The Television Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: The Television Thread

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Brewdle wrote:Handmaids was excellent, hard to binge, the flashback sequences did an excellent job of showing how the situation came about.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I've liked the flashback sequences also. It relieves the over-thinker in me. I always wonder with these sort of shows, at what point does the world start to go mad.

Like the Junkyard people in The Walking Dead, you don't make the decision to dress up as Mad Max rejects, invent your own language and run and hide out in an abandoned Junkyard at the first sight of a zombie
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

I'm in, already have my Mad Max outfit ready! First sign of impending apocalypse I'm suitin' up

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Brewdle wrote:I'm in, already have my Mad Max outfit ready! First sign of impending apocalypse I'm suitin' up

Me too, I thought it happened last week. I saw a zombie, and decided to slap on some facepaint, hammer some spikes into some GridIron shoulder pads and sharpen my pick axe. I then ran through the main street raiding shops and kidnapped some work colleagues I thought would make handy slaves.

Turns out it was just a really sick backpacker. I had to have a pretty awkward conversation with my boss today
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Finished watching A Handmaid's Tale. Amazing television.

BTW How gutless was the television industry in not recognising 13 reasons why at the Emmy Awards.

A golden age of television, but if something's too controversial... you get shunned. There were amazing performances in that show, but not a single award nomination.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BTW... SBS On Demand is hopeless.... constantly dropping out at peak times... won't run on my Apple TV when that happens. AND the add in commercials.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

greeneyed wrote:Finished watching A Handmaid's Tale. Amazing television.

BTW How gutless was the television industry in not recognising 13 reasons why at the Emmy Awards.

A golden age of television, but if something's too controversial... you get shunned. There were amazing performances in that show, but not a single award nomination.
The Leftovers equally snubbed.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Agree with GE here, A Handmaid's Tale was absolutely amazing television
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

-GD- wrote:
Manbush wrote:Damn season 1 of "American Gods" is over, thank **** it's been signed up for a 2nd season one of the best shows I've seen in a long long time.
1st season has been fantastic!
Can't believe it didn't get nominated for best drama. House of Cards and Better Call Saul weren't anywhere near as good IMO.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
-GD- wrote:
Manbush wrote:Damn season 1 of "American Gods" is over, thank **** it's been signed up for a 2nd season one of the best shows I've seen in a long long time.
1st season has been fantastic!
Can't believe it didn't get nominated for best drama. House of Cards and Better Call Saul weren't anywhere near as good IMO.
Preacher has also been good, on their second season if you haven't caught it yet.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Planning to download some shows to do me over on the plane. Any suggestions for a binge watch? I finished Justified as my show I watched on the train. Thinking something in a similar vein.

Any thoughts on Deadwood?

Nickman's love of NSW
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Planning to download some shows to do me over on the plane. Any suggestions for a binge watch? I finished Justified as my show I watched on the train. Thinking something in a similar vein.

Deadwood is quality. The Shield is another good show from the same era.

Check out Travellers, Narcos and Ozarks as well. They are newer series worth a look.

If it's comedy you are after try Atlanta, Silicon Valley or Veep.
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Planning to download some shows to do me over on the plane. Any suggestions for a binge watch? I finished Justified as my show I watched on the train. Thinking something in a similar vein.

Check out Travellers, Narcos and Ozarks as well. They are newer series worth a look.

I would second Atlanta. Ballers, Taboo jave been good. Empire is also good viewing.
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

Also just started to watch Norsemen on Netflix. Viking comedy which is pretty good
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Started 'Handmaid's Tale' last night. One episode in, but has serious promise.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote:Started 'Handmaid's Tale' last night. One episode in, but has serious promise.
Absolute cracker of a show. I've got the book on Kindle now too, hoping to read it after I finish re-reading Song of Ice and Fire
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Sensational show.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Manchild wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:

I would second Atlanta. Ballers, Taboo jave been good. Empire is also good viewing.
I started watching Taboo on the plane, but it was heavily edited. It wasn't making sense.
When I get back I'll watch the real version
Last edited by FuiFui BradBrad on August 30, 2017, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nickman's love of NSW
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Anyone watching Longmire on Netflix?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

dubby wrote:Anyone watching Longmire on Netflix?

I tried to watch it after Justified, could push through the first few eps of Season 1. I thought he was kind of and old man Walker Texas Ranger, without the fighting.

Is it worth persevering?

Nickman's love of NSW
Smartseal
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Smartseal »

Hell on Wheels

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Yup, watched the whole thing. That's where I got "yup" from, actually.

It's really slow for a season or two, but gets really, really good. Well worth it.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:

I tried to watch it after Justified, could push through the first few eps of Season 1. I thought he was kind of and old man Walker Texas Ranger, without the fighting.

Is it worth persevering?
Mate I enjoy it. Old school, shrewd sheriff with an upcoming arrogant deputy trying to usurp him.
A few episodes were meh, and I can't binge watch it, but it's a good show nonetheless.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

The Nickman wrote:

Yup, watched the whole thing. That's where I got "yup" from, actually.

It's really slow for a season or two, but gets really, really good. Well worth it.
Yup.

How good is it having a character named Branch?

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:

Is it worth persevering?
Mate I enjoy it. Old school, shrewd sheriff with an upcoming arrogant deputy trying to usurp him.
A few episodes were meh, and I can't binge watch it, but it's a good show nonetheless.

You'll be able to binge watch it from about Season 3 onwards when it gets REAL good.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watching The Bachelor finale. The best thing about the show is you don't have to watch any other episode! It's a classic show...

"It's going to be just us two by the camp fire"... and the entire production team.

Then he's running around with three women all at once... and leading them all on... it is an interesting concept for a show.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

The Pilot of The Deuce was **** amazing.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote:Just watching The Bachelor finale. The best thing about the show is you don't have to watch any other episode! It's a classic show...

"It's going to be just us two by the camp fire"... and the entire production team.

Then he's running around with three women all at once... and leading them all on... it is an interesting concept for a show.
There's one more episode!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Just watching The Bachelor finale. The best thing about the show is you don't have to watch any other episode! It's a classic show...

Could you two keep it down in here?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Nickman wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

Good episode tonight, but Elise is the more genuine. Matty should have been picked in the last series of The Bachelorette.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Didn't expect him to go with Laura.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Nickman wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Punisher is looking good and the clip has great use of music.

I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Be interesting to see how Jon Bernthal goes as the Punisher. I liked Thomas Jane in the movie.

JB was brilliant as Shane in the walking dead. He was born for that role.

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Bushy are you still reading the walking dead comics?

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Television Thread

JB was brilliant as Punisher in Daredevil. I can't wait to see him in his own show. There's one scene where he's talking to Daredevil on a rooftop about grey area between good and evil, it was brilliant to watch.

Side note - Can you imagine what TWD would be like if Shane was still in the picture? I was thinking about it the other day. He was crazy, but I think he was ahead of his time. Shane vs Negan would have been a sight to behold

Nickman's love of NSW