The Politics Thread 2021

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 46291
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by The Nickman »

I'd honestly be more than happy with our current political system and it's just called a President instead of Prime Minister.

Or even just keep it as Prime Minister, but we're a republic... can we even do that?
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 30180
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: March 10, 2021, 9:37 am I'd honestly be more than happy with our current political system and it's just called a President instead of Prime Minister.

Or even just keep it as Prime Minister, but we're a republic... can we even do that?
Yeah the current system should largely stay untouched save for the titles etc. in any republic
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 46291
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by The Nickman »

I'd be stoked by that. To be honest I'd be happy to stay the same as we are right now, just with the whole damned Commonwealth moving away from the royal family, England included.

Like I said earlier, a Monarchy is such an outdated political system, it's actually a very good reason why the Abrahamic religions (such as Christianity) are all very outdated systems of religion too.

But I guess that's a topic for another thread...
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 135073
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by greeneyed »

There is no need to change the system of government in anything other than a minimal fashion, if Australia were to become a republic.

The head of state is a safeguard role, that has limited constitutional powers now. That needn’t (shouldn’t in my view) change. The role of Governor General becomes President, but it is maintained as a ceremonial position. The head of state would be appointed by say, two thirds of the Parliament, to maintain their non partisan position. If people feel a need for the electorate to vote, it could be a choice amongst those nominated by a two thirds majority of the Australian Parliament, possibly State Parliaments.
Image
Fuifui Bradbrad
Steve Walters
Posts: 7046
Joined: May 3, 2008, 10:23 pm
Favourite Player: Phil Graham
Location: Marsden Park

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad »

zim wrote:I just want an Australian version of Olympus Has Fallen with Ernie Dingo as President. Can't do that tied down to the royals.
You’ve done it. This has swung me over. If Bill Hunter was still alive, he would have walked into a role also
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
User avatar
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20892
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:There is no need to change the system of government in anything other than a minimal fashion, if Australia were to become a republic.

The head of state is a safeguard role, that has limited constitutional powers now. That needn’t (shouldn’t in my view) change. The role of Governor General becomes President, but it is maintained as a ceremonial position. The head of state would be appointed by say, two thirds of the Parliament, to maintain their non partisan position. If people feel a need for the electorate to vote, it could be a choice amongst those nominated by a two thirds majority of the Australian Parliament, possibly State Parliaments.
I'd be onboard with this. Problem is, if I recall correctly, the problem with the last referendum was that the public weren't buying into the government nominating the president. Your last suggestion would go some way to satisfying that, but as we have witnessed in the past 12 months, people are stoopid
User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 24376
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by Seiffert82 »

Once the Queen passes on we are on a one way trip to Republictown.

Agree with the sentiment that the current system doesn't need too much tweaking. A president elected by 2/3 of parliament seems reasonable, sticking with the current 5 year terms plus a short extension if required.
User avatar
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Posts: 16315
Joined: March 14, 2010, 4:00 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by Schifty »

Dr Zaius wrote: March 10, 2021, 6:59 pm
greeneyed wrote:There is no need to change the system of government in anything other than a minimal fashion, if Australia were to become a republic.

The head of state is a safeguard role, that has limited constitutional powers now. That needn’t (shouldn’t in my view) change. The role of Governor General becomes President, but it is maintained as a ceremonial position. The head of state would be appointed by say, two thirds of the Parliament, to maintain their non partisan position. If people feel a need for the electorate to vote, it could be a choice amongst those nominated by a two thirds majority of the Australian Parliament, possibly State Parliaments.
I'd be onboard with this. Problem is, if I recall correctly, the problem with the last referendum was that the public weren't buying into the government nominating the president. Your last suggestion would go some way to satisfying that, but as we have witnessed in the past 12 months, people are stoopid
Pretty sure last time people were also upset we wouldn't be allowed to compete at the commonwealth games.

Imagine a world where we can't put 17 goals past Guyana in field hockey.
User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 30180
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by Botman »

Schifty wrote: March 10, 2021, 8:04 pm
Imagine a world where we can't put 17 goals past Guyana in field hockey.

Nope. I dont want to. And you cant make me.
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;
User avatar
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20892
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by Dr Zaius »

Schifty wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: March 10, 2021, 6:59 pm
greeneyed wrote:There is no need to change the system of government in anything other than a minimal fashion, if Australia were to become a republic.

The head of state is a safeguard role, that has limited constitutional powers now. That needn’t (shouldn’t in my view) change. The role of Governor General becomes President, but it is maintained as a ceremonial position. The head of state would be appointed by say, two thirds of the Parliament, to maintain their non partisan position. If people feel a need for the electorate to vote, it could be a choice amongst those nominated by a two thirds majority of the Australian Parliament, possibly State Parliaments.
I'd be onboard with this. Problem is, if I recall correctly, the problem with the last referendum was that the public weren't buying into the government nominating the president. Your last suggestion would go some way to satisfying that, but as we have witnessed in the past 12 months, people are stoopid
Pretty sure last time people were also upset we wouldn't be allowed to compete at the commonwealth games.

Imagine a world where we can't put 17 goals past Guyana in field hockey.
Why would you even say such a thing?!
User avatar
zim
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8762
Joined: July 8, 2015, 3:38 pm
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
Location: Sydney

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by zim »

Interested on people's thoughts on the tourism dollars for QLD.

On the one hand you've got a state leader that **** around with covid closures for political reasons knowing full well she could then later come with the donation plate to the federal government. Politically having the cake and eating it too as it were.
On the other hand families that rely on those businesses need those dollars.
User avatar
T_R
Don Furner
Posts: 16216
Joined: August 4, 2006, 9:41 am
Location: Noosa

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by T_R »

zim wrote:Interested on people's thoughts on the tourism dollars for QLD.

On the one hand you've got a state leader that **** around with covid closures for political reasons knowing full well she could then later come with the donation plate to the federal government. Politically having the cake and eating it too as it were.
On the other hand families that rely on those businesses need those dollars.
It's nothing to do with tourism - it's an aviation support package. Domestic tourism providers in places like Byron and Noosa are booming out of control .... they literally can't find enough staff. You can't get a room in those places and have to make dinner reservations weeks ahead. Nickman and his bogan mates aren't able to go to Bali, so they're buying their Fluffy Ducks in Noosa instead.

International facing tourism is, of course, utterly smashed, but this will do nothing to help those providers.

They're propping up airlines, just doing it in way that is palatable to voters.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Image

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Fuifui Bradbrad
Steve Walters
Posts: 7046
Joined: May 3, 2008, 10:23 pm
Favourite Player: Phil Graham
Location: Marsden Park

The Politics Thread 2021

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad »

I think the whole idea is a shambles.

The only place in NSW that made the list is Merimbula. As a Bega boy, I’m chuffed, but there are other places like the Blue Mountains missing out.

Meanwhile Tassie had 3 places within an hour of each other, and Vic has Avalon... I don’t even know what tourist attractions are out there in Avalon. WA had one place in the whole state, and ACT has none.

Meanwhile the tourism sectors aren’t getting anything. I haven’t looked much into which party holds these seats, and how strongly, but I’m smelling Pork
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
User avatar
zim
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8762
Joined: July 8, 2015, 3:38 pm
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
Location: Sydney

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by zim »

T_R wrote: March 12, 2021, 7:50 am
zim wrote:Interested on people's thoughts on the tourism dollars for QLD.

On the one hand you've got a state leader that **** around with covid closures for political reasons knowing full well she could then later come with the donation plate to the federal government. Politically having the cake and eating it too as it were.
On the other hand families that rely on those businesses need those dollars.
It's nothing to do with tourism - it's an aviation support package. Domestic tourism providers in places like Byron and Noosa are booming out of control .... they literally can't find enough staff. You can't get a room in those places and have to make dinner reservations weeks ahead. Nickman and his bogan mates aren't able to go to Bali, so they're buying their Fluffy Ducks in Noosa instead.

International facing tourism is, of course, utterly smashed, but this will do nothing to help those providers.

They're propping up airlines, just doing it in way that is palatable to voters.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
That's true regarding the airlines and nickman, but I see it as majority of the money in these trips is going to end up at the destination not in the plane ticket. Obviously that's not coming straight out of the government but it is the end result.
I guess you need to offer people destinations they'd actually want to fly to if you want to get them on these flights.... but is there something besides that which requires all these great flights to QLD and hardly anything elsewhere?

They've got fewer issues but will now be getting another injection from thirsty new south welshmen.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 46291
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote: March 12, 2021, 7:50 am
zim wrote:Interested on people's thoughts on the tourism dollars for QLD.

On the one hand you've got a state leader that **** around with covid closures for political reasons knowing full well she could then later come with the donation plate to the federal government. Politically having the cake and eating it too as it were.
On the other hand families that rely on those businesses need those dollars.
It's nothing to do with tourism - it's an aviation support package. Domestic tourism providers in places like Byron and Noosa are booming out of control .... they literally can't find enough staff. You can't get a room in those places and have to make dinner reservations weeks ahead. Nickman and his bogan mates aren't able to go to Bali, so they're buying their Fluffy Ducks in Noosa instead.

International facing tourism is, of course, utterly smashed, but this will do nothing to help those providers.

They're propping up airlines, just doing it in way that is palatable to voters.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
The only "Bogan mate" I've drunk with on the Sunshine Coast since COVID started had a skinful of 6.5% beers and then drove home!
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
User avatar
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20892
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by Dr Zaius »

My feelings on Palaszczuk are well documented. A lot of what she has done in the past 12 months is frankly disgraceful. To stick her hat out and ask for a hand out to help an industry that she had no small part in ruining is laughable.

You could argue that Queenslanders voted her back in and deserve what they get. I think however that's not necessarily the case in hardest hit areas such as the GC.

I take TRs point about places like Noosa being busier than usual. I think that is the case in a lot of regional places around the country. All reports though are that Cairns is struggling. My observation of the GC is that weekends are busy, but weekdays are dead quiet.

I think it's a fairly clever "travel stimulus package". People are reluctant to book flights due to border closures. This reduces the risk financially. I haven't seen the list, but I'd hope it's prioritised areas that rely on tourism that have been hit hardest, with representation across the states.
User avatar
zim
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8762
Joined: July 8, 2015, 3:38 pm
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
Location: Sydney

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by zim »

Dr Zaius wrote: March 12, 2021, 6:39 pm My feelings on Palaszczuk are well documented. A lot of what she has done in the past 12 months is frankly disgraceful. To stick her hat out and ask for a hand out to help an industry that she had no small part in ruining is laughable.

You could argue that Queenslanders voted her back in and deserve what they get. I think however that's not necessarily the case in hardest hit areas such as the GC.

I take TRs point about places like Noosa being busier than usual. I think that is the case in a lot of regional places around the country. All reports though are that Cairns is struggling. My observation of the GC is that weekends are busy, but weekdays are dead quiet.

I think it's a fairly clever "travel stimulus package". People are reluctant to book flights due to border closures. This reduces the risk financially. I haven't seen the list, but I'd hope it's prioritised areas that rely on tourism that have been hit hardest, with representation across the states.
Here's a list:
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... ut-package

1 destination in NSW and it's not GIO.
User avatar
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20892
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by Dr Zaius »

zim wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: March 12, 2021, 6:39 pm My feelings on Palaszczuk are well documented. A lot of what she has done in the past 12 months is frankly disgraceful. To stick her hat out and ask for a hand out to help an industry that she had no small part in ruining is laughable.

You could argue that Queenslanders voted her back in and deserve what they get. I think however that's not necessarily the case in hardest hit areas such as the GC.

I take TRs point about places like Noosa being busier than usual. I think that is the case in a lot of regional places around the country. All reports though are that Cairns is struggling. My observation of the GC is that weekends are busy, but weekdays are dead quiet.

I think it's a fairly clever "travel stimulus package". People are reluctant to book flights due to border closures. This reduces the risk financially. I haven't seen the list, but I'd hope it's prioritised areas that rely on tourism that have been hit hardest, with representation across the states.
Here's a list:
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... ut-package

1 destination in NSW and it's not GIO.
It doesn't look that unreasonable. It's not like it's an extensive list with notable absences. It's a select few. I might jump on the Uluru or Tassie one.

Queensland seemed to benefit most and have been hardest hit. Places like Cairns and the GC rely on international tourism more than most other places, but no doubt that Palaszczuks shenanigans last year play a roll in the pain they are suffering. My sister twice cancelled her family of 5s holiday to Cairns last year, despite coming from Queanbeyan which I think has had the sum total of one case.
User avatar
zim
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8762
Joined: July 8, 2015, 3:38 pm
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
Location: Sydney

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by zim »

I mean the majority of the money is going to come from NSW to pay for it isn't it? And most of the money spent at the destinations is going to be from NSW. Seems a bit lopsided for a state that handled the situation appropriately.
Anyway the broncos have lost so really that's all that matters now.
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 135073
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by greeneyed »

zim wrote: March 12, 2021, 9:13 pm
Dr Zaius wrote: March 12, 2021, 6:39 pm My feelings on Palaszczuk are well documented. A lot of what she has done in the past 12 months is frankly disgraceful. To stick her hat out and ask for a hand out to help an industry that she had no small part in ruining is laughable.

You could argue that Queenslanders voted her back in and deserve what they get. I think however that's not necessarily the case in hardest hit areas such as the GC.

I take TRs point about places like Noosa being busier than usual. I think that is the case in a lot of regional places around the country. All reports though are that Cairns is struggling. My observation of the GC is that weekends are busy, but weekdays are dead quiet.

I think it's a fairly clever "travel stimulus package". People are reluctant to book flights due to border closures. This reduces the risk financially. I haven't seen the list, but I'd hope it's prioritised areas that rely on tourism that have been hit hardest, with representation across the states.
Here's a list:
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... ut-package

1 destination in NSW and it's not GIO.
Canberra is not in NSW.
Image
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 135073
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by greeneyed »

zim wrote: March 12, 2021, 9:37 pm I mean the majority of the money is going to come from NSW to pay for it isn't it? And most of the money spent at the destinations is going to be from NSW. Seems a bit lopsided for a state that handled the situation appropriately.
Anyway the broncos have lost so really that's all that matters now.
No, the majority of tax money doesn’t come from NSW.
Image
Fuifui Bradbrad
Steve Walters
Posts: 7046
Joined: May 3, 2008, 10:23 pm
Favourite Player: Phil Graham
Location: Marsden Park

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad »

greeneyed wrote:
zim wrote: March 12, 2021, 9:37 pm I mean the majority of the money is going to come from NSW to pay for it isn't it? And most of the money spent at the destinations is going to be from NSW. Seems a bit lopsided for a state that handled the situation appropriately.
Anyway the broncos have lost so really that's all that matters now.
No, the majority of tax money doesn’t come from NSW.
I do see the point of the Qld politicians today. It’s for interstate travellers, so Queenslanders can’t use the incentive for a Qld holiday.

So the people most likely to use it would be NSW, Vic and possibly WA, because they have the least amount of destinations.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
User avatar
zim
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8762
Joined: July 8, 2015, 3:38 pm
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
Location: Sydney

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: March 12, 2021, 9:47 pm
zim wrote: March 12, 2021, 9:37 pm I mean the majority of the money is going to come from NSW to pay for it isn't it? And most of the money spent at the destinations is going to be from NSW. Seems a bit lopsided for a state that handled the situation appropriately.
Anyway the broncos have lost so really that's all that matters now.
No, the majority of tax money doesn’t come from NSW.
Well they were. Who is it now? Victoria?
User avatar
zim
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8762
Joined: July 8, 2015, 3:38 pm
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
Location: Sydney

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: March 12, 2021, 9:46 pm
zim wrote: March 12, 2021, 9:13 pm
Dr Zaius wrote: March 12, 2021, 6:39 pm My feelings on Palaszczuk are well documented. A lot of what she has done in the past 12 months is frankly disgraceful. To stick her hat out and ask for a hand out to help an industry that she had no small part in ruining is laughable.

You could argue that Queenslanders voted her back in and deserve what they get. I think however that's not necessarily the case in hardest hit areas such as the GC.

I take TRs point about places like Noosa being busier than usual. I think that is the case in a lot of regional places around the country. All reports though are that Cairns is struggling. My observation of the GC is that weekends are busy, but weekdays are dead quiet.

I think it's a fairly clever "travel stimulus package". People are reluctant to book flights due to border closures. This reduces the risk financially. I haven't seen the list, but I'd hope it's prioritised areas that rely on tourism that have been hit hardest, with representation across the states.
Here's a list:
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... ut-package

1 destination in NSW and it's not GIO.
Canberra is not in NSW.
Alright, I may have been throwing a line out there :lol:.
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 135073
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by greeneyed »

zim wrote: March 12, 2021, 10:05 pm
greeneyed wrote: March 12, 2021, 9:47 pm
zim wrote: March 12, 2021, 9:37 pm I mean the majority of the money is going to come from NSW to pay for it isn't it? And most of the money spent at the destinations is going to be from NSW. Seems a bit lopsided for a state that handled the situation appropriately.
Anyway the broncos have lost so really that's all that matters now.
No, the majority of tax money doesn’t come from NSW.
Well they were. Who is it now? Victoria?
No State produces the “majority” of tax revenue.
Image
User avatar
zim
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8762
Joined: July 8, 2015, 3:38 pm
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
Location: Sydney

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by zim »

Maybe I'm mixing my terms up. I did some searching about before I originally commented and the most recent stuff I could find that made sense was 2017 tax reports that had NSW at 1 and Vic at 2, but I may have been mixing up whether that ended up in federal hands. I do tend to tread water when it comes to this stuff.
User avatar
gangrenous
Laurie Daley
Posts: 12244
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by gangrenous »

I think GE is saying that tax across all states and territories won’t have a single state supplying the majority.

You’ll have a largest contributor, but it won’t go near 50%
User avatar
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20892
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by Dr Zaius »

gangrenous wrote:I think GE is saying that tax across all states and territories won’t have a single state supplying the majority.

You’ll have a largest contributor, but it won’t go near 50%
Unlike states quaranting returning overseas Australians
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 135073
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: March 13, 2021, 5:39 am I think GE is saying that tax across all states and territories won’t have a single state supplying the majority.

You’ll have a largest contributor, but it won’t go near 50%
Yes, that's what I'm saying.
Image
User avatar
zim
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8762
Joined: July 8, 2015, 3:38 pm
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
Location: Sydney

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by zim »

gangrenous wrote: March 13, 2021, 5:39 am I think GE is saying that tax across all states and territories won’t have a single state supplying the majority.
You’ll have a largest contributor, but it won’t go near 50%
Ah thanks for clearing that up. When I posted I did mean to say that NSW were contributing the most but if it's well down on percentage, my point is not a valid one.
User avatar
Mickey_Raider
John Ferguson
Posts: 2476
Joined: March 16, 2008, 7:15 am
Favourite Player: Big Papa
Location: North Sydney

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Liberals getting wiped out as expected in WA.

I find it hard to believe this won't translate into at least modest losses for the LNP federally, notwithstanding that the McGowan factor is by far the most determinative in the WA landslide.

I think the Labor brand has recovered a little bit in both QLD and WA since 2019. Particularly in the former, even a slight uptick in fortunes from their basement position (6 out of 30 seats) at the moment and you are looking at a flipped result.

To that end I will restate my earlier prediction: Labor will win the next federal election in a minority government with 73-74 seats.
Last edited by Mickey_Raider on March 13, 2021, 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Up The Milk
User avatar
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20892
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by Dr Zaius »

Imagine voting for that wanker.
User avatar
T_R
Don Furner
Posts: 16216
Joined: August 4, 2006, 9:41 am
Location: Noosa

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by T_R »

Doubt there's much to take from this Federally other than incumbents are killing it at the polls.

Perth is weird at the moment. I was over there a week ago. Every conversation started off with how happy I must have been to finally be somewhere that was safe from COVID, and not lockdown all the time.

Honestly, everyone seems to think the East Coast is suffering a zombie apocalypse, and only their Premier saved them from the same fate.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk


Image

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
User avatar
Mickey_Raider
John Ferguson
Posts: 2476
Joined: March 16, 2008, 7:15 am
Favourite Player: Big Papa
Location: North Sydney

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by Mickey_Raider »

T_R wrote: March 13, 2021, 9:31 pm Doubt there's much to take from this Federally other than incumbents are killing it at the polls.

Perth is weird at the moment. I was over there a week ago. Every conversation started off with how happy I must have been to finally be somewhere that was safe from COVID, and not lockdown all the time.

Honestly, everyone seems to think the East Coast is suffering a zombie apocalypse, and only their Premier saved them from the same fate.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Historically the discordant state/federal results obviously suggest that State results don't necessarily translate to federal.

However I find it hard to believe that there wouldn't be at least a slight crossover in this groundswell of support. And even a slight crossover from the gargantuan win they just experienced has considerable ramifications federally.
Last edited by Mickey_Raider on March 13, 2021, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Up The Milk
User avatar
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20892
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by Dr Zaius »

T_R wrote:Doubt there's much to take from this Federally other than incumbents are killing it at the polls.

Perth is weird at the moment. I was over there a week ago. Every conversation started off with how happy I must have been to finally be somewhere that was safe from COVID, and not lockdown all the time.

Honestly, everyone seems to think the East Coast is suffering a zombie apocalypse, and only their Premier saved them from the same fate.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Its the MO

Palaszczuk operated from the same play book.

Convince the people that Covid is rampant everywhere but here, and you are the one that saved them. They will be thankful and reward you appropriately.

With the exception of Victoria, Covid hasn't been out of control anywhere since March/April. Some of the restrictions have been purely political. Expect to see WA border restrictions ease off a bit now that the election is over. In fact they seem to have already. A month ago Queensland would have been locked out by now.
Post Reply