The Book Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

Michael
Mal Meninga

Re: The Book Thread

Post by Michael »

mdmactavish wrote:Just googled that, it does look good...
Here's hoping - The Cold Six Thousand as a bit hard to read, he took the staccato style was taken a bit far, but American Tabloid was pretty much the best book I have ever read.
glassandahalf
Peter Jackson

Post by glassandahalf »

bright shiny morning by James Frey is the last outstanding book ive read. An excellent slice of pop fiction with the city of los angeles as a central character.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
-- Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Im a big Dean Koontz and Stephen King fan , basically read them all. Kings IT has been the best book Ive read and got me hooked. Also like Michael Kimball but he doesnt write too much.

Ive just started reading The Dead Path written by Stephen M Irwin he's an Aussie author and its his first book.
Peter Garrett
Simon Woolford

Post by Peter Garrett »

Someone needs to take out Stephanie Meyer before she subjects the world to any more of this Twilight garbage.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

Peter Garrett wrote:Someone needs to take out Stephanie Meyer before she subjects the world to any more of this Twilight garbage.
1000% agree. While we're at it, can we knock off JK Rowling?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Reading Duma Key by Stephen King....long winded (nearly 700 pages) but intriguing.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Raider_69 wrote:
Peter Garrett wrote:Someone needs to take out Stephanie Meyer before she subjects the world to any more of this Twilight garbage.
1000% agree. While we're at it, can we knock off JK Rowling?
No one's tying you to a chair and jamming matchsticks in your eyes as they turn the pages every couple of minutes...

Probably.
glassandahalf
Peter Jackson

Post by glassandahalf »

as someone that was tied to a chair, had matchsticks holding open my eyes, as they were exposed to both the Twighlight and Harry Potter books, I have to say they arent so bad.

I will go even further and say that the Harry Potter books are actually pretty brilliant (except for the second one)...

Twighlight on the other hands is what it is... but wasnt quite as insipid as i thought I was going to be tortured with.

Ive decided to James Elroy a go (this time on my own volition), and I really like his style so far :)
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
-- Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Read American Tabloid or LA Confidential first.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

glassandahalf wrote:as someone that was tied to a chair, had matchsticks holding open my eyes, as they were exposed to both the Twighlight and Harry Potter books, I have to say they arent so bad.

I will go even further and say that the Harry Potter books are actually pretty brilliant (except for the second one)...

Twighlight on the other hands is what it is... but wasnt quite as insipid as i thought I was going to be tortured with.

Ive decided to James Elroy a go (this time on my own volition), and I really like his style so far :)
I begrudingly admit, i dont read books but recently my g/f gave me the last book to read, having watched all the movies thus far, i wanted to have closure on the the series and cbf waiting until the next 2 movies, it was a pretty good read actually :lol:
Peter Garrett
Simon Woolford

Post by Peter Garrett »

You're dead to me.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Peter Garrett wrote:You're dead to me.
Thought you'd like that
This is me, deal with it :D
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Just read "Brocky's Bananagram" - would recomend it
-LG-
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by -LG- »

I've read all of the Harry Potter books, and Twilight.

The inner kid in me enjoys those sorts of light reads now and then.

Neither are classics of literature but they're engaging enough.

Currently reading a non-fiction book - Fool's Gold: How Unrestrained Greed Corrupted a Dream, Shattered Global Markets and Unleashed a Catastrophe.

So far, a decent read.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Interesting thread. Try a change of pace...list the last 5 books you've read (and stop trying to be so impressive, people...no shame in a little dodgy fiction from time to time).

This is my list:

1. Comfort Women: Japan's brutal regime of enforced prostitution
2. Flashman and the Redskins
3. Gang Leader for a day: A rogue sociologist takes to the streets
4. The secret of the bones: Unlocking human origins
5. Embracing Defeat: Japan in the wake of WWII

Actually, my reading has clearly dumbed down this year :lol:

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

James Ellroy - American Tabloid

James Ellroy - The Cold Six Thousand - both in preparation for the release of Blood's a Rover.

The Red Harvest - Dashiell Hammett

Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail - HST.

Down and Dirty Pictures-Miramax, Sundance, and the Rise of Independent Film - Peter Biskind.
valiant_raider
David Furner

Post by valiant_raider »

1. The Devine Worshipper
2. Six Sacred Stones
3. Manhunt
4. Seven Ancient Wonders
5. Ice Station
2005 Golden Boogs Newbie Award Winner
2006 Finites Caption Contest Winner
2006 Golden Boogs Most Improved Poster
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Christine
Duma Key
Some other King compilation of short stories
Bible
Hole in our Gospel by Rich Stearns
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Ecz
Brett Mullins

Post by Ecz »

1) Bill Waterhouse's Book
2) The Slap
3) Of Mice and Men (school)
4) The Crucible (school)
5) When the Giants Walked The Earth (Led Zeppelin book)
TORRENS TIGERS...2009 GH PREMIERSHIP
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Just finished reading the new Wally Lewis book and his battle with epilepsy and depression, a very good read and gives you a good insight into his battles.

For anyone interested he is signing copies at Dymocks Tuggeranong Friday 16th October at 6pm, i saw a poster up there the other day.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm reading the Wally Lewis book as well at the moment. It is no great literature, but very interesting.
beetlejuice
David Furner
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by beetlejuice »

valiant_raider wrote:1. The Devine Worshipper
2. Six Sacred Stones
3. Manhunt
4. Seven Ancient Wonders
5. Ice Station
5 greatest warriors comes out on Oct 20. Man was i pissed when i got to the end of Six sacred stones and it was a part 1.

i just read angels and demons, ill have to admit i enjoyied it and the killer twist at the end was worth it.
Love the Raiders, Hate The NRL.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Armeggedon - The battle for Germany 1941-45
Somme Mud
The AC/DC Biography that came out recently
Monster - Autobiography of an East LA gangbanger in the early 90's
Nick Cave - the Death of Bunny Munroe (won't be everyones cup of tea)
World War 1 (I think) Les Carolyn

The Alan Jone biography and the Super Legue book about Paul Harragon as "the bus driver" were good too but can't remember the names.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

It was called Jonestown.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Yeh that was it, whatever you may think of him he's still the most successful Wallabies coach of all time
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

mdmactavish wrote:Yeh that was it, whatever you may think of him he's still the most successful Wallabies coach of all time
I tend to think of him as a nasty, vicious, fear-mongering sack of crap.
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

Michael wrote:
mdmactavish wrote:Yeh that was it, whatever you may think of him he's still the most successful Wallabies coach of all time
Its what works for me.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

central coast green wrote:
Michael wrote:
Its what works for me.
Allow me to quote a wise man

"Does it hurt that he's richer, more successful and happier than you'll ever be?" ;)
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

Raider_69 wrote:
central coast green wrote:
Michael wrote:
Its what works for me.
Allow me to quote a wise man

"Does it hurt that he's richer, more successful and happier than you'll ever be?" ;)
Touche' Nicolas :hmmm
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Not sure about the happier bit,

I think this is why the book was so good, Jones is a really complicated guy who pulled himself up from a humble teacher to the pinnacle of his sport and became arguably one the top three most powerful people in the country for almost 10 years. All while (allegedly) staying firmly in the closet, working 20 hours a day and preaching to the lowest demographic he could find.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

See that's what bothers me the most about Alan Jones - he's obviously a highly intelligent, driven man, who's achieved so much power and influence through the lowest means possible. He's smart enough to know that half the stuff he tells his listeners is inflammatory rubbish, but he does it anyway because he knows thats what gets him the ratings.

The reason he won't come out of the closet is that he knows that would alienate his demographic. When he was caught in the public toilet in London he had the perfect opportunity to say 'yeah, im gay, its no big deal', and I don't think 90% of the population would have cared, and probably would have respected him a little more if anything. But now he's trapped in this situation where he'll never come clean because the people who listen to him (my grandfather for instance) would never tune in to some 'poofter'.

Nice call by the way Nick - seriously though, I wouldn't trade places with Alan Jones for anything. Being so uncomfortable in your own skin and your urges must be hell. No amount of money would make that go away.
Matthias
Peter Jackson

Post by Matthias »

"The Millionaire Next Door" by Thomas Stanley and William Danko.

If you only read one book about money in your life this should probs be it. Wish that I'd read it ten years before I did.
Now with 50% more vitamin R
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

Michael wrote:See that's what bothers me the most about Alan Jones - he's obviously a highly intelligent, driven man, who's achieved so much power and influence through the lowest means possible. He's smart enough to know that half the stuff he tells his listeners is inflammatory rubbish, but he does it anyway because he knows thats what gets him the ratings.

The reason he won't come out of the closet is that he knows that would alienate his demographic. When he was caught in the public toilet in London he had the perfect opportunity to say 'yeah, im gay, its no big deal', and I don't think 90% of the population would have cared, and probably would have respected him a little more if anything. But now he's trapped in this situation where he'll never come clean because the people who listen to him (my grandfather for instance) would never tune in to some 'poofter'.

Nice call by the way Nick - seriously though, I wouldn't trade places with Alan Jones for anything. Being so uncomfortable in your own skin and your urges must be hell. No amount of money would make that go away.
You.. you almost feel sorry for the guy Michael. You might just soften up yet.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Michael wrote: Nice call by the way Nick - seriously though, I wouldn't trade places with Alan Jones for anything. Being so uncomfortable in your own skin and your urges must be hell. No amount of money would make that go away.
Fair point
TBH i dont like the guy, havent read his book and never will. Not because of his radio work, or his sexual preference, but the man spent half his life devoteed to union... *shudders* no thanks :thumbsdown
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Agreed,

It wasn't his book though, I think it was Chris Masters, Jones doesn't come out of it very well