Game of Thrones Season 8 *Spoilers*

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 *Spoilers*

Post by greeneyed »

BTW... didn't the wall fall? So how come it was back standing?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Except that he was Westoros's worst war time strategist, marched into the throng of the North and was saved only because Sansa saved his ****, then paired up with Dany, was too stupid to lie to Cersei about his situation and impeded any chance of Lannister support for the Battle against the Dead... and then in the battle of the dead, his plan was completely ****, and he was largely useless... and then he supported a tyrant despite all warning signs and watched her torch a city of men, women and children for no reason and still defended her...

He and Tyrion saw this a long time out and didnt have the courage to do **** about it despite being offered many chances to do so. They're compromised. Jon did always do the right thing, but always too late and at the cost of countless lives.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Yeah, but apart from all that, he was basically good and did the right thing in the end.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

What happened to the dothraki. Why didn't the unsullied seek vengeance? What the hell is the role of the nights watch? How did Sam become a Maester so quickly?

The first half of the episode was tense. Once Dany got knifed, it was a bit meh.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Dr Zaius wrote:What happened to the dothraki. Why didn't the unsullied seek vengeance? What the hell is the role of the nights watch? How did Sam become a Maester so quickly?

The first half of the episode was tense. Once Dany got knifed, it was a bit meh.
Dothraki: I think they assimilated. They could be seen chilling around the wharf when Jon was being shipped off.

Unsullied: They did. They wanted Jon dead, but Tyrian talked them out of it

Nights Watch: I think it’s in title only, and was just their way to get him out and free. I feel like Bran knew Tormund would be there waiting for Jon. Besides, the North is independent, and the Unsullied are no longer in Westeros. Sansa could easily pardon Jon and let him settle in the North if he wanted.

Sam: I think based on the stuff he’s seen, and his friends in high places, he was able to rise the ladder quickly
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:What happened to the dothraki. Why didn't the unsullied seek vengeance? What the hell is the role of the nights watch? How did Sam become a Maester so quickly?

Dothraki: I think they assimilated. They could be seen chilling around the wharf when Jon was being shipped off.

Nights Watch: I think it’s in title only, and was just their way to get him out and free. I feel like Bran knew Tormund would be there waiting for Jon. Besides, the North is independent, and the Unsullied are no longer in Westeros. Sansa could easily pardon Jon and let him settle in the North if he wanted.

Sam: I think based on the stuff he’s seen, and his friends in high places, he was able to rise the ladder quickly
The first two are dumb. Dothraki have never assimilated. Why would they when you murder their queen. I why didn't the unsullied go on a murderous rampage before the Kings moot. Their queen was killed. I'm not buying it.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Dr Zaius wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:

The first two are dumb. Dothraki have never assimilated. Why would they when you murder their queen. I why didn't the unsullied go on a murderous rampage before the Kings moot. Their queen was killed. I'm not buying it.
The Dothraki historically just move on to the next strongest leader when their Khal dies. Look at the way they moved on from Drogo without hesitation.

Unsullied, there was that whole chat at the council about the North being at the wall ready to attack if they murdered Jon.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

greeneyed wrote:But the Night's Watch is pretty much not there/doing nothing (there didn't really seem to be anyone much there). And he went off, leading the Wildlings to a new life in "Scotland". Not sure how they can tell him not to find a new partner or have children... Well that's how I interpreted it anyway.

Breaks my heart to see Jon banished in that way. And even though he kills Dany... well, he was just saving the world once again from another deluded tyrant. He might not be perfect, but he was one of the few basically good characters.
He’s been set free. For all the people who want to break wheels, and have true freedom, the Wildlings are the only ones who have nailed the concept.

I felt Tyrian saying that stuff about not finding a partner was just talk, because it needed to be said. He’s free, and is now king of the true north, he can do whatever.

Nickman's love of NSW
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

What a massive anticlimax of a season. By the last episode there were 0 **** given. I suspected this season would always have problems pleasing people. I did not expect it would suck.

Disappointing.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I thought it was great. It is a show where the expectations are so high...

What did people want instead?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

greeneyed wrote:I thought it was great. It is a show where the expectations are so high...

What did people want instead?

Nickman's love of NSW
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:

The Dothraki historically just move on to the next strongest leader when their Khal dies. Look at the way they moved on from Drogo without hesitation.

Unsullied, there was that whole chat at the council about the North being at the wall ready to attack if they murdered Jon.
It was a power vacuum. The dothraki aren't going to sit around knitting. They are going to rape and pillage. And like the unsullied give two **** about 1000 northmen at the gait. Their queen was murdered. They'd be pissed.
the bone
John Ferguson

Game of Thrones Season 8 *Spoilers*

Post by the bone »

Potential spoilers below...

Considering the **** show that was episode 5, I was pleasantly surprised and satisfied by the finale. Feels to me like the writers came up with the ending and then worked out how to get there, which is why there were so many character arcs that felt rushed or changed course with no explanation. Martin’s way of building the story and letting the narrative naturally evolve is so much better, but obviously there’s a lot less constraints in literary form vs tv.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Dr Zaius wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:

It was a power vacuum. The dothraki aren't going to sit around knitting. They are going to rape and pillage. And like the unsullied give two **** about 1000 northmen at the gait. Their queen was murdered. They'd be pissed.
Well... who is left alive that speaks Dothraki? Maybe they don’t know, and are assuming she’s just rocking it out on the throne?

I dunno.

Nickman's love of NSW
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

The Rickman wrote:I just hope there's a nice **** twist to finish it, something unexpected.

I'll be majorly pissed if it's just Dany is evil now and Jon Snow kills her to become King and unite the seven kingdoms. Blech!
Well, that was absolutely **** ****.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:

I agree with you 100%, these things are ridiculous. The unsullied almost killed Jon for stopping them kill innocent prisoners, you telling me they did NOTHING when he murdered Dany is cold blood?

**** off and **** off now. What a terrible ending in any way, shape or form

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

You know what I’m going to miss? I’ve enjoyed TheGH chats and analysis about this show and Endgame. We need to rally behind a new show to discuss.

Any suggestions for the next one?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Nickman's love of NSW
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Rickman wrote: May 21, 2019, 8:47 am
I agree with you 100%, these things are ridiculous. The unsullied almost killed Jon for stopping them kill innocent prisoners, you telling me they did NOTHING when he murdered Dany is cold blood?

The whole sequence after Drogon flew off with Dany's body felt like it was skipped. It jumped straight to Tyrion being taken to the council of nobles. No explanation whatsoever about why Jon wasn't cut down on the spot or even where he explained to everyone what happened. After a fantastic scene they managed to kill off all tension by cutting straight to a talkfest. It was like watching Raiders score a spectacular length of the field try then spilling the ball on the following kickoff and letting the opposition score.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:
The Rickman wrote: May 21, 2019, 8:47 am

The whole sequence after Drogon flew off with Dany's body felt like it was skipped. It jumped straight to Tyrion being taken to the council of nobles. No explanation whatsoever about why Jon wasn't cut down on the spot or even where he explained to everyone what happened. After a fantastic scene they managed to kill off all tension by cutting straight to a talkfest. It was like watching Raiders score a spectacular length of the field try then spilling the ball on the following kickoff and letting the opposition score.
And why did everyone listen to Tyrion, who was a prisoner? And how in the **** did they rebuild King’s Landing in what couldn’t have been more than a couple of months? What a truly **** awful episode

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

You can’t tell me anybody acknowledges Bronn being the new lord of Highgarden just based on Tyrion’s word because he threatened to murder him? And how is Sam now a maester?? What the ****?!?

And the three eyed raven is now the king of Westeros? And if the North has seceded, why in the **** **** didn’t the other five kingdoms go “yeah, **** this, I’m out of here too!”

What an absolutely hot mess of garbage

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It does seem weird that the north just seceded and not even Dorne is like “yeah we want in on that **** too”
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

what's the North version of Brexit?.. WithdrawNorth?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 21, 2019, 9:36 am You know what I’m going to miss? I’ve enjoyed TheGH chats and analysis about this show and Endgame. We need to rally behind a new show to discuss.

paw patrol?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Sid wrote: May 21, 2019, 10:10 am
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 21, 2019, 9:36 am You know what I’m going to miss? I’ve enjoyed TheGH chats and analysis about this show and Endgame. We need to rally behind a new show to discuss.

paw patrol?
A couple of contenders later this year.

The Witcher on Netflix is one I'm looking forward too. It would be the closest in style to GoT but not so much an epic tale than a series of adventures. Showrunners may convert the stories to create an overriding plotline as well. We'll have to see.

The Mandalorian set in the Star Wars universe. Its set post Return of the Jedi and follows a Boba Fett like character. Pedro Pascal in the main role is a huge plus. Being part of the Disney run Star Wars program is a minus.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote: May 21, 2019, 10:02 am It does seem weird that the north just seceded and not even Dorne is like “yeah we want in on that **** too”
Also, they seceded literally SECONDS after installing a Stark on the throne... why the hell was nobody else like, "Hey, what in the actual ****?"

What a poorly contrived and written absolute load of rubbish.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: May 21, 2019, 10:49 am
PigRickman wrote: May 21, 2019, 10:02 am It does seem weird that the north just seceded and not even Dorne is like “yeah we want in on that **** too”
Also, they seceded literally SECONDS after installing a Stark on the throne... why the hell was nobody else like, "Hey, what in the actual ****?"

Yeah, that part had me crinkling the brow a bit. Its like "sorry but the North will only be ruled by a Stark and we will not bow to the Stark that you've placed on the throne."

Bran is the rightful lord of Winterfell and he's been given the keys to the 7 Kingdoms. The North should be basking in such a coup.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: May 21, 2019, 10:54 am

Yeah, that part had me crinkling the brow a bit. Its like "sorry but the North will only be ruled by a Stark and we will not bow to the Stark that you've placed on the throne."

Bran is the rightful lord of Winterfell and he's been given the keys to the 7 Kingdoms. The North should be basking in such a coup.
Has Jon deserted the Night's Watch after being sent to the Wall as punishment? Does anyone even have the magic to fix the big **** hole in the wall?? **** off
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: May 21, 2019, 10:55 am

Has Jon deserted the Night's Watch after being sent to the Wall as punishment? Does anyone even have the magic to fix the big **** hole in the wall?? **** off
Nah, he's not desered. Just out ranging. Can easily explain that one away if somebody checks in on him.

Not worried about the big hole in The Wall at Eastwatch. The Wall itself is obselete. I can only assume it will become a tourist attraction and the Nights Watch will be putting on regular renactments of past battles for visitors.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: May 21, 2019, 11:02 am
The Rickman wrote: May 21, 2019, 10:55 am

Nah, he's not desered. Just out ranging. Can easily explain that one away if somebody checks in on him.

Not worried about the big hole in The Wall at Eastwatch. The Wall itself is obselete. I can only assume it will become a tourist attraction and the Nights Watch will be putting on regular renactments of past battles for visitors.
Jon's portrayal of the NK, in their recreation of the Battle of Winter leaves a lot to be desired
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I'm still too furious about this to be cracking jokes
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

So fixing the wheel etc... they kind of glossed over who chooses the next King after Bran is dead. Was it just "oh we all choose him"- in which case, the minute Bran dies, they don't agree on who is next, secede from the Seven (Six? Five?) Kingdoms and all back their own rival claimants to rule everyone again? Ok.

Or does Bran rule forever as an omniscient, all knowing, immortal god being?

Stay tuned for New Horizons, Arya's Adventures in the New World.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

For me the only real saving grace of the ending, and the further i get away from it the more annoyed and angry i get about it... but the one thing i find myself liking is that the wheel didnt get broken, the realm went through a lot of ****, A LOT! It had walkers, and dragons, and kings and queens dying and vying for power... and in the end, we just got another dude on the throne with petty squabling about the how to administer the realm and ultimately nothing changed and no one was wiser or any better for it and the realm will be united until such time as it isnt and we'll have another war of Kings.

Which i dont mind.
I dont mind that we went through all of this and the world was not a better place for it.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Why would whoever holds Highgarden allow it to just be given to Bronn? There’s no **** WAY that happens

“Yeah nah, **** that, the Reach secedes too, we’ve had just as much **** happen to us as the North.”

“Yeah, in that case Dorne is out too, you crazy **** have killed most of our royal line!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

George R. R. Martin has said that the books are going to end the same way as the TV series... So maybe the details are different... and sure there are plot holes... but it is still going to end up with Jon killing Dany, Bran on the throne, Sansa Queen in the North. Isn't it?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:George R. R. Martin has said that the books are going to end the same way as the TV series... So maybe the details are different... and sure there are plot holes... but it is still going to end up with Jon killing Dany, Bran on the throne, Sansa Queen in the North. Isn't it?
I think Dany will still burn King’s Landing, and maybe the North will end up independent... that’s about it

The way we get there is going to be totally different. It’s probably not even Cersei holding KL when Daenerys gets there, it’s probably fAegon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk