw the first one but from memory I thought (with this new one) they did a really good job on maintaining the feel/style of the original. It's nice to see that Hollywood can still manage to come up with something creative and enjoyable amidst all the **** they churn out, especially this current trend of rebooting old films that don't need to be rebooted.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Infinity War trailer has just come out, will be the biggest movie ever and smash so many records.

Still a lot of talk of Disney buying Fox as well, mutants and Fantastic 4 could be heading home to the MCEU soon :thumbsup
Last edited by Manbush on November 30, 2017, 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Anyone else excited about the possibility of a Flash Point movie? I reckon Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Batman would be epic!

I would be if DC had shown they could make a good movie, Flashpoint like Justice League and BVS needed a build up to it rather than rushing straight to it.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah that’s a fair point. I’m just pumped at the thought of JDM donning the cowl.

Meanwhile, I just read that Disney and Fox are close to brokering a merger deal with their Marvel franchises. It means X-Men can finally play in the Marvel universe.

Already, there’s rumours of Hugh Jackman coming out of Wolverine retirement to do Avengers 4

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Mudbound available on Netflix. Amazing. If you can watch it, do.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You imagine the horrible discrimination in the world, and then see this film. What horrible things, but then there are some positives left in the world.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Yeah that’s a fair point. I’m just pumped at the thought of JDM donning the cowl.

Meanwhile, I just read that Disney and Fox are close to brokering a merger deal with their Marvel franchises. It means X-Men can finally play in the Marvel universe.

Already, there’s rumours of Hugh Jackman coming out of Wolverine retirement to do Avengers 4

Nah thankfully Hugh won’t be swapping over with them, the only actor who should (but I’m guessing won’t) would be Ryan Reynolds, with breaking the 4th wall he could make it work with lots of jokes referencing the switch.

The buyout also means we should finally get a good Fanastic Four movie, Spider-Man characters and the Hulk will be the only ones Disney doesn’t own.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah I think Deadpool would be amazing in an Avengers. I think it’ll be good for the franchise. They can start phasing out some of the older characters and bring in some X Men characters, for example

Nickman's love of NSW
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

Anyone else seen The Last Jedi yet? Thoughts?

IMO, it was fantastic but I’ve seen a lot of negative reviews about it as well as probably the same amount of positive reviews. Even just within the group of people I watched it with, we were split. Everyone seems to think it’s either the best Star Wars movie ever made or the worst
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

going to see SW:TLJ this weekend, hopefully I can avoid spoilers until then particularly since I'm not canning social media.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Going Saturday after work, only heard good things so far either the best or second best Star Wars movie so far.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

How much are they charging for Star Wars. I had a quick look and it was over 70 dollars for two adults at Miranda in Sydney. That was for 3d.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

gergreg wrote:How much are they charging for Star Wars. I had a quick look and it was over 70 dollars for two adults at Miranda in Sydney. That was for 3d.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
If you have a Telstra account, you may be able to pick them up for $25 for 2 adults (normal 2d screening) using 'Thanks'

Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker

Sid wrote:going to see SW:TLJ this weekend, hopefully I can avoid spoilers until then particularly since I'm not canning social media.
Yeah, the very first reactions were probably about 50/50 but now it all seems to be massive amounts of praise. Even the person who I watched it with that said they didn’t like it went and watched it again and now they say they like it

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Saw it. Enjoy it but also really disappointed at the same time
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Manbush wrote:Going Saturday after work, only heard good things so far either the best or second best Star Wars movie so far.
Anyone seriously saying that is living in the moment of the excitement
I’d say it’s middle of the pack

Certainly not better than rogue 1, empire, clones or Star Wars
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker

Pigman wrote:
Manbush wrote:Going Saturday after work, only heard good things so far either the best or second best Star Wars movie so far.
Anyone seriously saying that is living in the moment of the excitement
I’d say it’s middle of the pack

Certainly not better than rogue 1, empire, clones or Star Wars
As in Attack of the Clones? I hated that movie, least favourite of all. I’d probably rank TLJ no.4 behind Empire, Star Wars and TFA.

When I properly think about it, it kind of didn’t really feel like a Star Wars movie; probably more like a Marvel movie. Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoyed it, I just think it could’ve been a lot better without stupid cop out one liners all throughout the movie
Botman
Mal Meninga

The Film Thread

Post by Botman »

Haha I literally just did my list with a mate who’d also seen it

I get a lot of back lash for clones but I really enjoyed it, thought it was by far the best of the prequels and I really enjoyed it

Worst to first, I rank them this way:

The Phantom Menace
Daylight
More daylight

Little more daylight

The Force Awakens
Revenge of the Sith
The Last Jedi
A New hope
Attack of the Clones
Rogue 1
Return of the Jedi
Empire strikes back

The middle 3-4 are super tight and I could be talked into moving them, in fact I just moved the last Jedi above revenge as I posted
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker

Pigman wrote:Haha I literally just did my list with a mate who’d also seen it

I get a lot of back lash for clones but I really enjoyed it, thought it was by far the best of the prequels and I really enjoyed it

Worst to first, I rank them this way:

The Phantom Menace
The Force Awakens
The Last Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
A New hope
Attack of the Clones
Rogue 1
Return of the Jedi
Empire strikes back
Wow, even above ANH?
My list would probably go
AOTC
TPM
Rogue One
ROTS
ROTJ
TLJ
TFA
Star Wars
ESB
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I don’t understand anyone who has Rogue 1 so low! Haha
That film was amazing. It perfectly blended into the franchise, it was totally different, the story made sense, it pieces together two points perfectly and it had a totally **** off the charts ending, including Darth looking like a **** monster

Nostalgia of ROTJ and ESB, its probably the best of them all tbh
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker

Oh, yeah I love all of them apart from AOTC and TPM. But with Rogue One, it’s honestly kind of boring for the first hour or so. The end of the movie is super badass, but it’s really difficult for me to want to watch the movie again when most of it is a lot of filler
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Phanton Menace is the only one i'd have to labour through watching again... it really is like picking your favourite child (fwiw mine is my little girl, hands down)

We may need to start a thread on this to save people from spoilers but i had a lot of issues with the Force Awakens, in that it was virtually the same damn film as A New Hope, and had some storyline issues in The Last Jedi... I really wish the film had of gone the other way at the times it had a crossroad... the potential for a really **** cool and different star wars story was there
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Well it’s a done deal, Disney now owns Fox movie and TV studios.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Gold

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I love him so much
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Just saw Star Wars, loved it. Had read a lot of spoilers about the bad parts before going but was pleasantly surprised by how those parts were handled not as bad as I was expecting.