Game of Thrones Season 8 *Spoilers*

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 *Spoilers*

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: May 24, 2019, 11:47 am Have to admit this an awesome internet nerd fight.
There's really not a lot of people on the side of the show writers on this one that I've seen online, it's almost universal condemnation.

And here the largest supporter they have is GE, but again... he has a serious history of unconscious bias.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I just read that in the original script, Jorah was going to last until the end, and join Jon at the wall. The final scene was going to be Jon, Jorah and Tormund riding off into the sunset. They changed the ending because they weren’t able to justify why Jorah would ride with Jon after killing his beloved, so they changed it.

That gave me a bit of confidence, that they had a crack at closing some of the plot holes. Imagine the reaction if that happened!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 24, 2019, 11:56 am I just read that in the original script, Jorah was going to last until the end, and join Jon at the wall. The final scene was going to be Jon, Jorah and Tormund riding off into the sunset. They changed the ending because they weren’t able to justify why Jorah would ride with Jon after killing his beloved, so they changed it.

That gave me a bit of confidence, that they had a crack at closing some of the plot holes. Imagine the reaction if that happened!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
That also gives me a lot of confidence that major parts of that ending are D&D's, not George's.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

PigRickman wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 24, 2019, 10:01 am and the only word I could understand was “Sydney”, I would be asking who **** in my pants
I believe correct terminology would be “which one of you cowards **** in my pants?”
That’s right, not to be confused with Negans “I hope you have your ******* pants on!”

I need to find a scenario to use this line IRL
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Rickman wrote: May 24, 2019, 11:56 am
Northern Raider wrote: May 24, 2019, 11:47 am Have to admit this an awesome internet nerd fight.
There's really not a lot of people on the side of the show writers on this one that I've seen online, it's almost universal condemnation.

And here the largest supporter they have is GE, but again... he has a serious history of unconscious bias.
Nerd
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: May 24, 2019, 12:02 pm

Nerd
Well I'd rather be a nerd than a... than a... jerk!

Oh wait, I'm both. Never mind.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

It's cool guy hour here on the GH. :lol: :lol:
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

PigRickman wrote:
It's cool guy hour here on the GH. :lol: :lol:
Haha, reminded me of this

Nickman's love of NSW
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Nerd
yeah well my Giant could beat your Direwolf in a fight
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

PigRickman wrote:
greeneyed wrote: May 23, 2019, 11:35 pm Who says Jon didn't learn enough of the language to work it out? I've learned enough of a lot of languages to work out what is being said, but it is much more difficult to speak it.
What evidence did the show give the idea that Jon AND Arya had sound understanding of the language?

That’s the point, if you want to make that scene work, put some dialogue somewhere in the lead up eps to show he’s picked up some Dothraki.

That’s what the show did so incredibly well for 6 seasons and the type of super bad short cuts they’ve made since losing the source material
I'm as pissed as anyone on the plot holes in the last episode, but I don't think that you had understand what she was saying to know what she was getting at. Her intentions were pretty clear.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Sid wrote: May 24, 2019, 12:36 pm

Nerd
yeah well my Giant could beat your Direwolf in a fight
Could not
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

What a crappy finale.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Azza wrote: May 24, 2019, 3:18 pm What a crappy finale.
Should've ended with Jon killing Dany and Drogon melting the iron throne.

Everything that happened after that was utter garbage.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Jon should've placed his Queen's body on the throne for Drogon to melt them both :hmmm

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Drogon should have blasted Jon in anger and Jon be all like “I’m a Targ ****, you owe me a new cloak”. Then Drogon eats him.

Yeah... that’s how it should have gone
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: May 24, 2019, 6:51 pm Drogon should have blasted Jon in anger and Jon be all like “I’m a Targ ****, you owe me a new cloak”. Then Drogon eats him.

Yeah... that’s how it should have gone ImageImage
Big upgrade up the one we got though, so credit where it's due there!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Yeah, no plot holes and some Jon Snow nudity. My ending would have appeased the masses!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: May 24, 2019, 8:32 pm Yeah, no plot holes and some Jon Snow nudity. My ending would have appeased the masses!
Some Snow EDIT is all i wanted if im being honest.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

PigRickman wrote:
gangrenous wrote: May 24, 2019, 8:32 pm Yeah, no plot holes and some Jon Snow nudity. My ending would have appeased the masses!
Some Snow EDIT is all i wanted if im being honest.
Ha. Now it looks worse Image

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

So I was thinking... this might be the worst part of GoT

They send out the Dothraki in the long night, they get snuffed out a flame/man
Like the story was no one survived that charge

And then randomly half of them did survive, they multiplied only to have them go against their entire life philosophy and they weren’t even needed for the KL sacking!

Wouldnt it have just been better to commit to their wipe out? They brought them back, in ridiculous fashion only for them to not play any real role, the show could go exactly the same as it did without the Dothraki after the long night, just to have the resettled in Westeros?!?

I can’t stop thinking about how wildly **** dumb that is!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

It’s absolutely diabolical. Where were these bludgers when the wights stormed Winterfell?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

PigRickman wrote:So I was thinking... this might be the worst part of GoT

They send out the Dothraki in the long night, they get snuffed out a flame/man
Like the story was no one survived that charge

And then randomly half of them did survive, they multiplied only to have them go against their entire life philosophy and they weren’t even needed for the KL sacking!

Wouldnt it have just been better to commit to their wipe out? They brought them back, in ridiculous fashion only for them to not play any real role, the show could go exactly the same as it did without the Dothraki after the long night, just to have the resettled in Westeros?!?

I can’t stop thinking about how wildly **** dumb that is!
Yeah I’ll give you that one. I didn’t buy the throwaway line that half of them stayed in Dragonstone.
They could have committed to them getting wiped out, and close off one of the big plot holes. They weren’t even needed in the battle for Kings Landing

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Game of Thrones Season 8 *Spoilers*

Meanwhile, I just finished the Telltale GoT game... my choices didn’t end too well hahaha

Nickman's love of NSW
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Meanwhile, I just finished the Telltale GoT game... my choices didn’t end too well hahaha
They don’t no matter what you do

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I'd have been fine with the ending if they had taken their time and reached those conclusions. I mean, they are not necessarily the endings that I would have chosen for those characters, but I don't get to decide. It was all to rushed. I read somewhere (maybe here) that GRRM originally wanted 13 seasons to tell his story. The DDs wanted 7. They compromised with 8, the last two of which where abridged. Says it all really. It's a shame because it put a dampener on what was otherwise a brilliant series.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Rickman wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Meanwhile, I just finished the Telltale GoT game... my choices didn’t end too well hahaha
They don’t no matter what you do

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah, but in the end I made some choices I was like “Man, should have went the other way.”

I played with cunning apparently, which is how 29% of the players did, so that was interesting.

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 25, 2019, 12:31 pm I'd have been fine with the ending if they had taken their time and reached those conclusions. I mean, they are not necessarily the endings that I would have chosen for those characters, but I don't get to decide. It was all to rushed. I read somewhere (maybe here) that GRRM originally wanted 13 seasons to tell his story. The DDs wanted 7. They compromised with 8, the last two of which where abridged. Says it all really. It's a shame because it put a dampener on what was otherwise a brilliant series.
100% Mad Dany, Jon back to establish the Night's Watch, Queen Sansa, Bran on the Throne... that's all a perfectly fine ending, like you some of that is not how i saw it going but that all on the face of it makes sense... if you took the time to do it right. They just didnt because the DD's rushed it.

Still im going to miss this show, im going to miss thinking about it and theorising about it. It's been a great ride.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

PigRickman wrote:Still im going to miss this show, im going to miss thinking about it and theorising about it. It's been a great ride.
What’s the next show you’re into now? I’ve just caught up on Chernobyl. It’s great, but you can’t really discuss and theories about it the way you can with GoT.
I’m doubting we’ll be covering off plot holes of a nuclear meltdown

Nickman's love of NSW
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 26, 2019, 10:15 pm
PigRickman wrote:Still im going to miss this show, im going to miss thinking about it and theorising about it. It's been a great ride.
What’s the next show you’re into now? I’ve just caught up on Chernobyl. It’s great, but you can’t really discuss and theories about it the way you can with GoT.
In terms of a reaction though, you won't get many bigger.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

BadnMean wrote:
In terms of a reaction though, you won't get many bigger.
You’re fission for a laugh aren’t you?

Nickman's love of NSW
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

As a younger man isotope to do that, but not anymore.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah we just blasted through the the first three eps of Chernobyl too
Really **** great show

But yeah not quite the wide ranging story with character development haha
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

I had never been up to date from around the end of season 5 up until the finale, so now that it's over I've been able to look up GoT related things without fear of spoilers and it's been great gaining a better understanding on the Targaryens, Dornes, Brandon Rivers, the Night King, Children of the Forrest, the actual Wars of the Roses, fan theories and even things from ages ago I'd forgotten about like Craster etc. to have a clearer idea on how the story ties together. Now that I understand it better it's left me wanting more and I know that spin offs are coming but spin offs are usually ****

Also been interesting to find out some of the foreshadowing
S7E4 When Arya and Brienne spar there's a moment where Arya loses needle and starts using the dagger.
Brienne grabs Arya's dagger holding arm so Arya switches it from one hand to the other, like she does against NK

That fight scene also shows lots of snippets from different influences who had molded orphan Arya
Ned, Yoren, Tywin, Sandor, Jaqen/Waif, Syrio

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

PigRickman wrote:
Yeah we just blasted through the the first three eps of Chernobyl too
Really **** great show

But yeah not quite the wide ranging story with character development haha
Yeah I’m loving it too. I just watch scenes where they’re all “We need 3 people to go into that water and turn these taps off, otherwise 3/4 of Europe are going to die...”

Meanwhile I’m like “Well, I’ve been to these countries at risk, and they’re still there, so they must’ve done the job.”

These miners so far, they’re the MVP

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Haha yeah it takes a little bit away from the story when you hear the stakes and you’re like “well that clearly didn’t happen so I guess they got it done?”