Coronavirus

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Northern Raider »

The Nickman wrote: March 23, 2020, 10:47 am I've been saying for a while now that schools should be shut already, and I stand by that. It's the easiest way to avoid community transmission, because everybody who's ever had a kid KNOWS those dirty little **** will spread the plague quicker than anything else. I understand the need to have health workers on the frontline, but if flattening the curve is the initial gameplan, still allowing kids to go to school now is going to prove to be absolutely disastrous in the next few weeks.
You've been saying a lot of things. It's about time the government recognised you as the preeminent authority on the topic. Send them an email offering your advisory services. I'm happy to provide a reference for you if needed.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

bonehead wrote:
Manbush wrote:On a positive note I’m now getting a seat on the train to work every morning, trains have about 10% of their normal passengers.
not for much longer in nsw, passenger trains will be stopped.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Can’t complain about the reliability if they aren’t running at all
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Uber and Ola are licking their lips

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Just as long as they're not licking my lips.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

zim wrote: March 23, 2020, 12:53 pm Just as long as they're not licking my lips.
Why, what's wrong with your lips?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Let's just say the new world regards certain currencies at a premium.
No free rides.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

**** the NRL, promote Peter Vlandys to PM.

What a legend.
WorkChoice
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: March 23, 2020, 10:41 am Yeah that's fair I guess. The real issue for me is that maybe that decision could have been made a week ago, with the provision of healthcare workers still having the option to keep their children in school if required. Now it's like we've done nothing about it for a week because of that issue - healthcare workers - and now we've completely flipped to the other end of the spectrum.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
100%
They could have easily figured out it was going this way on Friday, and given everyone the weekend to sort it out. But once they procrastinated on the decision until Sunday night, they had to open Monday
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Looks like NRL will be shutting down
WorkChoice
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

On a positive note, there has been an uptick to just over 90 in those who have recovered from Covid-19. Yes the numbers confirmed are going up way too fast, but at last there is firming evidence in Australia that the treatments are working.

Whichever body is responsible for allowing people confirmed with the virus off the Cruise Ship Ruby Princess in Sydney need a public boot where the sun don't shine. In this time of heightened awareness, for this to happen beggars belief.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

RedRaider wrote: March 23, 2020, 4:45 pm On a positive note, there has been an uptick to just over 90 in those who have recovered from Covid-19. Yes the numbers confirmed are going up way too fast, but at last there is firming evidence in Australia that the treatments are working.

Whichever body is responsible for allowing people confirmed with the virus off the Cruise Ship Ruby Princess in Sydney need a public boot where the sun don't shine. In this time of heightened awareness, for this to happen beggars belief.
Some more positive news is that Spain, Italy and France are all showing signs of slowing down their infection rate, while Germany definitely looks like it is. With less than 100 deaths, Germany really is the beacon of light, and comparisons between their health system and ours have been made before. Let's hope they're accurate.

But whatever you do, don't look at America. What's happening over there is rapidly evolving into something beyond a catastrophe.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

The Nickman wrote: March 23, 2020, 4:54 pm
RedRaider wrote: March 23, 2020, 4:45 pm On a positive note, there has been an uptick to just over 90 in those who have recovered from Covid-19. Yes the numbers confirmed are going up way too fast, but at last there is firming evidence in Australia that the treatments are working.

Some more positive news is that Spain, Italy and France are all showing signs of slowing down their infection rate, while Germany definitely looks like it is. With less than 100 deaths, Germany really is the beacon of light, and comparisons between their health system and ours have been made before. Let's hope they're accurate.

But whatever you do, don't look at America. What's happening over there is rapidly evolving into something beyond a catastrophe.
Indeed, states are in big trouble.

Will be the fall of an empire, has happened all through history,
WorkChoice
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Nickman wrote: March 23, 2020, 4:54 pm

Yep, real concerning whats going to happen in the USA.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

It will self destruct, there would be a serious fear that it just turns to complete anarchy

Their muppet president will have cost himself 4 more years by being so pig headed as well

Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

-TW- wrote:It will self destruct, there would be a serious fear that it just turns to complete anarchy

Their muppet president will have cost himself 4 more years by being so pig headed as well

Luckily the average American doesn’t have access to lots of high power weapons or thing could get really crazy over there.

Oh wait.

I have grave concerns for the US
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

TGA has in the past few days approved half a dozen diagnostic tests. Some of them point of care (rapid)

Australian Financial Review reports that we have ordered half a million finger prick antibody tests, supposed to arrive this week. 96% sensitive at Day 5 when compared to the current PCR test. Could be a game changer.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dr Zaius wrote: March 23, 2020, 8:06 pm TGA has in the past few days approved half a dozen diagnostic tests. Some of them point of care (rapid)

Australian Financial Review reports that we have ordered half a million finger prick antibody tests, supposed to arrive this week. 96% sensitive at Day 5 when compared to the current PCR test. Could be a game changer.
That sounds good but forgive my ignorance on some terminology. What's a PCR test?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Northern Raider wrote: March 23, 2020, 8:26 pm
Dr Zaius wrote: March 23, 2020, 8:06 pm TGA has in the past few days approved half a dozen diagnostic tests. Some of them point of care (rapid)

That sounds good but forgive my ignorance on some terminology. What's a PCR test?
Ha! Loser didn't know what a polymerase chain reaction test is! Obviously, and just off the top of my head, the PCR analysis is a laboratory technique. The purpose of PCR testing is to find small amounts of DNA in a sample, using a process known as amplification. During PCR amplification, the DNA of interest is copied repeatedly until there is enough of it for analysis and detection. I mean, this is basic stuff mate.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

T_R wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: March 23, 2020, 8:26 pm

Ha! Loser didn't know what a polymerase chain reaction test is! Obviously, and just off the top of my head, the PCR analysis is a laboratory technique. The purpose of PCR testing is to find small amounts of DNA in a sample, using a process known as amplification. During PCR amplification, the DNA of interest is copied repeatedly until there is enough of it for analysis and detection. I mean, this is basic stuff mate.
Pretty much. Small detail. Rona is an RNA virus.

PCR generally considered gold standard testing for infectious diseases.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Blame Google. I've never heard of PCR and can hardly spell it.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Had our first case in one of our schools today.

Today was a complete and utter pig **** of a **** show.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Your kids school?

Lots of debate about closing the schools.

Experience overseas is that children can get it, but get it significantly less often than adults, don't seem to pass it between each other much (more likely to get it from an adult), and when they do get it, rarely have severe disease.

There has been quite a few cases at school lately, including Lyneham High.

Was this a teenager TR?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Sorry, no, our English school in Sydney. Adult, not sure about age. Spanish lass, has been in Australia for months.

**** this. I'm not enjoying the apocalypse anywhere NEAR as much as I thought I would. There's a lot more paperwork than I would have imagined.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

And I hope everyone enjoyed my insightful article in The Australian today. "We're ****. Deeply, deeply **** "

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Think he's talking about his language schools.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Northern Raider wrote: March 23, 2020, 9:03 pm Think he's talking about his language schools.
Former language schools. Currently potential indoor cricket centres.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

T_R wrote: March 23, 2020, 9:06 pm
Northern Raider wrote: March 23, 2020, 9:03 pm Think he's talking about his language schools.
Is indoor cricket still a thing?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Dr Zaius wrote:Image

Your kids school?

Experience overseas is that children can get it, but get it significantly less often than adults, don't seem to pass it between each other much (more likely to get it from an adult), and when they do get it, rarely have severe disease.

Was this a teenager TR?
How have they worked that out? Given the test limitations, do they have enough testing on asymptomatic children to know how many are catching it and just not showing?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Northern Raider wrote:
Not atm it's not

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:
Who wants to tell him?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gangrenous wrote:

Your kids school?

Was this a teenager TR?
How have they worked that out? Given the test limitations, do they have enough testing on asymptomatic children to know how many are catching it and just not showing?
Published studies from China
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

This is an interesting read compared to the original SARS of 02/03

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lani ... 8/fulltext

Also has anyone figured out how the **** not to touch your face?

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Dr Zaius wrote:
gangrenous wrote:

Your kids school?

Was this a teenager TR?
Published studies from China
But how have the Chinese researchers established that?
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

With all the posts I might have missed this being added but this is an interesting list on who's working on what for treatment and vaccines:
https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/19/an- ... velopment/
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
Who wants to tell him?
Oh, ****

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk