The Television Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: The Television Thread

Post by greeneyed »

Just finished watched “Pretend It’s a City” on Netflix. Essentially a lifetime of stories from Fran Lebowitz. It’s made by Martin Scorsese, him sitting talking to her... in different settings... plus others interviewing her as well, in present time and back in time. The city of New York is a huge part of the show. I loved it. Probably not everyone’s cup of tea, but it was amusing throughout and downright funny at times.

I also watched “The History of Swear Words”. Not bad, the history bit is interesting... which could probably be told in one episode. The funny bits uneven, especially Nicholas Cage. I enjoyed it though, enough to get to the end.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

greeneyed wrote: January 12, 2020, 10:00 pm Just finished watching the first two seasons of Succession. What a show! If it wasn’t the best show of 2019, it was awfully close. Can’t wait for more. Brilliant final scene for season two.

Theme music is brilliant too.
I've been having a bit of a look around the Internet to find out what's good, and if there's anything worth picking up. Supposedly, Succession is the show - the Internet's critical darling that succeeds Arrested Development, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, and the like (searched the thread afterwards to find this post). Hasn't aired since 2019 though, despite another season being on the way.

I usually ignore everybody's TV suggestions because I have enough on my watchlist, but this one might get a run.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Caught up on Ozark over the w/e and now watching Narcos for the first time.

Watched a doco called Free Solo last week. Crazy dude. I don't think I blinked for the last 15 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wow. That first episode of the final season of Vikings was epic.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Disney+ is bringing in a ton of 20th Century Fox content:
In Australia, Star will debut with four original series, 447 movies and 155 TV shows, many of which are from the 20th Century Fox library, which Disney took control of after its acquisition of the studio in early 2019.
I'm sure there'll be some good stuff there, but all I really want is Futurama... why can't anybody have Futurama?

Maybe I'll go start my own streaming service... with blackjack! ...and hookers!
[/reference]
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Futurama sucks that's why

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Really enjoying 'Would i lie to you' on ABC. Most i have laughed in a long time.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Would I lie to you is one of my favourite shows, along with 8 out of 10 cats does countdown

They're always on replay of Foxtel and are both **** hilarious

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

-TW- wrote:Would I lie to you is one of my favourite shows, along with 8 out of 10 cats does countdown

They're always on replay of Foxtel and are both **** hilarious

Yeah these are my 2 most watched shows on Foxtel.

I was saying to Mrs Fui how this is one of the differences between UK and Aus development of comedians. In the UK, there are so many avenues for comedians to get on TV thanks to shows like Would I lie to you, 8 out of 10 Cats, QI, Taskmaster etc.

Apart from Have you been paying attention, I can’t think of any Aus shows where comedians get a similar platform. I feel this has stunted the quality and development of Aussie comedians.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Lee Mack is a very funny guy..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-PJ- wrote:Lee Mack is a very funny guy..
So is the other team captain, David Mitchell. I also don't mind his other show Upstart crow - very reminiscent of Blackadder.

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah I’m a David Mitchell fan. Like his wife also, Victoria Coren-Mitchell
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

gergreg wrote: January 30, 2021, 12:25 pm
-PJ- wrote:Lee Mack is a very funny guy..
So is the other team captain, David Mitchell. I also don't mind his other show Upstart crow - very reminiscent of Blackadder.

Yeah, both of them crack me up..

Even the shows main man Rob is pure laughs..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Have to give Netflix's Chilling Adventures of Sabrina credit for its ending, haven't watched too many shows that have had the courage to finish like that.

No 'on the bubble' for this one, it isn't coming back.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

CAOS had a better final season than the second and third. Enjoyed it, but it was also time for it to end. Not sure I loved the ending though.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

If you're a WILTY fan this is quite a good story that isn't as well known:

Or if you're trying to get someone into the series just start with the best:
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Television Thread

James Acaster is one of my favourites on there

Nickman's love of NSW
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

zim wrote:If you're a WILTY fan this is quite a good story that isn't as well known:

Or if you're trying to get someone into the series just start with the best:
Very good. There was one on a few weeks ago so it's still on iView. Had this MC or DJ Nasti... dude was hilarious. His possession story was great, but the whole episode was great.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:James Acaster is one of my favourites on there

Yes saw that one this arvo... I found a best of part 2 on YouTube. I just searched for 'would I lie to you' and went to the most viewed clip. 2 hours worth and this kid one was on it.

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Television Thread

Tried watching The Escape Artists on Amazon. It’s pitched as Richard Hammond and Tory Belleci being stranded on a deserted island and building stuff to survive.

I thought it would be a bit more... Mythbustery with Tory on there, mixed with Top Gear style challenges. Like showing off some cool engineering builds using scrap you could come across on an island.

Instead it’s HEAVILY scripted and over the top. I turned it off when they decided to have a race between a wooden Go-Kart and a Tractor.

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Have got into “Below Deck” (yes, I know), so done a fair bit of catch up over summer. Just watched the final episode of the latest season. Season ended prematurely after March 13 last year. Sad end.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Just finished watching the Cecil Hotel / Elisa Lam doco on Netflix. It wasn’t too bad. 4x 58 min eps, but I think they could have condensed it to an hour, hour and a half. Felt they spent too much time with the websleuths and the history of the hotel.

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Finally got around to watching "Unorthodox". Didn't really appeal, but it popped back up due to award season... and it was much better than I expected. Quite enjoyed it... and it was only four episodes. Wish some Netflix series were shorter... they all seem to think that they need to be eight or 10 episodes, regardless of the story.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

greeneyed wrote:Finally got around to watching "Unorthodox". Didn't really appeal, but it popped back up due to award season... and it was much better than I expected. Quite enjoyed it... and it was only four episodes. Wish some Netflix series were shorter... they all seem to think that they need to be eight or 10 episodes, regardless of the story.
Yeah I really liked it as well.

I was listening to a podcast where Tina Fey was being interviewed. She said she had a meeting with David Cameron, who wanted her to try and influence British tv makers to adopt the US style of doing 20+ ep seasons.

She said she pulled him up and said Cameron had it wrong, and that she’s been pushing the UK version of 4 - 10 high quality ep seasons

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: February 17, 2021, 6:31 pm
greeneyed wrote:Finally got around to watching "Unorthodox". Didn't really appeal, but it popped back up due to award season... and it was much better than I expected. Quite enjoyed it... and it was only four episodes. Wish some Netflix series were shorter... they all seem to think that they need to be eight or 10 episodes, regardless of the story.
Yeah I really liked it as well.

I was listening to a podcast where Tina Fey was being interviewed. She said she had a meeting with David Cameron, who wanted her to try and influence British tv makers to adopt the US style of doing 20+ ep seasons.

She said she pulled him up and said Cameron had it wrong, and that she’s been pushing the UK version of 4 - 10 high quality ep seasons
The old model of syndication of TV shows on FTA TV stations required 100 episodes of a series, minimum. It allowed the local stations to strip them five days a week for 20 weeks. That’s half a year, and you just repeat them endlessly. Think Bewitched, Gilligan’s Island, The Brady Bunch, I Dream of Jeannie, Get Smart, Hogan’s Heroes, MASH. I knew the lines in some of those shows by heart.

Can you imagine people doing that today? Voracious appetite for something new every weekend to binge.

It’s probably better quality? Maybe. Was there ever a better show than Get Smart? Mary Tyler Moore? Some of those shows deserved multiple viewings.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah watching through Supernatural, and their 15x 23 ep seasons, you see there’s episodes that are just fillers.

Compressing it to 6 - 10x 1hr shows I find improves the quality. Plus Tina Fey made a point having less eps a season also means less writers on the show, which improves the quality of writing and consistency across the show

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Got around to watching the Kelli Lane doco on Netflix. Something's not right there. For those out of the loop, Kelli Lane was a Water Polo player who was accused of murdering her baby. She reaches out to a journ from prison, who investigates the claims.

It was interesting. So this is a woman who had six pregnancies from 17 - mid 20's. Of those six, 1 and 2 were aborted, 3 and 5 were adopted out, 6 was kept and 4 was the one she allegedly murdered. She was clearly in denial or wasn't ready with those first five. She was still playing competitive Water Polo during pregnancies 3 and 4.

I don't think she murdered the 4th, but I don't believe her story behind what happened with the 4th. It doesn't make sense, considering the pattern she followed with the prior pregnancies

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

MAFS SZN BABY!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: February 22, 2021, 6:32 pm MAFS SZN BABY!
Tuned in! Don't even have to worry about which channel to watch, given Holey Moley is the opposition show!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: February 22, 2021, 6:42 pm
Tuned in! Don't even have to worry about which channel to watch, given Holey Moley is the opposition show!
My wife is friends with one of the contestents, and im so damn excited to watch with this show with some vague connection to someone on it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: February 22, 2021, 6:45 pm
My wife is friends with one of the contestents, and im so damn excited to watch with this show with some vague connection to someone on it.
Poor ol’ Jake, Bec is going to be huge trouble. High maintenance? Absolutely. Melissa will be doing well to grab the Canberra radio guy.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Sterlk wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: January 5, 2021, 10:49 am Thanks mate, just re-read it. I agree, the show knows how to pull at the heart. We watched the ep where the Girls School puts on the Supernatural play. Their acapella version of Carry on my Wayward Son absolutely got me

I’m a bit worried, I’ve avoided spoilers, but the ending sounds like it’s a bit of a let down. On IMDB, most eps are rated in the 8s and 9s and the finale is 6.7 at the moment. Hoping it’s due to fans having higher expectations
The finale isn't really 'the finale'. The second last episode is where the main plot wraps up and is effectively the end of the season (and probably where the whole show could have ended, quite easily). The last episode is a bit of a standalone farewell/aftermath kind of thing to send off the entire series.
— Spoiler —

Finally finished the show. I see what you mean. I told Mrs Fui they could have had the 2nd last ep as the finale and it would have been ok, but would have felt unfinished.

It was bound to go down that way. Dean was always going to “go down swinging”. I liked how his death mirrored his first ever death. Kind of puts the cosmic balance back in place.

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: February 22, 2021, 8:47 pm
Poor ol’ Jake, Bec is going to be huge trouble. High maintenance? Absolutely. Melissa will be doing well to grab the Canberra radio guy.

Think Bec might have a softer side once they get on their own. Feel like some walls might break down. Gut feel is he might have more skeletons in the closet than her.
Melissa and Bryce seem to be getting off to a good start.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: February 22, 2021, 9:02 pm
greeneyed wrote: February 22, 2021, 8:47 pm

Think Bec might have a softer side once they get on their own. Feel like some walls might break down. Gut feel is he might have more skeletons in the closet than her.

Melissa and Bryce seem to be getting off to a good start.
Can’t say I thought much of Bec. She seems like someone who is very impressed by how she, herself, looks. She is going to find fault with every little thing. I can see it already. I even feel sorry for a former AFL player.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Is Holey Moley the biggest flop of all time?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer