Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by -TW- »

Who in their right mind would go out of their way to meet Craig Kelly

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

The Politics Thread 2021

Post by BJ »

-TW- wrote:Who in their right mind would go out of their way to meet Craig Kelly

I guess people like going to the freak show or paid to see Waterworld.

Also maybe people in their far right mind.....
Swiller
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Josh Papali

Post by Swiller »

BJ wrote: March 20, 2021, 11:03 pm
-TW- wrote:Who in their right mind would go out of their way to meet Craig Kelly

I guess people like going to the freak show or paid to see Waterworld.

Also maybe people in their far right mind.....
At least they have a mind lol
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Bring out - THE TROLL!
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Now Morrison is getting slammed for misleading the parliament...he had a freudian slip and started saying "I misled the..."

He is also repeatedly refusing to answer point blank questions about whether he asked his staff whether they conducted backgrounding on Brittany Higgins' loved ones and Dutton is trying to shield him from answering.

Maybe it is the "ideological warrior" in me just nitpicking away at a government I don't like, but am I wrong in saying that Morrison is actually in trouble here?

It seems like he is lurching from one disaster to the next in 2021.
Up The Milk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: March 22, 2021, 1:31 pm Now Morrison is getting slammed for misleading the parliament...he had a freudian slip and started saying "I misled the..."

He is also repeatedly refusing to answer point blank questions about whether he asked his staff whether they conducted backgrounding on Brittany Higgins' loved ones and Dutton is trying to shield him from answering.

Maybe it is the "ideological warrior" in me just nitpicking away at a government I don't like, but am I wrong in saying that Morrison is actually in trouble here?

I think you might be right here, this genuinely smells like it could be really bad news for the Morrison government's re-election.

And honestly, if covering up sexual assault is the reason his government gets voted out, I'm completely fine with that. Australia needs to start doing so much better.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Probably leading up to a libspill again

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Another libspill will be the end of them too you'd reckon, almost certainly if Dutton wins.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Dutton winning anything has to be a worst case scenario.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

zim wrote: March 22, 2021, 2:27 pm Dutton winning anything has to be a worst case scenario.
Shorten would be our Prime Minister right now if Dutton had beaten ScoMo.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

The Nickman wrote: March 22, 2021, 2:24 pm Another libspill will be the end of them too you'd reckon, almost certainly if Dutton wins.
I genuinely reckon the LNP could survive another Libspill as they did in 2019.

If, say, Frydenberg was installed as leader he could present as being detached from all of this current scandal and just being focused on economic recovery and I think Australia could go for it.

BUT, I think the above would need to be predicated on Labor being vulnerable to attack, as they were in 2019. If they remain small target and don't come to the election with a suite of redistributive measures then a Libspill would indeed be the end of the LNP, surely.

Anthony Albanese simply does not evoke the contempt that Shorten did, he just doesn't.

It is probably all academic though, they will stick by Morrison to the bitter end.
Up The Milk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Nickman wrote:
zim wrote: March 22, 2021, 2:27 pm Dutton winning anything has to be a worst case scenario.
Shorten would be our Prime Minister right now if Dutton had beaten ScoMo.
That really is that old South Park line

It's a choice between a douche and a ****

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: March 20, 2021, 6:10 pm I’m so sorry dubs, hope the rest of your weekend improves
:lol: :lol:
Credit where it's due, old friend. That response got me proper LOL'ing :lol: :lol:
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: March 22, 2021, 2:24 pm Another libspill will be the end of them too you'd reckon, almost certainly if Dutton wins.
I dont think Morrison would lose a spill.
I think he's got a pretty solid base of support and i think most of the LNP are keen to retain their jobs and an election is still a pretty long way off... plenty of time to weather the storm

Also, if i were looking for LNP leadership, now is absolutely NOT the time to take the lead, you're taking too many stray bullets right now. Let Morrison soak this up and if i think i have the numbers, i'd make my move later in the year and focus on a very quick strike election campaign

But yeah, Dutton isnt winning any **** election. Nor should he.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:
Mickey_Raider wrote: March 22, 2021, 1:31 pm Now Morrison is getting slammed for misleading the parliament...he had a freudian slip and started saying "I misled the..."

I think you might be right here, this genuinely smells like it could be really bad news for the Morrison government's re-election.

And honestly, if covering up sexual assault is the reason his government gets voted out, I'm completely fine with that. Australia needs to start doing so much better.
I'll have some of this. In fact, I wouldn't be unhappy seeing the back of them regardless.

Scomo is fairly underwhelming. His performance during the bush fires was awful. He was somewhat saved by Covid, by his messaging during the initial crisis was woeful. True, we have done very well, but I'm not convinced that is due to Scomo
Brendan Murphy recommended border restrictions and Gladys Berejiiklian and Dan Andrews dragged the rest of the country into the initial lock down. They have ignored their responsibility in regards to quarantine, and have performed poorly in rolling out the vaccine to the general community. Job Seeker and Job Keeper were excellent, and thing that I will give him credit for is that he has listened and followed advice. But overall there is a culture of shirking responsibility and claiming glory. Classic marketing.

Add to that the horrid far right element in that party. Peter Dutton. The reluctance to call out Craig Kelly. Peter Dutton. The hamstringing and eventual knifing of a capable and progressive PM. Peter Dutton.

I wouldn't be sad if they had a clean out and rebuild.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

If you're the libs do you gamble and call a snap election?

Labor hasn't really put anything forward resembling an alternate government

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Right now? No way. I think they lose today.

In six months time when people forget again maybe.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

gangrenous wrote: March 22, 2021, 8:35 pm Right now? No way. I think they lose today.

In six months time when people forget again maybe.
Double edged sword perhaps?

The longer they delay the more distance they can put between themselves and the stench of these scandals.

But they also put more distance between themselves and the COVID crisis. Once the misery experienced when hundreds of thousands of people are kicked off JK and the true un/underemployment figures are laid bare, I don't know how much political capital the LNP can dredge up from their COVID response from two years prior.
Up The Milk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

The economy will be absolutely **** booming though in twelve months time and all the signs are there already. Whoever is in power for the next two to five years will be in control for a truly golden period where it’ll be pretty hard to do much wrong.

Even Labor probably wouldn’t completely **** it all up.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

The Nickman wrote: March 22, 2021, 8:56 pm The economy will be absolutely **** booming though in twelve months time and all the signs are there already. Whoever is in power for the next two to five years will be in control for a truly golden period where it’ll be pretty hard to do much wrong.

Even Labor probably wouldn’t completely **** it all up.
Hopefully you are right.

However, the truth is that the underlying health of the economy was quite anaemic even before Covid. It is quite well documented that sluggish wage growth (deliberate policy design I might add) has been holding us back for some time and but for immigration we would have experienced recession well before covid.

Once you factor in that immigration levels will not be back to 2019 levels any time soon and you add in hundreds of thousands of people to the dole lines, and I find it hard to believe that things will just magically start booming. That is a double whammy that will take time to unwind without substantial government intervention.

Here’s hoping that you’re right though and we are booming this time next year, although I don’t think it will be the case.
Up The Milk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Would you care to bet fifty billion dollars on it?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Big ooft moment when Andrew Clennell from Sky News asked Scomo a question, and he basically told him not to throw stones cause of something going on at newscorp

Probably pick your targets better there champion.. seeing Sky News have now turned on him

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

If Rupert turns on him it is over.
Up The Milk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: March 23, 2021, 1:00 pm If Rupert turns on him it is over.
For those of you that believe he's only there because of Rupert, I guess that's correct.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

The Nickman wrote: March 23, 2021, 1:02 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: March 23, 2021, 1:00 pm If Rupert turns on him it is over.
For those of you that believe he's only there because of Rupert, I guess that's correct.
I thought the GH settled this debate already and concluded that while Rupert is by no means the sole or main determinative factor in who runs the country he does have an outsized influence over same.
Up The Milk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I think some of you think the LNP would never win without him, yes.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Hello strawman my old friend
Nickman is posting you again
Because he’s sure that he is always right
There is no nuance only black and white
The chance he’ll misconstrue your comment again
Still remains
Within the sound of Greenhouse
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

The Nickman wrote: March 23, 2021, 1:51 pm I think some of you think the LNP would never win without him, yes.
Name names Nickman
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

It begins

ImageImage

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

On a post about NSW easing restrictions. **** is wrong with these people?

tHe rAiN GlAdYs! WhY ArEn't you StOppIng the RAIN!? Image
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Zaius! I thought we told you to stop reading Facebook comments!

Seriously though, stop it for your mental health.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Get that man a sedative. Stat!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Dr Zaius wrote: March 22, 2021, 8:06 pm
The Nickman wrote:

I'll have some of this. In fact, I wouldn't be unhappy seeing the back of them regardless.

Scomo is fairly underwhelming. His performance during the bush fires was awful. He was somewhat saved by Covid, by his messaging during the initial crisis was woeful. True, we have done very well, but I'm not convinced that is due to Scomo
Brendan Murphy recommended border restrictions and Gladys Berejiiklian and Dan Andrews dragged the rest of the country into the initial lock down. They have ignored their responsibility in regards to quarantine, and have performed poorly in rolling out the vaccine to the general community. Job Seeker and Job Keeper were excellent, and thing that I will give him credit for is that he has listened and followed advice. But overall there is a culture of shirking responsibility and claiming glory. Classic marketing.

Add to that the horrid far right element in that party. Peter Dutton. The reluctance to call out Craig Kelly. Peter Dutton. The hamstringing and eventual knifing of a capable and progressive PM. Peter Dutton.

I wouldn't be sad if they had a clean out and rebuild.
Totally agree. The national response to the pandemic largely seemed to happen in spite of Morrison, not because of him.

Half the time he came out of those national cabinet meetings with a completely different take on discussions with the premiers and chief ministers...you name it...border closures, economic impacts, school closures, quarantine measures...

He's an entirely uninspiring and underwhelming leader. I honestly can't think of a single positive vision he has brought to the electorate. It makes me sad to think that he could possibly win an election on the back of a pandemic where his leadership was questionable. I honestly have no idea what his plan is for our future.

The way he has handled this sexual misconduct episode has been appalling.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-TW- wrote:It begins

ImageImage

I never read the DT but I do occasionally see the segment on ABC news breakfast on the front page headlines around the country. From what I have seen the DT hasn't had anything related to the current scandals but as soon as the PM has a shot at them its front page news.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gangrenous wrote:Zaius! I thought we told you to stop reading Facebook comments!

Seriously though, stop it for your mental health.
Oh yeah! I forgot.