Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Game of Thrones Season 8 *Spoilers*

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Getting in early.

Just saw this latest trailer - PigRickMan and I might get our #TeamWhiteWalker dream

In preparation for Season 8, Mrs Fui and I have been binging the series from Season 1. It makes much more sense now going back and re-watching it.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 *Spoilers*

Post by greeneyed »

Not much in the way of spoilers there!
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

I’ve been watching the summary show, been a good refresher

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

greeneyed wrote:Not much in the way of spoilers there!
It’s suggesting they all die in the end!
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It is? I don't think that's going to happen.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Just so you know, Arya dies in the second last episode, that's been confirmed
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

It would be a fitting end to a show that's renowned for killing off all its characters
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

George R R Martin was once asked how he’d like the book series to end. His response was something along the lines of a dust storm blowing over everyone’s tombstones.

So I wouldn’t be shocked if they all die in the end

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Nickman's love of NSW
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

If they are all dead, who buried them and erected the gravestones?

That trailer just shows a deserted Winterfell. They were always going to lose the battle of Winterfell.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

What do these tell us?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

ive said it once and ill say it again, Go the Night King
All of these characters are compromised, the story of the show is the core of every story about the human being... we're **** and we'll continue to be **** forever and always

I truly want this to end with the Night King sitting on the throne, and then the bright sun appears through the remains of the throne room and the dead army start retreating back to the north as survivors slowly emerge to rebuild, hopefully for the better
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Not all the characters are compromised. Maybe a bit imperfect.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

PigRickman wrote:I truly want this to end with the Night King sitting on the throne, and then the bright sun appears through the remains of the throne room and the dead army start retreating back to the north as survivors slowly emerge to rebuild, hopefully for the better
This. With Bronn pulling himself out of the rubble, and dusts himself off. He sits on the Iron Throne and lets out a “I dun mind it up ere”, as he finally gets the castle he’s been longing for.

Nickman's love of NSW
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Just watched that teaser trailer. All it tells us is Winterfell is cold **** hole and Jon dropped his sword at some point.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

...and Arya is going to die in the second last episode
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Just read this reddit thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/ ... seriously/

Not going to lie, I’m on board the King Sam train

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Not the best ep to kick things off but probably a necessary table setting ep
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah that was a setter ep. Loved how Bran was acting Script Supervisor.
“We don’t have time for this. We have 3 eps to kill the Night King, so we can spend the last 3 eps killing Cersei”
He should have been tapping a watch.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Are there only six episodes?!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Kinda boring TBH.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

PigRickman wrote: April 15, 2019, 8:13 pm Not the best ep to kick things off but probably a necessary table setting ep
Most series have started on a low key note. I thought they did a good job of setting the scene that all's not well in paradise. The alliance of all the 'good guys' is a bit wobbly. They then threw the massive curve ball telling Jon he's rightful king (even though we knew that was coming).

There were a stack of reunions but one was overlooked. Jorah Mormont returning to the north and nobody bats an eyelid even with Lyanna Mormont front and centre.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The final scene was good. Last time they met, one of them got thrown out the window!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Northern Raider wrote:
PigRickman wrote: April 15, 2019, 8:13 pm Not the best ep to kick things off but probably a necessary table setting ep
Most series have started on a low key note. I thought they did a good job of setting the scene that all's not well in paradise. The alliance of all the 'good guys' is a bit wobbly. They then threw the massive curve ball telling Jon he's rightful king (even though we knew that was coming).

There were a stack of reunions but one was overlooked. Jorah Mormont returning to the north and nobody bats an eyelid even with Lyanna Mormont front and centre.
Yeah I was surprised there was no Mormont reunion also.

I thought it was a good first ep. They were just laying out the chess pieces for the season to come.

Alright everyone, big call time. Who will sit atop the Iron Throne come the final?

I’m saying Sam. Not just the reasons in that link, but I think the Danys line around owing a favour for the Citadel.

Add to this, I’ve been convinced for a while that it’ll turn out this show has been a story told by Sam, I’m seeing Sam standing in as King, with his advisors ruling the regions and Democracy coming in to “Break the wheel”

Who’s next?

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If Jon Snow doesn't become king, I'm going to be desperately disappointed.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

greeneyed wrote:If Jon Snow doesn't become king, I'm going to be desperately disappointed.
Even though he doesn’t seem to want it?

Nickman's love of NSW
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Pretty obvious that Dolorous Edd Tollett will end up on the Iron Throne. Bradbury'd his way to Lord Commander of the Nights Watch. Gathered so much momentum he's become the irresistible force of Westeros.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
greeneyed wrote:If Jon Snow doesn't become king, I'm going to be desperately disappointed.
But he will by the time he takes it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:

I don’t think it’ll be Jon Snow, simply because George RR Martin has said the ending will be “bitter sweet”. There’s no way this one ends with them all living happily ever after

My pick for the Iron Throne? Gendry Baratheon with Arya as his queen. After the last two “true” Targaryens die, Gendry is the next in line to the throne with both Targaryen and Baratheon heritage and Arya will have the North behind her. There’s really nobody else.

Sansa will rule the North under Gendry and Arya.

Was anyone else bummed out about the 50min episode length considering there’s only six episodes? I thought they were going to be an hour and a half each this series!

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 15, 2019, 11:06 pm Pretty obvious that Dolorous Edd Tollett will end up on the Iron Throne. Bradbury'd his way to Lord Commander of the Nights Watch. Gathered so much momentum he's become the irresistible force of Westeros.
Dolorous Edd, your campaign seems to have the momentum of a runaway freight train.
Why are you so popular?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: April 16, 2019, 7:51 am
greeneyed wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:

I don’t think it’ll be Jon Snow, simply because George RR Martin has said the ending will be “bitter sweet”. There’s no way this one ends with them all living happily ever after

My pick for the Iron Throne? Gendry Baratheon with Arya as his queen. After the last two “true” Targaryens die, Gendry is the next in line to the throne with both Targaryen and Baratheon heritage and Arya will have the North behind her. There’s really nobody else.

Sansa will rule the North under Gendry and Arya.

Was anyone else bummed out about the 50min episode length considering there’s only six episodes? I thought they were going to be an hour and a half each this series!

100% agree
Wont be either Snow or Dany.
I dont mind that Gendry idea, if the Throne is to stay and there the wheel is not broken, that's a great pick

How i want it to end?
Night king wins, wipes out the world marches on Kings Landing, decimates Cersei and the Golden Company in the snow, all of humanity wiped out... then sits the Iron Throne is is pricked by one of the swords that just happened to be Valaryan steel... poooof, white walkers all disappear, the sun comes out, the long winter is over... the who are left and survived, crawl out and begin to rebuild again

How i think it will end?
I dont think you have anyone sitting the iron throne, i think it ends with the Iron Throne being cast aside, no one single power. Dany wants to break the wheel, she's spoken about it too many times, she includes her own house in the wheel. That's her legacy. I think if Snow and Dany survive, they''ll happy retreat into a small cottage away from everything and just live our their days with a family (narrative, they dont survive) but i think ultimately the end of this is going to mass independence. No one will rule, there will be no iron throne at all.

They may then elect a sort of over arching president type who oversees realm relations and ensures peace it kept, in which case i think Tyrion will be the first elected.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Problem with how you think it will end Nocko, is that I don't think Dany and/or Jon get out of this one alive. Your ending is too "happily ever after", and there's just no WAY that happens.

Another reason why I think the Gendry one is going to happen, is why bother shoehorning him back into the series now? Just as a love interest for Arya?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: April 16, 2019, 8:53 am Problem with how you think it will end Nocko, is that I don't think Dany and/or Jon get out of this one alive. Your ending is too "happily ever after", and there's just no WAY that happens.

Another reason why I think the Gendry one is going to happen, is why bother shoehorning him back into the series now? Just as a love interest for Arya?
Na i said that in the post, i dont think they'll survive, either of them. I think they'll both die, but i think if they do survive, they'll just disappear into the realm and do their thing. I dont think at the end of this, dead or alive, either of them will sit the throne.

I think the bittersweet ending that the writers and GRRM speak about is basically everyone you know and love dies, save for a select few so thats the bitter, the sweet is that they died for the birth of democracy. That's breaking the wheel. Putting another dynasty in place to rule father to son breaks nothing, the wheel continues.
The throne is thrown out, independence is declared for the Stark's in the North (Sansa), Lannister's on the Westerlands (Tyrion), Greyjoy's on the Iron Islands (Yara), Tarly's in the Reach (Samwell), Arryn's in the Eyrie (Sweet Robin) and Tully's in the Riverland (Edmure), Baratheon's in the Stormlands (Gendry) and the Dothraki placed in Dorne because no one (show wise) cares about Dorne.

As for Gendry, it wouldnt be the first time they've shoe horned a character in for no reason. And frankly the reason for him being back could simply be this very conversation, to give the viewers someone else to think about.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

PigRickman wrote:I think the bittersweet ending that the writers and GRRM speak about is basically everyone you know and love dies, save for a select few so thats the bitter, the sweet is that they died for the birth of democracy. That's breaking the wheel. Putting another dynasty in place to rule father to son breaks nothing, the wheel continues.
Sam will sit on the throne, in a Prime Minister type position, independence is declared for the Stark's in the North (Gendry and Arya), Lannister's on the Westerlands (Tyrion), Greyjoy's on the Iron Islands (Yara), the Reach (...), the Eyrie (Sansa) and Tully's in the Riverland (Edmure), the Stormlands (...) and Bronn in Dorne.
I like what you're throwing down. I've tweaked with some of my predictions (In italics). I don't see Robin lasting surviving this show, and if Bron survives, he's still owed a castle. That said, I felt they made an effort to show he's put on a bit of a beer gut in this ep, I think he might be a touch out of condition, and might not last either.

There's also Highgarden available for someone to take over

Nickman's love of NSW
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Not on board with the Gendry theory. There's virtually zero support for the Baratheon name so that won't give him any leverage. Also no claim of legitimacy. Bastard son of a dead usurper 3 places removed from the Iron throne just won't cut it.

I'm putting a line through Dany or Jon. If both somehow survive I reckon they'll do the bolt together. It was hinted after their dragon flight when they were at the waterfall. Dany says "we could stay a thousand years and no-one would find us". Already hinted she could just walk away with Jon being. Him being her nephew won't worry her. She grew up being told she would be marrying her brother in true Targaryen fashion.

Tyrion has something cooking that's yet to be revealed. Last episode of series 7 he had the private meeting with Cersei which cut away when he realised she was pregnant. Next scene they return to the truce council where Cersei agrees to join them in the fight against the dead and send the Lannister armies north. So what was discussed between Tyrion and Cersei that caused her change in tact? Lets also not forget the scene in the ship near the end of that episode where Jon visit Dany for a bit of rumpy pumpy. Tyrion is lurking in the shadows outside with an expression that suggests he's torn by his betrayal of them.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Just finished watching. Nice of them to put a public holiday in so we could watch straight away. This episode was entirely set in Winterfell as they prepare for the dead army to arrive. Some resolution on a few story arcs but mostly talky talky.

The main reveal was Jon telling Dany he's her nephew. She recognises he's got claim to the throne and clearly has the ****. Then the white walkers arrive to break the tension. Have to wait till next week for the big fight.

If you were re-watching the series you would probably fast forward a number of scenes.
Last edited by Northern Raider on April 22, 2019, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.