The Politics Thread 2021

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

The Politics Thread 2021

Post by The Nickman »

Might be a prudent time to start this considering tomorrow at 11am (US time) there's going to be this "historic" Trump rally in Washington.

Should be fascinating viewing from afar and could literally go either way here. Here's some light reading for those not quite in the know...

As he seeks to prevent certification of election, Trump plans to attend DC rally

Leave your guns at home, Washington police warn pro-Trump rally-goers

Proud Boys leader arrested for destruction of property ahead of DC protests against election results
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by Dr Zaius »

"I hope Mike Pence comes through for us, I have to tell you," Trump told the crowd in Dalton, Georgia on Tuesday (AEDT).

"I hope that our great Vice-President comes through for us... Of course, if he doesn’t come through, I won’t like him quite as much."

As Vice-President, Pence is responsible under the US constitution for opening and tallying the election results from all 50 states when Congress meets on Thursday (AEDT). His role is essentially ceremonial and he does not have the power to reject the results from particular states.

"Watch what's going to be revealed," Trump said in his 90-minute speech. "You watch."
Referring to the prospect of remaining in the White House until 2024, Trump said: "I think we're going to do it - I really believe it."

Good grief
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Pence has already said he's not going to play along with Trump on this one.

Even vice-presidents like Al Gore in 2000 ratified the election decision AGAINST them, there's no reason Pence won't.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Doesn't sound like he has the power not to.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote: January 5, 2021, 4:10 pm Doesn't sound like he has the power not to.
Yeah, that's probably correct, otherwise why would so many VP's over the years have actually done it?

Either way, tomorrow's (US time) rallies in DC could either be a complete bloodbath or an absolute fizzer... there is no in-between.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

A fizzing blood bath?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Exactly.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

So far all the concerning dates in the US have come and gone without significant events. Hopefully continue that way...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gangrenous wrote: January 5, 2021, 4:59 pm So far all the concerning dates in the US have come and gone without significant events. Hopefully continue that way...
Yeah, look, I genuinely don't know about this one, it seems to have a bit of a "feel" about it... but like I said already, there's a good chance it just fizzles out.

I still think the likely scenario from all this is Trump slinks away, starts his own news network and runs again in 2024.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:
gangrenous wrote: January 5, 2021, 4:59 pm So far all the concerning dates in the US have come and gone without significant events. Hopefully continue that way...
Yeah, look, I genuinely don't know about this one, it seems to have a bit of a "feel" about it... but like I said already, there's a good chance it just fizzles out.

I still think the likely scenario from all this is Trump slinks away, starts his own news network and runs again in 2024.
Can't run from gaol
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:

How would he distinguish his news channel from Fox?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

It's already well established by lawyers that Pence cant overturn the election

The law governing that process specifically limits the power of the VP from doing so, and that law was put in place because a VP did some shady **** back in the mid 1800's.

What can and might actually happen is an objection can be raised officially, and if it does, it forces the House and Senate to retire and consider the objection, each member of those branches gets i think 5 minutes to state their view... then they vote, if both the House and Senate agree to the objection then the dominos start falling... but since the Dems control the house, it will only draw the process out.
Even that **** ghoul Mitch McConnell is backing away from this whole mess and was reportedly trying to be a voice of reason in the party to say they need to stop this and not antagonise the voters in the lead up to the Georgia run offs..

Donnie's cooked, there is no way out of this bar dictatorship... and it's alarming that he actually even sort of talked about going down that path.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Watching the Georgia results come in on CNN. Polls just closed. Love an election count.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I predict the winner will be......

China, Russia, Iran, Yemen and any other country that is encouraging a US political meltdown.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

gergreg wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

He's bailed on fox, he's all over that one America news channel now

Which is just pure propaganda

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: January 6, 2021, 10:24 am
gergreg wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

He's bailed on fox, he's all over that one America news channel now

Which is just pure propaganda

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Fox News showed a slight bit of independence by calling Arizona (as I recall) for Biden, prematurely according to Trump. As a result, all Trump supporters started deserting Fox in droves, because they were too "liberal". If you've watched it since, it is difficult to imagine a channel that pumps out more right wing propaganda. But I guess there must be one.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Yep. There’s a big difference between the Fox News opinion hosts and the actual news team. One of those two rely on evidence based reporting. Not too hard to guess which one.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

To be fair on Trump, it really can't be that hard to find an additional 11,780 votes just for him, somewhere in one of those election box thingamejigs. Georgia is quite a large state.

Once that's sorted, all he needs is another 11 electoral college votes to overturn this clearly shambolic result.

Hello Katie Hobbs...this is The Donald...I just need you to find an extra 10,458 votes for me behind the couch in Arizona. Yep, that's like many thousands less than the number Raffensperger found for me. I had like 5 million people at my rallies in your state...hello Katie...Katie?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They've been counting the early votes in Georgia first this time... the Democrat leads are being whittled away to not much at all at present. Two thirds of the vote counted. One point lead in one race... now one is 50/50. This is nail biting at the moment.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Both Democratic candidates had a large early lead of around 5 percentage points. Given the current trend I think the Republicans are home and hosed.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82 wrote: January 6, 2021, 12:21 pm Both Democratic candidates had a large early lead of around 5 percentage points. Given the current trend I think the Republicans are home and hosed.
The thing is, there are a lot of Democrat votes still to come in the cities. 50/50 in one race and Democrats behind by one percentage point in the other.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Warnock is going to win

Ossoff vs Perdue is going to be very, very tight... i think Ossoff might just sneak it home
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Hard to tell, but votes over the last 90 minutes have been favouring Republicans. Democrats will have to overturn this trend over the coming few hours.

This is tight folks. Might go to the 100th minute like the superleague tri series of 1997.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

There is some huge democratic counties that will come in the next 2-3 hours
It's going to swing pretty hard to the dems on both races
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Both seats reporting 87% vote count with clear leads to the Republicans. Would have to be a significant turnaround from here for the Dems given postals are already counted.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Can’t you do anything right any more America?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:There is some huge democratic counties that will come in the next 2-3 hours
It's going to swing pretty hard to the dems on both races
Let’s hope so.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Seiffert82 wrote: January 6, 2021, 1:45 pm Both seats reporting 87% vote count with clear leads to the Republicans. Would have to be a significant turnaround from here for the Dems given postals are already counted.
We're not going to do this again, are we guys?

Dekalb county is going to drop soon and it's going to put both Dem candidates in front.
Wornock is going to win, im fairly sure of that. Ossoff probably will too but the swing to him isnt as strong as Wornock, which is curious and something im sure the commentators will be eager to speculate on
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

That’s what I prefer to hear
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

FWIW checked this and it backs up my thoughts
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... noffs.html

Nothing that has happened so far is unexpected or prohibits a Dem win.. The counties still to come in are going lean extremely heavily democratic and they are some of the biggest in the state
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

COLOUR ME STUNNED

Dekalb county just dropped a ton of votes.... Warnock goes to the lead, Ossoff brings the vote within 3k
The Dems will get both seats
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Well, there you go. Seems to be a reasonably clear message to the Republican party more broadly about how they have responded to Trump's shenanigans.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Always a good day when Kelly Loeffler is dumped out on her **** ****.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Thank John that sanity has finally prevailed... Trump overwhelmingly voted out, the Democrats maintain control of the senate... there's a lot of work required over the next four years, but at least now Biden has the power to make actual change.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Warnock claims victory.