Coronavirus

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Re: Coronavirus

Post by MrPosh »

How's the vaccination programme going down there? I wondered if the fact that, as a country, you've dealt with Covid well means people aren't rushing for a vaccine.

As you know, we've handled it terribly - right up to when the government stepped back and let the health service run the vaccination programme.

That has been an incredible success, with really high take up rates (albeit with am alternative of death).

I had my first jab yesterday. Got a bloody sore arm today, but nothing else.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Does anyone , I mean anyone, give me a chance of making my WA trip in mid April? I'll eat my hat now.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

MrPosh wrote:How's the vaccination programme going down there? I wondered if the fact that, as a country, you've dealt with Covid well means people aren't rushing for a vaccine.

As you know, we've handled it terribly - right up to when the government stepped back and let the health service run the vaccination programme.

That has been an incredible success, with really high take up rates (albeit with am alternative of death).

It's been a shambles mate. Both from the state and federal governments. We had so much more time to get this right than most places. The UK, US, Israel are doing phenomenal numbers. Why they didn't look to those countries and replicate what works is beyond me. They're pretty much just expecting GPs to vaccinate most of the population while carrying on their usual work.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Azza wrote:Does anyone , I mean anyone, give me a chance of making my WA trip in mid April? I'll eat my hat now.
Where do you live?
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Sydney
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Azza wrote:Sydney

I think that you'll know in the next few days. If cases start popping up in Byron...
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

That's my point. I think that's inevitable.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I would never book flight to WA with any confidence. They shut the border when somebody sneezes.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Dr Zaius wrote: March 30, 2021, 7:19 pm
MrPosh wrote:How's the vaccination programme going down there? I wondered if the fact that, as a country, you've dealt with Covid well means people aren't rushing for a vaccine.

It's been a shambles mate. Both from the state and federal governments. We had so much more time to get this right than most places. The UK, US, Israel are doing phenomenal numbers. Why they didn't look to those countries and replicate what works is beyond me. They're pretty much just expecting GPs to vaccinate most of the population while carrying on their usual work.
Ugh, not good.

My appointment was remarkable. One town over, but in a large sports complex.

In the 30 minutes or so I was there, there must've been 100 people getting jabbed.

There were 30-40 volunteers helping to keep it running smoothly and another ten or so medical professionals administering the jab. As far as I'm aware, they're volunteering their time, too.

Everyone happy, smiling, helpful and polite. The absolute best of British (only possible when we're not being right-wing, Brexity dicks).

Incredible stuff. It's quite a fillip after so much suffering.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

MrPosh wrote: March 30, 2021, 10:00 pm
Dr Zaius wrote: March 30, 2021, 7:19 pm

Ugh, not good.

My appointment was remarkable. One town over, but in a large sports complex.

In the 30 minutes or so I was there, there must've been 100 people getting jabbed.

There were 30-40 volunteers helping to keep it running smoothly and another ten or so medical professionals administering the jab. As far as I'm aware, they're volunteering their time, too.

Everyone happy, smiling, helpful and polite. The absolute best of British (only possible when we're not being right-wing, Brexity dicks).

Incredible stuff. It's quite a fillip after so much suffering.
That sounds like the way to do it. Ours has been bogged down by multiple layers of government and jurisdictions. Compounded by bureaucrats getting in each other's way.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Coronavirus

Post by Rick »

Ours has been stuffed by the feds wanting to lead the program but not do any of the heavy
lifting.
Last edited by Rick on March 30, 2021, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Dr Zaius wrote:A case on the GC.

The nurse attended a bucks night in Byron. The stripper has tested positive. He works as a trade on the GC and has been to various work sites including an aged car facility.

But of a cock up, but I've know doubt that the public health unit will get in their and grab it by the balls.
Have we had confirmation if he was in the Aged Care Facility in his capacity as a tradie, or a stripper?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Byron Bay blues festival this weekend. What could possibly go wrong?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: March 31, 2021, 6:09 am
Dr Zaius wrote:A case on the GC.

The nurse attended a bucks night in Byron. The stripper has tested positive. He works as a trade on the GC and has been to various work sites including an aged car facility.

But of a cock up, but I've know doubt that the public health unit will get in their and grab it by the balls.
Have we had confirmation if he was in the Aged Care Facility in his capacity as a tradie, or a stripper?
Potentially both?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Rick wrote: March 30, 2021, 10:47 pm Ours has been stuffed by the feds wanting to lead the program but not do any of the heavy
lifting.
That's because the states control health services. Until they're willing to relinquish control to the Feds this will always be the case.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Ah well. That's it then. I'm sure that monkey in WA will shut the borders to NSW now.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Northern Raider wrote: March 31, 2021, 7:50 am
Rick wrote: March 30, 2021, 10:47 pm Ours has been stuffed by the feds wanting to lead the program but not do any of the heavy
lifting.
That's because the states control health services. Until they're willing to relinquish control to the Feds this will always be the case.
You can’t with a straight face blame anyone but the Feds for the fact that we have fallen short of the vaccination target by a trifling 3.5 million.

Even Gladys and the NSW libs are furious that the Feds are trying to blame states for the pathetic rollout.
Up The Milk
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Also, are we all aware that quarantine is a constitutional responsibility of the Federal government?

They could literally create a program whereby every new arrival to Australia is taken directly to a federal quarantine facility.

This would serve the dual purpose of stripping the clearly “incompetent” and “draconian” state premiers of quarantine responsibility and removing the impetus of shutting borders.

Of course the drawback would be that the Feds would have one more responsibility and one less thing to blame the states about. For an administration highly averse to accepting accountability for anything, such a proposal is probably fanciful.
Up The Milk
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yeah well the Feds and Mr Morrison, after a promising start last year when this all broke for the first time, have not covered themselves in glory since.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Mickey_Raider wrote: March 31, 2021, 12:54 pm
lifting.
You can’t with a straight face blame anyone but the Feds for the fact that we have fallen short of the vaccination target by a trifling 3.5 million.

Even Gladys and the NSW libs are furious that the Feds are trying to blame states for the pathetic rollout.
Haha, think you need to take the blinkers off. I'm getting a pretty good idea which side of politics you sit on trying to lump everything into one.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Azza wrote: March 31, 2021, 1:35 pm Yeah well the Feds and Mr Morrison, after a promising start last year when this all broke for the first time, have not covered themselves in glory since.
Yes, in fairness pulling together the National Cabinet and keeping more or less a unity ticket with the states and unions for the better part of 2020 was fully deserving of praise.

But 2021 cannot be described as anything other than a nightmare for the Feds, surely.
Up The Milk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Mickey_Raider wrote: March 31, 2021, 1:03 pm Also, are we all aware that quarantine is a constitutional responsibility of the Federal government?

They could literally create a program whereby every new arrival to Australia is taken directly to a federal quarantine facility.

This would serve the dual purpose of stripping the clearly “incompetent” and “draconian” state premiers of quarantine responsibility and removing the impetus of shutting borders.

Of course the drawback would be that the Feds would have one more responsibility and one less thing to blame the states about. For an administration highly averse to accepting accountability for anything, such a proposal is probably fanciful.
This one is pretty simple. While the Feds had the authority to take over quarantine it was unanimously agreed to at National Cabinet that the states would retain control of this process within their own boarders with the assistance of Federal Government. This was because the States run the primary health authorities and emergency services. ALL the respective leaders agreed to this system.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Northern Raider wrote: March 31, 2021, 1:37 pm
lifting.

Haha, think you need to take the blinkers off. I'm getting a pretty good idea which side of politics you sit on trying to lump everything into one.
It is not exactly a tough case to crack to discover that I am not a fan of the current administration.

As for the blinkers, unless you're suggesting that the states are part of some grand conspiracy to horde millions of vaccination doses in reserve to spite the federal government, I am not sure what you're getting at.

The feds procure the vaccine, and they aren't anywhere near their own targets.
Up The Milk
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Northern Raider wrote: March 31, 2021, 1:43 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: March 31, 2021, 1:03 pm Also, are we all aware that quarantine is a constitutional responsibility of the Federal government?

This one is pretty simple. While the Feds had the authority to take over quarantine it was unanimously agreed to at National Cabinet that the states would retain control of this process within their own boarders with the assistance of Federal Government. This was because the States run the primary health authorities and emergency services. ALL the respective leaders agreed to this system.
I am aware of the arrangements that have been put into place.

What I am saying is that if there is a prevailing consternation with nefarious premiers locking down and destroying the economy, particularly in light of the abysmal vaccine rollout so far, perhaps the Feds should wrest back control and show the states how it is done?
Up The Milk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Mickey_Raider wrote: March 31, 2021, 1:50 pm
lifting.

It is not exactly a tough case to crack to discover that I am not a fan of the current administration.

As for the blinkers, unless you're suggesting that the states are part of some grand conspiracy to horde millions of vaccination doses in reserve to spite the federal government, I am not sure what you're getting at.

Yes, the feds procure the vaccine and the states primarily roll out the administering of them. CHO of QLD is on record saying they have been stockpiling the vaccine for later doses.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Northern Raider wrote: March 31, 2021, 2:00 pm

Yes, the feds procure the vaccine and the states primarily roll out the administering of them. CHO of QLD is on record saying they have been stockpiling the vaccine for later doses.
Yes, "stockpiling" to ensure supply for the second dose. We are talking 40,000.

We are 3.5 million short of the target nationally :lol:
Up The Milk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Mickey_Raider wrote: March 31, 2021, 2:05 pm

Except the feds said it wasn't necessary to do so.

I'm not going to waste any more time on this as your position is crystal clear and nothing will alter that.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Northern Raider wrote: March 31, 2021, 2:18 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: March 31, 2021, 2:05 pm

Except the feds said it wasn't necessary to do so.

I'm not going to waste any more time on this as your position is crystal clear and nothing will alter that.
It isn't so much a "position" as just the cold hard facts mate.

Even if you give the feds every benefit of the doubt and try and squeeze every possible ounce of culpability out of the states....they are still not even remotely or vaguely close to the procurement target they set, a target I might add which they overtly stated was carefully planned and deliberately cautious.

Even scotty's marketing team will find it hard to spin this one as anything other than a dismal failure.
Up The Milk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Sorry Mickey. You're on train tracks here and not going to divert the course. I'm tapping out.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Northern Raider wrote: March 31, 2021, 2:47 pm Sorry Mickey. You're on train tracks here and not going to divert the course. I'm tapping out.
c.f "I'm fresh out of rebuttals so I am going to pretend that we are at a mere impasse and you are unreasonable".
Up The Milk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Mickey_Raider wrote: March 31, 2021, 2:53 pm
Northern Raider wrote: March 31, 2021, 2:47 pm Sorry Mickey. You're on train tracks here and not going to divert the course. I'm tapping out.
c.f "I'm fresh out of rebuttals so I am going to pretend that we are at a mere impasse and you are unreasonable".
Gee, how did I know you would come back like that. :lol:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

gergreg wrote:Byron Bay blues festival this weekend. What could possibly go wrong?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
NSW govt has canned it via health order

Smart decision

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Very, very smart. Byron already has it's fair share of irresponsible idiots without risking a highly contagious covid strain getting out of hand.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

There are multiple reasons for delay in the vaccine roll-out. Many of them due to incompetance at both state and federal levels.

Europe blocked exportation slowed arrival.

That said we have hundreds of thousands of doses in the country that are yet to be delivered. Therefore the issue is distribution, not supply

Vaccinating hospital workers is on the states. The Feds have provided adequate vaccines to the state to cover the 1a crowd. Some hospital admin staff who have never been in a room with a patient have been vaccinated, while as we have seen, some front line workers who come in contact with known covid patients have not been vaccinated. That is an issue with the way that the states have distributed it.

The Feds are responsible for rolling out to aged care and the general community. From what I can tell with aged care things have progressed well. But the general community is a cluster ****. They are essentially expecting that GPs will immunise the entire community, and do it at a loss. It's a debacle.

So to settle the Feds v State debate that NR and Mickey are having. They are both ****. But it's Queensland Health that have ruined my Easter.

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Why oh why hasn't WA closed their borders yet?! WONT SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN