The Film Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: The Film Thread

Post by greeneyed »

Have been reading that Oscars this year won’t even require a theatrical release due to COVID.

Warners only doing releases in 2021 on HBO Max at this stage... just due to COVID.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watched Breath (2017) on Netflix, directed and featuring Simon Baker, based on the Tim Winton novel. Very good film, enjoyed it.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I met someone tonoght that doesn't like the movie Shrek.. like who tf out there doesn't like the movie Shrek?!? Particularly to the point where they walked out on it..

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

What a Farquaad
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Sid wrote:I met someone tonoght that doesn't like the movie Shrek.. like who tf out there doesn't like the movie Shrek?!? Particularly to the point where they walked out on it..

It’s like meeting someone who doesn’t like Norbit.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

I just watched Disney/Pixar’s new film Soul; it was really good. Similar to Inside Out.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

greeneyed wrote: December 20, 2020, 6:12 pm Just watched Breath (2017) on Netflix, directed and featuring Simon Baker, based on the Tim Winton novel. Very good film, enjoyed it.
I thought it was very ordinary as a fan of the novel. The story was actually a story within the story and all context of why it was even told was absent in the film. Dirt Music was **** disgraceful too.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Do documentaries go in Film or Television?

I just watched Tell me who I am on Netflix. Unbelievable.

To try and explain without spoiling, this guy in England has a motorcycle accident at 18. He suffers amnesia as a result, and only remembers his twin brother. Over the years, his twin helps him with memories growing up, but doesn’t share a dark secret.

I watched it and really sympathised with both.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

I watched Gran Torino last night... decent film. I had a vague idea of the plot line going in, though I wasn’t expecting Clint Eastwood’s character to be so overtly racist.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watched “Blinded by the Light”. Really enjoyed it. It helps if you love Springsteen like the main character. Loved the “Born to Run” sequence, one of my all time favourite songs. Had a tear in the eye at the end.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Film Thread

That sounds interesting GE. Where did you see it?

Springsteen is next on my “Legends to see Live” list. Hanging for COVID to sort itself out to the point where he can tour again
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It’s on Foxtel at the moment, no extra charge. It’s a true story as well.

Rotten Tomatoes reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/blinded_by_the_light
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

I just watched The Trial of the Chicago 7; excellent film, I definitely recommend. It’s a true story about protesters charged with inciting violence at an anti-Vietnam War protest. It was actually quite funny.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Watched Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom and Pieces of a Woman on Netflix today. Both good films well worth watching. Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom has just been included in the AFI list of the top 10 films of 2020. Not entirely sure of that, it is very wordy and Stacey at times, reflecting its origins as a play. Also not sure it really built to the final climax. Great performances from Viola Davis and Chadwick Boseman. Very good performances too from Vanessa Kirby, Shia LaBoeuf and Ellen Burstyn in Pieces of a Woman, it is a heavy subject matter though.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Greeneyed you had me until I read the words “very good performance by Shia LaBoeuf”.

The bloke was previously out acted by a CGI car that put in a more believable performance.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Bit the bullet and got Disney Plus. Now aiming to watch the whole Star Wars series, including shows, in chronological order and right a lifelong wrong

Nickman's love of NSW
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Nah, just watch Hamilton instead
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Why not do both? I found that I ran out of things to watch on Disney Plus inside a month. So I cancelled. Then when Hamilton came along I got it for another month. If new things come up, that I really want to see, I guess I'll sign up again. But the catalogue is so thin, it isn't worth having a permanent subscription, at least for me. Maybe families with kids who love to watch things over and over.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Highly recommend a series called This is Sin... its absolutely brilliant. Heartbreaking but brilliant.
Its a 5 show mini series so an easy watch from a time commitment
One of the best shows ive seen in years
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: February 9, 2021, 5:59 pm Bit the bullet and got Disney Plus. Now aiming to watch the whole Star Wars series, including shows, in chronological order and right a lifelong wrong
I've got it too... cant say i feel i get the value out of it the way i do Netflix, but the library is expanding and the expense has been worth it to get legal access to all the Marvel content, as well as Disney movies for the kids and the Mandalorian

WandaVision is heating the **** up too.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Botman wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: February 9, 2021, 5:59 pm Bit the bullet and got Disney Plus. Now aiming to watch the whole Star Wars series, including shows, in chronological order and right a lifelong wrong
I've got it too... cant say i feel i get the value out of it the way i do Netflix, but the library is expanding and the expense has been worth it to get legal access to all the Marvel content, as well as Disney movies for the kids and the Mandalorian

Yeah I got it really for Marvel. Wanted to get into Wandavision. That and I felt it was time to finally watch Star Wars. Had a moment of realisation that I’m mid-30’s and never watched any of them, and I’d probably be into it

Nickman's love of NSW
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I've heard that Wandavision is terrible but others say it's interesting. I guess I'll give it a go once I get through Narcos.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: February 9, 2021, 8:49 pm
Botman wrote:

Yeah I got it really for Marvel. Wanted to get into Wandavision. That and I felt it was time to finally watch Star Wars. Had a moment of realisation that I’m mid-30’s and never watched any of them, and I’d probably be into it
If you're watching SW in episode order just stay strong through the first 3.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

zim wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: February 9, 2021, 8:49 pm
Botman wrote:

If you're watching SW in episode order just stay strong through the first 3.
omg just skip those 1st 3 horrors.

boneyjr watching his way through the SW cartoons and the pirates of the Caribbean movies

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Watched "News of the World" this afternoon on Netflix. It's in cinemas too. There is not a single thing in this film you have not seen before. It is well produced. But not an original thought. Tom Hanks does Tom Hanks again. Just a bit older. "They" say this film is in Academy Award contention. It shouldn't be.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

greeneyed wrote:Watched "News of the World" this afternoon on Netflix. It's in cinemas too. There is not a single thing in this film you have not seen before. It is well produced. But not an original thought. Tom Hanks does Tom Hanks again. Just a bit older. "They" say this film is in Academy Award contention. It shouldn't be.
saw it last night, thought it was a bit sloppy

Edrick The Entertainer
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Watched Hillbilly Elegy last night. It was OK without being great. Typical white trash story. I thought it would focus more on the community, for example the impact of de-industrialisation and drug addiction. But the story was only focused on this one particular family. Sounds like the book would be better (as they always are).
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Just watched Into the Wild. A little bit long, but otherwise a great movie. Based on a true story.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Smashing through films here... just completed Chappaquiddick. It’s about Ted Kennedy (brother of JFK) and how in 1969 he got in a car accident (under the influence) that killed a 28 year old women who was in the passenger seat. He didn’t report the accident until 10 hours later (presumably so he could sober up). He received a 2-month suspended sentence for leaving the scene of an accident but otherwise got away with it, going on to serve 47 years in the Senate!

How the **** did he get away with this? And then continue to serve for so long? You wonder why Republicans accuse Democrats of being hypocrites all the time.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

the bone wrote:Just watched Into the Wild. A little bit long, but otherwise a great movie. Based on a true story.
Is that the Emile Hirsch one where he goes roaming the wilderness?

If yes, I remember reading all the reviews about how great it was, only to watch it and be really disappointed. I just found the guy to be annoying and stupid, and lacked any sympathy for him.

Nickman's love of NSW
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: February 15, 2021, 12:46 pm
the bone wrote:Just watched Into the Wild. A little bit long, but otherwise a great movie. Based on a true story.

If yes, I remember reading all the reviews about how great it was, only to watch it and be really disappointed. I just found the guy to be annoying and stupid, and lacked any sympathy for him.
Yeah that’s the one. I hadn’t heard of it (or at least didn’t recall) so I didn’t have expectations going in. I was pleasantly surprised, and thought some of the stuff he did was pretty cool e.g. canoeing down the Colorado River into Mexico. I had sympathy for him in the sense that I saw him as a lost soul, and his hubris (thinking he could survive in the wild) was his downfall. I certainly don’t think he’s some anti capitalist hero though.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

the bone wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: February 15, 2021, 12:46 pm

Yeah that’s the one. I hadn’t heard of it (or at least didn’t recall) so I didn’t have expectations going in. I was pleasantly surprised, and thought some of the stuff he did was pretty cool e.g. canoeing down the Colorado River into Mexico. I had sympathy for him in the sense that I saw him as a lost soul, and his hubris (thinking he could survive in the wild) was his downfall. I certainly don’t think he’s some anti capitalist hero though.
Cracking soundtrack too, but for full disclosure I am a Pearl jam fan. I think I have the book at home but haven't read it.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

My free 12 month subscription to Apple TV runs out in a couple of months so figured I should go through some of their movies (there’s hardly any content on Apple TV, so it’s not worth paying for).
So I watched ‘On the Rocks’ with Rashida Jones and Bill Murray. A decent comedy-drama about a NYC mom who enlists her dad’s help to determine if her husband is cheating on her.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Film Thread

You just reminded me of a fun Bill Murray fact. Apparently he agreed to do Garfield without reading the script at first because he got the writer confused.

When his agent told him Joel Cohen wrote the script, Bill thought it was Joel Coen of the Coen brothers. He always wanted to work with the Coen brothers, so he jumped at it.

He’s been adamant it’s the worst movie he’s made. Apparently he did a stack of rewrites on the script to make it workable. He also takes a cheeky jab in Zombieland

Nickman's love of NSW
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

I watched ‘Captain Fantastic’ on the weekend. No, it’s not a superhero movie. It’s about a father who decided with his wife to raise their kids off the grid in the Washington state wilderness. After a tragedy forces them to venture into normal society, the family has to reckon with their choice to live alone.

It was a great film, I would definitely recommend.