Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Northern Raider »

The Nickman wrote: March 16, 2021, 3:00 pm
Northern Raider wrote:Purely based on anecdotal evidence locally this "UK strain" does not appear to be as infectious as we were first told.
Not when you’ve got it under control and you have first class protocols and systems in place, no.
So no real need for the hyperbole surrounding the reports.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:So Doc it would seem we have dodged x2 bullets with the NSw and Qld case in the last week? Would you agree?
Maybe, maybe not. Is it luck or good management - getting onto it quickly.

Queensland Health need to dissect what happened, work out who else that is absolutely front line hasn't yet been vaccinated and act upon it.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

My GF just booked an appointment on Friday for her 1st shot of the Moderna vaccine. The US rollout is slowly getting there.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

4 separate incidents of anaphylaxis in QLD following the AZ vax. That's from a total of 3000 administered. I understand all 4 had a history of reactions. This is always a risk for anybody like that. My partner is among them and will have to be closely monitored when receiving her vax.

I just hope this doesn't further fuel the anti-vax movement.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:4 separate incidents of anaphylaxis in QLD following the AZ vax. That's from a total of 3000 administered. I understand all 4 had a history of reactions. This is always a risk for anybody like that. My partner is among them and will have to be closely monitored when receiving her vax.

That's awful mate. I hope she's OK.

It's a bit of a surprise. The higher rates of anaphylaxis have been associated with the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. That's high numbers, not seen elsewhere in the world. Hopefully a statistical anomaly.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dr Zaius wrote: March 17, 2021, 7:10 pm
Northern Raider wrote:4 separate incidents of anaphylaxis in QLD following the AZ vax. That's from a total of 3000 administered. I understand all 4 had a history of reactions. This is always a risk for anybody like that. My partner is among them and will have to be closely monitored when receiving her vax.

It's a bit of a surprise. The higher rates of anaphylaxis have been associated with the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. That's high numbers, not seen elsewhere in the world. Hopefully a statistical anomaly.
Oops, sorry. I worded that poorly. My partner isn't one of these 4 people. She is somebody who has allergies including many antibiotics
and suffered anaphylaxis previously. She works for QLD Health in a hospital so will likely have to get the vax. Obviously some risk involved there.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:

Oops, sorry. I worded that poorly. My partner isn't one of these 4 people. She is somebody who has allergies including many antibiotics
and suffered anaphylaxis previously. She works for QLD Health in a hospital so will likely have to get the vax. Obviously some risk involved there.
Oops, no worries. Well I hope it goes well.

I'm sure it will be similar to the GC set up. Sit in a room with all of the other recipients for 15 minutes. Tonnes of doctors and nurses there. A syringe full of adrenaline and a strong arm will see off anaphylaxis Image
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Even when I had the flu shot you had to hang around for ten minutes afterwards, that’s just sensible health practices.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Predictably, the vaccine roll-out to the broader population is looking like a schmozzle.

The expectation from the Feds was that GPs would roll up their sleeves and deliver the bulk of them. GPs were generally happy to oblige, until the Feds delivered the conditions including separate indoorwaiting rooms for covid Vax receivers, separate rooms to watch for 15 minutes, a token financial reimbursement per jab (something like) $15-20 and an inability gap charge.

For many practices this meant cancelling sessions for doctors to make space, which impacts on service provision to existing patients and compounds the financial cost to the practice. It also meant potentially hiring additional nursing staff.

For weeks the Feds have been building pressure on GPs to be involved and the media have painted them unfairly. Now GP clinics are getting flooded with enquiries, meaning patients can't get through and GP clinics which have not agreed to deliver the vaccine are being listed on the Health website as a place to recieve the vaccine.

GPs haven't covered themselves in glory by complaining that pharmacies will be able to deliver it.

Like quarantine they have had 12 months to sort this out. Maybe it's a good thing that they have designated responsibility to the states.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dr Zaius wrote: March 17, 2021, 7:38 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

Oops, no worries. Well I hope it goes well.

I'm sure it will be similar to the GC set up. Sit in a room with all of the other recipients for 15 minutes. Tonnes of doctors and nurses there. A syringe full of adrenaline and a strong arm will see off anaphylaxis Image
Well the last time she had anaphylaxis was in the operating theatre during a caesarian. I guess it's as good a place as any. :lol:

Exactly right though. People getting the jab are in as safe a situation as you can get in case of reaction.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dr Zaius wrote: March 18, 2021, 7:43 am Predictably, the vaccine roll-out to the broader population is looking like a schmozzle.

The expectation from the Feds was that GPs would roll up their sleeves and deliver the bulk of them. GPs were generally happy to oblige, until the Feds delivered the conditions including separate indoorwaiting rooms for covid Vax receivers, separate rooms to watch for 15 minutes, a token financial reimbursement per jab (something like) $15-20 and an inability gap charge.

For many practices this meant cancelling sessions for doctors to make space, which impacts on service provision to existing patients and compounds the financial cost to the practice. It also meant potentially hiring additional nursing staff.

For weeks the Feds have been building pressure on GPs to be involved and the media have painted them unfairly. Now GP clinics are getting flooded with enquiries, meaning patients can't get through and GP clinics which have not agreed to deliver the vaccine are being listed on the Health website as a place to recieve the vaccine.

GPs haven't covered themselves in glory by complaining that pharmacies will be able to deliver it.

Like quarantine they have had 12 months to sort this out. Maybe it's a good thing that they have designated responsibility to the states.
It's one of those things that gets heavily workshopped in boardrooms in effort to get the process right. Until you start it in practice you never really know how it will work out. The whole thing relies on people to deliver it and people are the most unreliable commodities in the world. :)
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: March 18, 2021, 7:43 am Predictably, the vaccine roll-out to the broader population is looking like a schmozzle.

It's one of those things that gets heavily workshopped in boardrooms in effort to get the process right. Until you start it in practice you never really know how it will work out. The whole thing relies on people to deliver it and people are the most unreliable commodities in the world. :)
Maybe they need to talk to the people who deliver it? My friend who is a GP told me about it and why it wasn't going to work a couple of months ago when the Feds were seeking an expression of interest. Her thoughts were that GPs are pretty efficient at rolling out fluvax, just allow them to roll it out in a similar fashion.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dr Zaius wrote: March 18, 2021, 5:55 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

Maybe they need to talk to the people who deliver it? My friend who is a GP told me about it and why it wasn't going to work a couple of months ago when the Feds were seeking an expression of interest. Her thoughts were that GPs are pretty efficient at rolling out fluvax, just allow them to roll it out in a similar fashion.
There will always be conflicting opinions regardless of the strategy. Flu vax distribution not really comparable as there's minimal structure around it. People can walk in, walk out. Most get theirs at the chemist.

I understand they're setting up special vaccine clinics now that can better accommodate the separate waiting and observation areas. Makes sense and probably should have done that sooner.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: March 18, 2021, 5:55 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

There will always be conflicting opinions regardless of the strategy. Flu vax distribution not really comparable as there's minimal structure around it. People can walk in, walk out. Most get theirs at the chemist.

I understand they're setting up special vaccine clinics now that can better accommodate the separate waiting and observation areas. Makes sense and probably should have done that sooner.
It is comparable. Many GP clinics put temporary infrastructure in place to roll out a fluvax drive. This includes watching people for 15 minutes afterwards, and doing it cost effectively. On doctors forums there has been a lot of confusion from GPs as to what is going on. There seems to have been little consultation with GPs who they were expecting would do the heavy lifting.
Swiller
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Josh Papali

Post by Swiller »

Northern Raider wrote: March 17, 2021, 11:05 am 4 separate incidents of anaphylaxis in QLD following the AZ vax. That's from a total of 3000 administered. I understand all 4 had a history of reactions. This is always a risk for anybody like that. My partner is among them and will have to be closely monitored when receiving her vax.

The Vax has killed thousands of people so far, i doubt this report will make much difference..
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Is The Vax your nickname for your beloved Donald Trump?
Swiller
Peter Jackson

Post by Swiller »

For all you ready to get your jabs spare a thought for these people..
https://wonder.cdc.gov/controller/saved/D8/D134F061

Click Agree then VAERS data search and it will take you to my saved search showing current US reported deaths.. If you adjusted the filter for adverse reactions you could spend all year going through the data..

WHO also has a reporting system at vigiaccess.org search covishield..
couple of thousand dead over there as well..

I guess these people just had that coming?
Swiller
Peter Jackson

Post by Swiller »

gangrenous wrote: March 21, 2021, 7:17 am Is The Vax your nickname for your beloved Donald Trump?
No im loving Joe, absolute laugh a minute with this clown..
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Well that's down from a laugh a second with trumpy

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Swiller wrote: March 21, 2021, 7:27 am For all you ready to get your jabs spare a thought for these people..

Click Agree then VAERS data search and it will take you to my saved search showing current US reported deaths.. If you adjusted the filter for adverse reactions you could spend all year going through the data..

How does this data compare to other medications? There's been around half a billion vaccines given worldwide. 120 million in the USA.

While trying to scare people away from vaccination spare are thought for the 2.7 millions who have died from COVID in the past 12 months.
Swiller
Peter Jackson

Post by Swiller »

Northern Raider wrote: March 21, 2021, 8:34 am
Swiller wrote: March 21, 2021, 7:27 am For all you ready to get your jabs spare a thought for these people..

How does this data compare to other medications? There's been around half a billion vaccines given worldwide. 120 million in the USA.

While trying to scare people away from vaccination spare are thought for the 2.7 millions who have died from COVID in the past 12 months.
Are you suggesting that its OK if we kill people in an attempt to protect people?

I think people should have a right to be presented with current information both good and bad to allow them to make an informed decision. When Pharma companies are going to make billions out of this with out any liabilty if they stuff up i think we need to be very careful.
Swiller
Peter Jackson

Post by Swiller »

-TW- wrote: March 21, 2021, 7:50 am Well that's down from a laugh a second with trumpy

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Lets have a bet,
Who will go down as the better president?
With one condition Biden has to last 4 years :roflmao

I WIN..
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Swiller wrote: March 21, 2021, 9:41 am
Northern Raider wrote: March 21, 2021, 8:34 am

Are you suggesting that its OK if we kill people in an attempt to protect people?

I think people should have a right to be presented with current information both good and bad to allow them to make an informed decision. When Pharma companies are going to make billions out of this with out any liabilty if they stuff up i think we need to be very careful.
Nope. I didn't say that at all.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I wonder what happens when you compare deaths from the vaccinations against deaths from the virus
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Swiller
Peter Jackson

Post by Swiller »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: March 21, 2021, 2:59 pm I wonder what happens when you compare deaths from the vaccinations against deaths from the virus
What difference does that make?
Once again are you suggesting that it's OK if people die from the vaccine?
Remember, some people will be forced into taking the shot so not all deaths will be of their own choice.
How does that fair on your moral compass? At what point do you say this is wrong, 10, 100, 1000, 10000, 100000, 1000000 deaths, where does your moral compass sit? We are above 3000 deaths now so i guess the thousands of deaths are not a problem what about tens of thousands would that be enough for you to ask some questions or do we need to go higher?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Swiller wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: March 21, 2021, 2:59 pm I wonder what happens when you compare deaths from the vaccinations against deaths from the virus
Remember, some people will be forced into taking the shot so not all deaths will be of their own choice.
How does that fair on your moral compass? At what point do you say this is wrong, 10, 100, 1000, 10000, 100000, 1000000 deaths, where does your moral compass sit? We are above 3000 deaths now so i guess the thousands of deaths are not a problem what about tens of thousands would that be enough for you to ask some questions or do we need to go higher?
What is your alternative solution?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I've never met Fui so I assume he won't be happy until all his enemies are ash and he has salted the earth. Viva la revolution!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Swiller wrote:
Oh right, so you prefer people to die from the virus rather than from reactions from the vaccination.

Different stroke for different folks I guess.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Before I bother to read this thread I suspect it'll just be like every other Covid convo in the world and it'll be the morons v the intelligent, yeah?

So rather than drag my poor little brain through all the tripe, I'm just going to side with the educated.

Whatever Dr Zaius is saying, that's my team. The rest of you are peanuts and should go take a lie down in your tin foil blankets, deep in your bunkers and set an alarm for well after I die.

Thank in advance.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Lucy wrote: March 21, 2021, 9:33 pm Before I bother to read this thread I suspect it'll just be like every other Covid convo in the world and it'll be the morons v the intelligent, yeah?

So rather than drag my poor little brain through all the tripe, I'm just going to side with the educated.

Whatever Dr Zaius is saying, that's my team. The rest of you are peanuts and should go take a lie down in your tin foil blankets, deep in your bunkers and set an alarm for well after I die.

Thank in advance.

We established in the first few pages that Doc was raking in the $$ form big pharma.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Lucy wrote:Before I bother to read this thread I suspect it'll just be like every other Covid convo in the world and it'll be the morons v the intelligent, yeah?

Thank in advance.

If you only all understand the large levels of irony accompanying this post.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Northern Raider wrote:
Lucy wrote: March 21, 2021, 9:33 pm Before I bother to read this thread I suspect it'll just be like every other Covid convo in the world and it'll be the morons v the intelligent, yeah?

Thank in advance.

We established in the first few pages that Doc was raking in the $$ form big pharma.
Yeah, this thread has been TheGH’s mightiest heroes standing up to protect the forum against this guy.

Should have read his plan to wipe out half the population of the earth with a single jab

Nickman's love of NSW
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: March 22, 2021, 6:08 am
Northern Raider wrote:

Thank in advance.

Yeah, this thread has been TheGH’s mightiest heroes standing up to protect the forum against this guy.

Should have read his plan to wipe out half the population of the earth with a single jab
To be fair his actions are heavily influenced by Bill Gates.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

A positive case in Brisbane. Has been getting around for the last 5 days while infectious. Genomically linked to the doctor case a few weeks back but as yet no epidemiological link. More cases undoubtedly to be found.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Had Round 2 with a Pfizer needle yesterday.