The Film Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: The Film Thread

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Just watched a movie called Ghost Stories. It’s a horror based on a stage play. Mrs Fui and I saw the stage play a few years back, personally I thought the movie wasn’t as good as the play. The play was really well done with the props and tricks to make the stage seem haunted, where the movie just relied on the jump scares. The final reveal also had a better impact on stage.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Finally got around to watching wolf of wall street.

Good movie but **** it drags on a bit

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

-TW- wrote:Finally got around to watching wolf of wall street.

Good movie but **** it drags on a bit

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
Margot Robbie scenes could have dragged on a bit more in my opinion. But the rest. No.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I watched Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker this afternoon. I hope that's the end!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:I watched Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker this afternoon. I hope that's the end!
Yep. The excellent Mandalorian has shown that it’s better for storyline’s if the characters aren’t hamstrung by previous events in other Star Wars films.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Has anyone here seen A Ghost Story? I watched it a couple of years back, and its really stuck with me. Channel flicked through SBS on Demand and saw it there again. I really want to watch it again, just need to psych myself up for the story again.

It seems to be polarising. You either love it or hate it. Curious to see what people here think. GE - I have a feeling you'd like it.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Just finished watching Highwaymen on Netflix. It was pretty good, 7/10. True story following the two Texas Rangers who hunted and killed Bonnie and Clyde.

This part of American History blows my mind. The two Rangers were proper old school ex Wild West lawmen. It fascinates me how that era flows into the Gangster 20’s. I used to see them as two distinct eras. When the West was settling down, a lot of ex-gunslingers became some of the first Western actors so they could make income. Wyatt Earp was a movie consultant, and was close friends with John Wayne!

There’s also accounts of people tracking west through the old wagon migrations as kids, then catching a plane back east as adults

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Finally got around to watching Joker. I liked it, but didn’t enjoy it. I don’t know... I think Joaquin was amazing, but overall I didn’t like the story. I think the script was kind of lazy.

I just saw it was a Todd Phillips movie. This is the guy who gave us Old School and the Hangover series. I feel that kind of explains it

Nickman's love of NSW
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I miss heath ledger

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Watched Hamilton on Disney+ this weekend. Not a film I guess, but a film of the original stage production. I've never seen it before. Can't say the musical score or book reaches any greatness at any point, despite the awards. But I can see why it made such an impact, given the energy, the extensive use of rap in an historical story about the fight for independence of the United States. The casting very deliberately had no regard to colour, so that also no doubt helped make it ground breaking. Had never really focused on the story of Alexander Hamilton, certainly had not been aware of the circumstances of his death. Enjoyed it overall. Definitely worth watching.

Disney+ isn't worth keeping though. The content library is great if you have children, who watch things over and over and over. But not otherwise. A week's worth of viewing for me.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Watched Lake Mungo last night on Youtube. It’s an Aussie doco style horror in the style of Paranormal Activity and Blair Witch.

It was ok. It’s been called the scariest Aussie movie made, but I didn’t find it that bad... but these kind of Paranormal Activity movies don’t scare me that much.

Nickman's love of NSW
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 10, 2020, 9:17 am Has anyone here seen A Ghost Story? I watched it a couple of years back, and its really stuck with me. Channel flicked through SBS on Demand and saw it there again. I really want to watch it again, just need to psych myself up for the story again.

It seems to be polarising. You either love it or hate it. Curious to see what people here think. GE - I have a feeling you'd like it.
Yeah I enjoyed it.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watched "The Art of Self Defence". Packs a punch. Deserves more accolades than it received. Hadn't really heard of it before.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I watched Rambo-Last Blood this morning.

Now, as far as the story line goes..it could have been John Smith from Newtown.

Fair go Sly..enough is enough.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Watched “Ad Astra” and “Stan and Ollie” today. Ad Astra is a massive bore. The audiences, not the critics, have this one right. Stan and Ollie was mildly entertaining. That’s all.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just finished watching “If Beale Street Could Talk”. What an amazing film. It wasn’t what I expected, I hadn’t read anything about it much really. Some of the images in the film are completely unforgettable. And what an amazing film it is.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Just finished watching Extraction on Netflix. It’s not a bad movie. Chris Hemsworth plays an Aussie action hero. It’s produced by the Russos and you can tell, some of the fight scenes are Marvelesque. There are some moments where I saw glimpses of John Wick as well.

To top it off, I never realised how much I needed to hear swearing in a thick Aussie accent in a movie until I saw this
Last edited by FuiFui BradBrad on September 22, 2020, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nickman's love of NSW
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

greeneyed wrote: August 12, 2020, 8:50 pm Watched “Ad Astra” and “Stan and Ollie” today. Ad Astra is a massive bore. The audiences, not the critics, have this one right. Stan and Ollie was mildly entertaining. That’s all.
I enjoyed Ad Astra but those types of films are kinda my jam.

7/10 for mine.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Wife and I just went and saw Tenet.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I watched A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood yesterday. I was quiet, well acted, and a good film.

It is nowhere near as good as the article that inspired it: https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/t ... o-esq1198/

It is really worth reading.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watched "The Way Back". Standard hokey sports tale, but well acted and produced, and I really liked it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watched “The Trial of the Chicago 7”. Very good film and really worth watching. On Netflix.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RIP Sean Connery
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Bond - James Bond.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Ramirez, Highlander, RIP.

Edrick The Entertainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

RIP Sean. Did drama in Primary and High School because the teachers heard me "Nailing" his accent whilst saying "I'll have a sausage sandwich with sauce."
bonehead wrote: November 2, 2020, 6:41 am Ramirez, Highlander, RIP.

Saw Craig Ferguson do a stand up piece about Highlander. How he remembered when he was younger hearing about Highlander being made, and how Sean Connery was involved. So they were excited because the best Scottish Actor was going to be playing this iconic Scottish hero.

Movie comes out, and they have a Swiss playing a Scot, and a Scot playing a spaniard with a Scottish accent

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Watched a Paul Kelly documentary "Stories of Me" on Stan over the weekend. I enjoyed it for the music, got a bit put off by the character side of the story. He's not quite the quiet, reserved guy you think he is.

He's still probably the greatest storyteller this country has produced. I guess if he doesn't do what he does, he probably doesn't create the music he does.

Nickman's love of NSW
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:RIP Sean. Did drama in Primary and High School because the teachers heard me "Nailing" his accent whilst saying "I'll have a sausage sandwich with sauce."
bonehead wrote: November 2, 2020, 6:41 am Ramirez, Highlander, RIP.

Saw Craig Ferguson do a stand up piece about Highlander. How he remembered when he was younger hearing about Highlander being made, and how Sean Connery was involved. So they were excited because the best Scottish Actor was going to be playing this iconic Scottish hero.

Movie comes out, and they have a Swiss playing a Scot, and a Scot playing a spaniard with a Scottish accent
a Frenchman who spoke extremely limited English playing a Scot while a Scot played a Spaniard with a Scot accent.

Edrick The Entertainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Just finished watching Palm Springs on Amazon. Really enjoyed it. It’s a different take on the Groundhog Day time loop genre.

Nickman's love of NSW
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I really enjoyed The Way Back with Ben Affleck on Netflix. Part standard sports movie, but takes it a notch higher with some good performances and a deeper storyline.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I watched Fatman last night, it didn’t do anything for me.
Granted I fell asleep through it a couple of times, but I didn’t feel like I missed any of the storyline when I woke up. Friends of mine I was with liked it though
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watched “If anything happens I love you” on Netflix. It only takes 12 minutes of your time.

If only Americans could understand and take courage and do what needs to be done.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Been a terrible year for movies... But just watched “Mank” on Netflix, which has a theatrical release too. It tells the story of the writing of Citizen Kane and more. Expect it’s timed for award season. I enjoyed it a lot. The performance from Gary Oldman was, as always, masterful. The black and white cinematography was outstanding. Lots of parallels to today’s situation, where politics intersects with theatre. Definitely worth watching.

Also watched “Hillbilly Elegy” today. Directed by Ron Howard, it’s sort of what you’d expect from him these days. Production values, some good performances, especially Glen Close. But it felt shallow and empty. Netflix would have been hoping for better, given they gave this theatrical release too. Won’t be getting any, Glen Close might feature. The book was supposed to, in part, tell us why the rust belt States switched to Trump (from a conservative’s perspective). I’ve never read it, but the movie felt simplistic. Not sure what messages Ron Howard was giving.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Warner Bros announced all new movies for 2021 will be streamed on HBO max along side cinema releases

Marks the slow death of cinemas if that's the business model they're moving to

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

The Film Thread

Post by Sid »

Sounds silly. Surely that’s some kind of added on pay per view ?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine