The Television Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: The Television Thread

Post by greeneyed »

Two days after watching 13 reasons why... I'm still thinking about it. It has a powerful impact, not least because of the soundtrack, which is a just about perfectly selected to mirror the feelings of the characters and sets a real mood for the piece. I don't agree with those who are saying it somehow glorifies suicide, to the contrary. Nor do I agree with those saying that the sorts of things that happen don't happen in real life, because you see many of the attitudes expressed in the show in society everywhere today... and it reminded me in some ways of things that happened even when I was in school a long time ago.

But I can understand why it might be recommended that some young people watch it with parents... because it makes such an impact.

Anyway, the soundtrack is worth a listen, have it on repeat this morning.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I agree GE. I finished watching it a few weeks back and I still think about it. One of my mates is a high school teacher and I'm dying to catch up with them to get their opinion on the content.

Personally I think all teens need to watch this either with parents or at school.

I didn't see it as glorifying suicide, I've also seen people complain about how graphic the end was, but I think it was warranted. It wasn't glorifying, it showed how alone she was. How painful it was. How it wasn't some peaceful ending.

For me, it reminded me what it was like as a teen. I forget what it was like not to have privacy in my room! Not only that, but how easy it is for their small world to spiral out of control.

Also, thanks heaps for sharing that song! I've been trying to find it
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Good post Fui.

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I took the full first season of Westworld on my iPad to watch on my trip as there was a considerable amount of flying involved. I binged watched the last three episodes last night when I got home. It's fantastic, but takes a little while to process what the hell is going on. The orgy scene while on a flight was a little awkward though.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

-GD- wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Just got a free six month offer for Amazon. Worth taking up?
For sure!

American Gods, Man in the High Castle and Sneaky Pete are all great.
+1 for Man in the High Castle. Love the intro music, too

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Dr Zaius wrote:I took the full first season of Westworld on my iPad to watch on my trip as there was a considerable amount of flying involved. I binged watched the last three episodes last night when I got home. It's fantastic, but takes a little while to process what the hell is going on. The orgy scene while on a flight was a little awkward though.
I started watching that series on a flight last week, then stopped when I saw the eyes if the young girl sitting across from me out on stalks :D.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watching the latest series of House of Cards on Netflix. Back to its best. Some of the lines are classics.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote:Just watching the latest series of House of Cards on Netflix. Back to its best. Some of the lines are classics.
Haven't started watching it yet. I can't wait.

Just finished watching The Keepers on Netflix. It was weird. I felt like it kept backing and frothing a lot, and there were some very strange allegations being thrown around.

In the end, too many unanswered questions.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Anyone still putting themselves through Better Call Saul?
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Couldn't be bothered after the first few episodes.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

julian87 wrote:Anyone still putting themselves through Better Call Saul?
Yes, it is fantastic.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

And now Adam West has died. What a horrible two days. RIP Batman.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Yep just heard, he was a legend, love the way he could take the piss out of himself
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:And now Adam West has died. What a horrible two days. RIP Batman.

I bet it was caused by the poison that The Joker gave him in season 2.

Get Commissioner Gordon on the case.

Batman and the Goodies what great 70s entertainment for kids.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

RIP Adam West.

Loved ya on Family Guy...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watched the first episode of The Last Kingdom. It was very good. Seems to start with a version of the story in the old Kirk Douglas movie, The Vikings.
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Good series GE based on the Saxon Stories by Bernard Cornwell

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The best English historical fiction series ever. The TV series is fair, and grows a bit in the second series.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Damn season 1 of "American Gods" is over, thank **** it's been signed up for a 2nd season one of the best shows I've seen in a long long time.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
-GD-
Don Furner

Post by -GD- »

Manbush wrote:Damn season 1 of "American Gods" is over, thank **** it's been signed up for a 2nd season one of the best shows I've seen in a long long time.
1st season has been fantastic!
Brewdle
Brett Mullins

Post by Brewdle »

Bugger, didn't realise yesterday was the season final, guess I can ditch Amazon Prime now

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Have been watching "A Handmaid's Tale" on SBS On Demand. Confronting television, no doubt.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:Have been watching "A Handmaid's Tale" on SBS On Demand. Confronting television, no doubt.
Is that the Korean movie?

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I'll check it out!

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Been nominated for all sorts of awards: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Handmaid%27s_Tale_(TV_series" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

The fact it's based on an Atwood novel has turned me right off. An author/poet who I've just never, ever been able to get into.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
-GD-
Don Furner

The Television Thread

Post by -GD- »

Watched two episodes so far and its good.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I've watched the first six episodes and it's amazing television.

And 11am tomorrow... Game of Thrones is back.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

**** I'm pumped for Game Of Thrones
I reserve most of my tv excitement for the trashiest of trash reality tv shows, but I'm HURTING for GoTs
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

Pigman wrote:**** I'm pumped for Game Of Thrones
I reserve most of my tv excitement for the trashiest of trash reality tv shows, but I'm HURTING for GoTs
Followed straight after by the new Ballers season. Monday night just became one of my favorite
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:I've watched the first six episodes and it's amazing television.

From a knocker to a bloke sweating on an 11am download. What a transformation!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

It's on fox at 11am as well

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote:
greeneyed wrote:I've watched the first six episodes and it's amazing television.

From a knocker to a bloke sweating on an 11am download. What a transformation!
I can't believe either... set up watching the final episodes of Season 6 on Box Sets, getting ready for 11am.
Brewdle
Brett Mullins

Post by Brewdle »

Handmaids was excellent, hard to binge, the flashback sequences did an excellent job of showing how the situation came about.