Bruce Springsteen Appreciation Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

Jake
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Paul Vaughan

Bruce Springsteen Appreciation Thread

Post by Jake » April 19, 2011, 8:42 pm

The man deserves his own thread, in any forum. The bossman is my absolute idol. I hate to sound cliched, but his music changed my life.

I would love to talk about his music, any other diehards on the forum? Go!

P.S. If you only know "Born In The USA" and "Dancing In The Dark", please refrain from saying so. Or at the very least, ask for some recommendations :)

Stringer
John Ferguson

Re: Bruce Springsteen Appreciation Thread

Post by Stringer » April 19, 2011, 9:11 pm

I haven't thoroughly listened to every single song he's ever released like i have a number of other greats but from the albums i have listened to (Born in the U.S.A, Nebraska and Born to Run) i put him right up there with the most influential rock and rollers ever. I will ask for recommendations on further albums to get my hands onto?
A big thanks to Fistinz for the signature

Jake
Brett Mullins

Post by Jake » April 19, 2011, 9:33 pm

Those 3 albums are vastly different, which did you enjoy? I love Nebraska, songs like "Johnny 99" and "Reason To Believe" are just amazing examples of songwriting.

To be honest, I started at Born In The USA, then got his Essential collection, which is a good starting point. It's a lot to absorb, but it scratches the surface at least.

Definately acquire Darkness On The Edge Of Town. It was his follow up to Born To Run, and is truly amazing. Completely different moods, and his approach from songwriting went from "We're busting out of this town!" to "Nope, we're here forever."

I'd recommend The River, but it's a bit harder to get into straight away, being a double-cd. Definately more pop songs than his previous work though.

Hope that helped!

goodgolly

Post by goodgolly » April 20, 2011, 12:27 pm

Not sure he deserves his own thread in any forum but I must admit I am a fan of 'The Boss'.

Go back a bit further to albums like The Wild,The Innocent and The E Street Shuffle songs like 'Kittys Back' and 'Rosalita' Come Out Tonight.

His fist album Greetings from Asbury Park NJ contains the song Manfred Mann later made a more commercial hit 'Blinded By The Light'.

But more recent albums a few of songs I would recommend are

Racing In The Streets
Candy's Room
Because The Night
One Step Up
Tunnel of Love
Prove it all Night
Badlands
The Promised Land
Thunder Road
Jungleland

Stringer
John Ferguson

Post by Stringer » April 20, 2011, 4:30 pm

I loved all three of them but my favourite would be Born in the USA purely because of its energy, passion and that it has My Hometown on it, which would probably be my favourite Springsteen song. Cheers for the recommendations, i'll try and get around to tracking them down (fan of the disc) and then just let Bruce do his thing.

Bard
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: JD

Post by Bard » April 20, 2011, 6:25 pm

other than the old born in the usa..the only song i really know is the goast of old tom joad due to RATM covering it.

amazing song...anyone who doubts the influence springsteen has had on modern rock...watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzRbeHyIomk

Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome » April 21, 2011, 4:55 pm

mmm , like some of his stuff but not overly keen on the rest.

I tend to skip it when it comes on the Ipod

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders » April 21, 2011, 5:39 pm

He's got some absolutly golden songs..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJQgwqojirs

Jake
Brett Mullins

Post by Jake » April 21, 2011, 6:43 pm

His first two albums are harder to get into without hearing his later stuff in my opinion. Unless you like rich, complex, jazzy arrangements. I love 'Wild and the Innocent, especially "New York City Serenade" and "Kitty's Back". His performance of the latter at the Hammersmith in 78 (79?) is breathtaking.
Gus- wrote:other than the old born in the usa..the only song i really know is the goast of old tom joad due to RATM covering it.

amazing song...anyone who doubts the influence springsteen has had on modern rock...watch this video.

Love that version. It's also on the Magic Tour Highlights disc.
Stringer wrote:I loved all three of them but my favourite would be Born in the USA purely because of its energy, passion and that it has My Hometown on it, which would probably be my favourite Springsteen song. Cheers for the recommendations, i'll try and get around to tracking them down (fan of the disc) and then just let Bruce do his thing.
JB have basically all of his stuff. His live DVD's are more than worth the $10 they're usually going for these days, too.

Stringer
John Ferguson

Post by Stringer » April 21, 2011, 7:40 pm

Gus- wrote:other than the old born in the usa..the only song i really know is the goast of old tom joad due to RATM covering it.

I too only came across the ghost of old Tom Joad due to the ratm cover.

beetlejuice
David Furner
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by beetlejuice » April 27, 2011, 12:07 pm

Born in the USA is an absolute classic album!

in terms of songs though i much prefer Thunder road and some more of his later stuff over the individual song's on Born.... but as a collection on a album, fantastic!
Love the Raiders, Hate The NRL.

Stringer
John Ferguson

Post by Stringer » April 28, 2011, 1:38 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3n0BBW_GYs

If you've got time have a look at this. It was a good tv series. This segment on Springsteen i found was quite interesting.

Um Jammer Lammy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: David Milne

Post by Um Jammer Lammy » May 10, 2011, 9:17 pm

I read the title f this thread and came in here to post that version of Ghost Of Tom Joad with Tom Morello but I was beaten to it :)

Great tune, great performance.
Golden Boogs 2006: McLinden Award
Golden Boogs 2007: Personality of the Year

Jake
Brett Mullins

Post by Jake » June 19, 2011, 5:18 pm

R.I.P "Big Man" Clarence Clemons. Honestly, I can't see the E Street band touring or recording again. Very sad times.

david231280
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past - Laurie Daley
Current - Jarrod Croker

Post by david231280 » June 19, 2011, 6:45 pm

Sad day with that news. The greatest saxaphone player ever. I remember seeing him in his full glory at the SCG in 2003. Wasn't a bad concert with the exception Bruce kept talking about the war on terror.
Will miss you big man but i least I know he'll be in heaven playing his sax with Danny on keyboards

beetlejuice
David Furner
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by beetlejuice » June 19, 2011, 7:05 pm

sad day indeed. fantastic Musician.
Love the Raiders, Hate The NRL.

david231280
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past - Laurie Daley
Current - Jarrod Croker

Post by david231280 » June 19, 2011, 7:09 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya8Oh9UIQV4 - Edge of Glory
Clarence last piece of work.
With Lady Gaga on the finale of American Idol season 10
I listen to the song so i could hear his solo
The song too me sounded like Angry Andersen's Bound to Glory but no where near as good

Jake
Brett Mullins

Post by Jake » May 17, 2013, 3:50 pm

Bump.

I haven't bothered to look through the music thread, did anyone see him while he was in Australia? I went to the three Sydney shows. He would have to put on the best show in the world currently.

Chicka's shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chicka's shoe » May 17, 2013, 4:34 pm

like a bad laxative, he just don't move me you know? I'm keen on a few of his songs "Highway Patrolman" and "Ghost of Tom Joad" particularly. I really should like him, he ostensibly "up my alley" in terms of being a quality American songwriter and a great performer but, for some reason, he doesn't do it for me on the whole. I want to like him, but don't. I know it's sacrilege to believers but I don't like his band, too bombastic, not enough light and shade. I like Nebraska for the fact it doesn't have the E-Street Band squawking all over it.

Sorry for crapping in your thread, fellas, I can see why you like him, I just don't.

Travis
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Travis » June 21, 2013, 1:03 pm

I really like Nebraska; it's a great album. I'm actually listening to it at work right now! Have you heard Hank Williams III do Atlantic City? It's pretty cool. Nils Lofgren is a great guitarist. He did some awesome stuff with Neil in the '70s.

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders » June 21, 2013, 2:45 pm

My mate saw him recently in Sydney as well. I admire anyone at his age who can still pack out stadiums. Apparently his performances were still electric.

Jake
Brett Mullins

Post by Jake » July 5, 2013, 11:03 am

Chicka's shoe wrote:like a bad laxative, he just don't move me you know? I'm keen on a few of his songs "Highway Patrolman" and "Ghost of Tom Joad" particularly. I really should like him, he ostensibly "up my alley" in terms of being a quality American songwriter and a great performer but, for some reason, he doesn't do it for me on the whole. I want to like him, but don't. I know it's sacrilege to believers but I don't like his band, too bombastic, not enough light and shade. I like Nebraska for the fact it doesn't have the E-Street Band squawking all over it.

Sorry for crapping in your thread, fellas, I can see why you like him, I just don't.
A small blight on your usually stellar taste in music, Chicka! I'm happy to turn this into a Nebraska thread. It took me a LONG time but I am in love with it now. Flawless songwriting.