The Film Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: The Film Thread

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Watched It Comes at Night on Netflix. Probably the worst film I've seen in a long time. It was too ambiguous for my liking, and nothing really happened through the film.

Disappointed because it got all these good reviews, and I think Joel Edgerton's one of the most underrated actors out there
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Mortal Kombat is one of the dumbest **** movie i have ever witnessed, and i enjoyed every god damn moment of it. :lol:
Encourge any one who grew up begging their parents to let them play this game to go and see the film, and as Shea Serrano says, if you're not yelling the names of each character as they arrive on scene, you aint doing it right
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:Mortal Kombat is one of the dumbest **** movie i have ever witnessed, and i enjoyed every god damn moment of it. Image
Encourge any one who grew up begging their parents to let them play this game to go and see the film, and as Shea Serrano says, if you're not yelling the names of each character as they arrive on scene, you aint doing it right
want to take bonejr but being rated r18+ is a challenge since he's 13, I'm ok with him seeing it based on generated violence for the rating.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

bonehead wrote: April 24, 2021, 8:12 pm
Botman wrote:Mortal Kombat is one of the dumbest **** movie i have ever witnessed, and i enjoyed every god damn moment of it. Image
want to take bonejr but being rated r18+ is a challenge since he's 13, I'm ok with him seeing it based on generated violence for the rating.

Honestly, it's gorey man
If you're cool with that (and frankly the games kids play at 13, i think it's probably OK pending the kid) but its really fun
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

The Film Thread

Post by Sid »

I don’t understand why it has the same title as the original
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat 2: Annihilation
Mortal Kombat

It’s a different movie to the original.. give it a different title?
Anyways I’m keen to see it this Wednesday. Scorpions Revenge on Nutflicks was pretty good.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Ok with gore as you say the video games have that.

Edrick The Entertainer
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Just watched the first 15 mins of Can’t Hardly Wait, since it’s about to go off Netflix... possibly the worst 15 min start to a movie I have ever seen. I couldn’t take it anymore.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Just finished watching The Dry. Really recommend it. Amazing cinematography. I think it’s probably the best Eric Bana movie I’ve see since Munich.

Only bugbear, there’s a scene where Bana gets offered a beer, and they give him a Budweiser. No self-respecting Australian, let alone someone from rural Australia, is pulling that from the fridge. Wish Great Northern matched Bud’s product placement offer
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I watched Nomadland yesterday. It was sort of exactly how I expected it to be. Nothing happens pretty much. It was like most Frances McDormand films. Beautiful scenery and cinematography. I can see exactly why the Academy voted the way they did. But it didn’t move me. I’d seen this cookie cutter movie before.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

greeneyed wrote:I watched Nomadland yesterday. It was sort of exactly how I expected it to be. Nothing happens pretty much. It was like most Frances McDormand films. Beautiful scenery and cinematography. I can see exactly why the Academy voted the way they did. But it didn’t move me. I’d seen this cookie cutter movie before.
I saw a trailer of it the first time. The trailer made it look like a faux-documentary. Cant really see what the story is actually about

Nickman's love of NSW
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Watching War Horse now... why are the German soldiers speaking to each other in English?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

the bone wrote:Watching War Horse now... why are the German soldiers speaking to each other in English?
Probably for the same reason the Russian captain on The Hunt for Red October spoke with a Scottish accent and a lisp

Nickman's love of NSW
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

the bone wrote:Watching War Horse now... why are the German soldiers speaking to each other in English?
I think you mean War Orse
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Strictly Ballroom just finished on ABC. Haven’t seen that since my teens. Forgot how good it was, it’s a classic.

I found it interesting watching it now, and being able to pick up the Baz Luhrmann techniques through it.

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just finished watching “My Salinger Year” on Foxtel. It’s not the best film you’ll ever see, but nice performances from the two leads. Sigourney Weaver is a great actress, she was perfect in the role. Really enjoyed it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Also just finished watching “Promising Young Woman”. Extraordinary film. What an impact that film has... Difficult to watch at times. Much more challenging than a film like “Nomadland”. A must watch film.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just finished watching Minari. Very good film, very good performances, Youn Yuh-jung won best supporting actress in the role of the grandmother, and it was well deserved. The critics throw around words like poignant, delicate, tender, heartfelt, but I felt vaguely depressed by it.

It really has been an awful year for film. So many movies have been held back due to the pandemic.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watched “Apollo 11”. An absolutely amazing documentary from 2019, that celebrated the 50th anniversary of the moon landing. It entirely comprised film and audio exclusively from the time. A lot of the film was 70mm not seen before, incredible quality. I guess it has been digitally remastered too. An amazing film. Must watch on Netflix if you haven’t already.

I remember the day of the moon landing. I was seven or eight years old and when we arrived at school, there were TVs in every room. That’s all we did from the start of school, was watch the TV, and for those kids with parents at home, we were then allowed to go home early and watch man step on the moon. What an incredible achievement. What an incredible world we live in.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Just finished watching Warrior for like the 50th time. That movie just hits me in the feels so much oddly. As soon as I hear About Today by The National play, the eyes start watering.

Not sure if it’s the movie or the song though. Even hearing it in the car gets me emotional.

I’m also convinced Blacktown’s Joel Edgerton is one of the most underrated going around

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Watched Dune today
Pretty stunning visual film and the world and lore behind it is something that really appeals to me, love that sort fo sci-fi stuff...so i really enjoyed the film, but it felt very much like a pilot film and i think people might struggle with that.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Read the books botty? Or new to it?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

What do you mean by a pilot film? I’ve got this one on the shortlist

Nickman's love of NSW
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Probably means that it doesn’t come to a satisfying conclusion, think it only covers the first third of the book from what I heard.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: October 24, 2021, 7:05 pm Read the books botty? Or new to it?
Totally new to it
thought about doing the books first, but decided to dive right in... really good stuff i thought, love the world building, and the concepts

But yeah as you said, no satsifying conclusion and the film really spent a lot of time setting up the world and lore of this thing, so it was a lot of talking and setting the stage.

But yes, as i understand it, this is a 2 maybe even 3 part movie and the next ones will build off this. Very fun.
Dont really have much to ask my wife and kids for christmas, it's basically ironboard covers, clothes and comic/sci-fi books... that's all that's left for a man who has it all... so thinking getting them for christmas and getting right into it.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

The 3 films I've enjoyed the most over the last year or so are all things that are 3/4 years old and oddly linked by certain actors.

The end of the tour. Jason Segel sensational as David Foster Wallace. Sent me on a long journey to find the novel around which it is centred which I am still slowly, but surely divulging.

The Peanut Butter Falcon. A sweet feel good appropriation of the timeless Mark Twain classic. Starring and based around the plight of a young actor with Down Syndrome. Dakota Johnson and Shia Lebouef are great.

Our Friend. Johnson and Segel again, with Casey Affleck. Looked like it would be sad but had to watch it after the 2 other films where I'd really enjoyed their roles. It's an incredibly sad and hard watch but a really moving and brilliantly shot story based on the Esquire Article The Friend, by Matthew Teague. I'll likely never rewatch but I'm glad I saw it.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:
gangrenous wrote: October 24, 2021, 7:05 pm Read the books botty? Or new to it?
Totally new to it
thought about doing the books first, but decided to dive right in... really good stuff i thought, love the world building, and the concepts

But yeah as you said, no satsifying conclusion and the film really spent a lot of time setting up the world and lore of this thing, so it was a lot of talking and setting the stage.

But yes, as i understand it, this is a 2 maybe even 3 part movie and the next ones will build off this. Very fun.
Dont really have much to ask my wife and kids for christmas, it's basically ironboard covers, clothes and comic/sci-fi books... that's all that's left for a man who has it all... so thinking getting them for christmas and getting right into it.
I read the first one 20 or 30 years ago. From what I remember, apparently the quality dropped after the first novel.

Will definitely watch this though maybe not at the cinema. I really enjoyed Valerian despite if flopping badly. Such a visually beautiful film.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Yeah same here gerg. Read it about 20 years ago or so. I think I read one or two sequels but wasn’t overly fussed and stopped there.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I read it for the first time 2 years ago.
It required a second reading to really appreciate.

The old movie is phenomenal SciFi for the time. It's one of those casting sweet spots where they have a number of great actors just before their more famous roles.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Finally got around to watching Tenet. I was expecting to be annoyed and confused, but I feel I got it enough.

Definitely one I’m keen to watch again to proper get my head around.

Nickman's love of NSW
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Tenet was a disappointment because it had a good concept but they didn’t put the time into the storyline (pardon the pun) and left too many plot holes.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watched Boys State on Apple TV+. Really worth watching. A documentary that won the Sundance Grand Jury Prize. Drags you in, and highlights the good and bad things about American politics.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/boys_state
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

greeneyed wrote: November 6, 2021, 1:58 pm Just watched Boys State on Apple TV+. Really worth watching. A documentary that won the Sundance Grand Jury Prize. Drags you in, and highlights the good and bad things about American politics.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/boys_state
Yeah I’d second this, Boys state was great.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watched tick, tick... BOOM! It is on Netflix, having also had a theatre release. It's brilliant and Andrew Garfield is outstanding in the lead role. Oscar time for him and perhaps a nomination for the director, Lin-Manuel Miranda. If you liked RENT, which I did, no brainer watch. Here's a trailer, so you can see if it is your sort of movie.

the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

That does not look like my kind of movie. I’ve always thought Andrew Garfield came across as a bit of a pipsqueak. Feels like he should be British… wait, I just Wikipedia’d him, and he is British (he was raised there)! How fitting.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watched The Power of the Dog on Netflix. Unusual “western”, but lots of Oscar contenders there. Picture, director (Jane Campion), actor (Benedict Cumberbatch) supporting actress (Kirsten Dunst), cinematography.