Coronavirus

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Dr Zaius »

He also flipped on it being a hoax ages ago, but most of his numpties still believe that it is
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

If there’s one positive to come of COVID is that it’ll be the end of Trump’s political career at the end of the year (maybe even sooner). Before Covid I was pretty certain he was going to get re-elected but he’s absolutely no chance now

Sure, it took a worldwide pandemic to bring about his downfall, but gotta take the wins where you can
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

greeneyed wrote: July 27, 2020, 6:54 pm
Sterlk wrote: July 27, 2020, 5:34 pm Doesn't VIC have a reputation for being quite progressive, compared to the other states?
No, they're probably the most conservative State in the country.
Are you sure about that? I think that title might belong to QLD or WA. I always think of this quote when the political leanings of VIC are mentioned:
SMH wrote:Mr Howard also said the Liberal Party could not be too disheartened from its loss in Victoria, a centre-left state which some called "the Massachusetts of Australia".

The reliably Democratic-voting state of Massachusetts, in the US north-east, was the only state not to vote for Republican president Richard Nixon in the landslide 1972 election.
Vote Compass seems to back it up, too:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-12/ ... Queensland.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Sterlk wrote: July 27, 2020, 11:18 pm
greeneyed wrote: July 27, 2020, 6:54 pm
Sterlk wrote: July 27, 2020, 5:34 pm Doesn't VIC have a reputation for being quite progressive, compared to the other states?
No, they're probably the most conservative State in the country.
Are you sure about that? I think that title might belong to QLD or WA. I always think of this quote when the political leanings of VIC are mentioned:
SMH wrote:Mr Howard also said the Liberal Party could not be too disheartened from its loss in Victoria, a centre-left state which some called "the Massachusetts of Australia".

The reliably Democratic-voting state of Massachusetts, in the US north-east, was the only state not to vote for Republican president Richard Nixon in the landslide 1972 election.
Vote Compass seems to back it up, too:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-12/ ... Queensland.
Melbourne is heartland of the Greens too.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Wow America, the day hospitals started reporting covid cases to Trumps team instead of the CDC it miraculously flatlines, states Trump won cases were increasing rapidly but started declining that exact day, states Clinton won cases were slowly increasing and continued to do so, fudging the numbers or massive coincidence?
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I'd wait until the end of the week Bushy. The weekend and Monday numbers are always all over the place
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

The data being examined for that began 13 days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Queensland closing border to Greater Sydney as NSW clusters continue to grow

Queensland is closing its border to Greater Sydney as clusters in NSW continue to grow. On Wednesday morning 19 cases of COVID-19 were confirmed and several were linked to clusters including the western Sydney funerals cluster, the Thai Rock Wetherill Park cluster, and the Potts Point outbreak.

It comes as Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk confirmed Greater Sydney will become a COVID-19 hotspot from 1am on Saturday.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/national/border- ... 55ghw.html

Hopefully, the NRL now knows what it is going to do next...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

About **** time!

I've been advocating for this for YEARS!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The story in QLD today is a pair of 19yo girls came back to Brisbane from Melbourne and have since tested positive. Appears they falsified their entry documents so they didn't have to go into hotel quarantine. Have been going about the community for 8 days so who knows how many they could have infected in that time.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: July 29, 2020, 12:25 pm The story in QLD today is a pair of 19yo girls came back to Brisbane from Melbourne and have since tested positive. Appears they falsified their entry documents so they didn't have to go into hotel quarantine. Have been going about the community for 8 days so who knows how many they could have infected in that time.
Jail.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-PJ- wrote: July 29, 2020, 2:38 pm
Northern Raider wrote: July 29, 2020, 12:25 pm The story in QLD today is a pair of 19yo girls came back to Brisbane from Melbourne and have since tested positive. Appears they falsified their entry documents so they didn't have to go into hotel quarantine. Have been going about the community for 8 days so who knows how many they could have infected in that time.
Jail.
Even better. 28 days hotel quarantine at their expense. That's what they were trying to evade so give it to them now and double down.

...preferably not with Victorian security guards
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

With this news today from Premier Palletstack I fear my family's 2nd attempt to enter QLD in October will not happen..I have a bad bad feeling that crap is going to spiral out of control and QLD will be off limits to ALL NSW residents sooner rather than later.

We had planned a 2 week holiday to the GC in April. Covid-19 squashed it. We lost $$$ but took a deep breathe and decided to try again in late Oct..my 50th. Again we've made prelim arrangements for accomodation, MrsPJ has an itinerary all sorted.

But..now..I don't know if this is going to happen...

I hate you 2020.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: July 29, 2020, 2:43 pm
Jail.
Even better. 28 days hotel quarantine at their expense. That's what they were trying to evade so give it to them now and double down.

Ok..let's do that.
Then jail.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote: July 29, 2020, 2:45 pm With this news today from Premier Palletstack I fear my family's 2nd attempt to enter QLD in October will not happen..I have a bad bad feeling that crap is going to spiral out of control and QLD will be off limits to ALL NSW residents sooner rather than later.

We had planned a 2 week holiday to the GC in April. Covid-19 squashed it. We lost $$$ but took a deep breathe and decided to try again in late Oct..my 50th. Again we've made prelim arrangements for accomodation, MrsPJ has an itinerary all sorted.

I hate you 2020.
Don't panic too much just yet. Even if Qld closes the borders I suspect they could be open again by October.

NSW appears to have things under control and even Victoria is finally starting to plateau/slow down.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-PJ- wrote: July 29, 2020, 3:02 pm
Northern Raider wrote: July 29, 2020, 2:43 pm
Jail.

Ok..let's do that.
Then jail.
Done.

Get it sorted
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The Nickman wrote: July 29, 2020, 3:12 pm
-PJ- wrote: July 29, 2020, 2:45 pm With this news today from Premier Palletstack I fear my family's 2nd attempt to enter QLD in October will not happen..I have a bad bad feeling that crap is going to spiral out of control and QLD will be off limits to ALL NSW residents sooner rather than later.

I hate you 2020.
Don't panic too much just yet. Even if Qld closes the borders I suspect they could be open again by October.

NSW appears to have things under control and even Victoria is finally starting to plateau/slow down.
Let's hope so Nickman. MrsPJ was very upset about our April holiday cancelation. If our Oct trip was canned she'll go right off.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-PJ- wrote: July 29, 2020, 3:36 pm

I hate you 2020.

Let's hope so Nickman. MrsPJ was very upset about our April holiday cancelation. If our Oct trip was canned she'll go right off.
Government might let you in. Nickman on the other hand.... :doubt:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: July 29, 2020, 3:37 pm

I hate you 2020.

I'm not going within 500km of Rocky..

And Nickman won't be any wiser.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:

I hate you 2020.

I'm with Nick on this. NSW have got this, they'll bring it back in.

This was a knee jerk reaction in anticipation of the outcry over the two new cases IMHO.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Vicpol arrested Eve Black. They smashed in her car window as she refused to say where she was going or why, give her details or get out of the car.

https://www.news.com.au/national/victor ... cialBakers
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dr Zaius wrote: July 29, 2020, 7:14 pm Vicpol arrested Eve Black. They smashed in her car window as she refused to say where she was going or why, give her details or get out of the car.

https://www.news.com.au/national/victor ... cialBakers
Shame we going to have these oxygen thieves clogging up our legal system for the next few years.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Little Italy had 723 cases today, masks are now mandatory in the whole state

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Don't be too panicked about the "700" today, as the last two days in Victoria were anomalously low at 370 and 275. The last three days combined are consistent with their 400 cases a day that they've been achieving the last ten days. Today just picked up the slack.

I'm still fairly confident Victoria are now on top of this.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'm VERY concerned

Is it time to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?

Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

That reference works better in emergency situations that aren't associated with an infectious virus.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

The Nickman wrote: July 30, 2020, 11:56 am Don't be too panicked about the "700" today, as the last two days in Victoria were anomalously low at 370 and 275. The last three days combined are consistent with their 400 cases a day that they've been achieving the last ten days. Today just picked up the slack.

I'm still fairly confident Victoria are now on top of this.
I hope so, otherwise it might be time to build a wall around that state.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

3 day average 458 so even averaging it out doesn’t look good.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

papabear wrote:3 day average 458 so even averaging it out doesn’t look good.
Oh yeah, but if you look at the 3 day average it’s been relatively consistent for the last week or so.

I’m not saying the numbers are good, I’m just saying they’re not increasing anymore and the 700 was a bit of a furphy given the two days before it.

Saying all that, they’ll probably have 800 today and blow my theory right out of the water!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Herald Sun reporting Victoria is about to announce more than 600 new cases today and seven deaths. They’ve suffered 55 deaths in a week, which is more than NSW over the pandemic.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: July 31, 2020, 10:23 am The Herald Sun reporting Victoria is about to announce more than 600 new cases today and seven deaths. They’ve suffered 55 deaths in a week, which is more than NSW over the pandemic.
Yeah, it's awful what's happening down there because a few people failed to do the right thing, an absolute tragedy... BUT, I still don't think they're increasing out of control anymore. They're clearly on the flattening part of the curve and should start to decrease again in the next week or so.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Yeah, focussing too much on fluctuations of daily figures is misleading. Those numbers are more reflective of test results being received, which can come in batches. The rolling average gives a clearer picture. It's relatively steady for now. The impact of strict lockdown procedures will not be reflected for a couple of weeks.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

The Nickman wrote: July 31, 2020, 10:41 am
greeneyed wrote: July 31, 2020, 10:23 am The Herald Sun reporting Victoria is about to announce more than 600 new cases today and seven deaths. They’ve suffered 55 deaths in a week, which is more than NSW over the pandemic.
Yeah, it's awful what's happening down there because a few people failed to do the right thing, an absolute tragedy... BUT, I still don't think they're increasing out of control anymore. They're clearly on the flattening part of the curve and should start to decrease again in the next week or so.
out of control is a subjective term..

Same as good, bad, too much, too little..

The numbers do appear to still be trending up though, despite everyone thinking the lockdown would slow them down much more then it did.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

papabear wrote: July 31, 2020, 11:48 am
The Nickman wrote: July 31, 2020, 10:41 am
out of control is a subjective term..

Same as good, bad, too much, too little..

The numbers do appear to still be trending up though, despite everyone thinking the lockdown would slow them down much more then it did.
The numbers ARE slowing down though. The rate of change is absolutely decreasing by any measurable indicator, and that's not a subjective term.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

627 more today