John Ferguson

Re: The Book Thread

Post by Chickas shoe »

I'm the bearded wonder.
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

That McCarthy looks good to me, Michael. I've not read his stuff as yet. I fully intend to, he's in the bank waiting to be withdrawn someday later in life. Those movies adaptations are both powerful, the books must be too I figure.
Portentious! Nice new word and perfect for the context.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Was a brilliant story Chicka, you should publish it.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Begbie wrote:Was a brilliant story Chicka, you should publish it.
I thought "I can't have been that drunk...".

Well done for varnishing a cupboard. In the spirit of one-upmanship, I am repainting an entire kitchen using laminate paint. Four hours of preparation before each ten minute excercise in brushing and rolling. I can say though that White Knight laminate paint actually lives up to its promise.

By the way, Fritz Lieber is another favourite I forgot to mention - the Lankhmar books are fabulous, thought personally I think The Big Time was amazing when it was written and still holds up conceptually.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

My apologies, for some reason I had your good self and Chicka's Shoe as the same person in my mind. Actually it happens a fair bit- should I see a doctor?

I pebbled the driveway today. The cupboard looks great.

I'm off to the book shop to buy a Fritz Lieber novel.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Swords of Lankhmar, from something like 1956 I think, was the start of the 6-book sequence. Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

The Book Thread

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Just read 11.22.63 by Stephen King.

I bought this some time ago but have only read it now , a very enjoyable story involving time travel and changing history.
freddo
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by freddo »

The Art of War- Sun Tzu
Truth Beauty and The Freddo Way
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

gangrenous wrote:Iain Banks has terminal cancer http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8637186 :( :( :(
That's just tragic. And he never came to Australia (Adelaide Writer's Festival) because he cut up his passport in protest at Tony Blair's participation in the invasion of Iraq... (which was possibly a bit stupid, but at least he avoided Adelaide).

Why couldn't it be someone else with less talent, whose books I didn't like?
Travis
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Travis »

I have just ordered The Curse of the Mistwraith and American Tabloid from eBay, Nickman and Michael. I'm looking forward to reading them!

My favourite authors are Hemmingway and Steinbeck. The Old Man and the Sea and Of Mice and Men are my two favourite books by these authors. The most recent books I've read are Life by Keith Richards and The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett (for the second time). They're both awesome. Another good rock biography is Shakey: Neil Young's Biography by Jimmy McDonough. I'm a big Neil fan and reckon it's a very interesting read! Hey Nickman, have you read the Lord of the Rings trilogy yet? They're really good if you like fantasy.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Nice work with American Tabloid. :cmon
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hey Travis good work, the Mistwraith series is ****ing awesome!

And no, I've never gotten around to reading LOTR, but apparently it's a must do.
Albi
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Albi »

Travis wrote:I have just ordered The Curse of the Mistwraith and American Tabloid from eBay, Nickman and Michael. I'm looking forward to reading them!

My favourite authors are Hemmingway and Steinbeck. The Old Man and the Sea and Of Mice and Men are my two favourite books by these authors. The most recent books I've read are Life by Keith Richards and The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett (for the second time). They're both awesome. Another good rock biography is Shakey: Neil Young's Biography by Jimmy McDonough. I'm a big Neil fan and reckon it's a very interesting read! Hey Nickman, have you read the Lord of the Rings trilogy yet? They're really good if you like fantasy.
Beautiful, when my stepdad passes away, I got all his Steinbeck!

Slaughterhouse 5 is still my all time favourite
Canberra Raiders Bronze Member

Banner courtesy of the very talented, fistinz.
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

Travis wrote:I have just ordered The Curse of the Mistwraith and American Tabloid from eBay, Nickman and Michael. I'm looking forward to reading them!

I've met Jimmy McDonough. He came to visit our place when he came out to Australia. His missus and mine used to be in a band together back in the 80s. He's a dude and that book is a pearler.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

Chicka's shoe wrote:

I've met Jimmy McDonough. He came to visit our place when he came out to Australia. His missus and mine used to be in a band together back in the 80s. He's a dude and that book is a pearler.
Really! That's rad! He was given the run-around by Neil throughout, I think. Must have been frustrating to write it. The period of his life after Danny Whitten died, when he recorded Time Fades Away, Tonight's the Night and On the Beach, was creative genius!
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

Albi wrote:

Beautiful, when my stepdad passes away, I got all his Steinbeck!

Slaughterhouse 5 is still my all time favourite
I actually haven't read that, but will do so when I get a chance. I really liked Travels with Charlie and Tortilla Flat too.
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

Travis wrote:
Chicka's shoe wrote:

Really! That's rad! He was given the run-around by Neil throughout, I think. Must have been frustrating to write it. The period of his life after Danny Whitten died, when he recorded Time Fades Away, Tonight's the Night and On the Beach, was creative genius!
He was driven mad writing it - he's a bit of a character is Jimmy, many oddball interests besides Neil Young.
86 invader
David Grant

Post by 86 invader »

To be honest I didn't rate The Great Gatsby that highly... I thought it was a good story but just told in a pretty boring way... I think he had a short story idea and padded it out big time to make a novella...
86 invader
David Grant

Post by 86 invader »

Elmore Leonard died... damn...
Decorous Muse
Ruben Wiki

Post by Decorous Muse »

most disappointing book ever is Catcher in the Rye.. my goodness
The Vindicated wrote:You would be hard pressed to find anyone who hasnt committed some kind of vandalism in their life, leaving your car to avoid getting breath tested is actually quite smart
Bay56 wrote:cant understand people who come in here and whinge
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I like that book.
Albi
David Furner

Post by Albi »

Me too.
Canberra Raiders Bronze Member

Banner courtesy of the very talented, fistinz.
86 invader
David Grant

Post by 86 invader »

Decorous Muse wrote:most disappointing book ever is Catcher in the Rye.. my goodness
Agreed... Boring story that goes nowhere about a self-centered little brat who thinks he's better than everyone else... and who has a predilection for younger children...
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

I read it at school

All books were boring then
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

Anyone got any fast paced thrillers or crime books they're fans of? I like all the classics, but these make my 40 minute train trip seem like 4 minutes...

Also, a bit left of field, but anyone interested in Soccer or sports in general, give "Fabrice Muamba: I'm Still Standing" a read... not the best written biography in the world but it's an amazing story... He's the Bolton player that collapse on the pitch during an FA Cup match.... brilliant story....
I found a moon rock in my nose....
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Decorous Muse wrote:most disappointing book ever is Catcher in the Rye.. my goodness
Philistine.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

Dibbers wrote:Anyone got any fast paced thrillers or crime books they're fans of? I like all the classics, but these make my 40 minute train trip seem like 4 minutes...

Also, a bit left of field, but anyone interested in Soccer or sports in general, give "Fabrice Muamba: I'm Still Standing" a read... not the best written biography in the world but it's an amazing story... He's the Bolton player that collapse on the pitch during an FA Cup match.... brilliant story....
I really like the Thomas Harris Hannibal series. It starts with Red Dragon.
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Post by Captain Punish »

Dibbers wrote:Anyone got any fast paced thrillers or crime books they're fans of? I like all the classics, but these make my 40 minute train trip seem like 4 minutes...

If you haven't already, give Vince Flynn a go. Start at Term Limits which is his first and make your way through the "Mitch Rapp series".

You won't regret it. Vince is/was my favourite author. He unfortunately passed away earlier this year at 47, and never got to finish his most recent Rapp story.

They are political espionage based books, but really well written and 12 later I'm upset there will no be anymore.
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

The Nickman wrote:Hey Travis good work, the Mistwraith series is ****ing awesome!

And no, I've never gotten around to reading LOTR, but apparently it's a must do.
Hmm I think I got a copy of Curse of the Mistwraith from over a decade ago, I don't think I actually finished reading it. Might have to give it another go after I finish reading game of thrones
2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Aero wrote:
The Nickman wrote:Hey Travis good work, the Mistwraith series is ****ing awesome!

Hmm I think I got a copy of Curse of the Mistwraith from over a decade ago, I don't think I actually finished reading it. Might have to give it another go after I finish reading game of thrones
Mate it's the bet series I've read bar none. Read most of them three times now. Awesome books
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

Did anyone else read these when they were younger? Just found my copies of them I bought 2 years ago! Good childhood memories!

http://www.glorygardens.com/glory.html
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

Anyone read gone girl, f@#@$@ awesome
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

chris83 wrote:Anyone read gone girl, f@#@$@ awesome
Reading it now. Trying to finish before I go see it at the movies.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I have wilbur smiths latest waiting for my attention, I have nearly all of his in hardcover just half a dozen short
Edrick The Entertainer