Coronavirus

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Azza
Laurie Daley

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Azza »

Hope the horse is ok. It's life is IMHO more precious than most of the numpties at the protest.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

While your at it Hazzard close the gateway for returned travellers and let the other gimps look after their own.
This place is woke.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Question wrote: July 24, 2021, 7:10 pm While your at it Hazzard close the gateway for returned travellers and let the other gimps look after their own.
The horse has bolted

**** the travellers, don't need them
WorkChoice
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Yeah I know but better to pool resources and let the other fac wits deal with it.
This place is woke.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Question wrote: July 24, 2021, 7:17 pm Yeah I know but better to pool resources and let the other fac wits deal with it.
I see what you did there.
WorkChoice
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

LP Raider wrote: July 24, 2021, 7:14 pm
Question wrote: July 24, 2021, 7:10 pm While your at it Hazzard close the gateway for returned travellers and let the other gimps look after their own.
The horse has bolted

This I actually agree with, but like you say it's too late now. There should have come a point where we basically said that the priority of the health of the community here prevails, and we stop international arrivals UNTIL we have a majority of people vaccinated later in the year.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Notorious antivaxxers and full time oxygen thieves Taylor and Frank Winterstein at the protest. Dumb enough to post it on social media. Image
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Winterstein loyally following his instagram wife as he hasn't a brain cell of his own. I'm surprised Bryce Cartwright isn't with him in the photo.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Azza wrote: July 24, 2021, 7:53 pm
LP Raider wrote: July 24, 2021, 7:14 pm
The horse has bolted

This I actually agree with, but like you say it's too late now. There should have come a point where we basically said that the priority of the health of the community here prevails, and we stop international arrivals UNTIL we have a majority of people vaccinated later in the year.
Pretty much has been my view, at the end of the day what is the end game.

You still have positive cases coming in from overseas yet expect people to go under house arrest, it's laughable.
WorkChoice
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Dr Zaius wrote:Notorious antivaxxers and full time oxygen thieves Taylor and Frank Winterstein at the protest. Dumb enough to post it on social media. Image
Could show a movie on her chin..

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

-TW- wrote: July 24, 2021, 8:19 pm
Dr Zaius wrote:Notorious antivaxxers and full time oxygen thieves Taylor and Frank Winterstein at the protest. Dumb enough to post it on social media. Image

Its Minnie Driver
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

-TW- wrote:

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Everyone aged 18 and above in greater Sydney urged to strongly consider AstraZeneca: ATAGI: https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/healt ... 01fe743592
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Yeah looking like it's headed that way for me. I've been holding off on it hoping for a downturn but it's pretty clear there is a large number of people not following the rules (even before the protest).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

So between them the NSW and Federal Government have now put millions of Australians into the position of choosing: risk dying - or disability - from taking the Astra Zeneca vaccine or risk dying from COVID.

That was avoidable.

What a massive failure of public policy. The opportunity offered by the States' previous strong performance in containing the virus has been completely wasted by the Federal government's failure to quickly vaccinate the country, safely. And to provide proper quarantine. And now utter incompetence from NSW has risked putting the country back where we were in 2020, if not in a worse position.

What I don't understand is how there is such little public scrutiny of the performance of both governments. Absolute debacle.
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

A debacle?
Got to agree.
From the NSW Health directive to let people off the Ruby Princess to now not locking down harder earlier,they haven’t learnt a thing in 16 months.
And as for Scott Morrison he is completely underwhelming in a crisis.He is a cardboard cutout ,an understudies understudy.
I can’t help but wonder the difference if Malcolm Turnbull was still running the show.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

So red wine is the covid vaccine?

Also nice of Winterstein to post a photo so the feds don't have to try identify him as one of the people at the evens by going through footage.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

greeneyed wrote: July 24, 2021, 10:26 pm So between them the NSW and Federal Government have now put millions of Australians into the position of choosing: risk dying - or disability - from taking the Astra Zeneca vaccine or risk dying from COVID.

That was avoidable.

What a massive failure of public policy. The opportunity offered by the States' previous strong performance in containing the virus has been completely wasted by the Federal government's failure to quickly vaccinate the country, safely. And to provide proper quarantine. And now utter incompetence from NSW has risked putting the country back where we were in 2020, if not in a worse position.

What I don't understand is how there is such little public scrutiny of the performance of both governments. Absolute debacle.
While I take your point and don't disagree, I think there is risk no matter what option is chosen. And, the risk of taking AstraZeneca is still smaller in terms of clotting than taking the contraceptive pill. It's gotten the UK out of their mess to a large degree - but that said, the reputation of the vaccine has been completely sullied here.
Lamenting Actions
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

Schifty wrote: July 24, 2021, 11:20 pm Image

So red wine is the covid vaccine?

Also nice of Winterstein to post a photo so the feds don't have to try identify him as one of the people at the evens by going through footage.
The needle in the syringe is a crucifix. Rofl my sides.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Azza wrote:Hope the horse is ok. It's life is IMHO more precious than most of the numpties at the protest.
My old man punched a horse in the head when I was a kid. Horse nipped him and he took a swing. Fractured his hand in multiple places and was out of action for months.

Horses have a strong skull
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

NSW processed 102,223 tests in the last 24 hours. Unbelievable that they had capacity to do that. 7 day average is 84,304 = 590,128 in the last week - 11% of Sydney's population, or 7% of NSWs population. Would give faith that they are detecting most disease. Absolutely amazing numbers.

141 cases - not amazing numbers :( Two deaths, including a woman in her 30s with no comorbidities :(

Superspreader event. 50 people gathered for a mourning, 27 so far have tested positive.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Azza wrote: July 25, 2021, 8:17 am
greeneyed wrote: July 24, 2021, 10:26 pm So between them the NSW and Federal Government have now put millions of Australians into the position of choosing: risk dying - or disability - from taking the Astra Zeneca vaccine or risk dying from COVID.

That was avoidable.

While I take your point and don't disagree, I think there is risk no matter what option is chosen. And, the risk of taking AstraZeneca is still smaller in terms of clotting than taking the contraceptive pill. It's gotten the UK out of their mess to a large degree - but that said, the reputation of the vaccine has been completely sullied here.
I spend much of my working day counseling people about risk - risk of a treatment or intervention, risk of not having that treatment, risk of an investigation, risk of not getting the investigation. None of those decisions carry zero risk. As a whole, people's understanding of risk is generally poor, and very personal, often coloured by theirs's or their friend's/family's previous experiences. I'd offer the same advice to three different people and get three different responses. I won't go in the ocean past my waste, because I'm scared of sharks. Others regularly swim out past the cans. The risk is small, I'm being irrational - but there you go. Autonomy is one of the principles of Medical Ethics, people's decisions need to be respected, even if we don't agree with them. Decisions about AZ are particularly difficult, given the media coverage.

Earlier in the year, with no Covid in the country, and Pfizer on the way, I would not have gotten AZ. If I was in Sydney now, I would. That risk benefit equation has shifted for me, and ATAGI were right to change their advice. ScoMo was wrong to put pressure on them to do so, they need to and be seen to operate independently of political pressure. Risk of death from AZ in Australia, given we are good at treating the clots, is about 1 in a million. Death from Covid in my age group is about 1 in 250.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Hear hear doc
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Unfortunately, people are idiots.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I think most people are content to follow the medical advice. But it has been conflicting. The CMO in Qld had an emotional press conference some weeks ago saying she did not want Queenslanders U/50 being killed by having an AZ vaccine. If she was in Sydney with the current Delta virus outbreak, I wonder what her advice would be. ATAGI have taken the changed circumstances and the virulence of the Delta strain into consideration with their latest advice on AZ for use in Greater Sydney. The feds have lifted the number of Pfizer doses from 150,000 to 200,000 in NSW next week. Here's hoping that can make a positive difference.

I went back to look at the history of the Pfizer vaccine in Australia. In November 2020, 10million doses were ordered. The TGA approved its use in January 2021. A further 10million doses were ordered in February 2021. Then a further 20million doses in April 2021.
https://www.health.gov.au/initiatives-a ... erbiontech
I read earlier today that an additional 60million doses have been ordered for 2022 and 25million for 2023. Clearly multi-year vaccinations for everyone are planned.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 24, 2021, 7:57 pm Notorious antivaxxers and full time oxygen thieves Taylor and Frank Winterstein at the protest. Dumb enough to post it on social media. Image
She got a visit this morning
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I understand the risks and the relative risks. My point is, that the choice people are now being forced to make was avoidable, but for the failures of the Federal Government, and now the NSW Government. And the failures of public policy.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 25, 2021, 3:04 pm
Dr Zaius wrote: July 24, 2021, 7:57 pm Notorious antivaxxers and full time oxygen thieves Taylor and Frank Winterstein at the protest. Dumb enough to post it on social media. Image
I am really despairing for this new strain of anti-intellectualism that has coalesced around the Western world over the last 5-10 years at least.

A post truth hellscape which found its champion (Trump) and found the means by which it succeeds (algorithmic delivery through their social media feeds).

These halfwits, with every fibre of their being, really do think that they are the guardians of the truth. All because they indulged in some confirmation bias harvesting. And with every harvesting session their convictions get stronger, as the algorithms work their correlative magic.
Up The Milk
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Mickey_Raider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: July 25, 2021, 3:04 pm
I am really despairing for this new strain of anti-intellectualism that has coalesced around the Western world over the last 5-10 years at least.

A post truth hellscape which found its champion (Trump) and found the means by which it succeeds (algorithmic delivery through their social media feeds).

These halfwits, with every fibre of their being, really do think that they are the guardians of the truth. All because they indulged in some confirmation bias harvesting. And with every harvesting session their convictions get stronger, as the algorithms work their correlative magic.
Well put
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

From COVID-19 'gold standard' to ‘a national emergency’ — the five weeks that changed everything
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-25/ ... /100318394

Good read
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:I understand the risks and the relative risks. My point is, that the choice people are now being forced to make was avoidable, but for the failures of the Federal Government, and now the NSW Government. And the failures of public policy.
I understand and agree.

The retrospectoscope is a powerful tool, and firing it up, you, me, ScoMo, the general population, all of us were probably naive to think that we'd get through the pandemic without another significant outbreak. That there was time to wait to get the population vaccinated.

I don't blame the Feds for putting their eggs in the AZ/UQ vaccine baskets. The UQ vaccine toppled first, then AZ has been problematic.

I do blame them for the lack of urgency in securing additional Pfizer and reaching out to Moderna when the problems were realised. But most of all, I'm pissed that they just expected that the vaccines would be delivered to the nation by GPs in their spare time, and at a loss. To me, this has been the most predicable and single biggest failing. Ultimately the states have had to carry the burdon of yet another Federal screw up.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

greeneyed wrote: July 25, 2021, 3:05 pm I understand the risks and the relative risks. My point is, that the choice people are now being forced to make was avoidable, but for the failures of the Federal Government, and now the NSW Government. And the failures of public policy.
Agreed. Anyone who has worked for the public service at any time, should be burnt at the stake.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

After yesterday I'm resolved to the notion that it doesn't matter what politicians or health officials do. The population will eventually screw everything up through general stupidity.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Northern Raider wrote:After yesterday I'm resolved to the notion that it doesn't matter what politicians or health officials do. The population will eventually screw everything up through general stupidity.
Nailed it.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yep. I've said all along this virus' greatest strength is human stupidity. The Melbourne hotel quarantine debacle last year was a prime example too.