Post by the bone »

Awesome, thanks Nickman, I’ll give it a watch

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: The Television Thread

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Loved Broadchurch. Seen season 1 and 2, but not 3.
The Killing and The Fall are two others you’d like if you enjoyed Broadchurch. The Killing especially.
Haven’t seen The Bridge, but it’s on the list
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:I've finished season three of The Crown. It's a great show, wonderfully filmed, produced and acted. The production values are amazing.

Of course, it is no Love Island Australia. If only we had two seasons of that a year!

I was a bit disappointed with this season of The Crown... in that it blatantly changed historical events for the purpose of what became a fictional story line. For example, they put things into Prince Charles' speech at his investiture as Prince of Wales... about Welsh sovereignty etc which he didn't actually say. That's on the historical record... why meddle with stuff that is so clearly on the public record, just to slant a story line in a fashion that might be more popular in 2019? It would have been more nuanced if they stuck to the actual public record... to the most likely version of history... rather than bash us over the head with the less nuanced version.

Same with young Charles and Camilla... they convoluted time lines and the most likely version of the facts just to make the two of them seem more sympathetic today, than they deserve.

Anyway, still enjoyable... but of course, no match for the drama of Love Island Australia.

I guess I'll have to watch Love Island UK now.
I've just finished it off. I've got to say that this really isn't the sort of TV that I usually go for, but I really love this series. It is so well done. The opening sequence in the second last episode epitomises the beautiful cinematography.

I get what you are saying about messing with time lines. They were obviously trying to conveye the similarities between David/Edward v Margaret v Charles. How history repeats itself and the crown doesn't learn.

All of the characters come off as very likeable. Even Princess Anne is tops.

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Dr Zaius wrote:,
greeneyed wrote:I've finished season three of The Crown. It's a great show, wonderfully filmed, produced and acted. The production values are amazing.

Of course, it is no Love Island Australia. If only we had two seasons of that a year!

I was a bit disappointed with this season of The Crown... in that it blatantly changed historical events for the purpose of what became a fictional story line. For example, they put things into Prince Charles' speech at his investiture as Prince of Wales... about Welsh sovereignty etc which he didn't actually say. That's on the historical record... why meddle with stuff that is so clearly on the public record, just to slant a story line in a fashion that might be more popular in 2019? It would have been more nuanced if they stuck to the actual public record... to the most likely version of history... rather than bash us over the head with the less nuanced version.

Same with young Charles and Camilla... they convoluted time lines and the most likely version of the facts just to make the two of them seem more sympathetic today, than they deserve.

Anyway, still enjoyable... but of course, no match for the drama of Love Island Australia.

I've just finished it off. I've got to say that this really isn't the sort of TV that I usually go for, but I really love this series. It is so well done. The opening sequence in the second last episode epitomises the beautiful cinematography.

I get what you are saying about messing with time lines. They were obviously trying to conveye the similarities between David/Edward v Margaret v Charles. How history repeats itself and the crown doesn't learn.

I got about halfway through your 2nd paragraph before I realised you were referencing the crown and not love island
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sid wrote: December 3, 2019, 9:59 pm
Dr Zaius wrote:,

I got about halfway through your 2nd paragraph before I realised you were referencing the crown and not love island
Me too. I know how much Dr Zaius loves Love lsland.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote: December 3, 2019, 8:34 pm ,

Can't wait until they get to the season focusing on Prince Andrew!
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Loved Broadchurch. Seen season 1 and 2, but not 3.
The Killing and The Fall are two others you’d like if you enjoyed Broadchurch. The Killing especially.
The Killing is excellent (at least the first two seasons) - I second that recommendation

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

the bone wrote: December 6, 2019, 9:25 am
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Loved Broadchurch. Seen season 1 and 2, but not 3.
The Killing is excellent (at least the first two seasons) - I second that recommendation

Yeah good call out. I would recommend anyone watching it to stop after season 2. Seasons 3 and 4 were not that good at all
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Anybody else watching "His Dark Materials"?

I'm a few episodes behind, but quite enjoying it.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Netflix's The Witcher is out.

I'm 3 episodes in and loving it. Highly recommend.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

The Television Thread

Post by Sid »

The Nickman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: December 3, 2019, 8:34 pm ,

Can't wait until they get to the season focusing on Prince Andrew!
Shia LaBeouf could be typecast as a Prince Albert

Season 4 has been great so far, I liked Charles Dance as Lord Mountbatten
Last edited by Sid on December 21, 2019, 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Sterlk wrote:Netflix's The Witcher is out.

Love the video game so I’m hoping Netflix don’t ruin this. I was thinking of giving either Witcher or GTAV another play through

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Sid wrote:
Sterlk wrote:Netflix's The Witcher is out.

Love the video game so I’m hoping Netflix don’t ruin this. I was thinking of giving either Witcher or GTAV another play through
I can’t wait to start binging. The 1st trailer has me concerned that it was a bit... corny. But by the 3rd trailer, I’ve started to have hope

Nickman's love of NSW
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Episode 4 is a bit of a mind****.

Being familiar with the universe, I should have known better, really - but being forced into chronological reorganisation halfway through the season is a bit rough.

You're better of knowing from the start; it doesn't really add anything to make people piece it together on their own.

Despite that little annoyance, I still think its fantastic so far.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Sterlk wrote:Episode 4 is a bit of a mind****.

Being familiar with the universe, I should have known better, really - but being forced into chronological reorganisation halfway through the season is a bit rough.

You're better of knowing from the start; it doesn't really add anything to make people piece it together on their own.

Despite that little annoyance, I still think its fantastic so far.
I’m up to 6. I think I know what you mean. Ep 4 made the world make sense to me. I picked up the characters were in different timelines, but that ep just tied it all up for me.

It’s a really great show, and Henry Cavills swordsmanship is top class

Nickman's love of NSW
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Just finished the final season of Silicon Valley.

Another one of the best shows on TV bites the dust. Though attrition the list of shows I'm watching is actually now something close to manageable.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Sterlk wrote: December 29, 2019, 7:02 pm Just finished the final season of Silicon Valley.

Another one of the best shows on TV bites the dust. Though attrition the list of shows I'm watching is actually now something close to manageable.
I'd prefer they close out more shows rather than turn them into never ending soap operas. Breaking Bad best example of a series that evolved over several season leading into a great finale.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just finished watching the first two seasons of Succession. What a show! If it wasn’t the best show of 2019, it was awfully close. Can’t wait for more. Brilliant final scene for season two.

Theme music is brilliant too.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Sterlk wrote: December 29, 2019, 7:02 pm Just finished the final season of Silicon Valley.

Yeah I’ve been a fan. One of the better comedies around, probably number 2 to Its Always Sunny for mine.

Hasn’t been the same show without TJ Miller though imo, especially the struggle between Bachman and Yang.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fantastic end to today's episode of Love Island UK Season 6! Can't wait for how this one is going to pan out tomorrow.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Who's in for MAFs?

I missed the first episode but tonight was a cracker, the young fella doesn't know what he's in for - with the loud one. He kind of reminded me of the comedian Greg Fleet. Wonder what happened to old Fleety?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I've been watching MAFS... plus the latest Love Island UK on Nine Now. I'm enjoying Love Island a whole lot more, it's much funnier and there's more drama. They don't have any of this fake psychologist rubbish they have on MAFS. On Love Island they are openly manipulating and laugh as they do it. I'm waiting for Mike to get his come uppance.

There's a lot of series back atm... I'm struggling to keep up.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Looks like Ray Donovan just got cancelled.

Had a good run, I guess. Disappointing that it apparently ends on a cliffhanger - I'm two episodes away from finishing it. I won't claim it was one of the best on TV like Silicon Valley and The Americans, though I did enjoy it and am sorry to see it go.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Speaking of great shows ending, Bill Woods announced on Twitter today that Fox didn’t renew Bill and Boz

Nickman's love of NSW
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

**** is doing there?

That was a great show, but they add talk back to PM Live

Foxtel have lost the plot

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fox are losing money... and cutting back programming. It will be a vicious cycle for Foxtel. They're offering huge discounts for new customers... both for package and broadband... alienating existing customers, while cutting/losing channels and content. The suppliers that are setting up their own streaming services (eg Disney) will find it isn't so easy, there's a limit to how many streaming services people are going to fork out for.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Tonight's Love Island UK... Callum's in a lot of trouble when they go back to the main villa.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

MAFS and Survivor Season!
What a time to be alive.

MAFS is off to a slow start, but im seeing a lot of potential drama, it usually takes a little while for it to heat up. They've really got to get to know each other and resent each other, and get through the group dinners before the real show begins

in Survivor the most recent tribal and the game play between Mat and David is some of the best i've seen. PUMPED for it
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watched tonight's episode of Love Island UK on Nine Now. Love Island is manipulative and ridiculous... and THE BEST SHOW ON TELEVISION RIGHT NOW! Callum's return to the villa was classic!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote: in Survivor the most recent tribal and the game play between Mat and David is some of the best i've seen. PUMPED for it
If they can maintain this over the course of the game it would be the greatest play in survivor history. Can’t see it lasting, but at least it was fun this vote at the very least.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: February 9, 2020, 8:26 pm
Botman wrote: in Survivor the most recent tribal and the game play between Mat and David is some of the best i've seen. PUMPED for it
If they can maintain this over the course of the game it would be the greatest play in survivor history. Can’t see it lasting, but at least it was fun this vote at the very least.
Yeah there is no **** way they can keep it up... but if they do... that's one of the best survivor plays of all time, and i've watched every season of the US and Aus versions
It's as ballsy and bold a play as i've seen and i am absolutely here for it... Im also a major David fan, so im all about him being here for the long run.

(i guess there is a chance some other country version has seen some wilder **** but i doubt it)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Classic episode of Love Island UK tonight! What a finish!
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Spoiler Alert: I was not expecting such a fate for Vikings Bjorn Ironside. Hopefully it will be re-written as a dream and a different future awaits him.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Double episode of Love Island UK. What a show! What a choice for poor Luke!

Still time to watch Vikings I guess!
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Calls for Love Island to be cancelled after a third suicide related to the show with a former host passing away. https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/c ... ecbb0aef2d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk