Game of Thrones Season 7 *Spoilers*

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Game of Thrones Season 7 *Spoilers*

Post by Northern Raider »

Coming close to conclusion so safe to assume no more major characters will be introduced.

Question for the readers of the Song of Ice and Fire series. Which character written out of the TV series do you miss most?

I was kinda disappointed we never got to see Vargo Hoat and the Bloody Mummers.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

Northern Raider wrote:Coming close to conclusion so safe to assume no more major characters will be introduced.

Question for the readers of the Song of Ice and Fire series. Which character written out of the TV series do you miss most?

I'm disappointed they cut out the entire Lady Stoneheart plot line.

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Hard to say with Lady Stoneheart. Don't really know where that plot line was taking us. To be honest in the books I was a bit let down that Beric Dondarrion was replaced by a half rotting, cranky old woman who doesn't speak.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

For me it's the hidden dragon and Griff
To me that's way more interesting in terms of what It does for Varys character than anything
It makes his character make sense
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Pigman wrote:For me it's the hidden dragon and Griff
To me that's way more interesting in terms of what It does for Varys character than anything
thats an interesting one as 'young Griff' is actually the rightful Targaryen heir to the Iron Throne. Its likely to be a major component of the books to come. To be fair that plot tangent would have made the TV series more complicated than necessary.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote:
thats an interesting one as 'young Griff' is actually the rightful Targaryen heir to the Iron Throne. Its likely to be a major component of the books to come. To be fair that plot tangent would have made the TV series more complicated than necessary.
Yeah I understand why they didn't but I'd have liked it in there
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Would have saved Jorah from contracting Greyscale
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

EJ wrote:He's probably also Bran the Builder, who built the Wall and Winterfell.
Yeah, that's also part of the fan theory I read.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Pigman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
Yeah I understand why they didn't but I'd have liked it in there
Yeah, I miss that whole plotline too... right now they've taken Storm's End (the seat of the Baratheons) in the books, haven't they?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's right
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah, it's going to be interesting how that plays out in conjunction with what's going on in the TV series right now. Will the Lannisters still take Highgarden?? Who knows...
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Didn't really enjoy the books.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote:Yeah, it's going to be interesting how that plays out in conjunction with what's going on in the TV series right now. Will the Lannisters still take Highgarden?? Who knows...
I really really hope the books take a totally different road
I get that the ending will be the same but if the book can take a new road at least that'll keep the allure of maybe something different
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Northern Raider wrote:Coming close to conclusion so safe to assume no more major characters will be introduced.

Wasn't vargo hoat the guy that chopped of Jamie's hand?

Arianne martell is the character I miss from the books. The books do a much better job of showing the dornish perspective
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

the bone wrote:

Wasn't vargo hoat the guy that chopped of Jamie's hand?

Arianne martell is the character I miss from the books. The books do a much better job of showing the dornish perspective
Yes. He was substituted in the TV series for Locke. They covered off most of the key events at Harrenhal. Locke had a very different fate to Vargo Hoat however.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

dubby wrote:Didn't really enjoy the books.

I was bored out of my brains after reading the first one.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I've read most of the online dialogue post episode 3 and much comment has been about team Targaryen rapidly losing their allies with both Dorne and Highgarden now gone and the Unsullied stranded.

Question for me is what is the situation in Dorne? Elaria Sand was off to muster the army and march north prior to being intercepted and captured by Urine Greyjoy. Thing is the Dornish army still exists but nobody is leading them. Seems that all the Martells have been murdered and the Sandsnakes eliminated. WHo's now in charge down there and what role will they play?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

The leader of Dorne is still Price Doran isn't it? He hasn't died yet has he in the tv series

From memory he's old and sick or something, and opposed to going to war, but he may change his tune with what's happening.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Oh no, he's dead. Forget that. No idea who's in charge
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Gunna say, you must have slept through the part where Elaria Sand put a knife in Prince Doran's chest. :)

Admittedly the TV series went down a completely different path with the activities in Dorne compared to the books.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

The Nickman wrote:Oh no, he's dead. Forget that. No idea who's in charge
Are you talking about Albi or Manbush?

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I'd say they are going to totally and completely forget about Dorne
Which stinks
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

The show never pulled of any intrigue about Dorne to start with.

The best thing about Dorne got crushed in the Mountains' hands. And even that portrayal was an Inigo Montoya rip off.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah they've botched the entire Dorne side of things so I guess it makes sense to just cut the loses
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I guess they probably just didn't have the airtime to portray the Dorne storylines properly. Certainly nothing compared to the books.

Speaking of which, I started reading the books again last night. In the first few chapters I've ALREADY picked up things I never noticed previously.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah they've botched the entire Dorne side of things so I guess it makes sense to just cut the loses
CJR
Brett Mullins

Post by CJR »

So... mad queen?

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Pretty full on episode this week. First time we've seen the Dothraki in all out combat mode. When they were thundering down the hill and the dragon came out of the clouds I think a bit of pee came out of me.

Now it seems both sides are going to be a bit short of food for the coming war. The Highgarden gold was delivered to Kings Landing though so the Lannisters have secured the support of the Iron Bank, which also implies the Golden Company may enter the fray.
CJR
Brett Mullins

Post by CJR »

Northern Raider wrote:Pretty full on episode this week. First time we've seen the Dothraki in all out combat mode. When they were thundering down the hill and the dragon came out of the clouds I think a bit of pee came out of me.

Now it seems both sides are going to be a bit short of food for the coming war. The Highgarden gold was delivered to Kings Landing though so the Lannisters have secured the support of the Iron Bank, which also implies the Golden Company may enter the fray.
Where did they get the horses from though? Did I miss that?

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

CJR wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:Pretty full on episode this week. First time we've seen the Dothraki in all out combat mode. When they were thundering down the hill and the dragon came out of the clouds I think a bit of pee came out of me.

They shipped all the horses across with them. They made a point of showing the horses below deck in the closing scene of series 6.
CJR
Brett Mullins

Post by CJR »

Northern Raider wrote:
CJR wrote:

They shipped all the horses across with them. They made a point of showing the horses below deck in the closing scene of series 6.
Yeah I missed that then.

I am a little conflicted that they spent 6 seasons building Danys story arc about not needing violence to win power and not becoming like her father and yet here she is burning people alive. It's only saved in my opinion if they go full mad queen with her. If she tries to go back to being reasonable after that it's just ridiculous

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Did you see the preview for episode 5 that followed?
CJR
Brett Mullins

Post by CJR »

Northern Raider wrote:Did you see the preview for episode 5 that followed?
Bend the knee or die?

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

CJR wrote:
Bend the knee or die?

Yeah, basically offering mercy in return for fealty. She's been trotting out the "follow me or die" line for quite a while now to her perceived enemies. The exception is when she sees an oppressed minority, to which she wins loyalty through emancipation.
CJR
Brett Mullins

Post by CJR »

Northern Raider wrote:
CJR wrote:
Bend the knee or die?

Yeah, basically offering mercy in return for fealty. She's been trotting out the "follow me or die" line for quite a while now to her perceived enemies. The exception is when she sees an oppressed minority, to which she wins loyalty through emancipation.
True, though she kinda just blindsided the Lannister army without offering the choice of surrender. Not that they would have most likely but I guess in my head I had pictured her initially just attempting to intimidate everyone with the dragons and then move on to the fighting after being provoked. Instead she ends up having a couple of failed expeditions including getting the unsullied trapped and then straight into the live burning of the Lannisters.

Just seems like they're definitely building her up to make a drastic turn to a darker side. The preview with the part with Varys and Tyrion also seems to suggest they're not happy with her new direction either