Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Northern Raider »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: December 18, 2020, 9:53 am
The Nickman wrote: December 18, 2020, 6:04 am
-TW- wrote:I'm pretty confident this cluster will be contained pretty quickly like the last one which had fears of thousands, ended up being about 40.

NSW has shown their contact tracing is almost world leading

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
There’s no almost about it. NSW has done a superb job
Adding this quote to my email signature, and taking it completely out of context. This will be great come Origin time!
We can add our own finish to the quote. E.g. "
There’s no almost about it. NSW has done a superb job... of losing to the worst Origin team in history."
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Dr Zaius wrote: December 17, 2020, 6:52 pm I need to stop reading social media comments, they are doing my head in.

People can't wait to stick the boot into NSW and their premier. Predictably, when you click on their profile they are hard core Labor supporters. I detest partisanship, it ends in situations like the US.

Give criticism where it's deserved and credit where it's due. People like to make light of Scomos "Gold Standard" comment, but NSWs contact tracing has been exceptional.

More and more people are coming home. The pandemic is escalating overseas. More and more people in quarantine are going to test positive, and leaks are going to occur. Given that the majority of travellers are returning to Sydney, the majority of leaks are going to occur there. Instead of criticising them, the other states might want to help them out and share the load.
If you are annoyed about the treatment of Gladys, you must be curled up in the foetal position rocking back and forth inconsolable over the treatment of the QLD and VIC Premiers over the last 9 months.

Gladys has got off lightly. And this is all COVID related, I haven't even started on the media protection racket which has been run despite the fact she should have resigned long ago over her involvement in blatant corruption.
Up The Milk
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Gotcha.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Apparently the number has grown to 28 in the Sydney Northern Beaches area. The strain is believed to have been brought in from overseas.

The Sydney Morning Herald reports today:

'From Tuesday, international airline crew members arriving in NSW will be placed in two designated quarantine hotels, rather than spread across "25 or 26" locations.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian said the quarantine of crew would be managed by NSW Police and NSW Health.' and

'Sydney’s northern beaches residents have been asked to stay in their homes after a coronavirus cluster in the area reached 28 cases on Friday
Tasmania has shut its border to anyone who has been in northern beaches on or since December 11
Queensland, Victoria and the Northern Territory have asked people who have been on the northern beaches to quarantine for 14 days. WA went a step further and imposed this on anyone from NSW
NSW Health has added 30 locations - including an Aldi supermarket, Commonwealth Bank branch and a Chemist Warehouse outlet - to its list of COVID-impacted venues in the northern beaches'

Here's hoping the tried and tested methods of limiting the spread of Covid are again successful for these Australians at risk.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I don’t blame States for putting travel restrictions in place to be honest. Isn’t that the main lesson learned from Italy, right at the start? If travel restrictions are so bad, why do we have restrictions at the Australian border? No one seems to be advocating free travel into the country. No one was attacking NSW for closing their borders to Victoria earlier this year.

It looks like someone with the virus has now travelled to Queensland from the northern beaches. Basically, with free travel, we could have the whole country in lock down very quickly. Look how fast things spiralled out of control in Victoria. The list of places in Sydney where infected people visited is now pretty long: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-18/ ... k/12995336

Looks like it is an international strain brought in by air crews, with their bus driver contracting it from them. And then even after getting a test... the driver and his partner didn’t isolate. They went all over the place. Can’t help but just shake your head... given you’re told very clearly when tested to isolate until you get the result.

The ACT now telling people not to travel to Sydney and anyone now in Canberra who has been on the northern beaches since December 11 must quarantine 14 days: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14225
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

It's not the travel restrictions as much as the attitude of the other states, conveniently overlooking the fact NSW is assuming a greater risk than any other jurisdiction. This was the point Northern Raider was also making earlier which I entirely agree with.

GE - not sure where you got the link between the Northern Beaches cluster and the airport bus driver. There has been no link substantiated between the two at this point.

Also your comparison between the NSW and Victorian outbreaks is ridiculous. The Victorian outbreak was far worse before NSW imposed travel restrictrions.

And the PM has repeatedly said the aim would be to have open borders internally by xmas. You really are off on a frolic here.

Anyway, I'm going to be in lockdown for a few days, although I'm on the north end of the beaches thankfully. Catch yas.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

So it’s the vibe of the thing!

More seriously NSW has been a bit two faced in all this. Lots of criticism of left wing premiers for border closures, but none for the right wing premiers. When NSW also closed its own border. It’s all political.

I’m more concerned about the virus spreading unnecessarily, than the political manoeuvring. Hopefully Azza, you’re lock down lasts only a few days and they get on top of it quickly.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote: December 18, 2020, 12:08 pmLooks like it is an international strain brought in by air crews, with their bus driver contracting it from them. And then even after getting a test... the driver and his partner didn’t isolate. They went all over the place. Can’t help but just shake your head... given you’re told very clearly when tested to isolate until you get the result.
Yeah, but if Gladys doesn't have to isolate to wait for results, why should the rest of us in NSW?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

greeneyed wrote: December 18, 2020, 1:22 pm So it’s the vibe of the thing!

More seriously NSW has been a bit two faced in all this. Lots of criticism of left wing premiers for border closures, but none for the right wing premiers. When NSW also closed its own border. It’s all political.

I’m more concerned about the virus spreading unnecessarily, than the political manoeuvring. Hopefully Azza, you’re lock down lasts only a few days and they get on top of it quickly.
Now this I do agree with. The politics at play across all states and the federal level, from both sides, has been embarrassing, and uncalled for.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Mickey_Raider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: December 17, 2020, 6:52 pm I need to stop reading social media comments, they are doing my head in.

People can't wait to stick the boot into NSW and their premier. Predictably, when you click on their profile they are hard core Labor supporters. I detest partisanship, it ends in situations like the US.

Give criticism where it's deserved and credit where it's due. People like to make light of Scomos "Gold Standard" comment, but NSWs contact tracing has been exceptional.

More and more people are coming home. The pandemic is escalating overseas. More and more people in quarantine are going to test positive, and leaks are going to occur. Given that the majority of travellers are returning to Sydney, the majority of leaks are going to occur there. Instead of criticising them, the other states might want to help them out and share the load.
If you are annoyed about the treatment of Gladys, you must be curled up in the foetal position rocking back and forth inconsolable over the treatment of the QLD and VIC Premiers over the last 9 months.

Gladys has got off lightly. And this is all COVID related, I haven't even started on the media protection racket which has been run despite the fact she should have resigned long ago over her involvement in blatant corruption.
The treatment of Dan Andrews was unfair and unnecessary.

Anastasia Palaszczuk deserved everything she got and more. Her behaviour has been appalling. She's not fit to hold office.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:So it’s the vibe of the thing!

Viewing the pandemic through a partisan lense is clouding your judgement.

There is no comparison between the situation and Sydney and what happened in Melbourne. Not even close.

The NSW-Victorian border closed on the cusp of Melbourne going into lockdown. It was closed after a joint decision between the Victorian and NSW premiers and the PM, and jointly announced by the premiers. The NSW-Queensland border was closed following the political embarresment of two teenagers flying back from Melbourne and spreading covid around Brisbane. There was no discussion. The NSW Premier found out through the media. The Queensland Premier refused to return her calls.

The restrictions in place this time around are far more sensible (apart from WA). Northern Beaches have been declared a hotspot and must quarantine. WA in contrast has banned the whole state Queensland style. The Canberra baseball team had to cancel their series in Perth because half of the team lives in Queanbeyan. That doesn't make a lot of sense.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I’m actually not looking through it with partisan eyes at all. I’m sick of all the politicians.

The right wing politicians have been no angels in all this. They’ve been attacking their opponents for border closures while not criticising their own for the same policies. The NSW Premier has been one of the chief offenders. And two faced at the same time, given her own policies and closures.

The list of affected places in Sydney is expanding very rapidly and well beyond the northern beaches: https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavir ... 9b337621df

I don’t understand the criticism of telling people in hot spots to not travel... and vice versa. I get that doctors want patients to be able to cross borders where that’s urgently required... and if that can be handled, fine.

What’s happening in Sydney right now risks flowing over the borders pdq... and for mine, it’s a good thing that people are being told not to spread it across the whole country. We’ve got ourselves in a great position, but lack of quick action is going to put that at risk pretty quickly.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I wasn't paying any attention to which political party respective leaders are aligned to. My opinion is purely based on how I've seen them handle the situation. I'll leave it up to others in making it a left vs right debate.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: December 18, 2020, 8:47 pm I wasn't paying any attention to which political party respective leaders are aligned to. My opinion is purely based on how I've seen them handle the situation. I'll leave it up to others in making it a left vs right debate.
If they were criticising their own for border closures as much as their political opponents I’d say fine. They haven’t done that. One of the reasons I’m quite open in saying no politicians have covered themselves in glory through this. The idea that the NSW Premier is somehow above it all is ridiculous. She’s attacked the Queensland Premier vigorously, while staying virtually silent about other States - of the same political persuasion - with the same policies. She can hardly complain about border closures when she closed the border with Victoria very tight herself.

I’m quite happy with constraining travel to and from break out zones, when you can help ensure some regions of the country can continue with minimal restrictions. It’s the best health and economic outcome for the country as a whole.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Only solution is put everyone back in the miners camp in Darwin or on Christmas island for quarantine.

New South Wales was in a great position until last week
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: December 18, 2020, 9:00 pm
Northern Raider wrote: December 18, 2020, 8:47 pm I wasn't paying any attention to which political party respective leaders are aligned to. My opinion is purely based on how I've seen them handle the situation. I'll leave it up to others in making it a left vs right debate.
If they were criticising their own for border closures as much as their political opponents I’d say fine. They haven’t done that. One of the reasons I’m quite open in saying no politicians have covered themselves in glory through this. The idea that the NSW Premier is somehow above it all is ridiculous. She’s attacked the Queensland Premier vigorously, while staying virtually silent about other States - of the same political persuasion - with the same policies. She can hardly complain about border closures when she closed the border with Victoria very tight herself.

I’m quite happy with constraining travel to and from break out zones, when you can help ensure some regions of the country can continue with minimal restrictions. It’s the best health and economic outcome for the country as a whole.
Don't know where you get the idea that the NSW premier is somehow above it all. I certainly didn't say it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: December 18, 2020, 9:11 pm

Don't know where you get the idea that the NSW premier is somehow above it all. I certainly didn't say it.
Not saying you said that... I’m just reading a lot comments that seem to be suggesting it in the thread. Not intended to be directed to you... shouldn’t have quoted you NR.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Other than South Australia and Tasmania, I don't think the behaviour of any of the states has really covered themselves in glory
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: December 18, 2020, 9:14 pm
Northern Raider wrote: December 18, 2020, 9:11 pm

Not saying you said that... I’m just reading a lot comments that seem to be suggesting it in the thread. Not intended to be directed to you... shouldn’t have quoted you NR.
I don't really know anybody else saying it either.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You obviously missed all the posts saying NSW covered themselves in glory then. The ones up above.

NSW Health allowed a cruise ship full of coronavirus infected people to get off without testing, quarantine and allowing them to go all over the country. NSW has hardly been a jurisdiction that has its hands clean in the reactions of other States.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Steven is conflating comments praising the performance of New South Wales Health with contact tracing in the last few months, with some sort of warped perception that this equates with defending the NSW Premier

Pull the other one
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Azza wrote: December 18, 2020, 9:26 pm Steven is conflating comments praising the performance of New South Wales Health with contact tracing in the last few months, with some sort of warped perception that this equates with defending the NSW Premier

Pull the other one
Arun seems to be missing the point.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

That's because you're rambling again.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No, I’m being quite lucid. I’m tired of all the people criticising this Premier or Prime Minister or that... while pretending some other politician has done a great job. All of them have had significant failings through the pandemic. Australia has done pretty well, because response to the failings have been pretty swift and firm from the electorate.

What am I am saying is: it is quite rational and sensible for travel to be constrained around a coronavirus outbreak. That’s what every lesson learned shows from international and our own experience. I simply don’t understand why anyone is criticising that.

Some people seem to be suggesting one State Premier or other or State has their hands clean through this... or one State or other has done a great job, better than others. It’s rubbish. Mistakes have been made all around. Unfortunately, mistakes still seem to be being made. The latest in NSW.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Again GE, you don't seem to be able to move past the fact that the border closure to Victoria was a completely different situation to the Queensland border closure. They are in no way comparable and they were handled in very different ways. One was handled collaboratively, the other unilaterally. You can't compare it to closures to other states. They either don't share a border, or don't have a heavily populated border.

Living on the border I can tell you that the effect was far more wide spread than people having difficulty accessing health care. There has not been a community transmission north of Newcastle since March, yet the entire state was shut out. This was a political decision, not one for health. The effect was cruel and I can talk to you for hours with examples of how this caused significant harm. The Queensland government was aware of this impact and simply didn't care. It was appalling politics which deserved to be labelled for what it was.

Berejiiklian tried to discuss this with Palaszczuk. Palaszczuk would not return her calls. She needed to advocate for her constituents. She was left little choice but to be critical in the media.

Restricting movement from hotspots is absolutely the right thing to do. Northern Beaches has now been declared a hotspot which is fair. Labelling the whole state a hotspot, when it clearly isn't, is ridiculous.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

If it wasn't an election year in Queensland we wouldn't be having this discussion

Protectionist policy is political gold, hence why Mark McGowan is Mr 80% approval.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

greeneyed wrote: December 18, 2020, 9:45 pm No, I’m being quite lucid. I’m tired of all the people criticising this Premier or Prime Minister or that... while pretending some other politician has done a great job. All of them have had significant failings through the pandemic. Australia has done pretty well, because response to the failings have been pretty swift and firm from the electorate.

What am I am saying is: it is quite rational and sensible for travel to be constrained around a coronavirus outbreak. That’s what every lesson learned shows from international and our own experience. I simply don’t understand why anyone is criticising that.

Some people seem to be suggesting one State Premier or other or State has their hands clean through this... or one State or other has done a great job, better than others. It’s rubbish. Mistakes have been made all around. Unfortunately, mistakes still seem to be being made. The latest in NSW.
Roses are red, violets are crap.
I have one question.

How can she slap.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Dr Zaius wrote:Restricting movement from hotspots is absolutely the right thing to do. Northern Beaches has now been declared a hotspot which is fair. Labelling the whole state a hotspot, when it clearly isn't, is ridiculous.
Whole state maybe not, but it’s easy and clear.

In Victoria locking down isolated suburbs didn’t work. Shutting borders for a week to check if NSW did get on top via contact tracing seems reasonable to me.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I do agree with one thing from the WA premier, even though he comes across as a bit of a tosser.

Go into lockdown now. The earlier the better, like they did in SA. Stamp the virus out before it spreads too far - the earlier it's done, the shorter it can be.

This softly softly approach just won't cut the mustard IMO.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius... with a great deal of respect, and I hope you know that’s very genuine on my part... if you were on the border of NSW and Victoria you might know a lot of similar stories. Or if you knew people who lived in NSW and have friends and family in Western Australia, you might know many similar stories there too. How about Tasmania? I understand you’re very focussed on NSW and Queensland as you live on that border and are a doctor living on that border. But there has been a lot of focus from the NSW Premier on a particular State and if she focussed on all the border closures, called out all the other Premiers concerned, I might not be pointing out the hypocrisy.

My bottom line is I don’t think any of the State Premiers are above criticism or reproach... and none of them deserve singling out, really. They’ve all been driven by politics. Every State has made mistakes.

We seem to have done pretty well in Australia, despite all the mistakes... and it might just be because we’ve constrained regional travel pretty tightly. It might have been tighter than necessary. I don’t think you can call out Queensland more than a number of other States on that point... and that’s my point. People seem to be overlooking that, whether it is for political or other reasons, I don’t know.

BTW, I suspect the whole of Greater Sydney will very quickly be declared a “hotspot” by other States. It’s now spread to the Central Coast. Almost every time I post, it’s gone broader. I can’t blame the other States closing down fast. It’s a good thing in my view.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gangrenous wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:Restricting movement from hotspots is absolutely the right thing to do. Northern Beaches has now been declared a hotspot which is fair. Labelling the whole state a hotspot, when it clearly isn't, is ridiculous.
Whole state maybe not, but it’s easy and clear.

In Victoria locking down isolated suburbs didn’t work. Shutting borders for a week to check if NSW did get on top via contact tracing seems reasonable to me.
Again, it's simply not comparible. The NSW-Victorian border shut when there was about 300 cases a day. Were talking about 14 cases a day here.

Nothing in life is without risk. Locking out hotspots v states carries risk. Despite free movement between Sydney and Newcastle, Wollongong and Canberra, none of those cities have been seeded with sustained community transmission. I'd argue that the risk is low. You can't live your life without some sort of risk. I'd argue that the harm done by locking out an entire state was not worth the minuscule reduction in risk that it afforded.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:Dr Zaius... with a great deal of respect, and I hope you know that’s very genuine on my part... if you were on the border of NSW and Victoria you might know a lot of similar stories. Or if you knew people who lived in NSW and have friends and family in Western Australia, you might know many similar stories there too. How about Tasmania? I understand you’re very focussed on NSW and Queensland as you live on that border and are a doctor living on that border. But there has been a lot of focus from the NSW Premier on a particular State and if she focussed on all the border closures, called out all the other Premiers concerned, I might not be pointing out the hypocrisy.

My bottom line is I don’t think any of the State Premiers are above criticism or reproach... and none of them deserve singling out, really. They’ve all been driven by politics. Every State has made mistakes.

We seem to have done pretty well in Australia, despite all the mistakes... and it might just be because we’ve constrained regional travel pretty tightly. It might have been tighter than necessary. I don’t think you can call out Queensland more than a number of other States on that point... and that’s my point. People seem to be overlooking that, whether it is for political or other reasons, I don’t know.
Again, the situations between the Victorian and Queensland border are not comparible. If NSW had similar levels of community transmission that Victoria had I would have been supportive of the border closure. It simply wasn't and therefore was not of comparable benefit.

And I beg to differ on whether one premier should be singled out. Palaszczuk should absolutely be called out. In response to a premature baby from a town with no covid cases, being separated from its mother because of border restrictions she said "Queensland hospitals are for Queenslanders". I'm sorry, but the fact that some Australians think that that is reasonable commentary from one of our state leaders makes me incredibly angry.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

GE this is a novel situation. We are learning as we go. Mistakes were always going to be made. Mistakes will continue to be made. Don't confuse mistakes with bad behaviour.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Let's just hope this gets under control quickly and people behave themselves. The next few days will be critical

I'll be doing my bit and making sure I stay at home as I hope everyone else does in the area.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius... I can understand why you’re saying that. But the maladministration of hotel quarantine in Victoria or the maladministration of a cruise ship that spread coronavirus across the country... people could be just as angry, if not more so, for those things, which resulted in many deaths. I don’t think a single politician and the administrations they’re responsible for have avoided making a mistake in some way. They’ve also all done a lot to constrain the pandemic... and overall, it’s been contained pretty well in Australia. The idea that one politician should be singled out... for condemnation or praise... I don’t agree with. They’ve all done good and bad things.