The Television Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: The Television Thread

Post by Manbush »

Dr Zaius wrote: April 25, 2018, 10:15 pm Is anyone watching Westworld Season 2?
Yes
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watching the first episode of Picnic at Hanging Rock. So much of it jars. The costumes are overdone and make it seem like a comedy, not a drama/mystery. It was too much to expect it would be better than the classic film, which was one of the best Australian films of all time.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:Just watching the first episode of Picnic at Hanging Rock. So much of it jars. The costumes are overdone and make it seem like a comedy, not a drama/mystery. It was too much to expect it would be better than the classic film, which was one of the best Australian films of all time.
How dare you place Picnic at Hanging Rock amongst the pantheon of great Australian films such as BMX Bandits and Welcome to Woop Woop.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Or Crackerjack
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Or Idiot Box

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Or The Nugget.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Sons of Steel and Hercules Returns are the pinnacle of Australian film making

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

“Dogs in Space” and “Bad boy Bubby” for mine.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

Animal Kingdom, Dead Europe, Two Hands and Romper Stomper were some of my most memorable Australian movies.

For TV series, Jack Irish and Doctor Blake Mysteries were excellent.
Last edited by Sossman on May 8, 2018, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
Sossman
David Furner

Post by Sossman »

Sossman wrote:Animal Kingdom, Two Hands and Romper Stomper were some of my most memorable Australian movies.

For TV series, Jack Irish and Doctor Blake Mysteries were excellent.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
And special mention to anything made by "Working Dog Productions" (Rob Sitch, Tom Gliesner, Santo Cilauro, Jane Kennedy et al)

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I forgot Hercules Returns! Watched that heaps when I was a kid

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Brewdle
Brett Mullins

Post by Brewdle »

I used to make my mother in law watch Hercules Returns every time she visited, she hated it, but kept coming back for more visits

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I already feel like watching Westworld and Handmaid's Tale... seasons two... is going to be a chore.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:I already feel like watching Westworld and Handmaid's Tale... seasons two... is going to be a chore.
Handmaid's Tail has dropped a bit :(

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Brewdle
Brett Mullins

Post by Brewdle »

There’s no novel for season 2 to be based on, not sure if Atwood is involved in some way though.

In other devastating news, GE apparently Rise has been cancelled so no season 2

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

She's a producer of some kind

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Brewdle wrote: May 13, 2018, 7:27 am There’s no novel for season 2 to be based on, not sure if Atwood is involved in some way though.

In other devastating news, GE apparently Rise has been cancelled so no season 2

:cry: That has become my favourite show. And just one episode left! It'd be nice to think a cable channel might pick it up for a second season, but the US ratings trends haven't been good. Horribly underappreciated by the critics, I see the audience ratings are much higher.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:I already feel like watching Westworld and Handmaid's Tale... seasons two... is going to be a chore.
Season 1 of Westworld was already a chore... Image
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gangrenous wrote:
Season 1 of Westworld was already a chore... Image
Much better the second time, once you've figured out what the **** is going on
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Television Thread

Post by gangrenous »

I understood it. It just wasn’t very fun or interesting. Just my opinion though.

I liked the end of season 1. But not sure it was worth the time invested.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gangrenous wrote:I understood it. It just wasn’t very fun or interesting. Just my opinion though.

But you can't possibly know what was going on until the end of the season.
- Billy is the man in black
- Bernard is a host
- Delores interviews were with Arnold, not Bernard
- Mauve was programmed to escape
- Delores is Wyatt
- Ford was behind all of it all along
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watched the final episode of Rise. It was a great series. It was a shame that the final episode had massive discontinuity issues with the performance of Spring Awakening as it unfolded... but still had me with more than a tear in my eye quite a few times. Great show, shame that is the end of it. There were a lot of untold stories left.

I'm grateful to the show as it exposed me to one of the greatest ever shows... that I'd not seen.

I see Josh Radnor is in Australia right now performing with Ben Lee? Who'd have guessed that?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

New season 13 reasons why coming up. Hopefully it isn’t one of those series that shouldn’t have been left at one.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Suits season 8 is out in July.

Why won't that show just die already?
Sossman
David Furner

Post by Sossman »

Binge watching "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt"

Ellie Kemper

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Rediscovered The Newsroom. A little preachy at times, but a quality binge watch.

Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

T_R wrote:Rediscovered The Newsroom. A little preachy at times, but a quality binge watch.

Season 1 of The Newsroom was exceptional, went down hill quite fast after that.

Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Ruins a good show by trying to weave unlikely interpersonal relations into things, and I agree that got worse from season 2

Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

The Television Thread

Post by Postman Pat »

T_R wrote:Ruins a good show by trying to weave unlikely interpersonal relations into things, and I agree that got worse from season 2

That’s the exact reason why my wife and I went off it as the show progressed. It was such a slick show.

Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Dr Zaius wrote:
gangrenous wrote:I understood it. It just wasn’t very fun or interesting. Just my opinion though.

But you can't possibly know what was going on until the end of the season.
- Billy is the man in black
- Bernard is a host
- Delores interviews were with Arnold, not Bernard
- Mauve was programmed to escape
- Delores is Wyatt
- Ford was behind all of it all along
Spoiler alerts man!

You don’t know that until the end, but I’ve got a memory!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just binge watched Nashville Season 5. If Foxtel really expect me to pay to see previous seasons they’re joking! I pay a huge fee already!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Also waiting for season two of 13 reasons why. I’m watching some psychologists show previewing it... just show me the show!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I see it is now live. This is going to be more binge watching.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

I just found out/rediscovered that next weeks episode of The Americans is the series finale. :(

Brilliant show, longtime critical-darling and one of the best there's been for quite some time. If you've never seen it, I highly recommend it.

There's been a lot of shows that I've been watching for years that have ended recently, I might have to pick up some new ones. FX's "Legion" looks like it might be a good one, maybe not quite the same caliber, but few are.