The Video Game Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

The Video Game Thread

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I just realised that we don't have a Video Game thread here, so I figured I'd start one.
Getting a $65 JB Gift voucher for Kris Kringle this year at work. Looking at getting a PS3 game with that and trading LA Noire and Mafia 2. Debating what to get. I'm torn between the new Madden game, Skyrim or Uncharted 3.

Love Uncharted 3, but I know I'll finish it once and I'll be done. Skyrim sounds awesome, but I'm not a huge fan of 1st person games, but that's the only negative. Madden, can't think of any faults as yet, being a sports game it never gets old, but I have a few sports games as it is.

What do you guys think I should get? Any reviews? Any recent release games out?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Shezza »

I played the new Madden game on the weekend ... loved it... havent played any of the prior versions, but really enjoyed it. A lot better than the Rugby League games!!!

Doesn't have the attention to detail as NBA2K11, but game play was good.

When in doubt, go with Stick Cricket on the Ipad though ... makes many a flight enjoyable!!!
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
2013 'Nella Awards - Spite Day Winner
2013 'Nella Awards - Worst System (The Club)
Bag Raider
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Sticky

Post by Bag Raider »

Anyone got the COD and is on 360?

I finally get my internet connection relocated and seeing if anyone wants to party up later.

Add me "le aristocrat"
And that's the end of that chapter.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

The new Need for Speed looks ok it has to be better than the last one , that was crap and Im spewing I bought it.

Im not a fan of sporting games ( excluding boxing and UFC style ) , as I get bored with them very quickly , I have Madden 10 and only played it a handful of times.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Madden 12 is an excellent game, highly recommend it.
cliffbag
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Jack and Papa

Post by cliffbag »

Skyrim is amazeballs!
Also have madden and it's quite a bit of fun if you like sports games.
I haven't played any uncharted games but have heard good things. Also cod mw3 should be on the list.
My next game purchase will probably be mass effect 3 when it comes out.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Yeah, Skyrim is brilliant... and very, very big.

As far as value for money goes, you'll get a lot more playtime from Skyrim than the single-player portion of just about any other game out there. I've clocked up an absurdly unhealthy triple-digit playtime, and I think I might have just passed the 50% mark.

The main quest won't take anywhere near that long, but its the litany of side and faction quests that get you.
Dugan.Express
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Josh Dugan

Post by Dugan.Express »

Good thread.

Anyone got COD MW3, I'm thinking of getting it soon.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Dugan.Express wrote:Good thread.

Anyone got COD MW3, I'm thinking of getting it soon.

Yeah , Good game , I havent played it online yet though
mfraser09
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by mfraser09 »

I haven't got it yet, I am waiting until I get over battlefield 3 but since I started playing the online multiplayer mode of the game I can't see that happening for a while.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I have MW3.

Its exactly like MW2 but with more challenges and slightly different perks.

I love the Special Ops side of it, its a great change from Multiplayer.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

mfraser09 wrote:I haven't got it yet, I am waiting until I get over battlefield 3 but since I started playing the online multiplayer mode of the game I can't see that happening for a while.

I stopped playing BF3 to play COD MW3 now Im back into BF3.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Question for PS3 Battlefield 3 players.

During the nightwatch mission in SP mode I get to the point of going to the helicopter and the game crashes and comes up with a connection error , if Im connected or not.
Ive checked out some forums and it has happened to others but there doesnt seem to be a solution. I just did an update the other day.

Who else does this happen to and is there a solution?
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

About time we had a video game thread here. I've been playing Saints Row The Third for the last couple of weeks which is awesome, even though I've finished the main story there's still plenty to do. Also got WWE '12 the other day, I heard it was a big improvement on previous games and even though I'm not really into pro wrestling anymore I thought I'd give it a go, it's alright, most of the matches are fun rather than a choir like previous games but the main story mode kinda sucks and there aren't many improvements beyond the gameplay.

I might get Skyrim next payday, I was hoping for a cheap one from overseas to turn up on eBay but nothing below 70-something dollars was last I saw.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

On eBay, the best prices for games are either immediately upon release (when you can get it directly from Hong Kong where they're manufactured), or some good few months later from the UK.

The cheapest from the UK on eBay Australia at the moment is about $55 incl. shipping:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Elder-Scroll ... 4ab1d60f8c

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Elder-Scroll ... 336f63a8ea

It'll take a few weeks to get here, but the savings are there to be had if you're patient.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde

Post by Green_Hammock »

Thanks mate, usually I buy from hong kong or aussie gamers which sell for around $60 + free postage which is worth it if you want the game sooner. Couldn't find either earlier but thanks for the link, i'll buy that on payday.

Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

The Video Game Thread

Post by Brewdle »

http://Www.ozgameshop.com is ur best friend. Based in uk, free postage and games about half the cost of game/eb . Postage generally takes 7-10 days. Skyrim is about $65 at the moment, cod mw3 $60
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Finally getting a PS3
BrisbaneRaider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by BrisbaneRaider »

Does anyone else still have one of the original xbox 360's? If you do does it still work? Mine's been having problems for ages as it struggles to read the game disc so instead of saying "Play ......." it says "Open Tray". I used to be able to get around this just by giving a bit of a smack, but it doesn't do anything now. In hindsight hitting it probably wasn't the best solution, but I will probably need to go and buy one of the black xbox 360's now.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde

Post by Green_Hammock »

BrisbaneRaider wrote:Does anyone else still have one of the original xbox 360's? If you do does it still work? Mine's been having problems for ages as it struggles to read the game disc so instead of saying "Play ......." it says "Open Tray". I used to be able to get around this just by giving a bit of a smack, but it doesn't do anything now. In hindsight hitting it probably wasn't the best solution, but I will probably need to go and buy one of the black xbox 360's now.
I've had one of the core consoles for 2+ years now and it still works fine, although I've just gotten sick of the lack of space on my memory cards and other small issues and bought a used 250GB off eBay. Probably going to sell mine sometime soon after my new one arrives and see what I can get for it.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote:Finally getting a PS3

You wont regret it.

Ive always had playstations ( and megadrives )
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Xbox has updated their dashboard again.

I can now use my Xbox totally hands free and voice only thru the Kinect via voice only or using my hands. It's pretty cool!

The new Xbox 720 should be interesting.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde

Re: Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Green_Hammock »

dubby wrote:Xbox has updated their dashboard again.

I can now use my Xbox totally hands free and voice only thru the Kinect via voice only or using my hands. It's pretty cool!

Haha, awesome. I don't think i'll get kinect though, I have friends who have it and never use it.

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Raidersrawesome wrote:
yeh raiders wrote:Finally getting a PS3

You wont regret it.

Ive always had playstations ( and megadrives )
We still play PS2 at home and it's still awesome! Tiger Woods PGA 04, NRL 1 (most unpolished game ive ever played.. pretty much released as a draft copy.. we play it for it's comedy value over anything else..), GTA, Fifa 09 and Ponting 05 are still in use !

The Wii however, has been collecting dust since the day we opened it..

Have COD MW3 and Fifa 12 coming with the PS3 too
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde

Post by Green_Hammock »

I remember I got a Wii back in 07 as my first "next gen" console since the PS2, I got bored of it very quickly and traded it in + some cash for a 360 a year later.
dubby
Don Furner

Re: Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by dubby »

Green_Hammock wrote:

Haha, awesome. I don't think i'll get kinect though, I have friends who have it and never use it.

We haven't played a game on it for months, but it is handy now its a hands free operation, you can chat on Xbox live with others who have a Kinect. I often chat with a mate from Leeton via Kinect. Cheaper and easier than Skype or phone

Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

The Video Game Thread

Post by Brewdle »

Green_Hammock wrote:

sounds like us and our wii, been 12 months at least since we've touched it (and it was the last of the three consoles we got - before ps move and kinect came out spit was about trying the hands free thang)
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Yeah, Wii consoles are notorious for sitting there and gathering dust, there's just nothing good to play on them... at least not compared to the 'real' consoles.

I remember years ago when we got ours, my brother begged our parents for one, and we ended up getting one for Christmas. I was against it from the start, knowing that it would sit there unused, and of course, given how expensive they were, it counted as my Christmas present as well. :doubt:

Needless to say I was right, I haven't touched the thing in well over a year, and my brother plays it maybe once a month for an hour or so. I'll take my 360 any day.
Phoenix_Raider
David Grant

The Video Game Thread

Post by Phoenix_Raider »

Sterlk wrote:Yeah, Wii consoles are notorious for sitting there and gathering dust, there's just nothing good to play on them... at least not compared to the 'real' consoles.

I remember years ago when we got ours, my brother begged our parents for one, and we ended up getting one for Christmas. I was against it from the start, knowing that it would sit there unused, and of course, given how expensive they were, it counted as my Christmas present as well. :doubt:

Needless to say I was right, I haven't touched the thing in well over a year, and my brother plays it maybe once a month for an hour or so. I'll take my 360 any day.
I agree there aren't that many decent games compared to the other consoles but wii's are by far the easiest consoles to mod and the fact that I have over 140 games that I can load straight from my external hard drive (no more discs!!) certainly adds appeal for me personally :) that and the kids love the games.
RAIDERS MEMBER #5036
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

My wife bugged me for months for a wii. I didn't want one for the reasons mentioned above. I used to have a N64 and it was the same - great console crap games (aside from goldeneye). So I knew wii would be the same. We still play it regularly - ten pin bowling is fun over a few beers. I still have my original x-box which we only really use to watch dvd's. I haven't bothered to upgrade as I'm not a big gamer.

Whats the lowdown on the 720?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

I got bored with the Wii very quickly , it also just collects dust.
rolhai
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by rolhai »

I sold my dusty Wii + games for a ps3! It gets much more use and doubles as a dvd/bluetooth and usb player. If my hdr gives up the ghost soon then I will buy the playtv thing too!
1985/86: The last time we missed consecutive finals series.....Until STICKY
Phoenix_Raider
David Grant

The Video Game Thread

Post by Phoenix_Raider »

Any one want to sell me their dusty wii + accessories??
RAIDERS MEMBER #5036
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde

Post by Green_Hammock »

Who else has Xbox live? just got it the other day, add me "BDHairTrain" :)
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

harvey Norman are going to be selling games online , cheaper than what they sell in the shops.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/gamin ... 6228715224

Just had a look , the prices seem reasonable.

Skyrim 59 but 3.95 postage