Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Coronavirus

Post by zim »

I know the strain we have is different to some of the strains in other countries but there must have been some mutation from the original virus that landed here. It seems more infectious this time around, or is it just a consequence of being in a season where health is generally worse?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

zim wrote:I know the strain we have is different to some of the strains in other countries but there must have been some mutation from the original virus that landed here. It seems more infectious this time around, or is it just a consequence of being in a season where health is generally worse?
There are a number of strains circulating around the world, but as best as I'm aware (and don't quote me on this) they are unimportant mutations with little effect on pathogenicity.

I think the difference here is that we locked down early the first time around, when there was little community spread (not so this time in Melbourne) and people were following the rules. Some of the stories coming out of Melbourne are astounding, such as people going to work despite being positive. A small number of people serving their own interests are feeding this pandemic, and dooming us all.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Thanks for the info. I must admit this time around I haven't been following the news as much so I'm a little ignorant as to the morons in victoria. First time around I was madly following everything that came up.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Reading an article on virus transmission they're roughly 50% more transmissible in colder, less humid environments. So winter is a perfect time, combined with people getting less sunlight thus having lower vitamin D levels and lower immunity.. boom spread

I can't copy the link to my source, but it's a Harvard article "the reason for the season - why flu strikes in winter"

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 31, 2020, 1:37 pm
zim wrote:I know the strain we have is different to some of the strains in other countries but there must have been some mutation from the original virus that landed here. It seems more infectious this time around, or is it just a consequence of being in a season where health is generally worse?
There are a number of strains circulating around the world, but as best as I'm aware (and don't quote me on this) they are unimportant mutations with little effect on pathogenicity.

I think the difference here is that we locked down early the first time around, when there was little community spread (not so this time in Melbourne) and people were following the rules. Some of the stories coming out of Melbourne are astounding, such as people going to work despite being positive. A small number of people serving their own interests are feeding this pandemic, and dooming us all.
Saw a report on the news today that spot checks on people meant to be in quarantine found 1 in 4 were missing. Seriously, what chance do we have when people who know they are infected still go out into the community. :nooo
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:

Saw a report on the news today that spot checks on people meant to be in quarantine found 1 in 4 were missing. Seriously, what chance do we have when people who know they are infected still go out into the community. :nooo
Exactly. It's getting to the point where the only way they get control is a Stage 4 lockdown. All workplaces except hospitals, pharmacies and supermarkets are closed. Need to apply online for a permit to go out. That's how Italy wheeled it back in. I'm not as optimistic as Nick. The 7 day rolling average isn't looking great Image
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The simple fact that at least 130 known COVID-19 carriers are going out and about says they're no chance of keeping it in check.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:The simple fact that at least 130 known COVID-19 carriers are going out and about says they're no chance of keeping it in check.
No, which is why they really need to consider going to Stage 4. My friend was in northern Italy during their lock down. If you were out and about you were stopped by police or military and questioned.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 31, 2020, 2:44 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

Exactly. It's getting to the point where the only way they get control is a Stage 4 lockdown. All workplaces except hospitals, pharmacies and supermarkets are closed. Need to apply online for a permit to go out. That's how Italy wheeled it back in. I'm not as optimistic as Nick. The 7 day rolling average isn't looking great Image
I think another week from now we'll know if what I'm saying is complete garbage or whether there's some element of truth here.

And what I mean is if in another week Victoria is still around the 500 new cases a day mark, then we're doing ok, if they're up around a thousand, then we're all doomed.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: July 31, 2020, 2:44 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

I think another week from now we'll know if what I'm saying is complete garbage or whether there's some element of truth here.

And what I mean is if in another week Victoria is still around the 500 new cases a day mark, then we're doing ok, if they're up around a thousand, then we're all doomed.
Well I hope that you are right old friend. Fingers crossed. There's a first time for everything.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:The simple fact that at least 130 known COVID-19 carriers are going out and about says they're no chance of keeping it in check.
No, which is why they really need to consider going to Stage 4. My friend was in northern Italy during their lock down. If you were out and about you were stopped by police or military and questioned.
Shouldn't your details be registered with the police once your positive?

Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Wouldnt be surprised if those chinese commy ***** have ordered their drones hiding in australia to spread the virus down under again.
This place is woke.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

You believe in the Chinese? Come on now. Or have they got to you too?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

zim wrote:Thanks for the info. I must admit this time around I haven't been following the news as much so I'm a little ignorant as to the morons in victoria. First time around I was madly following everything that came up.
Seems like this is pretty clearly your fault then zim. Lift your game! Image
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I hope no one is operating under the assumption that I have more to give. There's less. A lot less.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Seems unnecessary on behalf of idiots? Surely we can try serious jail sentences for not being home first? Maybe people will give up a couple of weeks pay for the risk of a year in the slammer?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

zim wrote:I hope no one is operating under the assumption that I have more to give. There's less. A lot less.
You get back to following the news right now and fix this bloody mess you’ve made!
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Just turning Paul Murray on now. He'll set me back on the path.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

zim wrote:Just turning Paul Murray on now. He'll set me back on the path.
Good grief! Why do all those presenters on Sky News appear so, so angry all of the time
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 31, 2020, 7:38 pm
Good grief! Why do all those presenters on Sky News appear so, so angry all of the time
I was so surprised when I flicked through the channels and caught the show. I'd listened to him be funny on MMM for ages and never heard a peep of his current nonsense. It was a real what the **** moment.
Can't believe he hid it so well.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

If you ever need reassuring you're doing well in life, watch PML talkback

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Melbourne are moving to Stage 4 restrictions and night time curfew as of tonight. Rural Victoria Stage 3 from Wednesday.

Moved from State of Emergency to a State of Disaster order. Image
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Chinavirus has now found its way to Newcastle.

Covid-19 positive tests amoung the population.

At least two schools closed for cleaning, people in quarantine.

We may all die !!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

-PJ- wrote:Chinavirus has now found its way to Newcastle.

We may all die !!
We're all going to die.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Not me. I’m a bot.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Dr Zaius wrote: August 7, 2020, 8:35 pm

We may all die !!
We're all going to die.
I was hoping for another premiership first.
Then I'd go happily.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

-PJ- wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: August 7, 2020, 8:35 pm

We may all die !!
We're all going to die.
I was hoping for another premiership first.
Then I'd go happily.
No one lives that long
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Except for me. I’m a bot.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gangrenous wrote:Except for me. I’m a bot.
Yes, yes, we know, you're a bot Image
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

gangrenous wrote: August 7, 2020, 9:05 pm Except for me. I’m a bot.
!haiku
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Forum! I’m gonna
Live forever. I’m gonna
Learn how to type, tripe!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »