Where do you get your news from?

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
the bone
John Ferguson
Posts: 2151
Joined: September 13, 2010, 4:02 pm

Where do you get your news from?

Post by the bone »

We've talked recently in the politics thread about the interaction of news, social media and politics, and so I'm interested to hear: Where do you get your news from?

Specifically:
What kinds of news sources? E.g. TV, newspaper (print or digital), social media, podcasts etc
What publications/companies/websites/social media platforms do you get your news from?
Why do you choose to get your news from here?
What do you like about these news sources?
What do you not like about these news sources?
Do you have specialty news sources for particular interests? E.g. NRL, trade publications etc

I'll write up my own in a while and share. Interested to hear others.
User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 32596
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by -TW- »

Sky News after dark.

But seriously, Canberra Times, ABC, The new daily. Journos on twitter as well.

If something big comes up I generally look at a few sources

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 135048
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by greeneyed »

What kinds of news sources? TV, newspaper (digital, might buy a paper on Sundays), certainly not social media or podcasts... but credible journalists on Twitter I follow
What publications/companies/websites/social media platforms do you get your news from? A wide variety, including News Limited, Nine Media, I subscribe to The Canberra Times (Regional Media), FTA and STV news stations (a wide variety... I only avoid Sky News and Fox News... but sometimes watch just to see what lies and rubbish are being sprouted on an issue... I have tended to watch CNN a fair bit lately)
Why do you choose to get your news from here? From The Greenhouse? It's the best website on the net!
What do you like about these news sources? I generally look for credible, mainstream news outlets... but even then, some mainstream outlets from some companies, like News Limited, are not trustworthy.
What do you not like about these news sources? I don't like news outlets that masquerade as news outlets when they are only peddling inaccurate opinions
Do you have specialty news sources for particular interests? E.g. NRL, trade publications etc Yes, NRL... you know the ones!
Image
Coastalraider
John Ferguson
Posts: 2809
Joined: May 31, 2015, 7:25 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by Coastalraider »

Dont read news papers, generally only watch streaming TV so not news or commercial TV.

The bulk of my news comes from social media, but via trending hastags rather than pushed story feeds. That way a 'topic' will be trending, and I can choose from that flow varying opinions etc to something relevant.

But my go to from political and health advice is currently the Current Affairs page on the Greenhouse Forum. And whatever agenda Nickman is pushing on facebook.
User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 27449
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by Northern Raider »

I get my news mainly from mainstream news sites and take it all with a massive grain of salt. Anything shared via Social Media I assume is fake news until proven otherwise.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
User avatar
the bone
John Ferguson
Posts: 2151
Joined: September 13, 2010, 4:02 pm

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by the bone »

I'll start off with the context that I live overseas, so I'm sure my news sources would be a different to the average poster here.

I get my day-to-day news from two main sources - digital subscriptions to the New York Times (NYT) and Wall Street Journal (WSJ). Why these? It started out because my work offers these subscriptions to employees for free. But I have become so used to reading them, that if I were to change employers or my current employer revoked this benefit, I would probably pay out-of-pocket (in saying that, I have no idea how much these would cost).

TV wise, I don't really consume any news through this media. If something is happening live that I need to tune into (e.g. the capital riot), I'll turn on either NBC, ABC or CBS. Though usually I'll get sick of their commercial breaks and switch to either CNN or MSNBC.

Social Media - I don't really consume news from social media at all (Twitter a little bit). My Facebook page is full of pictures from family; mostly people's kids / family adventures. I don't use Facebook all that much, but if Facebook were to ban news, I don't think it would affect may feed at all. Twitter, I don't use all that much either, but I do follow some news publications so occasionally I'll see news there. For the most part, it's news I would've seen somewhere else already. Ditto for LinkedIn. No Instagram, TikTok or Snapchat for me.

Podcasts - No news podcasts for me, though I do listen to some podcasts that discuss the news/politics (as opposed to reporting on the news/politics) - The Ezra Klein show (NYT, formerly Vox), The Argument (NYT), The Journal (WSJ).

What I like about the combo of reading NYT and WSJ is that I'm getting both sides of the aisle; NYT on the liberal side, WSJ on the conservative side. In terms of the newsrooms, I find the NYT very liberal, whilst the WSJ is more conservative but also closer to the centre than the NYT. When it comes to the opinion pages, the NYT obviously has a lot of liberal contributors, but they also have a number of conservative columnists, and it's these columns that I often find the most interesting; they are conservatives who are able to argue not only against liberal overreach, but also for a principled conservative argument. The WSJ opinion writers on the other hand are much more conservative, and whilst the WSJ does present liberal arguments every so often, it's not as often as the NYT present conservative opinion articles.

In regards to specialty news sources, I have a digital subscription to The Athletic which I use to follow American sports. I got a free 12 month subscription as part of a promotion, and boy what a smart business move that was from the Athletic's perspective - I think they've got me for life. My free subscription runs out in July and from there I believe it's about USD 50 per year, which I'll absolutely pay. The Athletic has beat writers for basically every professional sports teams in the US (as well as a bunch of college teams), so no matter which teams you follow, you can get pretty good insight from said beat writers as well as league wide news, and longer investigational type stories.

I also use the Bleacher Report (BR) app to follow US sports. BR used to provide a lot more articles of their own, but they've de-emphasized reporting in place of instant replays/reactions which has been somewhat disappointing from my perspective. The app is still useful though in that it shows tweets from all the people in-the-know (e.g. Ian Rapport and Adam Schefter for the NFL, Woj for the NBA etc).

For the NRL, I used to use the Fox Sports App, but it wasn't working for me for a few months, and eventually I cracked it and deleted the app. So now for the I mostly use the GH or NRL.com for my NRL news.

When it comes to Australian news, I usually go on smh.com to look at the headlines. I don't have a subscription so I can only read about 10 free articles a month. If I see a headline on there that peaks my interest, I'll either use up one of my free articles, or I'll google the issue and read more about it elsewhere. I simply wouldn't read smh.com enough to justify getting a subscription. In general, I find Australian news pretty poor i.e. a lot of the news that makes it into print, on TV etc is not what I would deem "newsworthy". Occasionally Australian news will make it into NYT or WSJ (e.g. the "wildfires", Australian government vs Facebook/Google, Australia vs China etc). NYT actually has an Australian bureau and they usually put out an article or two each month.

When I was back in Australia, I found SBS news the best news on TV. As I said above, Australia just doesn't have a whole lot of big news stories, so I found hearing news from around the world a little more interesting. These are not necessarily news sources, but I did enjoy Q&A and Media Report on ABC. Newspaper wise, I'd generally read the Daily Telegraph for it's NRL content, but that was it.
julian87
Laurie Daley
Posts: 12329
Joined: October 20, 2005, 3:35 pm

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by julian87 »

What kinds of news sources? Pretty much just online Australian publications. ABC News first and for certain issues I'll check out SMH or The Australian. I'll listen to discussions about certain events on certain podcasts but it's not really a news source. In terms of social media I currently only use Reddit, so I get some tech and international news from there too.
Why do you choose to get your news from here? Use ABC as main source because you at least to skip out on the advertisements sold as news. And entertainment 'news'.
Do you have specialty news sources for particular interests? I'll use Fox, NRL or Daily Tele for sports news. I may be drawn back into social media for the NRL season just for how quickly injury/team changes pop up there because I punt quite a bit on rugby league. Oh and a plethora of different sites that aren't Triple J for music news.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 30140
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by Botman »

Mine is dictated by what it i guess

i watch the project most nights, watch Q&A on ABC occasionally, and my main source of news comes from social media. So articles or opinion pieces, or opinions themselves from people and journo, political commentators that I follow and people they follow in the form of retweets and comments etc.

I have a podcast going on in my ear approximately 95% of the time, which makes me a horribly inattentive dad and husband. Most of it's sports related and pop culture related but i do listen to a few politics pods, the professor and the hack is one I listen too. But i don't think Australian politics is actually that interesting. The differences between the two majors aren't actually that large and this country really doesn't have the wild ups and downs in terms of leaders... like I know we catastrophize our leaders because it's our backyard and we want it to be interesting but the floor and ceiling of our leaders is pretty close, it never really dips below average and never rises higher than slightly above average. So much like Bone, I'm more interested in hearing of the level of crazy that goes on around the world

But ultimately my news comes from social media, podcasts and few select tv shows that I make time to watch. Ill very rarely read an opinion piece unless it's something I'm struggling to understand, the franking credits thing was one such case... I really didn't know anything about it, so I read a few different columns from both perspectives to try and understand the issue better. But mostly if I'm reading something from a newspaper, its online (I've not physically touched a newspaper in what seems like forever) and it's about the NRL. But outside of that, it's really for me about talking to friends, family and colleagues about current events and the state of things, and getting the views of people I know and respect, and presenting mine... as people on this site know, I'm pretty up for a robust back and forth about views and opinions on anything. I like to hear other peoples opinions on politics particularly because I think it's an area that has a wide range of opinions you can hold and whilst some I'll never agree with, I am always interesting in hearing their POV and having mine challenged.

My main problem with my news sources is I am painfully aware of what sort of echo chamber I have built. My friends are all of similar views to me, my immediate family are, my social media feed is cultivated accordingly, my podcasts are a bit more varied and I've got stuff in there that takes time to give some airtime to conservative politics which I like even though some of it gets me very angry, but its really that and talking to my FIL that is my only exposure to that side of the aisle. And I do think it's important to at least hear that side of it.

Which is why I do like sites like this, and when something is going on, this and other forums are a place I like to check in a read because I think this is the sort of place you can get someone who feels comfortable saying exactly what they think and why.
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;
Fuifui Bradbrad
Steve Walters
Posts: 7040
Joined: May 3, 2008, 10:23 pm
Favourite Player: Phil Graham
Location: Marsden Park

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad »

I mainly get my news from The Project. “Newspaper” wise, I usually lean towards ABC or SMH.

I actually get most of my views and thoughts from TheGH actually. It’s probably the best place for me to see both sides of the coin. My world views are generally pretty fluid. I’ll have an idea on my views, but generally if I see/hear something that counters that, I can be swayed.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 135048
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by greeneyed »

I have to say I've long thought The Project is a load of rubbish. But I have been watching it lately, in the gap between WIN Canberra News (for the Raiders mostly) and MAFS. I guess it matches the rubbish of MAFS! But really, it is better than I thought. I can't bring myself to watch a second of ACA. ABC News... no sport, so I boycott it. During the summer, my viewing of the news fell off drastically, because there was little rugby league to follow... and I was streaming instead.
Image
Fuifui Bradbrad
Steve Walters
Posts: 7040
Joined: May 3, 2008, 10:23 pm
Favourite Player: Phil Graham
Location: Marsden Park

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad »

For me, the Project got better once Waleed replaced Charlie.

I’ve only just got back into catching up on the news. From the US election - probably last month I didn’t read papers, didn’t watch news, just had enough of the world.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 30140
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: March 3, 2021, 4:26 pm I have to say I've long thought The Project is a load of rubbish. But I have been watching it lately, in the gap between WIN Canberra News (for the Raiders mostly) and MAFS. I guess it matches the rubbish of MAFS! But really, it is better than I thought. I can't bring myself to watch a second of ACA. ABC News... no sport, so I boycott it. During the summer, my viewing of the news fell off drastically, because there was little rugby league to follow... and I was streaming instead.
Watching MAFS and catching the ads on the ACA, and my goodness... that's just **** miserable.
I mean i watch some REAL trashy TV and that's beyond my limits

The project is good, i think it does a reasonable enough job of giving you a brief overview of the news that is left of centre for sure but i think they do a decent enough job of at least airing the other side of the coin, even if the majority panalists dont agree.
I dunno, i find it pretty easy, digestable news watching, and relatively to the scale, unbaised coverage.
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;
User avatar
bonehead
Laurie Daley
Posts: 14765
Joined: March 1, 2005, 5:29 am
Location: Smelling The Shiraz

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by bonehead »

radio, nothing better than some poor numpty on am radio attempting to pronounce standard words

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
User avatar
T_R
Don Furner
Posts: 16216
Joined: August 4, 2006, 9:41 am
Location: Noosa

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by T_R »

ABC News24 is running in the background most of the day, and Newsradio when driving. SBS news during dinner, DW at breakfast. SMH is my paper of choice, but I read it less these days. Keizei Simbun online most days for Asian market info mostly. The Economist is my monthly catch up on everything I've missed.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Image

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
User avatar
Sid
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8152
Joined: May 15, 2015, 8:47 pm
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd
Location: Darwin, N.T.

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by Sid »

TBH there are often times where I will see a meme pattern pop up that doesn't make sense, so I'll google to find out the news behind it.

https://www.abc.net.au/ is my main go-to news source.. and Betoota Advocate.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk


Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
User avatar
Mickey_Raider
John Ferguson
Posts: 2470
Joined: March 16, 2008, 7:15 am
Favourite Player: Big Papa
Location: North Sydney

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I watch sky after dark far more than any other news source, mostly for data gathering purposes.

No one can accuse me of being stuck in a lefty echo chamber. I have a very firm grasp of the right wing formula they run back each and every night.

And I disagree with the lions share of it each and every night.
Up The Milk
User avatar
zim
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8753
Joined: July 8, 2015, 3:38 pm
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
Location: Sydney

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by zim »

SBS news on the TV. SMH online.
Sometimes I'll click on news.com.au just to see how ridiculous the headlines are.

Ars Technica for the more focused stuff. They do some incredible deep dives.
User avatar
BJ
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5311
Joined: February 2, 2007, 12:14 pm

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by BJ »

I get all my news and world views from the experts on the Greenhouse.

I therefore believe that Josh McCrone has a licence to print money and that ‘scumbag’ made Bellamy look like a great coach.
User avatar
hobbsy
Peter Jackson
Posts: 256
Joined: October 16, 2007, 10:38 pm

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by hobbsy »

Usually check the ABC website a couple times a day while at work. Don't watch any free to air TV except for sport that isn't live on Kayo so don't get anything from there. I browse reddit a bit mostly for various sports subreddits but will pick up various bits of international news from there as well, I tend to be pretty wary of things I see on there so anything that grabs my interest ill generally search the web for other links to the same story to see what's up when that happens.
Local news wise I live on the Gold Coast so will read the GC Bulletin online occasionally.
User avatar
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20892
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by Dr Zaius »

- ABC Radio and ABC 24
- Facebook feed: ABC, SMH, Canberra Times, Brisbane Times, GC Bulletin, Guardian, Beetota and The Chaser
- Please Explain, Full Story, Coronacaat, Coronavirus Daily Update
- TV (sometimes) The Project, Q&A
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13474
Joined: February 25, 2008, 3:02 pm
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by Begbie »

NT News
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 135048
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by greeneyed »

Begbie wrote: March 4, 2021, 6:54 pmNT News
Quality news on crocodiles.
Image
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 46237
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by The Nickman »

It's very, very complicated for me. I've always been very interested in world politics (particularly fascinated by the middle east), but I will gravitate to and consume any media relating to any topics I find interesting at the time, such as the last two US elections, the rise and fall of ISIS, the Afghanistan and Iraq wars, right now I'm particularly interested in the QAnon phenomenon (because of my fascination with conspiracy theorists, fake news and the damage they have on society) and the uprising in Russia following the poisoning of Alexei Navalny.

To that end, I essentially spend a lot of time googling and reading news articles from a wide variety of sources across the world. Of commonly known outlets, I tend to trust ABC and SBS in Australia the most, CNN in America (although they can be a little left leaning at times) and completely disregard outlets like Sky News and Fox.

I don't tend to believe social media at all, I think that social media and its fake news is a scourge on the planet and has directly led to atrocities like the Christchurch massacre and Capitol riot, while also contributing heavily to Brexit, Trump's original rise to power, and misinformation regarding vaccinations (leading to children dying in Samoa) and COVID-19. I firmly believe the world would be a better place without it, and have been a strong advocate against fake news for over a decade now, but I'm at least pleased to see Facebook has FINALLY realised that they have a problem and are attempting to reel it in. Is it too little to late though, can they get the genie back in the bottle?

Following on from my rant about social media and its damages to society, I also find it ironic that people in today's society carry on so heavily about how dangerous the so-called "Main Stream Media" is, but are all so happy to sit in their echo chambers on Facebook and promote wildly inaccurate and just outright falsehoods. We all know the MSM can be heavily biased and you have to take your information from a wide range of sources and with a grain of salt, but at least journalists generally have to follow some sort of code, they can't just publish outright lies! Unlike social media.........
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 135048
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by greeneyed »

The mainstream media does publish and broadcast lies quite regularly and increasingly. They call it “opinion” and those giving us their “opinions” we’re told, don’t have to follow normal codes and ethics of journalism. Switch on Fox News anytime to see it. Or have a read of the Murdoch press during last year’s bushfires.
Image
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 46237
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: March 5, 2021, 8:51 am The mainstream media does publish and broadcast lies quite regularly and increasingly. They call it “opinion” and those giving us their “opinions” we’re told, don’t have to follow normal codes and ethics of journalism. Switch on Fox News anytime to see it. Or have a read of the Murdoch press during last year’s bushfires.
Oh yeah, I definitely agree with that, opinion pieces are not worth the paper they're printed on.

I never read opinion, not on any topic, it's just garbage. It's not journalism either.

I read the facts, from as many sources as possible, and I make up my mind based on the facts. And I change my mind if new facts disprove what I currently think.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
User avatar
hobbsy
Peter Jackson
Posts: 256
Joined: October 16, 2007, 10:38 pm

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by hobbsy »

The Nickman wrote: March 5, 2021, 8:43 am We all know the MSM can be heavily biased and you have to take your information from a wide range of sources and with a grain of salt
I think part of the problem is that a lot of people don't know this, and that there are people who don't recognise that opinion pieces are just that, so when these opinions only double down on the fake news coming out of social media, it is a very concerning issue.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 46237
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by The Nickman »

hobbsy wrote: March 5, 2021, 9:07 am
The Nickman wrote: March 5, 2021, 8:43 am We all know the MSM can be heavily biased and you have to take your information from a wide range of sources and with a grain of salt
I think part of the problem is that a lot of people don't know this, and that there are people who don't recognise that opinion pieces are just that, so when these opinions only double down on the fake news coming out of social media, it is a very concerning issue.
I just think a lot of people are stupid, lack critical thinking and just essentially only absorb whatever supports their narrow view of the world. Many people are unable to challenge their own image of reality and are unprepared to change based on evidence in front of them.

That's not new, none of this is new.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
User avatar
BJ
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5311
Joined: February 2, 2007, 12:14 pm

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by BJ »

In my opinionated opinion, opinion pieces are too opinionated.
User avatar
gangrenous
Laurie Daley
Posts: 12225
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by gangrenous »

The Nickman wrote: I just think a lot of people are stupid, lack critical thinking and just essentially only absorb whatever supports their narrow view of the world. Many people are unable to challenge their own image of reality and are unprepared to change based on evidence in front of them.

That's not new, none of this is new.
Agree with the first half, not quite the second.

People aren’t naturally of the view of the world where lizard people run paedophile rings and elections were rigged.

The media, be it social or mainstream (and they can be the same), are capitalising on the base prejudices and lack of critical thinking to drag people into lunacy. It’s not lunacy they’d have been likely to come to themselves and they’ve just picked the bits that were in their head already.
User avatar
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20892
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by Dr Zaius »


gangrenous wrote:
The Nickman wrote: I just think a lot of people are stupid, lack critical thinking and just essentially only absorb whatever supports their narrow view of the world. Many people are unable to challenge their own image of reality and are unprepared to change based on evidence in front of them.

That's not new, none of this is new.
Agree with the first half, not quite the second.

People aren’t naturally of the view of the world where lizard people run paedophile rings and elections were rigged.

The media, be it social or mainstream (and they can be the same), are capitalising on the base prejudices and lack of critical thinking to drag people into lunacy. It’s not lunacy they’d have been likely to come to themselves and they’ve just picked the bits that were in their head already.
A person I work with summed it up nicely. There has always been village idiots. We used to throw tomatoes at them. Now they have a platform.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 46237
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by The Nickman »

gangrenous wrote:
The Nickman wrote: I just think a lot of people are stupid, lack critical thinking and just essentially only absorb whatever supports their narrow view of the world. Many people are unable to challenge their own image of reality and are unprepared to change based on evidence in front of them.

That's not new, none of this is new.
Agree with the first half, not quite the second.

People aren’t naturally of the view of the world where lizard people run paedophile rings and elections were rigged.

The media, be it social or mainstream (and they can be the same), are capitalising on the base prejudices and lack of critical thinking to drag people into lunacy. It’s not lunacy they’d have been likely to come to themselves and they’ve just picked the bits that were in their head already.
Conspiracy theories have been around a lot longer than both social AND so-called “mainstream” media have been.

A LOT longer.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
User avatar
gangrenous
Laurie Daley
Posts: 12225
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Where do you get your news from?

Post by gangrenous »

Being around and being prevalent are two different things.

A third of Americans believe the election was rigged or something crazy...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 46237
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by The Nickman »

From the below link, feel free to peruse at your own leisure...

“A common idea among lay people, journalists, and academics seems to be that we now live in an “age of conspiracism.” To some extent, this assumption is understandable: Conspiracy theories can be found everywhere on the Internet, and statistics reveal that large portions of ordinary citizens endorse them for a wide range of topics (Oliver and Wood, 2014; Sunstein and Vermeule, 2009). As a consequence, both authors of this article are regularly approached by journalists who typically ask whether—or even downright assume that—conspiracy beliefs are “on the rise” in our current era. But is this actually true? What does the empirical evidence say about the prevalence of conspiracy thinking over time?

In an admirable and exceptionally labor-intensive research project, Uscinski and Parent (2014) randomly selected a total of 104,803 published letters that US citizens sent to the New York Times and the Chicago Tribune between 1890 and 2010. These researchers, and a team of trained assistants, coded the letters for conspiratorial content. Each era has its own crisis situations, of course, and accordingly the content of specific conspiracy theories varied substantially over time. But more interesting was the prevalence of conspiracy theories: The extent to which these letters contained conspiracy theories fluctuated but did not increase over time. If anything, there were two spikes in the data suggesting increased conspiratorial content; however, these spikes were not in the current decade.”

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.117 ... 8017701615
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Coastalraider
John Ferguson
Posts: 2809
Joined: May 31, 2015, 7:25 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by Coastalraider »

The Nickman wrote: March 8, 2021, 6:00 am From the below link, feel free to peruse at your own leisure...

“A common idea among lay people, journalists, and academics seems to be that we now live in an “age of conspiracism.” To some extent, this assumption is understandable: Conspiracy theories can be found everywhere on the Internet, and statistics reveal that large portions of ordinary citizens endorse them for a wide range of topics (Oliver and Wood, 2014; Sunstein and Vermeule, 2009). As a consequence, both authors of this article are regularly approached by journalists who typically ask whether—or even downright assume that—conspiracy beliefs are “on the rise” in our current era. But is this actually true? What does the empirical evidence say about the prevalence of conspiracy thinking over time?

In an admirable and exceptionally labor-intensive research project, Uscinski and Parent (2014) randomly selected a total of 104,803 published letters that US citizens sent to the New York Times and the Chicago Tribune between 1890 and 2010. These researchers, and a team of trained assistants, coded the letters for conspiratorial content. Each era has its own crisis situations, of course, and accordingly the content of specific conspiracy theories varied substantially over time. But more interesting was the prevalence of conspiracy theories: The extent to which these letters contained conspiracy theories fluctuated but did not increase over time. If anything, there were two spikes in the data suggesting increased conspiratorial content; however, these spikes were not in the current decade.”

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.117 ... 8017701615
Any academic project that relies on empirical data is clearly a coverup conspiracy, developed and implemented by our reptilian overlords. Seriously Nickman, you cant believe everything you read online.

WAKE UP SHEEPLE!!!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 46237
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Where do you get your news from?

Post by The Nickman »

Coastalraider wrote: March 8, 2021, 11:21 am
The Nickman wrote: March 8, 2021, 6:00 am From the below link, feel free to peruse at your own leisure...

“A common idea among lay people, journalists, and academics seems to be that we now live in an “age of conspiracism.” To some extent, this assumption is understandable: Conspiracy theories can be found everywhere on the Internet, and statistics reveal that large portions of ordinary citizens endorse them for a wide range of topics (Oliver and Wood, 2014; Sunstein and Vermeule, 2009). As a consequence, both authors of this article are regularly approached by journalists who typically ask whether—or even downright assume that—conspiracy beliefs are “on the rise” in our current era. But is this actually true? What does the empirical evidence say about the prevalence of conspiracy thinking over time?

In an admirable and exceptionally labor-intensive research project, Uscinski and Parent (2014) randomly selected a total of 104,803 published letters that US citizens sent to the New York Times and the Chicago Tribune between 1890 and 2010. These researchers, and a team of trained assistants, coded the letters for conspiratorial content. Each era has its own crisis situations, of course, and accordingly the content of specific conspiracy theories varied substantially over time. But more interesting was the prevalence of conspiracy theories: The extent to which these letters contained conspiracy theories fluctuated but did not increase over time. If anything, there were two spikes in the data suggesting increased conspiratorial content; however, these spikes were not in the current decade.”

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.117 ... 8017701615
Any academic project that relies on empirical data is clearly a coverup conspiracy, developed and implemented by our reptilian overlords. Seriously Nickman, you cant believe everything you read online.

WAKE UP SHEEPLE!!!
Good point, I probably should've just done my own research first... if anyone needs me, I'll be watching youtube videos.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Post Reply