Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: The Politics Thread 2020

Post by Manbush »

The Nickman wrote: November 4, 2020, 2:37 pm
Manbush wrote: November 4, 2020, 2:32 pm On a positive note we’ll no longer have Nickman pretending he’s awesome at predicting elections.
Think you might've spoken too soon, old friend. Sleepy Joe clawing back up off the canvas here.

This one's a long way from over.
If you’re correct I’ll change my signature to sing your praise, that’s how little confidence I have.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Manbush wrote: November 4, 2020, 2:42 pm
Manbush wrote: November 4, 2020, 2:32 pm On a positive note we’ll no longer have Nickman pretending he’s awesome at predicting elections.
Think you might've spoken too soon, old friend. Sleepy Joe clawing back up off the canvas here.

If you’re correct I’ll change my signature to sing your praise, that’s how little confidence I have.
Sweet, looking forward to it.

As I type this, Sleepy Joe Biden back down to $2.20 on Sportsbet after blowing out to high 3s. This one's far from over, lads.
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Especially when you consider the record turnout all voting for him.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Very far from over, but you'd have to have Trump as fairly hot favourite at this point...a lot of Democrat hopes on the 'early vote'.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Biden just spoke, saying he believes he's on track to win. But we need to count the votes.

I love election counts. I've had CNN on since last night. (I was aiming to get actual news and information, by watching the CNN coverage/ ;) )
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Trump just tweeted...

I will be making a statement tonight. A big WIN!

CNN saying that Trump is complaining that "they are trying to steal the election"... and Trump is trying to tell the networks not to project an Arizona win. Here's the tweet now...

"We are up BIG, but they are trying to STEAL the Election. We will never let them do it. Votes cannot be cast after the Polls are closed!"
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Hopefully the Democrats learn from the past two elections and stop putting up terrible **** candidates.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha they're not winning Arizona.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Biden tweet... and this is why Biden has some integrity, and Trump has none.

It's not my place or Donald Trump's place to declare the winner of this election. It's the voters' place.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The Nickman wrote:

Win or lose you were wrong from here predicting a comfortable win.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote: November 4, 2020, 1:00 pm Biden out to 3.75 now. I've had a little wager at that price. The trend is saying Trump but its still close.
You picked a good time to get on at that price!

This will be close. The postal votes will clearly heavily favour Biden due to Corona...and of course Trump being a complete ****.

Irrespective of the result, it just reiterates how volatile America is right now.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Re: The Politics Thread 2020ndin

Post by Seiffert82 »

rayden83 wrote: November 4, 2020, 8:28 am
Seiffert82 wrote: November 4, 2020, 6:48 am
rayden83 wrote: November 3, 2020, 7:24 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: November 3, 2020, 6:27 pm Quality banter Rayden, credit to you. :lol:

In all seriousness though, there have been some real characters in American politics over the years but Trump clearly takes the cake as the biggest **** of them all. Scarily this idiot has the nuclear codes at his fingertips, but thankfully the eyes of the world are sharply focussed on his antics.

Couldn't be bothered explaining why he's such a threat to global security and the welfare of your average American. Everyone other than Rayden have done a good job of that already.
Yeah the armchair experts on here have really nailed foreign policy. :roll:

The biggest threat to America is Biden is mistaking the nuclear button for the nurse button. He is worse than gaffe machine, he’s in the early stages of dementia, he will be lucky to see out a term.

What happened to all the doomsday predictions about Trump starting a nuclear war and ending the world? Instead he defeated Isis, withdrawn the military from the ME, tempered hostilities with NK, and negotiated several peace deals between Israel and Islamic countries. Can you imagine of Obama achieved any of this? He would be hailed as a saint, awarded Time person of the year and bombarded with Nobel Peace prizes. It’s a different standard for Democrats and Republicans.

The left cannot bring themselves to admit anything good or successful about Trump and his administration. He is a bad man and everything he does and says is bad. And if the does something good they’ll credit Obama for it. It’s both hilarious and sad at the same time. They don’t have any rational arguments against Trump so they resort to fake Russian scandals
or calling him names like racist and nazi, or sending out their lemmings in antifa to whip up racial hysteria.
Defeated ISIS did he? :lol: 90% of the work done against Islamic State was achieved under the previous administration. Thankfully the US military was able to secure a few extra towns in Iraq before Trump withdrew them. Who knows what will escalate in that area again in the near future, unfortunately the eyes of the world aren't focussed on that as they are now more concerned about the rapidly escalating situation between the US and China.

The North Korean situation is a poor example as he simply managed to temper hostilities that he created.

The peace deals between Israel and the Arab states were largely achieved on the back of military trade agreements with the US, so Trump has basically set up significantly worse conflicts between those countries in the future.

Anyway, your position is clear. I think it's misguided, but you are welcome to your views. I'm afraid his lies and false claims have got you hook, line and sinker. His approach is divisive and the chaos he has that country in is actually quite sad (and scary) to see.

I dearly hope his meanness, and personal greed don't win out. I'm quietly confident they won't.
Haaahah well isn’t that surprising, taking positives and turning them into negatives, or giving the credit elsewhere. It’s just what nasty leftists do, they cannot bring themselves to admit that Trump has done ANYTHING positive, so they’ll twist the facts to suit their Trump derangement, but I guess that understandable given the wall to wall negative anti Trump indoctrination, gaslighting and brainwashing for four years straight.

Trump’s “meaness”? :lol: Are you kidding? The left are the Kings of Mean. You cannot “come out” as a conservative these days, without severe damage to your reputation, employability, threats of being demonetised or outright cancelled. Free speech does not exist anymore, except on anonymous internet forums where you can hide your identity. Compared to the Left Trump is Mother Theresa.
Dear me, those poor downtrodden, misunderstood conservatives. :lol:

You'll be right mate. Just don't treat other people like **** and they'll respect you, even if you would happily vote for a complete ****.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote: November 4, 2020, 3:50 pm Trump just tweeted...

I will be making a statement tonight. A big WIN!

CNN saying that Trump is complaining that "they are trying to steal the election"... and Trump is trying to tell the networks not to project an Arizona win. Here's the tweet now...

"We are up BIG, but they are trying to STEAL the Election. We will never let them do it. Votes cannot be cast after the Polls are closed!"
Thankfully, Twitter has "flagged" that tweet saying it is misleading.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gangrenous wrote: November 4, 2020, 4:10 pm
The Nickman wrote:

Haha ok boomer
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

I thought it was going to be closer than the polls suggested, but not this close. Lets see if the postals come through for Biden.

He certainly seems to think he's on track to win. This is going to take a while.
:!: Warning: poster is incapable of humour, engage with at your own risk. Symptoms of engagement may include frustration, mental imbalance and temporary insanity.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Trump about to make a statement, it is 2am on the west coast of the USA. Looks like the result coming down to the "Blue Wall" States.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The Nickman wrote:
gangrenous wrote: November 4, 2020, 4:10 pm
The Nickman wrote:

Haha ok boomer
Good defence.
Sid
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

when do the postal votes start coming through?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Trump saying as far as he's concerned they've already won. They're going to the Supreme Court to stop the voting... perhaps even the voting count. Claiming there is a fraud.

Has falsely claimed victory.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: November 4, 2020, 5:31 pm Trump saying as far as he's concerned they've already won. They're going to the Supreme Court to stop the voting... perhaps even the voting count. Claiming there is a fraud.

Has falsely claimed victory.
Except for Arizona. He wants them to finish the counting in Arizona.

You seriously couldn't make this **** up.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Cheer up sleepy Joeeeeee....
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Biden really needs to win Pennsylvania, but is still almost 700,000 votes behind with about 3,000,000 to go. That's about 62% of the remaining votes required. On top of that, Biden needs to catch up 230,000 in Michigan with 855,000 to go, so about 64% of those remaining votes there.

I think the other remaining states are definitely Trump's.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Biden’s just taken the lead in Wisconsin
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Seiffert82 wrote:Biden really needs to win Pennsylvania, but is still almost 700,000 votes behind with about 3,000,000 to go. That's about 62% of the remaining votes required. On top of that, Biden needs to catch up 230,000 in Michigan with 855,000 to go, so about 64% of those remaining votes there.

Georgia has a bit over 100k margin for 16 votes

With Nevada and Wisconsin, that's 270

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

BJ
Ruben Wiki

Post by BJ »

Manbush wrote:Biden’s just taken the lead in Wisconsin
Can Brown County swing it back to Trump?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

-TW- wrote: November 4, 2020, 8:01 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:Biden really needs to win Pennsylvania, but is still almost 700,000 votes behind with about 3,000,000 to go. That's about 62% of the remaining votes required. On top of that, Biden needs to catch up 230,000 in Michigan with 855,000 to go, so about 64% of those remaining votes there.

Georgia has a bit over 100k margin for 16 votes

With Nevada and Wisconsin, that's 270

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Yeah, it looks like Georgia has 102k margin with 300k votes to go. Could be close, with Biden needing nearly 70% of the remainder. Maybe a bridge too far. Dunno.

I stuffed up the Michigan numbers too. Biden now only 200k behind with about 920k votes to go, about 61% of remaining votes need to go to Biden. Similar percentage in Pennsylvania and North Carolina now. Possible that they are still finding and adding uncounted votes in many states.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Who is winning?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Neck and neck, with the predictions being that a Biden win looks most likely at this stage.
:!: Warning: poster is incapable of humour, engage with at your own risk. Symptoms of engagement may include frustration, mental imbalance and temporary insanity.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Biden now only 67k behind in Michigan with 700k votes to count (he was previously 200k behind with 920k to count). Certainly trending in his favour.

Biden extending slender leads in both Wisconsin and Nevada. Still a chance to take Pennsylvania.

Taking Michigan, Wisconsin and Nevada just gets Biden over the line.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on November 4, 2020, 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

*yawn* has Biden won yet? Or do we have to wait until tomorrow?
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

It's going to be a while.

I think I read somewhere before that if Wisconsin is within a 1% margin either candidate can request a recount - which you bet Trump will do.

It's not necessarily all down to that, though. My finger-in-the-air guess is that we're a 50/50 shot of either finding out tomorrow, or sticking it out for the long haul.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Biden now 1.50
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Biden has won this, and with the beauty of hindsight, he’s led all day. He’s literally been in front since about the first hour of voting.

Trump did the same in 2016, led from pillar to post, never looked like losing.

Trump calling the election early when Biden was still winning and they were still counting half a dozen key states was absolutely ludicrous.

Biden could still win this by a fair margin here depending on how many states swing his way.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Not buying it for fear of getting my hopes up. Anything can happen with Trump owning the courts.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Righto Bushy, go and have a few more bongs, pal