Coronavirus

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: March 27, 2020, 6:35 pm USA taken the lead in the number of confirmed cases. NYC showing the way. If it was a country, it would be 6th.

But NYC has a low case mortality rate, meaning it's detecting a lot of mild cases. That's good because they are the people that spread it. NYC are actually doing well.

Washington State, Louisiana, Georgia and Michigan all have high case mortality rates. They are missing a lot of mild cases which are possibly spreading disease. They are heading for disaster.
Yeah they overtook China this morning. New York State 37,000. As you point out they would be below Germany and above Iran and France on the current count. 19m people in the state so it's the size of a country. Their mortality rate is below 1%.

Italy will be above China once the figures update.
People in charge of public health and testing have done well in NYC. Some of those other states are ****
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

yeh raiders wrote:
-TW- wrote: March 27, 2020, 5:06 pm Something this whole saga has reinforced is, the majority of people are **** stupid

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
Yes, in case you don’t have social media as a daily reminder of that...
I'm enjoying the tinfoil hat theories

Like the Chinese have deliberately spread it to ruin the world economy for world domination

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Thanks for the kind words, folks.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-TW- wrote:
yeh raiders wrote:
-TW- wrote: March 27, 2020, 5:06 pm Something this whole saga has reinforced is, the majority of people are **** stupid

Yes, in case you don’t have social media as a daily reminder of that...
I'm enjoying the tinfoil hat theories

Like the Chinese have deliberately spread it to ruin the world economy for world domination

I, for one, salute our new Chinese Overlords.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

#PrayforBoris
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

This is my favourite pandemic ever

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

We really are a special breed. We spend all our time on our phones now all of a sudden we have an urge to talk to others, complete tasks around the home and are bored not going to work.

Stay on your phones should be the message from the government, my head hurts at the stupidity going on atm.
WorkChoice
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

LP Raider wrote: March 28, 2020, 8:27 am We really are a special breed. We spend all our time on our phones now all of a sudden we have an urge to talk to others, complete tasks around the home and are bored not going to work.

Stay on your phones should be the message from the government, my head hurts at the stupidity going on atm.
Been saying to people the best way to behave is to act like everyone else has Coronavirus.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnsTAm2L84E

Importance of social distancing and why you should stay at home and not go to Bunnings.
WorkChoice
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Northern Raider wrote: March 28, 2020, 8:43 am
LP Raider wrote: March 28, 2020, 8:27 am We really are a special breed. We spend all our time on our phones now all of a sudden we have an urge to talk to others, complete tasks around the home and are bored not going to work.

Been saying to people the best way to behave is to act like everyone else has Coronavirus.
Indeed, we are in a precarious position moving into winter.

Seeing the fog this morning is cause for more concern with the spread of this virus.

Stay the **** at home unless you need to go to work or do the grocery shopping.
WorkChoice
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I have to say, the idea of social distnacing and working from home... it's like a **** dream for me before i had kids.

Im a home body, that **** would have been right up my ally. NO problems at all.
With kids though, absolute **** nightmare. Im working from home and juggling trying to be as productive as i can and home schooling a 6 year old in the advanced learning program, and a tempremental 4 year old just starting her structured learning "journey"

The teachers have been great, they've provided a lot of materials but this **** is tough.
I love my kids and i dont want to do this ****. I cant even imagine being a teacher and doing this **** for a class room of 20 kids who you've got no real skin in the game for :lol:
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I found this a pretty funny read.:
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/202 ... ting-time/

The tweet:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 3395410957

Relevant comment:
1) You don't just start making thousands of complicated machines because you think someone might be ordering them soon. You wait until that someone (the government) says exactly what they want, how much they're going to pay for them, and how many they'll take. You know, something Trump refused to actually do for several weeks.

2) When Trump tweeted out his rant today, he @ the wrong GM. He was literally demanding some account created in 2007, with absolutely no tweets, start making ventilators.

3) He also demanded that GM use a plant that they had sold back in November.

4) He should have known about this plant, as he had tweeted his congratulations for GM selling it at the time.

No matter how many times you shake your head at what he does he just keeps on bringing it.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

About to finish night shift.

Keeping eye on the figures in Italy, and it's another disastrous day, they have just ticked over 10000 deaths.

Their death rate is 45% when compared to total deaths/cases closed, absolutely tragic.

Get well Italy
WorkChoice
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Some Australian numpty that was on a cruise ship and is now forcibly quarantined in a hotel is complaining that he's been stripped of his "constitutional rights".

I can't imagine that its a pleasant ordeal, but this isn't America. The constitution of Australia guarantees precisely diddly-squat that he'll have been deprived of.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Sterlk wrote: March 29, 2020, 7:28 am Some Australian numpty that was on a cruise ship and is now forcibly quarantined in a hotel is complaining that he's been stripped of his "constitutional rights".

I can't imagine that its a pleasant ordeal, but this isn't America. The constitution of Australia guarantees precisely diddly-squat that he'll have been deprived of.
You get the same thing here when people want to demand free speech as a constitutional right in Australia- sorry, that's not in there either.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BadnMean wrote: March 29, 2020, 7:47 am
Sterlk wrote: March 29, 2020, 7:28 am Some Australian numpty that was on a cruise ship and is now forcibly quarantined in a hotel is complaining that he's been stripped of his "constitutional rights".

You get the same thing here when people want to demand free speech as a constitutional right in Australia- sorry, that's not in there either.
They watch too much American TV
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Was listening to ABC radio this morning, same thing. Whinging lady complaining about human rights.

Basically the radio fellow said after the call that Australians don't like being told what to do and in this case people need to do what their told.

Another caller told that these people need to take one for team, I mean it's 14 days it's not like their in a detention camp and have no end in sight.

Suck it up.
WorkChoice
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Coronavirus

Post by gangrenous »

Treat them like the children they are. An extra 14 days in isolation every time they whinge. And bill them for the extra days.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'd be happy to be fed 3 meals a day for free

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

-BREAKING-

The PM has announced further restrictions just now..

- All people 70+ asked to stay home.
- Outdoors gyms/boot camps and playgrounds close Monday.
- Maximum of 2 people in public spaces
- Govt urges ALL Australians to stay home
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

It seems hairdressers, non-essential retail and the like get to continue powering on.

I wonder how they're expected to sell anything when everybody is being encouraged to avoid them.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

It'll be until the rent freeze thing is finalised

Basically the concern is if landlords are able to keep charging rent while they're shut all these places will go bust

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Do you think there's a bat connoisseur out there somewhere, looking at what he's spread on the world, thinking

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Do you think there's a bat connoisseur out there somewhere, looking at what he's spread on the world, thinking

it's TR isn't it?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Or Nickman, he seems to know a lot about the subject

Nickman's love of NSW
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

He's suspiciously quiet lately

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The tactic in this country has been go heavy on detection, both via testing and contact tracing of known cases. March 22 saw the biggest number of new cases in a single day with 537. A lot of that was due to infected cruise ships arriving. Since then the number of daily cases have been:
Mar 23 - 278
Mar 24 - 430
Mar 25 - 359
Mar 26 - 374
Mar 27 - 328
Mar 28 - 257

This shows there's a relatively steady number of new cases daily and we've (so far) avoided the exponetial increases many feared. Its one of the rare promising signs we've had to date so hopefully this trend continues. The stricter social distancing measures were introduced through last week so over the next 7-10 days we should see what impact those have had.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I was looking at https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... australia/ for stats but they reckon we had 528 new cases yesterday and that doesn't match with anything anyone else is showing so think I'm going to stop going there.

284 is what the government had for the 29th (6am - 6am).
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

zim wrote: March 30, 2020, 1:13 pm I was looking at https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... australia/ for stats but they reckon we had 528 new cases yesterday and that doesn't match with anything anyone else is showing so think I'm going to stop going there.

Thats the site where I'm getting the info. I've found the "New Cases" column does not always have the date range defined. Could be to do with time zones.

EDIT: Also depends on when the info is received e.g. 257 on 28th and 528 on 29th averages out similar to previous days.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

zim wrote: March 30, 2020, 1:13 pm I was looking at https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... australia/ for stats but they reckon we had 528 new cases yesterday and that doesn't match with anything anyone else is showing so think I'm going to stop going there.

Worldometer resets 00:00 GMT
WorkChoice
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

-TW- wrote: March 29, 2020, 5:22 pm I'd be happy to be fed 3 meals a day for free

Not have to worry about how you’re going to wipe your ****.

Like one person said, they just have to take one for the team on this one.
WorkChoice
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Mrs Bone down to 15hrs a week from 30, her offsider is happy with that she can take her kids on picnics. OMFG it's killing me.

Edrick The Entertainer
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

They let these people breed.
WorkChoice
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

it's crazy LP, she's one of the nicest people, not a bad bone in her body, just cannot be told what to do.

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

My wife is the same. Runs out of milk or eggs and she's just popping down the shops for a few things, oh and why not catch up with a few friends for a coffee while at the shopping centre.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017