Game of Thrones Season 8 *Spoilers*

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 *Spoilers*

Post by Northern Raider »

The Rickman wrote: May 21, 2019, 1:34 pm Why would whoever holds Highgarden allow it to just be given to Bronn? There’s no **** WAY that happens

“Yeah nah, **** that, the Reach secedes too, we’ve had just as much **** happen to us as the North.”

“Yeah, in that case Dorne is out too, you crazy **** have killed most of our royal line!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who did hold Highgarden? The Tyrells were cleaned out. It was effectively taken over by team Lannister. We really don't know what happened after that. It wasn't made clear that it was handed to Randall Tarly although that would have been logical. In which case Sam Tarly would be the successor. This is one of the loose ends of the plot. Given the time between Jaime giving Olenna Tyrell the poison and the time of Kings Landing being sacked its hard to imagine the place had been vacant.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

We’ll find out more about the Children of the Forest, who the White Walkers are and why they’re here, Dorne will be more than just a discarded subplot that was thrown out for convenience’s sake, there’ll be a legitimate buildup and reason for Dany to go “Mad Queen”, Euron Greyjoy won’t just be a poor man’s Captain Jack Sparrow, Howland Reed will actually have some relevance to the story, Bronn will pay a MUCH lesser role (and thank god), obviously Catlyn Stark has a bigger role to play (meaning Beric Dondarrion doesn’t) and I really don’t think Jon Snow is getting out of the series alive

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:
The Rickman wrote: May 21, 2019, 1:34 pm Why would whoever holds Highgarden allow it to just be given to Bronn? There’s no **** WAY that happens

“Yeah nah, **** that, the Reach secedes too, we’ve had just as much **** happen to us as the North.”

“Yeah, in that case Dorne is out too, you crazy **** have killed most of our royal line!”

Who did hold Highgarden? The Tyrells were cleaned out. It was effectively taken over by team Lannister. We really don't know what happened after that. It wasn't made clear that it was handed to Randall Tarly although that would have been logical. In which case Sam Tarly would be the successor. This is one of the loose ends of the plot. Given the time between Jaime giving Olenna Tyrell the poison and the time of Kings Landing being sacked its hard to imagine the place had been vacant.
Whoever is next in line. You can’t tell me the whole Tyrell line and all of their relations were wiped out! There’s no **** way they can just “hand it over” to Bronn without some form of rebellion, and why would anyone agree to that anyway?

It’s the stupidest **** part of the finish and that’s a big call!

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Also, how was Highgarden handed to Randyl Tarly when he was burned alive literally minutes after the Lannisters took it??

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: May 21, 2019, 1:55 pm Also, how was Highgarden handed to Randyl Tarly when he was burned alive literally minutes after the Lannisters took it??

It wasn't. At least not in the show (that I remember). I was working on an assumption the Tarlys assumed control of Highgarden after it was taken by the Lannister army (along with the Tarly army). Would have been part of the deal for that new alliance.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: May 21, 2019, 2:00 pm
The Rickman wrote: May 21, 2019, 1:55 pm Also, how was Highgarden handed to Randyl Tarly when he was burned alive literally minutes after the Lannisters took it??

It wasn't. At least not in the show (that I remember). I was working on an assumption the Tarlys assumed control of Highgarden after it was taken by the Lannister army (along with the Tarly army). Would have been part of the deal for that new alliance.
It absolutely was. Daenerys ambushed and destroyed the Lannister army on their way back to King's Landing after taking Highgarden. That's when Tarly was burned.

Honestly, Bronn being given Highgarden is the worst plotline of a really awful bunch.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: May 21, 2019, 2:19 pm

It absolutely was. Daenerys ambushed and destroyed the Lannister army on their way back to King's Landing after taking Highgarden. That's when Tarly was burned.

Honestly, Bronn being given Highgarden is the worst plotline of a really awful bunch.
I know what happened to Randall and Dickon Tarly on the way back from Highgarden. I just don't recall anywhere that Randall Tarly was declared the new lord of Highgarden prior to that. We know he was involved in the taking of Highgarden and we know he got BBQ'd by a dragon on the way back from there. Those are not in dispute.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: May 21, 2019, 1:48 pm
greeneyed wrote:George R. R. Martin has said that the books are going to end the same way as the TV series... So maybe the details are different... and sure there are plot holes... but it is still going to end up with Jon killing Dany, Bran on the throne, Sansa Queen in the North. Isn't it?
I think Dany will still burn King’s Landing, and maybe the North will end up independent... that’s about it

The way we get there is going to be totally different. It’s probably not even Cersei holding KL when Daenerys gets there, it’s probably fAegon

yeah i agree... i think the North independence and Mad Queen Dany are very much in play.
I dont think Bran ends up on the throne in the books.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Well SOMEBODY would've inherited Highgarden, there's probably at least a year between it being taken by the Lannisters and King's Landing falling, probably more. And whoever currently holds the seat is going to be pretty pissed off with "Here, we're now giving this to this guy because he once threatened Tyrion Lannister with a crossbow."

It's absolutely ludicrous.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I'm looking forward to the books even more now so some of this can start to make sense.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote: May 21, 2019, 2:35 pm
The Rickman wrote: May 21, 2019, 1:48 pm
greeneyed wrote:George R. R. Martin has said that the books are going to end the same way as the TV series... So maybe the details are different... and sure there are plot holes... but it is still going to end up with Jon killing Dany, Bran on the throne, Sansa Queen in the North. Isn't it?
I think Dany will still burn King’s Landing, and maybe the North will end up independent... that’s about it

The way we get there is going to be totally different. It’s probably not even Cersei holding KL when Daenerys gets there, it’s probably fAegon

yeah i agree... i think the North independence and Mad Queen Dany are very much in play.
I dont think Bran ends up on the throne in the books.
In the books we'll get to understand what exactly the three-eyed raven's purpose is, and how he's a link between the Children of the Forest, men, and even the White Walkers. In the books he's introduced as Brynden Rivers, who is actually a legitimised Targaryen bastard, who was very significant in many events in Westerosi history, I think he was involved in the Blackfyre Rebellions, and was even a Lord Commander of the Night's Watch from memory.

And while I'm typing, whatever happened to Benjen Stark in the show?? One minute he was moonlighting as Coldhands from the books, but we never find out why or what his purpose was!!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: May 21, 2019, 2:40 pm I'm looking forward to the books even more now so some of this can start to make sense.
Absolutely. They just simultaneously massacred every single plotline in the series in an attempt to get to an endpoint. It's very unsatisfying.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Benjen Stark/Coldhands was last seen rescuing Jon after he escaped the NK Army when they captured the wight... he was about to be over run by wights, and then Benjen shows up, gives jon his horse and sends it to castle black (?) and then started taking on Wights

I think we're to assuming he was taken down. As for his purpose or how he came to be Coldhands? No idea. haha
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote: May 21, 2019, 2:48 pm Benjen Stark/Coldhands was last seen rescuing Jon after he escaped the NK Army when they captured the wight... he was about to be over run by wights, and then Benjen shows up, gives jon his horse and sends it to castle black (?) and then started taking on Wights

I think we're to assuming he was taken down. As for his purpose or how he came to be Coldhands? No idea. haha
Ah yeah, that's right... he gives Jon his horse and then his arc is ended by fighting the wights.

In the books apparently Coldhands isn't Benjen, so I'll be keen to know where Benjen is too. And WHAT Coldhands actually is.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Northern Raider wrote: May 21, 2019, 2:34 pm
The Rickman wrote: May 21, 2019, 2:19 pm

I know what happened to Randall and Dickon Tarly on the way back from Highgarden. I just don't recall anywhere that Randall Tarly was declared the new lord of Highgarden prior to that. We know he was involved in the taking of Highgarden and we know he got BBQ'd by a dragon on the way back from there. Those are not in dispute.
I thought the Lannisters + Bronn wiped out everyone when they took Highgarden? There was that chat afterwards between Bronn and Jamie where Bronn was going on about his castle. He pointed towards Highgarden and said "That one's empty now, I'll take that one."

Apart from Jamie shooting the idea down, I don't remember it actually being given to anyone, so I've just assumed it was empty.

It's a bit of a leap making Bronn Master of Coin as well. Dude didn't understand how loans worked a couple of years ago.

I do agree with the council, and how not one **** was given when Sansa announced they were running independent. I was waiting for the rest of the group to be all "Wait... that's an option?"
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 21, 2019, 2:57 pm I do agree with the council, and how not one **** was given when Sansa announced they were running independent. I was waiting for the rest of the group to be all "Wait... that's an option?"
"Ummm, you're installing a Stark as King and then declaring independence? I don't **** think so!"
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 21, 2019, 2:57 pm
I thought the Lannisters + Bronn wiped out everyone when they took Highgarden? There was that chat afterwards between Bronn and Jamie where Bronn was going on about his castle. He pointed towards Highgarden and said "That one's empty now, I'll take that one."

Apart from Jamie shooting the idea down, I don't remember it actually being given to anyone, so I've just assumed it was empty.

It's a bit of a leap making Bronn Master of Coin as well. Dude didn't understand how loans worked a couple of years ago.

I do agree with the council, and how not one **** was given when Sansa announced they were running independent. I was waiting for the rest of the group to be all "Wait... that's an option?"
seems to be how things work in politics and the workforce though
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

But that's not what George R. R. Martin is on the public record as saying?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: May 21, 2019, 3:19 pm But that's not what George R. R. Martin is on the public record as saying?
Who are you responding to??
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

The Rickman wrote: May 21, 2019, 3:03 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 21, 2019, 2:57 pm I do agree with the council, and how not one **** was given when Sansa announced they were running independent. I was waiting for the rest of the group to be all "Wait... that's an option?"
"Ummm, you're installing a Stark as King and then declaring independence? I don't **** think so!"
Also, you have a Stark "Banished" to Castle Black to effectively become the new king north of the wall, and you've most likely funded your sister's Contiki tour disguised as a Magellenesque fact finding mission.

It's a move from the Furner playbook
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: May 21, 2019, 3:20 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 21, 2019, 3:19 pm But that's not what George R. R. Martin is on the public record as saying?
A conversation he was having with himself
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: May 21, 2019, 3:44 pm
The Rickman wrote: May 21, 2019, 3:20 pm
A conversation he was having with himself
I was responding to Nickman.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Well could you quote me, please? What's he on public record as saying?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

If it's George RR Martin's comments on the ending you're asking about, then these comments were released today, so make of them what you will.

https://news.yahoo.com/george-rr-martin ... 02307.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It was this I was reading, but that's interesting too!

“The major points of the ending will be things I told them five or six years ago,” Martin told Rolling Stone in March, before Game of Thrones’ final season debuted. So it seems safe to say that Daenerys’s turn to raining fire and blood down on King’s Landing and her subsequent murder by Jon are part of his plan to end his novels.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/5/20/1 ... got-ending
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

I hated it. I hated it so damn much. It ruined it for me. It was such a garbage finale
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: May 21, 2019, 6:14 pm It was this I was reading, but that's interesting too!

“The major points of the ending will be things I told them five or six years ago,” Martin told Rolling Stone in March, before Game of Thrones’ final season debuted. So it seems safe to say that Daenerys’s turn to raining fire and blood down on King’s Landing and her subsequent murder by Jon are part of his plan to end his novels.

Given that he's not finished writing the ending we can assume anything is possible. No doubt he will be aware of the negative responses to some aspects of the TV series plot. I'd expect his version to be fleshed out considerably more and won't have so many questions or loose ends. I'd still expect the main components to remain e.g. Night King gets a dragon, Arya kills the Night King, Dany goes Mad Queen and trashes Kings Landing, Jon kills her afterwards. Outside of that I wouldn't even try to guess.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think Bran will be King and the North will be free as well. And I think Jon will be banished. Just how that happens is another thing.

But clearly Martin told the producers what was going to happen in his mind.

I'm not surprised Dany finally became consumed by evil, and Jon had to stop her BTW. Because Jon is fundamentally good, he always chooses the right thing in the end.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: May 21, 2019, 8:14 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 21, 2019, 6:14 pm It was this I was reading, but that's interesting too!

Given that he's not finished writing the ending we can assume anything is possible. No doubt he will be aware of the negative responses to some aspects of the TV series plot. I'd expect his version to be fleshed out considerably more and won't have so many questions or loose ends. I'd still expect the main components to remain e.g. Night King gets a dragon, Arya kills the Night King, Dany goes Mad Queen and trashes Kings Landing, Jon kills her afterwards. Outside of that I wouldn't even try to guess.
i 1000% believe the feedback and backlash of the show will help guide him with his writing... that is IF he ever does **** write again
**** fat useless ****
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

PigRickman wrote: May 21, 2019, 8:37 pm
Northern Raider wrote: May 21, 2019, 8:14 pm

i 1000% believe the feedback and backlash of the show will help guide him with his writing... that is IF he ever does **** write again
**** fat useless ****
Your last comment is the one of most concern. 70 years old and not in the best physical shape. clock is ticking.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I've got a nice bottle of wine that says he doenst release winds of winter before Christmas this year. A bet i made 2 years ago and felt insanely confident about.
I dont think at this point we're ever going to get a resolution in book format. Apparently GRRM has said he'd sooner burn his material than let someone else finish it... so we can sort of forget that.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I suspect we will never see another book.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: May 21, 2019, 9:07 pm I suspect we will never see another book.
yep, unfortunately i think thats going to be true.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I reckon we’ll see Winds, but not DoS.

Also, I think Dany still burns King’s Landing and Jon probably still kills her, but I sincerely hope Arya DOESN’T kill the Night King

That doesn’t even make any sense!

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I can picture Jon living the rest of his life in the far North like the HurlgoatHiker from YouTube

Still gutted Edmure Tully wasn’t given a shot at being the leader
Last edited by Sid on May 21, 2019, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine