The Television Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: The Television Thread

Post by greeneyed »

Have got up to the end of Suits Season 2 and I’m still having fun watching it. It’s a pretty good show. Nothing too cerebral.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Think I made it to somewhere in 4. Don’t know how it lost it’s way so fast.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

the bone wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: October 29, 2020, 9:04 pm
gangrenous wrote:
Sid wrote:I'm a few episodes into DARK, wouldn't say I'm hooked on it yet
Same here Sid. Couple of episodes in and I’ve heard good things, but finding it hard to bring myself back and keep going.
Do yourselves a favour and push through. I get the same way, and I’m glad I saw it through.

There are times where you’ll find it drags, that you’ll have no idea what’s going on, and that you’re questioning all of your life choices, but there’s a point where it all clicks and you’ll be glad you persevered
Agreed with Fui, it’s worth persisting.
I have half an episode to go, the 2nd and 3rd season were much better than the first

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Sid wrote: November 23, 2020, 7:34 pm
the bone wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
Same here Sid. Couple of episodes in and I’ve heard good things, but finding it hard to bring myself back and keep going.
Do yourselves a favour and push through. I get the same way, and I’m glad I saw it through.

There are times where you’ll find it drags, that you’ll have no idea what’s going on, and that you’re questioning all of your life choices, but there’s a point where it all clicks and you’ll be glad you persevered
I have half an episode to go, the 2nd and 3rd season were much better than the first

Glad you persisted?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

the bone wrote:
gangrenous wrote:

Yeah glad you pushed through. You should be getting to the dropped penny moment soon which ties it up neatly
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

the bone wrote:
the bone wrote:
gangrenous wrote: Same here Sid. Couple of episodes in and I’ve heard good things, but finding it hard to bring myself back and keep going.

Glad you persisted?
Personally I’m glad I persisted.
It is a difficult series for me to recommend to many given how heckin confusing it is, the slow burn at the start and foreign films being a turnoff for many, but I enjoyed it.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Turns into a brain dead soap opera after a few seasons, unfortunately

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Yep I agree Dark is a difficult one to recommend given it wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea. I always preface my recommendation that it’s not for everyone and if you’re going to watch it you need to give it your undivided attention.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

the bone wrote: November 29, 2020, 5:55 am Yep I agree Dark is a difficult one to recommend given it wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea. I always preface my recommendation that it’s not for everyone and if you’re going to watch it you need to give it your undivided attention.
Has anyone had a time when a recommendation went horribly wrong? I recommended to an old colleague once 'Letter to Zachary' when we were discussing true crime documentaries. I said its up there with some of the best true crime doco's I've seen, but warned that it's a tough one to watch. I told her to make sure she was mentally prepared first, because after watching this, I needed to stop watching crime doco's for a bit to regather.

She came into work the following Monday, saying she didn't want to talk about it, and was mad at me for even recommending it in the first place.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: November 30, 2020, 10:56 am
the bone wrote: November 29, 2020, 5:55 am Yep I agree Dark is a difficult one to recommend given it wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea. I always preface my recommendation that it’s not for everyone and if you’re going to watch it you need to give it your undivided attention.
Has anyone had a time when a recommendation went horribly wrong? I recommended to an old colleague once 'Letter to Zachary' when we were discussing true crime documentaries. I said its up there with some of the best true crime doco's I've seen, but warned that it's a tough one to watch. I told her to make sure she was mentally prepared first, because after watching this, I needed to stop watching crime doco's for a bit to regather.

She came into work the following Monday, saying she didn't want to talk about it, and was mad at me for even recommending it in the first place.
Lol I don’t have anything quite like that. Though one time I recommended Ballers to a mate at work, and his wife, who also worked with us, was very unimpressed with the recommendation. I said to her I wasn’t recommending it for both of you!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:Have finished Season 4 of The Crown. No doubt, there are a lot of things in this show that are completely fictional... with reference to historical events. It has made for great television at times. It's has amazing production values.

Gillian Anderson, sadly, was mostly poor as Margaret Thatcher in this season... when previous actors have been outstanding in their roles of Prime Minister of the day. She never quite got over the impersonation phase, and it wasn't a good one. She should have done less impersonation and more genuine living of the role. She almost got there at times. Part of the problem for The Crown is that the closer it gets to modern times, the more we all remember the events personally. And we're probably harsher critics as a result.

This season was a reminder of how poorly Princess Diana was treated. No wonder the friends of Prince Charles are coming out of the woodwork to defend the gormless bloke. And he expects to be King of Australia (as a very low order of priority - it should be a low priority for us too). No doubt, Diana was not blameless. But she was a very young, impressionable woman, dragged into a horrible facade. Ultimately, the awful treatment she received from "the system" resulted in a premature death. The whole thing was very sad. Hopefully, her children can find a better way. I'm not sure either can.

The portrayal of Bob Hawke was embarrassing (for the show). The things "he" "said" in the show to Prince Charles were ridiculous. Not even Bob would have said that! But I guess that does emphasise that a lot of things in the show are done for dramatic effect and to synthesise a "feeling" of the time, or a viewpoint.

In any case, it has been a great show. I think there is one more season planned. Look forward to it.
I think that you're being a bit harsh on Gillian Anderson there GE. I thought that she was very good. Agreed about Bob Hawke.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:
greeneyed wrote: November 1, 2020, 5:46 pm Just finished The Queen’s Gambit on Netflix. Fantastic show. Surely one of the best of the year.
We just started it last night, 3 eps in. Loving it so far.
Gee that was a great show.

The production values alone were stunning.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Left a bit meh by mandalorian season 2, waited 11 months with so much to look forward to but didn't hit the real heights other than opening the door for spin-offs.

Last edited by bonehead on December 21, 2020, 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edrick The Entertainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Just finished binging The Undoing. It’s hard to judge. The non-courtroom scenes were great, the courtroom scenes were cheesy, and the final episode seemed rushed.

Would recommend, but don’t go expecting anything world changing. That said, I think it’s the best performance Hugh Grant has done

Nickman's love of NSW
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

I finished watching the end of Supernatural today. It may have outstayed its welcome, but I've been watching it for 15 years and I was damn well going to finish it!

Even though I'm glad it's finally done, the end still pulled on the heartstrings. I don't know whether its just because I'd been watching it for such a large part of my life, or whether they strategically 'manufactured' emotion with the music (and the music was omnipresent), but they got me regardless.

Goes to show how easy people are to emotionally manipulate. I don't know anybody who's seen it who wasn't saddened by that damn dog in the Futurama episode "Jurassic Bark". :lol:

Seymour! :cmon
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Sterlk wrote:I finished watching the end of Supernatural today. It may have outstayed its welcome, but I've been watching it for 15 years and I was damn well going to finish it!

Even though I'm glad it's finally done, the end still pulled on the heartstrings. I don't know whether its just because I'd been watching it for such a large part of my life, or whether they strategically 'manufactured' emotion with the music (and the music was omnipresent), but they got me regardless.

Goes to show how easy people are to emotionally manipulate. I don't know anybody who's seen it who wasn't saddened by that damn dog in the Futurama episode "Jurassic Bark". :lol:

Seymour! :cmon
Nice one, I just read the opening sentence and stopped in case of spoilers. We went back and started watching from Season 1 as sort of our final trip with the Winchesters. Been going since September and we just hit the halfway mark of Season 10

Nickman's love of NSW
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

There was no spoilers there.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Television Thread

Thanks mate, just re-read it. I agree, the show knows how to pull at the heart. We watched the ep where the Girls School puts on the Supernatural play. Their acapella version of Carry on my Wayward Son absolutely got me

I’m a bit worried, I’ve avoided spoilers, but the ending sounds like it’s a bit of a let down. On IMDB, most eps are rated in the 8s and 9s and the finale is 6.7 at the moment. Hoping it’s due to fans having higher expectations

Nickman's love of NSW
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

bonehead wrote:Left a bit meh by mandalorian season 2, waited 11 months with so much to look forward to but didn't hit the real heights other than opening the door for spin-offs with Ahsoka and Boba Fett.

Spoilers

I liked the series overall but thought there was too many filler episodes. The first three episodes were really good but it felt like they set it up as a long running series but then changed their mind. I think many people overrated it, which is understandable given the general reaction to episode 1 - 3 and 7 -9.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

gergreg wrote:
bonehead wrote:Left a bit meh by mandalorian season 2, waited 11 months with so much to look forward to but didn't hit the real heights other than opening the door for spin-offs.

Spoilers

I liked the series overall but thought there was too many filler episodes. The first three episodes were really good but it felt like they set it up as a long running series but then changed their mind. I think many people overrated it, which is understandable given the general reaction to episode 1 - 3 and 7 -9.

I'll go back and edit my original, apologies for spoilers.

I think the whole series vs movies feel is a bit unknown still here. Despite 16 episodes of 25 minutes I'd still prefer a 2hr movie.

Edrick The Entertainer
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: January 5, 2021, 10:49 am Thanks mate, just re-read it. I agree, the show knows how to pull at the heart. We watched the ep where the Girls School puts on the Supernatural play. Their acapella version of Carry on my Wayward Son absolutely got me

I’m a bit worried, I’ve avoided spoilers, but the ending sounds like it’s a bit of a let down. On IMDB, most eps are rated in the 8s and 9s and the finale is 6.7 at the moment. Hoping it’s due to fans having higher expectations
The finale isn't really 'the finale'. The second last episode is where the main plot wraps up and is effectively the end of the season (and probably where the whole show could have ended, quite easily). The last episode is a bit of a standalone farewell/aftermath kind of thing to send off the entire series.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Just started watching ’Your Honor’ on Stan

Only 2 eps into S1 but it’s good so far

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Vikings Season 6 Part 2 was on SBS tonight. More twists than Chubby Checker. Looking forward to next Wednesday night already.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

the bone wrote:
gangrenous wrote:

Well I persisted and it was definitely worth watching. Season 2 in particular.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The History of Swear Words on Netflix. Watch it (once the kids are in bed).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I finished watching Euphoria yesterday. It’s often disturbing, but the production and photography, the “look” is amazing, well worth watching. Impressive television. I know it been out for quite a while!
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

RedRaider wrote: January 6, 2021, 11:47 pm Vikings Season 6 Part 2 was on SBS tonight. More twists than Chubby Checker. Looking forward to next Wednesday night already.
Forgot to mention, these are all new episodes. If I say 'Beyond Bjorn Ironside' then fans will know what I am talking about.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Dr Zaius wrote:The History of Swear Words on Netflix. Watch it (once the kids are in bed).
Yeah I saw the preview of it last night. Added it to the watch list

Nickman's love of NSW
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:The History of Swear Words on Netflix. Watch it (once the kids are in bed).
It will be well worth your time and effort Fui my friend
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Is it an English, American or Australian show?

Shoving it in your face since 2017
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

gergreg wrote: January 11, 2021, 11:00 am
Dr Zaius wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:

American, hosted by Nick Cage

Nickman's love of NSW
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Another long running show comes to an end. Or at least, I just watched the last episode (it ended a little while back).

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD. So long, dead but not dead Phil Coulson, and co.

Coulson, Daisy/Skye and Fitz-Simmons - I miss them already. Some of my favourite MCU characters, right there - you form attachments over the years that you just don't get from 2hrs in a movie.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

I tried watching Season 1, but never got into it. Im thinking it might have been due to timing though. Had a few shows on the fly.

If the MCU really give it a red hot go, they are onto something if they give the TV Shows some proper love. I feel high quality TV Shows have overtaken films, Game of Thrones led the way there. You can tell more story in 12x 60 min weekly shows than 1x 3hr annual movie. They could even potentially do TV Shows with an all-in movie each year.

Any word on whether they're continuing with the shows previously on Netflix? Loved their telling of Daredevil and The Punisher

Nickman's love of NSW
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Nah, they're gone. I also liked the Netflix MCU shows, particularly Jessica Jones.

Marvel's new generation of TV is about to start coming through on Disney+, starting with WandaVision in a few days on Jan 15.

Don't know how the timing has held up due to coronavirus, but supposedly there's six(!) MCU TV shows coming out on Disney+ in 2021.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Ci ... ios_series
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gergreg wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:

Yes