Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Coronavirus

Post by The Nickman »

Manbush wrote:
The Nickman wrote: March 22, 2020, 4:05 pm
Northern Raider wrote:General question. Is there a way of seeing location of the current cases? See plenty of numbers by state but nothing more detailed than that.
Most of the cases in Queensland are in SEQ, notably the Gold Coast, with a few on the Sunny Coast.

If the government really wants to “flatten the curve” they’ll ban all non-essential travels between towns ASAP. That makes a lot more sense to me than banning people from going to a cafe in towns that don’t have the virus.
There’s a fair few in Brisbane to mate. Target at Carindale had to close for a day to disinfect because a staff member was confirmed, same with a restaurant near where I work in Toombul, a casual I worked with last week is in isolation as her house mate is suspected of having it, the uni had a couple and they’re just the ones I’ve heard about.
Last time I checked Brisbane was firmly in SEQ, mate.

Good grief
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote:
The Nickman wrote: March 22, 2020, 9:12 am I know I’ve said this before, but how does China have this COMPLETELY under control? Their only new cases are people coming back in from other countries.

How does a country that size have this thing completely beaten when literally NOTHING is working in Italy?

Surely they’ve got a treatment that works, surely ref? Whether it’s the malaria or HIV treatment or some combination of the two with something else, why aren’t we trying to roll out the same thing? Are we truly held back by red tape and “clinical trials” here in the west?
Well, after they ignored the issue for weeks, the authorities finally got on the front foot and literally welded the front doors shut on a very large number of apartment blocks across the Hubei province. Lock the walking dead indoors, or send them to prison if they disobey orders. Virus stopped.

They did a few things with anti-virals and HIV medication (which didn't work) too.

Amazing what you can do (or ignore) when you're a Communist regime.
I just don’t believe that for a second, there’s just no way that’s been effective in a country the population size and density of China... how has there been no other breakouts? There’s no possible way, it just doesn’t make sense
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Northern Raider wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: March 22, 2020, 6:22 pm
yeh raiders wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: March 22, 2020, 5:55 pm
-TW- wrote: March 22, 2020, 5:54 pm Or that stupid McCafe ad where old mates cutting laps of the drive thru

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
That one is just stupid
I saw that ad the other day and turned to my brother saying “I wish I was the last line of defence in their Marketing dept.... who the **** comes with this ****”

I bet they spent an absolute fortune getting an agency to do it.
100% if we get through this Covid times, we need to ditch our jobs and become some form of consultant. Swoop in, come up with **** ideas, get paid
1. Get through Coronavirus
2. Become a consultant
3. ????
4. Profit

It's just crazy enough to work.
Either that, or now that the states are closing their borders, my recent dream of smuggling homemade ciders between states could come into fruition.
All I need is for Scomo to put a ban on alcohol, and I’m set
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

As long as the bottle shops stay open Fui..

All essential services to shut down in 48hrs.

Supermarkets among other joints to remain open.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It's probably best not to believe too much information that is coming out of China: https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/beiji ... 54blj.html
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Nickman wrote: March 22, 2020, 6:53 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:
The Nickman wrote: March 22, 2020, 9:12 am I know I’ve said this before, but how does China have this COMPLETELY under control? Their only new cases are people coming back in from other countries.

How does a country that size have this thing completely beaten when literally NOTHING is working in Italy?

Surely they’ve got a treatment that works, surely ref? Whether it’s the malaria or HIV treatment or some combination of the two with something else, why aren’t we trying to roll out the same thing? Are we truly held back by red tape and “clinical trials” here in the west?
Well, after they ignored the issue for weeks, the authorities finally got on the front foot and literally welded the front doors shut on a very large number of apartment blocks across the Hubei province. Lock the walking dead indoors, or send them to prison if they disobey orders. Virus stopped.

They did a few things with anti-virals and HIV medication (which didn't work) too.

Amazing what you can do (or ignore) when you're a Communist regime.
I just don’t believe that for a second, there’s just no way that’s been effective in a country the population size and density of China... how has there been no other breakouts? There’s no possible way, it just doesn’t make sense
We are talking about a communist country who ignored the issue for weeks on end. Who cares if it killed a few thousand factory workers?

Dunno. The people there are also good at doing what they are told, unlike the Italians, French, Spanish and Americans.

I'm sure a combination of good behaviour, authoritative rule, dodgy statistics and experimental medication all helped.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

I'd give as much credit to the Chinese stats as the Russian stats.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
yeh raiders wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: March 22, 2020, 5:55 pm That one is just stupid
I saw that ad the other day and turned to my brother saying “I wish I was the last line of defence in their Marketing dept.... who the **** comes with this ****”

100% if we get through this Covid times, we need to ditch our jobs and become some form of consultant. Swoop in, come up with **** ideas, get paid
2. Become a consultant
3. ????
4. Profit

Either that, or now that the states are closing their borders, my recent dream of smuggling homemade ciders between states could come into fruition.
I will find you beer baron

Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

yeh raiders wrote: March 22, 2020, 5:11 pm Scott Morrison is cactus. Any chance of recovering from the bush fire’s is pretty much gone.
I saw an article a few days ago that his numbers were improving off the back of this, and he's preferred PM again.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Maybe there is some credence in the Russian numbers Image
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Sterlk wrote: March 22, 2020, 7:45 pm
yeh raiders wrote: March 22, 2020, 5:11 pm Scott Morrison is cactus. Any chance of recovering from the bush fire’s is pretty much gone.
I saw an article a few days ago that his numbers were improving off the back of this, and he's preferred PM again.
Numbers also said he’d comfortably lose the last election.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

He was interviewed on ABC a couple of hours ago and was just awful.

The question was "if I am a lawyer or accountant, should I go to work tomorrow?"

He waffled and he dodged and he have no clear answer. He essentially deferred it to the states.

It should have been a simple, clear and strong answer.

If you can take leave, take leave. If you can work from home then work from home
If your work is essential and can't work from home, go to work.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

-TW- wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
yeh raiders wrote: I saw that ad the other day and turned to my brother saying “I wish I was the last line of defence in their Marketing dept.... who the **** comes with this ****”

2. Become a consultant
3. ????
4. Profit

I will find you beer baron

No you won’t!
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

China quarantined the positive cases, we are currently sending infected people back home to infect other people in the household. They're calling it self isolation or some rubbish.

The WA premiere is the only one making sense, they will quarantine infected people off some island in WA.
WorkChoice
Ron78
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Ron78 »

The worst has not even arrived.......Just wait until the Jehovah Witnesses figure out everybody is at home.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Dr Zaius wrote: March 22, 2020, 7:47 pm Maybe there is some credence in the Russian numbers Image
😂 We don't want you filling up our hospitals with your pissant colds either! Stay at home and die, comrades.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

The Nickman wrote: March 22, 2020, 6:51 pm
Manbush wrote:
The Nickman wrote: March 22, 2020, 4:05 pm
Northern Raider wrote:General question. Is there a way of seeing location of the current cases? See plenty of numbers by state but nothing more detailed than that.
Most of the cases in Queensland are in SEQ, notably the Gold Coast, with a few on the Sunny Coast.

If the government really wants to “flatten the curve” they’ll ban all non-essential travels between towns ASAP. That makes a lot more sense to me than banning people from going to a cafe in towns that don’t have the virus.
There’s a fair few in Brisbane to mate. Target at Carindale had to close for a day to disinfect because a staff member was confirmed, same with a restaurant near where I work in Toombul, a casual I worked with last week is in isolation as her house mate is suspected of having it, the uni had a couple and they’re just the ones I’ve heard about.
Last time I checked Brisbane was firmly in SEQ, mate.

Good grief
Yep but since NR (last I was aware) was in Brisbane I’d thought I’d point out Brisbane’s got more than a few since you pointed out the two Coasts.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:It's probably best not to believe too much information that is coming out of China: https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/beiji ... 54blj.html
Wow. Over to you Mr Trump.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I wonder if this will knock globalisation back a few pegs, and force countries to think a bit more about being self sufficient

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Beards till lock down finishes?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

zim wrote: March 22, 2020, 11:07 pm Beards till lock down finishes?
Goodness no... but It sounds like a good idea for WearGreen!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

greeneyed wrote:
zim wrote: March 22, 2020, 11:07 pm Beards till lock down finishes?
Goodness no... but It sounds like a good idea for WearGreen!
I've begun, never had the clear run to fill my beard in from goatee to full beard.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Not entirely sure I understand the rationale of ACT schools shutting tomorrow? If you're shutting down to limit the spread do it effective immediately. You might want to give families an extra day to make the necessary arrangements but c'mon families should have known this was coming sooner rather than later and been ready. We're not letting our kids go to school today as it makes absolutely no sense for them to go.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I asked my sister to keep my nephews home. She said they need to go and get all of their stuff. Reasonable I guess.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

On a positive note I’m now getting a seat on the train to work every morning, trains have about 10% of their normal passengers.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

They've shuttered one side of our business and all employees are now working from home.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I'm very confident with our position in Australia given the incredible levels of expertise we have to call on. It appears everybody with a Facebook or Twitter account knows exactly what should be done.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

gergreg wrote: March 23, 2020, 6:52 am Not entirely sure I understand the rationale of ACT schools shutting tomorrow? If you're shutting down to limit the spread do it effective immediately. You might want to give families an extra day to make the necessary arrangements but c'mon families should have known this was coming sooner rather than later and been ready. We're not letting our kids go to school today as it makes absolutely no sense for them to go.

I've had my kids home over a week, I think Australia should adopt the British policy.

Don't think shutting down schools is the answer atm, however they may need them for other purposes later on.
WorkChoice
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote: March 23, 2020, 6:52 am Not entirely sure I understand the rationale of ACT schools shutting tomorrow? If you're shutting down to limit the spread do it effective immediately. You might want to give families an extra day to make the necessary arrangements but c'mon families should have known this was coming sooner rather than later and been ready. We're not letting our kids go to school today as it makes absolutely no sense for them to go.

Same reason they banned crowds of over 500 people on the Friday "effective Monday" I guess.

Because they're **** IDIOTS
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Manbush wrote:On a positive note I’m now getting a seat on the train to work every morning, trains have about 10% of their normal passengers.
not for much longer in nsw, passenger trains will be stopped.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Its simple logisitics. You cant shut down schools 12 hours before kids are due to go and parents need to go to work
You have to give the population time to receive the notification of school closures and then give them time to adjust their working/home schedule.

Otherwise you have parents showing up today to drop their kids off, who for what ever reason didnt get the message, and/or healthcare professionals failing to show up to work in mass because they havent had time to make alternative arranagments

It's totally different to not attending sporting events, which can be (and should have been cancelled) without much if any notice. Schools closing has much wider implications, society wide. You need to give people adequate notice to get their affairs in order.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

That's where that argument starts and ends really. People seeing the notice that schools will shut are free to take immediate measures if they're able.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Yeah that's fair I guess. The real issue for me is that maybe that decision could have been made a week ago, with the provision of healthcare workers still having the option to keep their children in school if required. Now it's like we've done nothing about it for a week because of that issue - healthcare workers - and now we've completely flipped to the other end of the spectrum.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I've been saying for a while now that schools should be shut already, and I stand by that. It's the easiest way to avoid community transmission, because everybody who's ever had a kid KNOWS those dirty little **** will spread the plague quicker than anything else. I understand the need to have health workers on the frontline, but if flattening the curve is the initial gameplan, still allowing kids to go to school now is going to prove to be absolutely disastrous in the next few weeks.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: March 23, 2020, 10:05 am

Its simple logisitics. You cant shut down schools 12 hours before kids are due to go and parents need to go to work
You have to give the population time to receive the notification of school closures and then give them time to adjust their working/home schedule.

Otherwise you have parents showing up today to drop their kids off, who for what ever reason didnt get the message, and/or healthcare professionals failing to show up to work in mass because they havent had time to make alternative arranagments

It's totally different to not attending sporting events, which can be (and should have been cancelled) without much if any notice. Schools closing has much wider implications, society wide. You need to give people adequate notice to get their affairs in order.
Point well made. There's no simple solutions here. Schools closing will have a bigger impact on current society than most other actions. Hard to drop in on people instantly. Nobody is being told they have to send their kids either. People can make the choice to keep them home.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.